Thoughts on 2012 LG LS5700 series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Am planning on buying this tv. The 42" model.

But i have read that this tv doesnt have 24p capability. Is it true??
This is the higher end tv of NON-3D series and had hoped that this would be capable of playing 24p content properly.

And also the site states the motion clarity index of this tv is 200 but where as its 500 for the last years LV5500 series. Does it mean there is significant PQ loss in motion?

I dont want a 3d tv and thought the LV5500 to be a good choice but seeing the LS5700 series as successor, i thought it would be better.
The LV series had good reviews, but there are not much reviews yet and there are mixed reviews on amazon.
What do you people think about this tv?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

anybody?? Please help.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Check the user's manual to find out if the TV will accept 1080p/24. If yes then the TV will accept it and most likely convert it to 60fps using 3:2 pulldown. You do not want to actually watch anything at 24fps since imoving items would look like jumping frogs.
If you are using a BR player to get the 24fps content you are better off having the BR player output at 1080i.
post #4 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I recently purchased a Sony EX640. It was between the LG LS5700 and the Sony. They were both side by side at HHGregg, both in 40/42 versions and 46/47 versions. I really wanted to like the LG the best, but after two long visits of about 20-30 minutes each of watching both, I ultimately selected the Sony.

Both pictures were excellent, and if they hadn't been side by side, I would have probably picked the LG, especially since that's the one I had in mind when I went into the store. However, the Sony had marginally better whites and the overall picture quality just seemed a tad crisper on the Sony. I had heard that LG's blacks aren't as good overall, and while that may true, I couldn't tell much of a difference (if any) in the display models. I guess it was the brighter whites that tipped the scales in Sony's favor for me.

Both TVs, however, seemed to be worthwhile choices and I would have probably been happy with either one. Good luck in your selection.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies..

@walford
The manuals are not so helpful. So i checked with the support chat but they too werent of much help. The manual though mentions it accepts 1080p/24 input but actually the earlier models had real cinema mode which would do 5:5 or 2:2 pulldown giving smooth playback, and am not able to confirm whether this tv can do that..
The BR player would be a later addition so want to have a good tv now.

@boilerjim
Thanks that was really helpful. Actually the ex640 isnt available so i guess lg is my choice for now.
And by the way did you see any soap opera effect on the lg tv as this is a 120hz tv?
post #6 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindu View Post

Thanks for the replies..

@walford
The manuals are not so helpful. So i checked with the support chat but they too werent of much help. The manual though mentions it accepts 1080p/24 input but actually the earlier models had real cinema mode which would do 5:5 or 2:2 pulldown giving smooth playback, and am not able to confirm whether this tv can do that..
The BR player would be a later addition so want to have a good tv now.

@boilerjim
Thanks that was really helpful. Actually the ex640 isnt available so i guess lg is my choice for now.
And by the way did you see any soap opera effect on the lg tv as this is a 120hz tv?

Didn't see any soap opera effect on either TV in the store, but if you get one and either want the SOE or don't want the SOE, it can be adjusted or turned off completely. I really do think you'll be happy with the LG, so just get it and enjoy.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Didn't see any soap opera effect on either TV in the store, but if you get one and either want the SOE or don't want the SOE, it can be adjusted or turned off completely. I really do think you'll be happy with the LG, so just get it and enjoy.

I dont like the SOE but i want the picture to be smooth without SOE and without the judder..
post #8 of 21 Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM

I'm looking for more info on this model, anything else to report ? What about uniformity or ghosting ?
post #9 of 21 Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
Old thread but hey, I'll share my experience with LG 42" LS5700.

First off, I bought a Samsung 40" EH5300. At first I was happy with it until I noticed a lot of motion blur. I guess it was to be expected coming from a 60hz panel with a weak motion enhancer feature (CMR fail). So I returned my unit and decided to get this LG tv. I based my decision on the success of last year's LV5500 tvs and I surely am not disappointed!

The Trumotion is a great feature which brings out the crisp details and fluid motions of videos. It will give you the Soap Opera Effect. For me, I prefer that rather than the movie feel. smile.gif

But for those who don't like the SOE, there are 2 modes which turns this off. The Cinema mode and the Game mode. I haven't really tried the Cinema mode but the Game Mode works well when I play games on my PS3. It eliminates input lag because the video does not go through processing anymore.

I'm pretty sure the OPs problem is not really present in this tv. It can perfectly do 24p movies at 1080p and it can also produce pictures which pop out through the Trumotion feature. Overall, this TV is a perfect purchase for those who are on a budget. Worlds better than the Sammy Series 5
post #10 of 21 Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 AM

One week in and I'm still in love with this affordable tv set. Beats the Series 5 of sammy which I also used for 1 week.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 AM

Can anyone confirm that this is a 100hz tv set and not a 120hz tv?

i connected it to my laptop and i can adjust the refresh rate up to 100hz only. is this an accurate way to tell if it's a 100hz tv?
post #12 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir7 View Post

Can anyone confirm that this is a 100hz tv set and not a 120hz tv?
i connected it to my laptop and i can adjust the refresh rate up to 100hz only. is this an accurate way to tell if it's a 100hz tv?
Depends on where you live. In the USA and Canada it would be 120hz. In England, Australia, and many other countries it's probably 100hz.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM

thanks. mine is an asian unit.

so is this a native 100hz tv set or just a native 60hz tv set with trumotion boosting it to become the fake 120hz trumotion tv set that it is marketed. would anyone know?
post #14 of 21 Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 AM

I have the 47" version and am having a few problems and wondering if anyone else is experiencing them:

1. Sound. I get a crazy buzz. I don't know if it's the speakers or the enclosure of the TV rattling, but it makes watching certain things impossible. I have a lot of content downloaded that I watch. Some play back totally fine at an acceptable volume level, some buzz when the sound is cranked, which is somewhat expected, and others buzz even when the volume is so low I can barely hear it.

2. MediaLink/Smart Share seems to stream extremely jumpy and poorly. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my TV or with my network, but the TV is hardlined to the router via ethernet and streams Netflix and Youtube without any problems.

If anyone has any insight into either of these issues it would be much appreciated!
post #15 of 21 Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Sound on my 42" is fine. If anything, it's great for a tv with a slim profile. I have a small apartment and I have my audio set up to Auto Volume and Clear Voice 2 is usually on. I use Cinema mode for the bass it gives you. My volume is usually just around 10-15. That's it.

As for the medialink via plex, it slows down and even disconnects. but i guess that's due to Plex being a resource hog and my old 2008 laptop isn't really a great laptop for handling programs which eat tons of RAM
post #16 of 21 Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Does this LG LS5700 has VGA input? I am planning to buy it. I want to use this as laptop Monitor on occasions. My laptop does not have hdmi output. How will be the experience as laptop monitor?. Please reply soon.
post #17 of 21 Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan Shirore View Post

Does this LG LS5700 has VGA input? I am planning to buy it. I want to use this as laptop Monitor on occasions. My laptop does not have hdmi output. How will be the experience as laptop monitor?. Please reply soon.

yes it has VGA. it should work great as a laptop monitor. but it's really mainly a great tv. if you want a monitor, get the Samsung Eh5000. those are cheap and they function as good monitors (not as a good tv though.lol)
post #18 of 21 Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks for your reply. I purchased this tv. I have not yet tested this as laptop monitor. I will do it soon and post my reply.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir7 View Post

Old thread but hey, I'll share my experience with LG 42" LS5700.
First off, I bought a Samsung 40" EH5300. At first I was happy with it until I noticed a lot of motion blur. I guess it was to be expected coming from a 60hz panel with a weak motion enhancer feature (CMR fail). So I returned my unit and decided to get this LG tv. I based my decision on the success of last year's LV5500 tvs and I surely am not disappointed!
The Trumotion is a great feature which brings out the crisp details and fluid motions of videos. It will give you the Soap Opera Effect. For me, I prefer that rather than the movie feel. smile.gif
But for those who don't like the SOE, there are 2 modes which turns this off. The Cinema mode and the Game mode. I haven't really tried the Cinema mode but the Game Mode works well when I play games on my PS3. It eliminates input lag because the video does not go through processing anymore.
I'm pretty sure the OPs problem is not really present in this tv. It can perfectly do 24p movies at 1080p and it can also produce pictures which pop out through the Trumotion feature. Overall, this TV is a perfect purchase for those who are on a budget. Worlds better than the Sammy Series 5

I was reading on Television Info that the motion on the LS5700 was decent, but that motion blur was noticeable in dim scenes. Do you feel that the motion blur on this TV is more tolerable than on the E5300?
post #20 of 21 Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

I was reading on Television Info that the motion on the LS5700 was decent, but that motion blur was noticeable in dim scenes. Do you feel that the motion blur on this TV is more tolerable than on the E5300?

I have tru motion always on so I don't really notice the motion blur at all. Fast action scenes on blu ray look great. When I had the EH5300, I always had that feeling that there was something missing with my tv set. After switching to this, I've always felt like there's nothing more I could ask for. except maybe for 3D. biggrin.gif
post #21 of 21 Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM

Ive managed to make a lot of my friends choose this model over the samsung series 5s but somehow, it doesnt seem as popular as that model. All my friends were wowed by this model after comparing it side by side with the series 5 of sammy.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page