Vizio M3D550KD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 687 Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have not tried yet. I went and bought another one today cause I'm hell bent on getting my 100 bucks for the price reduction. I dont care what anyone says. hundred bucks is a hundred bucks and thats groceries. They can smite me for being a cheap cheezer or whatever, but thats grocery money.

On the TV, I am wondering if you have tried 3d content that is designed to come out of the screen? Cause I would think you would say more than decent on that one. The 3d is so awsome its like you can reach up and put your hand on the images... I give them that for sure..

But I will let you know when I apply them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 687 Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking about buying this set. A couple questions for those who own one:

1. What are the dimensions of the stand?
  2. Will I be able to use my Harmony Remote with it?

Thanks!
post #183 of 687 Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked: 10
24 1/2" by 11 1/2 for the bottom of the base, and it attaches about to the TV two inches above the bottom of the base.

The remote is excellent (it has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard) but I believe it uses bluetooth rather than IR, so I don't think the Harmony would work.
post #184 of 687 Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by losamigos View Post

24 1/2" by 11 1/2 for the bottom of the base, and it attaches about to the TV two inches above the bottom of the base.
The remote is excellent (it has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard) but I believe it uses bluetooth rather than IR, so I don't think the Harmony would work.

Good luck with using another remote. I have a learning remote that would not work with Vizio Qwerty Remote but works with everything else.
post #185 of 687 Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Good luck with using another remote. I have a learning remote that would not work with Vizio Qwerty Remote but works with everything else.

Thank you. The stand will fit on the riser which houses my center channel speaker. And while it would be nice if the Harmony could control it, that won't be a deal-breaker for me since the Harmony only turns the TV on and off in my setup since I control inputs and volume via my A/V receiver. If I do buy it, I will do so at Costco and buy the 3 year extended warranty which extends the warranty out to 5 years.
post #186 of 687 Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Thank you. The stand will fit on the riser which houses my center channel speaker. And while it would be nice if the Harmony could control it, that won't be a deal-breaker for me since the Harmony only turns the TV on and off in my setup since I control inputs and volume via my A/V receiver. If I do buy it, I will do so at Costco and buy the 3 year extended warranty which extends the warranty out to 5 years.

Wise choice getting the warranty for this set.
post #187 of 687 Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

This is where I bought my set, and I got the 5 year warranty too. So if the set quits working a few years down the road, I won't stress out about it one bit.
post #188 of 687 Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:

This is where I bought my set, and I got the 5 year warranty too. So if the set quits working a few years down the road, I won't stress out about it one bit.

Yea, for $100, it's well worth it.
post #189 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM

One more question...does anyone still have the box it came in and if so, what are it's dimensions? I am trying to determine if it will fit in the back of my SUV or not. Thanks.
post #190 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One more question...does anyone still have the box it came in and if so, what are it's dimensions? I am trying to determine if it will fit in the back of my SUV or not. Thanks.

I'm assuming you want the 55"?
54.1”W x 35.3"H x 7.8"D
post #191 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming you want the 55"?
54.1”W x 35.3"H x 7.8"D

Yes, thanks Justin!
post #192 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

I was on Vizio's Website last night and the M3Dxx0KD is out of stock. I'm not sure when this set was officially released. They have a new one M3Dxx0KDE. Not sure if it's better or worse than M3Dxx0KD.
post #193 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I was on Vizio's Website last night and the M3Dxx0KD is out of stock. I'm not sure when this set was officially released. They have a new one M3Dxx0KDE. Not sure if it's better or worse than M3Dxx0KD.

M3Dxx0KD Smart Dimming: Yes

M3Dxx0KDE Smart Dimming: No

From VIZIO web site

EDIT: I see you knew this already smile.gif

You would think the smart dimming would account for better blacks. Therefore I would assume M3Dxx0KD would be the better set, but I've been wrong before.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #194 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 14
it's really strange how fast they have "updated" this set. the newer model costs more, but seems to be a lesser product. did vizio put too much into the original, making it too expensive to produce and leaving too little "meat on the bone?"
post #195 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

M3Dxx0KD Smart Dimming: Yes
M3Dxx0KDE Smart Dimming: No
From VIZIO web site
EDIT: I see you knew this already smile.gif
You would think the smart dimming would account for better blacks. Therefore I would assume M3Dxx0KD would be the better set, but I've been wrong before.

I've read and seen some video demonstrations that indicate there are issues with Smart Dimming where the LEDs go black even though the source is not black, but they all were from Vizio models a couple years back. Are there any similar issues with Smart Dimming on this model?
post #196 of 687 Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrich2000 View Post

it's really strange how fast they have "updated" this set. the newer model costs more, but seems to be a lesser product. did vizio put too much into the original, making it too expensive to produce and leaving too little "meat on the bone?"

It's very odd to say the least. The new one looks the same with the exception of the remote. Maybe it doesn't have the smart dimming because the M3Dxx0KD had so many anomalies with the screen when it was activated. The black levels did not appear to be that great to begin with so maybe the lack of smart dimming helps the black levels. The new one doesn't have 240Hz SPS but I never noticed any difference on the 0KD compared to an older 120 Hz set I have. It's not really a true 240Hz set as it is simulated 240Hz. I'll be waitng for a pro review to see which one is better before I consider buying it.
post #197 of 687 Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Picked this set up yesterday from Costco and got the 5 year extended warranty as well. Did some minor tweaks to the picture settings and so far it looks really nice. Watched a couple football games and some TV via DISH...the intro to Dexter looked more creepy than normal! I do want to check out the calibration settings mentioned earlier in this thread and see how it looks then, but overall I am pleased so far. I did see some bleeding along the right edge last night, but I can live with that. I did not notice any "soap opera" affect to the picture...what setting defeats that?
post #198 of 687 Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I've read and seen some video demonstrations that indicate there are issues with Smart Dimming where the LEDs go black even though the source is not black, but they all were from Vizio models a couple years back. Are there any similar issues with Smart Dimming on this model?

i don't own the set so I can't comment...

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #199 of 687 Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

i don't own the set so I can't comment...

You mean where the backlight goes dim to increase the black level?
The effect the smart dimming has on this set is Artifacting. I believe that's the term. Nonetheless with smart dimming activated there are waves of light (not backlight bleed) that apear all over the picture that's somewhat distracting. Only noticable when watching in a dark room or at night with lights off.
post #200 of 687 Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Hey, has anyone been able to get 3-D to work on this set? I have a Sony BX 59 3-D compatible Blu Ray player hooked up to the set, a 3-D movie, and a 3-D compatible HDMI cable, but no luck.

Do you need to turn on 3-D on both the TV and the Blu Ray player or just one or the other? What format are most 3-D movies in, side by side, top and bottom or sensio? I have tried every possible option on the both the TV and the Blu Ray player and cannot get 3-D to work.

Also, the 3-D menu on the Blu Ray player remains greyed out, for whatever that's worth.

HELP!
post #201 of 687 Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, has anyone been able to get 3-D to work on this set? I have a Sony BX 59 3-D compatible Blu Ray player hooked up to the set, a 3-D movie, and a 3-D compatible HDMI cable, but no luck.
Do you need to turn on 3-D on both the TV and the Blu Ray player or just one or the other? What format are most 3-D movies in, side by side, top and bottom or sensio? I have tried every possible option on the both the TV and the Blu Ray player and cannot get 3-D to work.
Also, the 3-D menu on the Blu Ray player remains greyed out, for whatever that's worth.
HELP!

Well, concerning the TV all you have to do is figure out which format is being displayed (top/bottom or side by side) and press the button on the Vizio remote accordingly. I had to change my PS3 to output 3-D even though it had already been updated to 3-D. You might have to change something on your blu-ray player because the TV is ready to go. Have you ever watched 3-D from your blu-ray player before? If the 3-D menu is greyed out that would suggest that you don't have a High-Speed HDMI Cable (3-D/1.4) connected to it.
post #202 of 687 Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 PM

I have one of the special high speed cables with ethernet. Two, actually, I had to buy a 2 pack at Costco. They're made by Wire Logic.

Cable says it's 3-D compatible, and even has arrows that point the correct orientation from source to display. I noticed I had the arrows oriented wrong just now, and thought that would solve my problem, but still no go. 3-D depth adjustment on the Blu Ray player is still greyed out. frown.gif

It's gotta be the player. I updated the firmware to the latest version, don't know what else to try at this point.
post #203 of 687 Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Tried the other HDMI cable in the pack. Still no luck.

I have never watched 3-D from any Blu Ray player before, so I have no idea how it's supposed to look, or how you're supposed to set it up. But this is mega-frustrating. mad.gif
post #204 of 687 Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tried the other HDMI cable in the pack. Still no luck.
I have never watched 3-D from any Blu Ray player before, so I have no idea how it's supposed to look, or how you're supposed to set it up. But this is mega-frustrating. mad.gif

Well, sounds like you've tried everything. I didn't know they still made one-way HDMI Cables? I've had HDMI Cables with Ehternet that go either way. Don't know if that's the issue but on my Vizio the tv has msg that pops up that says 3-D Content detected and it has the three different 3-d choices. Maybe try a different brand 3-D HDMI. Belkin makes really good 3-D cables, $15 for 16' cable.
post #205 of 687 Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM

I get that same message when I turn on "Simulated 3-D" on the Blu Ray player. And the simulated 3-D works on the Blu Ray player works fine, it's just that I can't get real 3-D discs to play correctly. It's definitely gotta be the Blu Ray player.
post #206 of 687 Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 14
this may seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you are seletcing the "3d" version when you play the disc? if you are, do you also have the player hooked up thru another output source like component cables? might it be going thru that instead of the hdmi?
post #207 of 687 Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrich2000 View Post

this may seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you are seletcing the "3d" version when you play the disc? if you are, do you also have the player hooked up thru another output source like component cables? might it be going thru that instead of the hdmi?

I didn't even think of that. Also, are you using a receiver for all of this? If the receiver is not 3-D compatable it won't work. I think the simulated 3-D is a bit different than regular 3-D so it probably works without proper 3-D cables/source material. It's a stumper though without actually seeing the issue first-hand. You could be right about it just being the Blu-Ray player.
post #208 of 687 Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Using the 3-D version of the movie (I can see how the colors are slightly out of alignment on the 3-D version) and no, I'm not using a receiver or component cables. I don't even care about 3-D that much, it's just that after buying a 3-D player, two different 3-D movies, and two 3-D HDMI cables, I feel like I threw my money away. frown.gif
post #209 of 687 Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Just to rule out the HDMI cable completely you may want to try another cable. There really isn't anything such as a "3D HDMI" cable. Any, Certified High Speed HDMI cable will work. The directional arrows are odd. Shouldn't make a difference which end you plug in. I use MediaBridge cables but Monoprice, BlueJeans, etc are just as good. Just stay away from the overpriced ones wink.gif Is the hardware spec on your Blu-ray player 1.4? Cables don't have version numbers, only the hardware. Also, ethernet in an HDMI cable is meaningless at this point in time because there aren't any commercial devices that take advantage of it. It's sort of a future spec.
post #210 of 687 Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM

This is my Blu Ray player:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-BX59-Blu-ray-Player-Included/dp/B008BA2UTU

And I have about 5 different HDMI cables and have tried them all. I bought the ones labelled "3-D compatible" out of desperation, and Costco only had 2-packs of them, so I had to buy two. I'm depressed to learn that there is no such thing as a 3-D compatible HDMI cable, and so I wasted my money on those.

As I said earlier, the Blu Ray player has "simulated 3-D" that you can use on any disc, and that works fine. I get a pretty decent 3-D effect just using that and the Vizio glasses, but figured that "real 3-D" would look even better.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio M3d550kd 55 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page