Best Buy charging $250.00 for calibration ( Samsung UN55ES6500 ) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 93 Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

As a Best Buy reward zone Premier Silver Member I can get a "free" Best Buy Calibration.
Honestly I like my current settings- based on CNET's and tweaked to my desire.
I know Warm2 is the standard, but prefer Warm1.
I also like my Contrast at 100 and Sharpness at 20.
I talked with Best Buy reps. and they stated they will not use the servicce menu on my Samsung ES7100 (Cool cool.gif).
Has anyone got the Best Buy calibration and liked it?

Some have liked the calibration from BB, most seem not to. Being as it is free, and they won't go into the SM (no real reason to anyway), then go for it. Just write down all of your settings beforehand so if you don't like what they did, you can always go back to the way it is now. Take note of the equipment used, how long it takes, what he does, and ask questions. If anything, you'll get an idea of what's involved in case you choose to DIY someday. However, if you like what you've got now, why change it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Some have liked the calibration from BB, most seem not to. Being as it is free, and they won't go into the SM (no real reason to anyway), then go for it. Just write down all of your settings beforehand so if you don't like what they did, you can always go back to the way it is now. Take note of the equipment used, how long it takes, what he does, and ask questions. If anything, you'll get an idea of what's involved in case you choose to DIY someday. However, if you like what you've got now, why change it?

Thanks for the advice....problem is I know I will re-tweak the calibrated settings.

I would get it just for the experience and the (slim) chance that I would like it better.

I'll wait for more feedback and research the forum...I have heard lots of cons against the Best Buy calibration.
post #93 of 93 Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Thanks for the advice....problem is I know I will re-tweak the calibrated settings.
I would get it just for the experience and the (slim) chance that I would like it better.
I'll wait for more feedback and research the forum...I have heard lots of cons against the Best Buy calibration.

That's really the only reason I said go for it because it was free. If they don't mess with the SM then there's no chance of them screwing up your tv. That being said, I don't want anyone messing with my tv who doesn't really understand the science of what they are doing and are just following a script. Why don't you just get a calibration disk like the free AVS HD709 disk or a commercial one like WoW, DVE, ect.? Getting it calibrated and then tweaking it defeats the purpose of a calibration. Once it's set to rec.709 standards, you shouldn't change it other than to check the calibration later on as the components age. Using a disk, you can at least set the brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect, and color to rec.709 standards and get a real good idea of how it all inter-relates. You won't be calibrating your set (you needs meters etc for that) but you can certainly improve the pq and keep it looking great down the road. FWIW, a lot of folks don't like the way their tv looks after a calibration because they're not used to how it's "supposed to look" based on the video rec.709 standards. Everyone perceives differently so that's one of the arguments against professional calibrations, and the fact that they don't last forever. Disclaimer: I'm not saying or implying that calibrations are not worth it. My set is calibrated. I'm just pointing out an oft used argument against calibrations. Personally, I think at the very least one should learn to use a calibration disk if they're not going to have their tv professionally calibrated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page