post #271 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanT View Post

Would really love to see pictures of your set. That would be awesome if you can do that for me... Where did you purchase your 55 inch?
Ok perfect. Will try and purchase this ASAP. Really hoping there is no gaming lag. Thanks again for the help.

Ok this may be a dumb question how do I attach a pic?

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I'm not who you were posing the question to, but I got mine at Costco. Costco or Sam's Club will give you best price, better than Amazon. TBH, I really don't think a camera pic could ever do justice to the PQ on this set.

I seriously doubt there are very many more of these sets around these days, so good luck at finding one.

On the bright side, there some 240hz Samsung 55" TV's I saw at Costco last time I was there, that blew this Vizio set out of the water, PQ-wise. I don't know what the gaming lag was like on them, but they were about $100 more and looked really good to me.

EDIT: Never mind.
post #273 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Ok this may be a dumb question how do I attach a pic?

Not a dumb question at all cause I have no clue either... Maybe copy and paste?
post #274 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losamigos View Post

I know I'm not who you were posing the question to, but I got mine at Costco. Costco or Sam's Club will give you best price, better than Amazon. TBH, I really don't think a camera pic could ever do justice to the PQ on this set.
I seriously doubt there are very many more of these sets around these days, so good luck at finding one.
On the bright side, there some 240hz Samsung 55" TV's I saw at Costco last time I was there, that blew this Vizio set out of the water, PQ-wise. I don't know what the gaming lag was like on them, but they were about $100 more and looked really good to me.

Really hope I can find one then. They blew this tv out of the water picture wise? Do you happen to have the model numbers? That's pretty crazy because from what I've read based on reviews this tv is rated pretty highly. Cnet stated its there favorite LED of the year so far. How do you like your set? Any comments on it? Thanks
post #275 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Samsung's of this year use the lesser in my option 3D tech (Active) this set uses Passive. And the picture quality of the Samsung's pale vs this set the only LED that bests it this year would be the Sony KDL - HX850 series. And for the price premium I do not think its worth it. The Sony also is Active 3D but it lacks the newly set standards that many Active 3D glasses universal. So that's a minus too. I purchased the set at Costco as well. Hunt for this set find the remaining few and get it now!

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #276 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really hope I can find one then. They blew this tv out of the water picture wise? Do you happen to have the model numbers? That's pretty crazy because from what I've read based on reviews this tv is rated pretty highly. Cnet stated its there favorite LED of the year so far. How do you like your set? Any comments on it? Thanks

I think he was mistaken I have seen all the sets from Samsung this year, actually I have seen a the major sets Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Visio. The Pannys I saw were plasma tech so I'll exclude it from the comparison. Sony then Visio the then Samsung and last Sharp. That's the PQ order from best to worst.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #277 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:

The Samsung's of this year use the lesser in my option 3D tech (Active) this set uses Passive. And the picture quality of the Samsung's pale vs this set the only LED that bests it this year would be the Sony KDL - HX850 series. And for the price premium I do not think its worth it. The Sony also is Active 3D but it lacks the newly set standards that many Active 3D glasses universal. So that's a minus too. I purchased the set at Costco as well. Hunt for this set find the remaining few and get it now!

Yeah that statement about the samsungs didnt really correlate with the reviews i have been reading..I see you say that the Sony HX850 is the only tv to best the Vizio... Is it safe to say the HX820 from Sony would best this Vizio tv? I can get one locally for pretty cheap.. Let me know your opinion, thanks kindly
post #278 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah that statement about the samsungs didnt really correlate with the reviews i have been reading..I see you say that the Sony HX850 is the only tv to best the Vizio... Is it safe to say the HX820 from Sony would best this Vizio tv? I can get one locally for pretty cheap.. Let me know your opinion, thanks kindly
post #279 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes the Sony best the Vizio, however I went with the Vizio for the Passive 3D and its price. I will not buy an Active 3D set. Why no Active, I feel 3D is the future and Active is too much of a hassle to deal with. The glasses can run out of power mid viewing, they can lose sync, the are heavy and most of all they are expensive. Now Passive doesn't rely on the glasses to do anything but pass through the picture all the 3D work is done in the TV set. And I have 15 sets of glasses I purchased for less than $20 so that's a steal. I would say get the Vizio and get a new surround system with the money saved sound I fell is 65% of the experience if not more.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #280 of 687 Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Yes the Sony best the Vizio, however I went with the Vizio for the Passive 3D and its price. I will not buy an Active 3D set. Why no Active, I feel 3D is the future and Active is too much of a hassle to deal with. The glasses can run out of power mid viewing, they can lose sync, the are heavy and most of all they are expensive. Now Passive doesn't rely on the glasses to do anything but pass through the picture a the 3D work is done in the TV set. And I have 15 sets of glasses I purchased for less than $20 so that's a steal. I would say get the Vizio and get a new surround system with the money saved sound I fell is 65% of the experience if not more.

Really appreciate the help... If I cannot get a deal on the Sony HX820 I will definitely get the vizio... Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.. Also if you find a way to post the picture I still am very interested in seeing them.
post #281 of 687 Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes the Sony best the Vizio, however I went with the Vizio for the Passive 3D and its price. I will not buy an Active 3D set. Why no Active, I feel 3D is the future and Active is too much of a hassle to deal with. The glasses can run out of power mid viewing, they can lose sync, the are heavy and most of all they are expensive. Now Passive doesn't rely on the glasses to do anything but pass through the picture all the 3D work is done in the TV set. And I have 15 sets of glasses I purchased for less than $20 so that's a steal. I would say get the Vizio and get a new surround system with the money saved sound I fell is 65% of the experience if not more.

This.

Use the money saved, get a real surround setup at least 5.1 with a good sub. Sound is by far the more important component of the Home Theater. If your watching on a nice TV through the TV speakers... I'm sorry =(

VIZIO E601i-A3
AVR: Denon 3312CI
Front L/R: 2 Polk M60's
Center: Polk CS2
Surround L/R: Premier Acoustic PA-6s
Sub: PA-150 Subwoofer
post #282 of 687 Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

image.jpg 1807k .jpg file image.jpg 1535k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.76 MB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.50 MB, 44 views)

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #283 of 687 Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really appreciate the help... If I cannot get a deal on the Sony HX820 I will definitely get the vizio... Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.. Also if you find a way to post the picture I still am very interested in seeing them.

pics added

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #284 of 687 Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I wasn't referring to 3D performance, since I rarely use the feature. What I was referring to was how good regular 2D programming looks. On the 2 Samsungs I saw on display at Costco recently (wish I knew the model numbers) the picture just "popped" right out the screen, as though I were viewing it using 3D glasses. I suspect what I saw might be due to the higher refresh rate.

The picture on my Vizio M3D550KD "pops" to some extent, but I thought the Samsungs did a better job of it. In fact, they had a M3D550KD on display nearby, and I was able to compare the two displaying the same content, and to me at least, the Samsungs looked clearly superior.
post #285 of 687 Old 11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wasn't referring to 3D performance, since I rarely use the feature. What I was referring to was how good regular 2D programming looks. On the 2 Samsungs I saw on display at Costco recently (wish I knew the model numbers) the picture just "popped" right out the screen, as though I were viewing it using 3D glasses. I suspect what I saw might be due to the higher refresh rate.
The picture on my Vizio M3D550KD "pops" to some extent, but I thought the Samsungs did a better job of it. In fact, they had a M3D550KD on display nearby, and I was able to compare the two displaying the same content, and to me at least, the Samsungs looked clearly superior.

I was not just talking about the 3D picture quality I was talking about the quality as a whole I merely mentioned that Samsung uses Active 3D. the company I work for purchased all of these sets and we calibrated them all using sever different disk and hardware. and when it came down to it the fact was the Vizio was the third in the lineup falling close behind the Panny and Sony unit. we ran several test including having people look at the display in a dark room whereas the name brand of the TV could not be determined and the Samsung was not superior by any means.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #286 of 687 Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I was not just talking about the 3D picture quality I was talking about the quality as a whole I merely mentioned that Samsung uses Active 3D. the company I work for purchased all of these sets and we calibrated them all using sever different disk and hardware. and when it came down to it the fact was the Vizio was the third in the lineup falling close behind the Panny and Sony unit. we ran several test including having people look at the display in a dark room whereas the name brand of the TV could not be determined and the Samsung was not superior by any means.

I see you said it fell behind the Sony hx850 correct? Would last years hx820 also best the vizio in picture quality? What panasonic model was it? Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!
post #287 of 687 Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Liked: 12
I dont recall any Samsungs that were better than this one for less than 5-800$ more?? Also, I dont like some of the Samsung marketing practices NOTABLE in the way they market some of their "1080 plasma" sets, which are not truly 1080. And who needs active 3d? I have never tried the electronic shutter type, but I cant imagine how they could be any better than what this Vizio does the the 3d....
Quote:

post #288 of 687 Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Again, I don't have the model numbers, but the Samsungs I saw that looked better than the Vizio M3d55KD had been drastically marked down, somewhere around $700-800. And they were still priced around $1300, meaning these were $2000+ sets originally.
post #289 of 687 Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Again, I don't have the model numbers, but the Samsungs I saw that looked better than the Vizio M3d55KD had been drastically marked down, somewhere around $700-800. And they were still priced around $1300, meaning these were $2000+ sets originally.

Are you going by looked better while viewing at Costco? That is really a meaningless metric and shouldn't sway your opinion on what a set can do. Also a set which has more balanced accurate colors may not "look" as good in the harsh lights of warehouse retailer compared to a set which is set to a dynamic mode.

I don't know much about how the samsung lcds would perform at home but the Vizio has very accurate colors and the blacks look really good in normal lighting. With the lights out, the blacks still look very good and I don't have any complaints.
post #290 of 687 Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love mine. But I know that it's extremely unlikely that a $1099 set is going to be "the bestest TV in the whole wide world".

And the sets I looked at were all being fed the same feed, which was a high quality 1080p feed of some sort. Yes, I know comparing TV's in store isn't the best way to see what a set is capable of, but if it's a high quality video feed, and all the sets are getting the same feed, then you ought to be able to make some comparisons. Which I did, that concluded that the Samsungs that were on display looked not only better than anything I've ever seen my own M3D550KD produce at home, but better than the M3D550KD that was sitting right next to it that was getting the exact same high quality video feed.

Which is not surprising, since those sets originally sold for twice what I paid for my Vizio, before they were marked down.

And when I say "better" I only mean that the images had a much better "illusion of depth" than my Vizio. The images "popped" out of the screen as though you were watching them in 3D. I know nothing about whether the uniformity of backlighting was better, or the workmanship, or the sound, or the durability, or anything else.
post #291 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 AM

Hey everybody,

So, my wife and I have decided that, in lieu of giving each other Christmas presents this year, we will upgrade our television. We currently own a 52” SONY rear projection tv that I bought as an open box item about 7 or 8 years ago. It’s been an amazing tv and has treated me very well throughout the years. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, and we plan on keeping it until it finally craps out on us, but we thought it would be nice to finally get them most out of the blu-ray player and HD satellite channels we’ve been paying for.

That’s where you come in – I’ve pretty much narrowed my options down to the 55” SONY HX850 and the 55” VIZIO M3D550KD, but I’m having a difficult time making a decision between the two. I think they both have pros and cons, and I’ve read countless reviews, opinions, and threads about them, but I just can’t pull the trigger. Here’s my thought process.

For the SONY HX850, I’m comfortable with the SONY brand, as I’ve had nothing but good experiences with their products. As I mentioned, my current tv is a SONY that has been a dream, and my other components (blu-ray player, receiver, surround sound) are all SONY products. From what I’ve read, the HX850’s picture is amazing, and it’s a frontrunner for best LED of 2012. I went to see it at a local HH Gregg, and wasn’t that impressed with the picture, but I’m not going to let that really play into my decision. The $1998.99 price tag doesn’t necessarily scare me away, but if I can find a comparable tv at a cheaper price, I’m willing to consider it. The only thing that really draws me back from the HX850 is the active 3D. From what I’ve read, I feel like I would be the kind of person who would lean toward passive 3D. My wife doesn’t and won’t watch 3D at all, so it would be something that I would be getting for my own personal enjoyment. I wear prescription glasses, and from what I understand, SONY’s active 3D glasses don’t mesh well with them. Furthermore, shelling out an extra $50-$100 per pair of glasses that only I, myself, would be using doesn’t really appeal to me.

Which brings me to the VIZIO M3D550KD. I haven’t seen one in person, but I’ve read that it has a very good picture, although not as good as the HX850. The $1298.99 price tag is also nice, and it has passive 3D which appeals to me more than the active 3D that SONY has. And it comes with 4 pairs of the passive 3D glasses. The thing holding me back from buying the M3D550KD is what I’ve read about VIZIO’s customer service, faulty units, frequency of repair, and out-of-warranty breakdowns. As I said before, every piece of SONY equipment I’ve ever owned has been great and lasted a long, long time. If I were to buy the VIZIO, I’d definitely buy an extended warranty on it just in case, but is the potential headache worth the $700 price difference?

So, what do you all think I should do? Should I pay more money for the SONY which I know and love, regardless of the active 3D drawback, or should I roll the dice on the cheaper VIZIO and hope I don’t have any major issues with it?
post #292 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Buy the Vizio, and use some of the money you save toward an extended 5 year warranty. I bought my set at Cosco (had to buy a membership since I didn't have one) where they give you an extra year on the one year factory warranty for free, and they'll extend it out to 5 years for an extra $100 or so.

Where do you plan to buy the set? I see that Sam's Club has them in stock for $1098, but they want $179 for a 3 year warranty. Costco currently shows them out of stock.
post #293 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see you said it fell behind the Sony hx850 correct? Would last years hx820 also best the vizio in picture quality? What panasonic model was it? Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

I did not view last years models as for most of the time the year ahead is an improvement over the previous years.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #294 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHMYZOD View Post

Hey everybody,
So, my wife and I have decided that, in lieu of giving each other Christmas presents this year, we will upgrade our television. We currently own a 52” SONY rear projection tv that I bought as an open box item about 7 or 8 years ago. It’s been an amazing tv and has treated me very well throughout the years. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, and we plan on keeping it until it finally craps out on us, but we thought it would be nice to finally get them most out of the blu-ray player and HD satellite channels we’ve been paying for.

That’s where you come in – I’ve pretty much narrowed my options down to the 55” SONY HX850 and the 55” VIZIO M3D550KD, but I’m having a difficult time making a decision between the two. I think they both have pros and cons, and I’ve read countless reviews, opinions, and threads about them, but I just can’t pull the trigger. Here’s my thought process.

For the SONY HX850, I’m comfortable with the SONY brand, as I’ve had nothing but good experiences with their products. As I mentioned, my current tv is a SONY that has been a dream, and my other components (blu-ray player, receiver, surround sound) are all SONY products. From what I’ve read, the HX850’s picture is amazing, and it’s a frontrunner for best LED of 2012. I went to see it at a local HH Gregg, and wasn’t that impressed with the picture, but I’m not going to let that really play into my decision. The $1998.99 price tag doesn’t necessarily scare me away, but if I can find a comparable tv at a cheaper price, I’m willing to consider it. The only thing that really draws me back from the HX850 is the active 3D. From what I’ve read, I feel like I would be the kind of person who would lean toward passive 3D. My wife doesn’t and won’t watch 3D at all, so it would be something that I would be getting for my own personal enjoyment. I wear prescription glasses, and from what I understand, SONY’s active 3D glasses don’t mesh well with them. Furthermore, shelling out an extra $50-$100 per pair of glasses that only I, myself, would be using doesn’t really appeal to me.
Which brings me to the VIZIO M3D550KD. I haven’t seen one in person, but I’ve read that it has a very good picture, although not as good as the HX850. The $1298.99 price tag is also nice, and it has passive 3D which appeals to me more than the active 3D that SONY has. And it comes with 4 pairs of the passive 3D glasses. The thing holding me back from buying the M3D550KD is what I’ve read about VIZIO’s customer service, faulty units, frequency of repair, and out-of-warranty breakdowns. As I said before, every piece of SONY equipment I’ve ever owned has been great and lasted a long, long time. If I were to buy the VIZIO, I’d definitely buy an extended warranty on it just in case, but is the potential headache worth the $700 price difference?

So, what do you all think I should do? Should I pay more money for the SONY which I know and love, regardless of the active 3D drawback, or should I roll the dice on the cheaper VIZIO and hope I don’t have any major issues with it?

Go with the Vizio, and get an extended warranty through a third party so you bypass Vizio for customer service. They are both great TV sets but I always look at it this way, if you want to spend more money why not get the most of it. You can get the Vizio and a new 3D ready surround sound receiver for the same price of just getting the Sony.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #295 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love mine. But I know that it's extremely unlikely that a $1099 set is going to be "the bestest TV in the whole wide world".
And the sets I looked at were all being fed the same feed, which was a high quality 1080p feed of some sort. Yes, I know comparing TV's in store isn't the best way to see what a set is capable of, but if it's a high quality video feed, and all the sets are getting the same feed, then you ought to be able to make some comparisons. Which I did, that concluded that the Samsungs that were on display looked not only better than anything I've ever seen my own M3D550KD produce at home, but better than the M3D550KD that was sitting right next to it that was getting the exact same high quality video feed.
Which is not surprising, since those sets originally sold for twice what I paid for my Vizio, before they were marked down.
And when I say "better" I only mean that the images had a much better "illusion of depth" than my Vizio. The images "popped" out of the screen as though you were watching them in 3D. I know nothing about whether the uniformity of backlighting was better, or the workmanship, or the sound, or the durability, or anything else.

That illusion of depth is know as the Soap Opera effect and it can be turned on with your Vizio if you like it.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #296 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Buy the Vizio, and use some of the money you save toward an extended 5 year warranty. I bought my set at Cosco (had to buy a membership since I didn't have one) where they give you an extra year on the one year factory warranty for free, and they'll extend it out to 5 years for an extra $100 or so.
Where do you plan to buy the set? I see that Sam's Club has them in stock for $1098, but they want $179 for a 3 year warranty. Costco currently shows them out of stock.

You're right - I misquoted the price. I was looking at the $1098 one from Sam's Club. They also have some on amazon, but they're more expensive.
post #297 of 687 Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Go with the Vizio, and get an extended warranty through a third party so you bypass Vizio for customer service. They are both great TV sets but I always look at it this way, if you want to spend more money why not get the most of it. You can get the Vizio and a new 3D ready surround sound receiver for the same price of just getting the Sony.

Fair point. I know I have to upgrade to a 3D BDP, but is a new receiver necessary, as well,?

EDIT: I looked it up and I suppose I do.
post #298 of 687 Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 66
5 year warranty only cost me $60 through costco since i got the floor model @ $899.
post #299 of 687 Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 AM

I always thought that the "Soap Opera Effect" was the result of having "Film Mode" turned off. My experience was that I got my first BluRay player and hooked it up, and put in the movie "Dr. Zhivago". It looked awful, colors were stark and the lighting too bright, and every scene looked as though someone filmed it last week with a cheap video camera. Turning on "Film Mode" eliminated the problem.

On my set, I turned Smooth Motion back on recently, and I do notice that there is a much greater illusion of depth and realism. Can someone remind me of why people turn it off?
post #300 of 687 Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

I always thought that the "Soap Opera Effect" was the result of having "Film Mode" turned off. My experience was that I got my first BluRay player and hooked it up, and put in the movie "Dr. Zhivago". It looked awful, colors were stark and the lighting too bright, and every scene looked as though someone filmed it last week with a cheap video camera. Turning on "Film Mode" eliminated the problem.
On my set, I turned Smooth Motion back on recently, and I do notice that there is a much greater illusion of depth and realism. Can someone remind me of why people turn it off?

Smooth Motion, TruMotion, whatever the mfr wants to call it is nothing more than motion interpolation. That is, artificially inserting a frame to "smooth" the motion out which results in the Soap Opera Effect (SOE). Some like it, some hate it. I occasionally use it for television (sports) but never for a blu-ray/DVD movie. I prefer to watch a movie without any artificial enhancements but that's just me. It's purely a personal preference thing so there is no right or wrong.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio M3d550kd 55 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page