Vizio M3D550KD - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 687 Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah that's way worse than mine is with light settings 70 ........ damn ......yeah box it up! Return it asap. The lg are nice but I have a 4 series in my sunroom and it took a few sets this year. There hit or miss too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 687 Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Yeah that's way worse than mine is with light settings 70 ........ damn ......yeah box it up! Return it asap. The lg are nice but I have a 4 series in my sunroom and it took a few sets this year. There hit or miss too.
post #633 of 687 Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsrbadmmmk View Post

yeah, and that's AFTER it's calibrated with the backlight at 50 the flashlighting is really annoying but the smart dimming flickering really causes my OCD to kick in.

unfortunatley my M3D550KD was an open box model on costco and was the ONLY one in store. at least with the 55LM4600's they have 9 more
post #634 of 687 Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggers View Post

Let me add that the M3D550KD has several unlisted features. POP. PIP, and Zoom are available, though the Vizio website and printed specs say they are not. You just need a remote for a Vizio tv that has the buttons for those features, or use a programmable remote. For PIP/POP the second window will appear in the lower right of the screen. You can change the size (small, medium large), put the two windows side-by-side(same size), swap windows, choose the input to second window, etc. Another unlisted feature is a screen zoom function (1/2 size, normal, 2X). These functions are not listed in the tv's menu or available on the remote provided with the tv. Has anyone found any other unlisted features? So far it's been a pretty good set, and with the right picture tweaks really does a really good job.

After receiving the most recent firmware update, these undocumented features are no longer available. An attempt to use them yields an on-screen message of "No Function" when a remote button is pressed. As this specific message does not appear for other inactive buttons, it seems that Vizio deliberately made these features inactive. The only undocumented feature that still works is picture "freeze".
post #635 of 687 Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

yeah, and that's AFTER it's calibrated with the backlight at 50 the flashlighting is really annoying but the smart dimming flickering really causes my OCD to kick in.

unfortunatley my M3D550KD was an open box model on costco and was the ONLY one in store. at least with the 55LM4600's they have 9 more

I completely understand you! I have 0CD to the fullest extent. mine also was a display item and if it wasn't for SquareTrade I'd probably take it back do to all the issues with support from vizio.......so ill keep my fingers crossed for the next year and a half of vizio support. I have used square trade for many years and had several claims with 0 issues. My sons play ps3 and xbox a lot on this particular led. So its a keeper for 800 warranty included in that price. Definitely with a model Costco had many of will increase your chances of getting a non-defective lg. Thank god we shop at Costco and have many months to test the sets and exchange. Getting stuck with a p o s is not how I roll lol. I have a big house and many led televisions. So I have experience from plasma to lcd to led. Someone relying solely on a bonus or tax return should be careful. My personal is a sammy 8 series and well I love it but its not necessary to spend that much on every room in the house. Even though money is not a object.....for those who are on a tight budget buy from Costco if you can! Or bestbuy and buy the 300 dollar warranty because whether it a sony 950 or a Samsung 9 series. ........... its not perfection at the least.
post #636 of 687 Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsrbadmmmk View Post

I completely understand you! I have 0CD to the fullest extent. mine also was a display item and if it wasn't for SquareTrade I'd probably take it back do to all the issues with support from vizio.......so ill keep my fingers crossed for the next year and a half of vizio support. I have used square trade for many years and had several claims with 0 issues. My sons play ps3 and xbox a lot on this particular led. So its a keeper for 800 warranty included in that price. Definitely with a model Costco had many of will increase your chances of getting a non-defective lg. Thank god we shop at Costco and have many months to test the sets and exchange. Getting stuck with a p o s is not how I roll lol. I have a big house and many led televisions. So I have experience from plasma to lcd to led. Someone relying solely on a bonus or tax return should be careful. My personal is a sammy 8 series and well I love it but its not necessary to spend that much on every room in the house. Even though money is not a object.....for those who are on a tight budget buy from Costco if you can! Or bestbuy and buy the 300 dollar warranty because whether it a sony 950 or a Samsung 9 series. ........... its not perfection at the least.

I really wanted to love this VIzio. all the features were there in SPADES. the smart features (even though I'd never use them). the bluetooth remote with qwerty keyboard, 3D ... but no matter HOW hard I tried the blacks were always crushed and the flashlighting was CRAZY bad.

I just went down to costco and picked up an LG 55LM4600 for the same price as my open box M3D550KD.... FIFTY times better. blacks aren't crushed and the only time I can tell that there's a hint of edge bleeding is in a purely dark room in all 4 corners, but it's not NEARLY as bad as the vizio. I lucked out and got a solid display on the first try instead of having to return 4 or 5 of them to get a good set. calibrated it in and it looks a decent chunk better than the m3d550kd. I haven't checked the 3D yet, but the 2d is absolutely fantastic. not as good as my main rooms Panny 50u50 plasma (but then again that's kinda to be expected). but as a bedroom set it looks great so far.
post #637 of 687 Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^^^^ congratulations from the thread crapper. I have an LG and I think you'll be very happy with your set.
post #638 of 687 Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^ congratulations from the thread crapper. I have an LG and I think you'll be very happy with your set.

lol, sorry about that, I was actually sick that day and grumpy as all hell. I kinda started snapping at people that night

and thanks for the congrats. I'm really impressed with it so far.
post #639 of 687 Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

lol, sorry about that, I was actually sick that day and grumpy as all hell. I kinda started snapping at people that night

and thanks for the congrats. I'm really impressed with it so far.

No need to apologize. I do have an agenda of sorts with Vizios and admittedly, it's not always helpful.
post #640 of 687 Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM

I've had the KDE version of this set for about six weeks. I remember when I was first browsing through the Internet apps there was one of the movie services that had a $5.99 credit available to try the service. I believe it was right there on the front page of whichever app it was. Of course now that I actually wanted to try steaming a movie I don't can't remember which app/service it was. I did a quick scan through them again and I don't see it anywhere obvious now. Does anyone recall which app was offering the credit to try it?
Thank,
Chris
post #641 of 687 Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It's the Vudu app. You may need to download it from the Yahoo App Store on the TV if you cannot find the widget.
post #642 of 687 Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalano View Post

I've had the KDE version of this set for about six weeks. I remember when I was first browsing through the Internet apps there was one of the movie services that had a $5.99 credit available to try the service. I believe it was right there on the front page of whichever app it was. Of course now that I actually wanted to try steaming a movie I don't can't remember which app/service it was. I did a quick scan through them again and I don't see it anywhere obvious now. Does anyone recall which app was offering the credit to try it?
Thank,
Chris

It's vudu, and on this website you can see a good iTunes vs. vudu vs. BluRay article.check it out.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #643 of 687 Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM

Thanks. I just checked it out and it doesn't look like they're offering the credit anymore but instead are giving you 10 free movies (of their choice) if you sign up for vudu and Ulraviolet at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

It's the Vudu app. You may need to download it from the Yahoo App Store on the TV if you cannot find the widget.
post #644 of 687 Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM

"Of their choice"???

What a joke! Would it bankrupt them to let you pick your own movies?
post #645 of 687 Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losamigos View Post

"Of their choice"???

What a joke! Would it bankrupt them to let you pick your own movies?

Yeah I got lame ones that I will most likely never watch. And I wanted to test out the service guess I will have to do it some other time.

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #646 of 687 Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Hey guys,

I got the M3D470KD for Christmas, and till the other day love the TV. But, I got a notice a few days ago of a firmware upgrade, and not the TV looks like crap. It looks as if the smooth motion effect is on permanently and can't be removed. I've tried resetting the TV numerous times to no avail. Has anyone else had this same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
post #647 of 687 Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post

Hey guys,

I got the M3D470KD for Christmas, and till the other day love the TV. But, I got a notice a few days ago of a firmware upgrade, and not the TV looks like crap. It looks as if the smooth motion effect is on permanently and can't be removed. I've tried resetting the TV numerous times to no avail. Has anyone else had this same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Sometimes firmware updates on products reset (or change) user settings. This seems to be the case with you. Disable the Smooth Motion Effect in the Advanced Video Settings and you should be all set.

I recommend that you always after a firmware update reconfiguring your settings as if it was your first time tweaking said item.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #648 of 687 Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM

That was my first thought, but now the TV is always doing smooth motion no matter what I set it to. The motion sucks now, and I can't alter it, whether it's turned off, low, medium, or high. It's all the same...looks like junk now. I would have never kept the TV if it looked like this.

Chris
post #649 of 687 Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a Vizio. Either get them to replace/fix it or think about another tv.
post #650 of 687 Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 AM

Liked: 14
Ha- Vizio is still pulling this. Mine forced the smooth motion on PAL sources (try explaining THAT to their clueless 'service reps'!) and occasionally was jittery on others. Ended up kicking it to the curb.
post #651 of 687 Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 AM

So you're telling me this is normal for vizio to do? And they won't fix it?
post #652 of 687 Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't exactly call it normal but it is a problem for some. Vizio's seem to have more issues (at least reported here) with updates than other tv's.
post #653 of 687 Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM

My costco purcahsed m3d550kd appears to have gotten a software update even though the version is still 3.12

I noticed when i pull up the smart tv function bar at the bottom that instead of overlaying what i have on the tv it makes what im watching smaller so you still see everything.
post #654 of 687 Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilp1972 View Post

Configuring the XBOX:

Connecting the XBOX connected to any of the HDMI ports, I found the XBOX "takes over" the KD/KDE's Picture Settings, due to Discovery Mode being set to ON within the XBOX display settings, so that there most menu options were no longer available on the KDE, and there is no advanced control over color calibration, etc. Instead, only Backlight, Contrast, and Brightness are available. The results in a disturbing SOE with or without Game Mode enabled on the KDE. I resolved the issues primarily by disabling Discovery Mode through the following steps:

Settings --> Console Settings --> Display --> Display Discovery --> Disable

After doing so, the XBOX restarted in 480SD, and a whole host of new resolutions became available under HDTV Settings. I then I set the XBOX to 1080p:

Settings --> Console Settings --> Display --> HDTV Settings --> 1080p

I could see no difference between the three available Reference Levels, so I have left them set to Standard:

Settings --> Console Settings --> Display --> Reference Levels --> Standard

I tried the various settings for HDMI Color Space, and find that simply leaving it set to Auto works perfectly insofar as it appeared to adjust the color settings between Dark Knight Rises DVD and Red Dead Redemption situations, where as I felt that the DVD was somehow washed out when I forced HDMI Color Space to RGB. YMMV on this one.

XBOX Console Settings Display Menu
HDTV Settings: 1080p
Screen Format: (greyed)
Reference Levels: Standard
HDMI Color Space: Auto
Display Discovery: Disabled

M3D550KDE TV Settings for selected XBOX HDMI Input
Game Mode: On

---Picture Settings Menu---
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 43
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 48
Color: 55
Tint: 1
Sharpness: 7

---Size & Position Submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature Submenu---
Color temperature: Custom
Red Gain: 48
Green Gain: 49
Blue gain: 50
Red offset: 49
Green offset: 48
Blue offset: 50

--Advanced Picture Submenu---
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Extend
Film Mode: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

I used the above Calibration settings for the KDE, and set Game Mode to ON under TV Settings of the KDE, but could see no difference in lag, as there appears to be none whatsoever in either mode, which I attribute to the disabling of all the post-processing in the Advanced Picture Settings.

I know this post was buried several pages ago, but I'm looking at picking up the KDE strictly as a gaming tv and found this to be the most useful set of information from anywhere. Thanks for that ilp. Good to know that if I go with this set it will work for gaming.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #655 of 687 Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I know this post was buried several pages ago, but I'm looking at picking up the KDE strictly as a gaming tv and found this to be the most useful set of information from anywhere. Thanks for that ilp. Good to know that if I go with this set it will work for gaming.

I would turn "Game Mode" off as it is a feature that was once useful on older sets to help the image refresh faster and not struggle processing the data, however with new chips in the 3D sets they are plenty powerful to handle the demands of gaming. While "Game Mode" is on none of the image may suffer from lack of color accuracy, gain of noise and artifacts etc...

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #656 of 687 Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I would turn "Game Mode" off as it is a feature that was once useful on older sets to help the image refresh faster and not struggle processing the data, however with new chips in the 3D sets they are plenty powerful to handle the demands of gaming. While "Game Mode" is on none of the image may suffer from lack of color accuracy, gain of noise and artifacts etc...

I feel like the two major issues with gaming on an LED would be input lag and motion blur. Soap opera effect would be a concern as well, but I would think that shouldn't be a problem when gaming. If this set can be adjusted to get rid of those issues I think it may be the one I go with.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #657 of 687 Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I feel like the two major issues with gaming on an LED would be input lag and motion blur. Soap opera effect would be a concern as well, but I would think that shouldn't be a problem when gaming. If this set can be adjusted to get rid of those issues I think it may be the one I go with.

I game on this set and see no input lag and motion blur, that is an old time is sure should not have that on any of the newer sets.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #658 of 687 Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear. What kinds of games have you played on it?

post #659 of 687 Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good to hear. What kinds of games have you played on it?

We I am playing Tomb Raider right now but I have played God of War, Halo 4, Dishonored, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3 (in 3D), etc.... you get the idea. All with no issues.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #660 of 687 Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

We I am playing Tomb Raider right now but I have played God of War, Halo 4, Dishonored, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3 (in 3D), etc.... you get the idea. All with no issues.

Not to totally sidetrack the thread, but how was Dishonored?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio M3d550kd 55 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page