is the 3D on Samsung's 2012 7 series better than that of 2011's D8000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone been able to compare? I can get a great deal on a 2011 D8000 but will gladly pay a bit more for a 7100 if the 3D has been improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The d8000 was rated to have the best 3d of 2011. I don't know if they have improved on it, but I can't imagine it got worse. I would think at this point the 3d glasses make the difference. Comfort and design, I've notice the 2012 glasses have a open end design which can let light in and cause glare. I have the 2010 c8000 and 2011 d8000, the c8000 glasses have a more closed end design and block light better then the 2011 glasses. The d8000 glasses are lighter and more comfortable and better glasses then 2010 c8000.

I haven't tryed the new 2012 sets but I can say my d8000 has the best 3d I've seen with virtually no crosstalk or ghosting. The main thing I see with samsungs new 3d glasses is the open end design, I think a lot of background light would get in and distract you from the movie. If you can controll the light well in your house I say go for the newer tvs.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
K, thanks! I was specifically wondering if crosstalk had been even further minimized since last year. It sounds like the 2011 8000 is already pretty amazing in that dept, plus it's got the better version of micro-dimming. I think I'm going to go for it!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 10
I own the PN51E7000. For the 2D picture alone, I would give it 5 Stars. Bold colors, tight black levels, and excellent with movies. Truly spectacular. But...
The 3D picture is a mess. The glitches are most apparent when watching 3D animated titles (most noticeable on The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast). There will be moments where the color literally shifts. Orange will go green then pop up to a bright orange. Brightness fluctuation on live action 3D titles. It is distracting and annoying and makes it impossible to watch 3D programming.
I have been dealing with Samsung Customer Support on this issue for 3 months. They have been a nightmare. We have had a tech come out 3 times to address the issue. No fix has worked and the Samsung Tech has agreed their is an issue. But customer support keeps giving us the runaround and says that because the fixes haven't worked than it must be that the specifications are right and it's just an issue with the 3D that is what it is. I have had other 3D this and not had this problem. Samsung translation is either, "We don't care to deal with it" or "Our standard for quality on a top of the line plasma is lower than those of a cheaper 3D television." Because of the poor customer service and addressing of the 3D glitch, I would never recommend this or any other Samsung product. What could have been a five star review is much less. Disappointing.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 13
I have a 55D7000. The 3-D is excellent. Yes, the glasses may let in some light, etc., but they were inexpensive and do provide excellent 3-D. The web site www.digitalversus.com reviewed the 2012 models and found the 3-D to have more crosstalk than the 2011 models. The D8000 for 2011 was reported to be about the best LCD T.V. out there for most all categories.

The only downside with the model and others in 2011 were the inconsistencies on the panels. As I understand it, the last panels were H303 if you have a 55" or under. I have a H303 panel and have no real issues other than some light leaks at the top and bottom of the screen, but it is not overly distracting. I have 2 stuck pixels, but unless your face is literally on the screen, you can't see them. Samsung has a policy on the number depending upon screen size as to whether the panels can be replaced.

Make sure you check the panel model as the H301's and H302's were problematic. Also, check for clouding, banding, etc. so that if you do receive a bad unit, you can return it.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 13
I want to correct my positing. It was not digitalversus that commented on the D8000 being one of the best T.V.'s out there. I've read so many reviews, I can't keep them straight. You can always Google on the models to find reviews, and it seems there are difference of opinions galore. No 3-D will be perfect. Most all of the LCD's will have some. Fortunately, the 2011 models seem to have really handled the reduction well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page