Vizio M3D550KD - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio M3D550KD
esj's Avatar esj 07:08 PM 05-28-2012
anyone have this model or not reccomend getting this unit,ratings seem great and at 1299.00 a nice price,anything else in this price range to consider

jimj55's Avatar jimj55 08:13 PM 05-30-2012
Here is a review of the
Vizio M3D550KD. I saw this today at Sam's for $1249. This seems to be a viable alternative to the 6700.
Comments?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404054,00.asp
applewine's Avatar applewine 03:32 PM 06-01-2012
I'm trying to decide between the Vizio 55 inch and LG 55 inch models too. I don't know how much better than lowest LG would be than the Vizio, or how much better the 7000 series is than the 6000 series. I'm not willing to go to the 8000 or 9000 series LG.

Compare LG 6000 and 7000 series to the Vizio 55 inch.

Vizio's aren't on display anywhere. The screens should be pretty good now in general so screen size is the most important, unless you want to spend for really better image. Also, the quality of the recording is often a much bigger impact than the television, same goes for audio with the recording vs. the speakers.
jimj55's Avatar jimj55 03:51 PM 06-01-2012
I saw the Vizio M3D550KD today at Costco @ $1249. The non 3D Vizio M550SL @ $1099 looked super good. I do not really need 3D but was looking for best 2D picture. The M550SL may be best for me. We should start getting some comments here soon since Costco sells a ton of HDTV's.
Ikari Warrior's Avatar Ikari Warrior 10:28 PM 06-01-2012
Besides contrast ratio I'm wondering what the difference is between this unit and the M3D550SR is...I had the SR for a while but it suffered from noticeable blooming in dark areas of the screen during credits or while brought objects would move through a dark background. It was very distracting...the PCMag review mentions it briefly, it's caused by the edge lit local dimming. Otherwise it was a decent set...didnt suffer from the motion blur or smearing the 65" exhibits. Hopefully they tweaked some things and the KD is a great set.
SuperAmmo's Avatar SuperAmmo 07:03 AM 06-02-2012
I'm kind of interested in the 47" version of this TV. Anyone know if it's available at Costco? I swear I saw a 47" LED 3D TV there for $899 from Vizio.
Ikari Warrior's Avatar Ikari Warrior 08:19 AM 06-02-2012
There is a 47" version of the SR that has been out since last fall, not sure if there is one for the KD line yet.
jaethos's Avatar jaethos 08:07 PM 06-06-2012
I just returned an LG 6700 and saw this at Costco. I too was wondering if it would be a good alternative. I loved the LG, but the one I had suffered from a reboot issue and the Bestbuy I got it from didn't have any replacements at the time. I figured I'd try to see how this compares as I really like passive 3D over active shutter.
GregN's Avatar GregN 02:45 PM 07-02-2012
Can any one comment on what type of screen this model has (gloss or matt)?
bsweetness's Avatar bsweetness 04:25 PM 07-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post

Can any one comment on what type of screen this model has (gloss or matt)?

It's more matte than glossy, but it's not completely matte. I haven't found glare to be a problem on mine.
dbruce1112's Avatar dbruce1112 11:52 AM 07-03-2012
I wanted to give a comment on this. I'm new to this avsforum, but I came here also looking for advice on the M3D550KD. I got it last week from costco.com. The picture is quite amazing. I was a bit unsure of Vizio for a 55" tv at $1199 price. I have a panasonic plasma 60" ST30 in my basement which is great. (This Vizio was for family room). But honestly, the picture on this might be better. At times, I can see less contrast or real deep darks than the panny...but I'm being REAL picky.. It so close. If I did not have the panasonic, there is no way I would notice. The screen is not pure matte (i thought it was). Its a semi gloss. But I have two windows facing the TV directly and my family has no issue with it. Sometimes I see the reflection when the TV is on, but only when I'm really trying to find it. NO comment on 3D yet as I have not used. Apps are good, but a bit laggy to bring up. Watched African Cats on Amazon Video stream...AWESOME! Since there are no calibration settings online, it took me some time to mess with them. Picture is real crisp and color is real sharp. I'm not sure about all the talk with blurring and motion.. Have not seen that...and the motion smoother is set to Low right now. Baseball and Basketball have shown nothing. Watched some re-runs of football and did not notice anything. Maybe I can't see it or don't know what to look for. Hope this helps some of you. Thrilled that I pulled the trigger on this. (P.S...Slide out keyboard remote is a real bonus...so easy to type in passwords for apps, or search for stuff...real cool).
LordAlfred's Avatar LordAlfred 07:39 AM 07-06-2012
I think this is an interesting set, but there are a lot of unknowns.There's not a lot of reviews out there, other than the glowing PCMAG one, and one review does not really help.

First, I'd like to see it set up in the showroom so I could play with the settings, but my Sam's Club has it connected to a DVD player using composite cables. Yes, that's right, they want you to evaluate the 55" 1080p set using a 480i feed. So I can't really get a feel for it. Second, I'd really like to know the input lag situation for this set, as some Vizio's can have poor input lag and that's a deal-killer.
gikim1118's Avatar gikim1118 11:42 AM 07-09-2012
Just got this over the weekend. I have to say I'm impressed. My former TV was a Vizio and had good luck with that set so I wasn't afraid to buy another Vizio. I'm glad that I did. They had this TV set up in Sam's Club next to similar sized Samsung LED. TV's were hooked to Blu-ray player via HDMI. Vizio looked brighter and sharper than the Samsung. Picture is great at home. Watched a few movies (blu-ray and download) in HD and looked great. Can't comment on the speaker since I have it hooked up to my surround receiver. Also, can't comment on 3D since I don't own one.

I really didn't buy it for the 3D but it's nice to know I have that option.
mmarton's Avatar mmarton 10:02 AM 07-17-2012
I just found Tweaktv.com and it has some basic settings.

Picture Modes
Picture Mode : Movie
Color Temperature : Normal
Aspect Ratio : Wide

Picture Settings
Backlight : 55
Contrast : 50
Brightness : 42
Color : 55
Tint : -1
Sharpness : 6

Advanced Video
Smooth Effect : Off
Real Cinema Mode : Smooth
Noise Reduction : Off
Color Enhancement : Off
Adaptive Luma : Off
Film Mode : Auto
Smart Dimming : Off
Ambient Sensor : Off
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 12:12 AM 07-19-2012
I just bought this TV from Sams Club a couple of days ago. I have been trying my damndest to blow holes in it so I can just go ahead and return it. I made my first move from CRT back in 2007-08 and went with baseline Panasonic 50" plasmas to which I will say was a seamless transition from CRT. So My only experience other than computer monitors, which I have always treated as **** regardless. Ive seen LCDs in peoples homes. A buddy of mine even went with a 55" Samsung LCD back in 2008 when I got the plasmas. I never really saw anything wrong with his LCD and I dont think he paid too much more for it 1600 and mine were like 1300 I recall. But then again this was when LCDs were starting to get pushed and they started trying to kill the plasma. Further, I just visited a family member on vacation who had a 43" or so Vizio LCD (nothing fancy), and i did not really have any problems with it. The only thing I have noted is the seemingly 3d effect of characters on the screen in certain instances. I will in fact say that his smaller LCD had a much more pronounced unintentional 3D effect going on. I noticed it slightly on the model we are discussing here - and pretty much on the first day, but I have either totally tolerated the effect in my head, or I have adjusted it out some way. And I dont even know really what I have done at this time, as I have just been random goofing and tweaking so far ranging from messing with the bright and color, to turning the game mode off/on. Really last Saturday night I was watching SNL for the first time in a long time. The room was dark and it was at that moment that I realized I may not have so much of a problem with LCD that I forcested.'

Truthfully, I think my beef with this set is the price. 1200 plus tax doesnt sit good for a display that has dim borders, and general engine problems. LOL. But seriously this set does not, NOW, and this is my HISTORICAL perspective of LCDs in laptop and computer application. I was also shocked to find out that the term LED only refers to the light drive system as I thought the industry meant these tvs were actually powered by micro LEDs or something. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER. I do note there are sets that "block" the LED drive lights in quadrants and present this as more accurate. But really, what difference is this going to make if you are never going to control the variance down to a pixel!?!?!? I will say that incredible the light is nice and evenly distributed for an LCD.

The passive 3d works very well but there is not readily available media and disks are 30bucks for crappy conversions (apparently) that only add depth, and not much out in your face. Really though, shouldnt this be the fourth dimension when ya think about it... But the content designed to showcase 3D is UNBELIEVABLE and things are sitting on your chest like you could touch them if produced correctly. There is just not enough of it out there. I could give a crap to put on glasses, but now I feel bad about taking the TV back and the young daughters really get a kick out of the 3D aspect. And I dont think there is any real savings to kick down to a model without 3D?? $200 bucks perhaps? Or am I missing something? I just hate to get gouged on a TV that I fear will be 800 bucks in a year. But at the same time I really wonder because there is no way I see active 3D winning the war after seeing this. Why would I buy 80$ glasses for the kids to trash every week?!? Why would I want the heavy things on my face? With that said you never know and these Vizios may turn out to hold value... Time will tell. Perhaps we are getting some serious technology at a cheap entry level price as a gimmick to get the market hooked - I suspect....

The long and short is that the TV is just not disappointing me enough to return it yet. And make no mistake, if I do it will be to get either the ST50 panasonic, of the similar model without 3D which I think is less than this Vizio!?!?!? Or perhaps I am dreaming and the only way to get ST technology (12000 shades, etc) is to get the 1,550.00$ panasonic model. Still thats only like 250 more than this one for a TV I know is sound. On the flipside, I am so traumatized by the panasonics I had cooking your face with heat if you got too close, I CANT TELL YOU HOW COMFORTING IT IS TO KNOW IM NOT BURNING 700 watts anymore. The new panasonics I think are rated down $ 3-400 watts which is lower. but the 55" is more like 400 watts which would put the 60" at 450-470 watts I speculate. I REFUSE to DOG MY A/C bill OUT LIKE THAT AGAIN...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking now i see that the ViZIO 55" without 3D is 900 bucks so thats 300 less. maybe I will swap down to the non 3D tube to feel better about it all... But whats with the 240hz on this model. what is this for. I have actually seem posts advising disabling this. The tv without 3D is only 120hz. is the 240 just gimmic? Thoughts?
JohnC777's Avatar JohnC777 08:26 PM 07-20-2012
Have read all of info that I can find about the Vizzio M3D550KD (relatively limited) and am seriously thinking about purchasing it to hang over the fireplace in the den. Our present TV is a Samsung Led DLP that has an outstanding picture with none of the problems associated with various plasma and edge-lit led sets. However, it is not flat panel (depth is about 24") and it is not 3D. The M3D550KD appears to be an excellent choice with a relatively low price and 3D glasses that are $5 each. Will post impressions if I do purchase it.
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 06:40 AM 07-21-2012
I will add this. I was back in Sams looking for my second set, and wound up in the LCD section to just buy a small LCD to get me by. The choice came down to a 40 or so inch Sanyo or Magnovox (price based) which were straight up LCD. I did meander down the isle and started looking at the 40-42" range LED and LCD Vizios as an option (more like 5-600$). I noticed one thing that sent me running. there was pixilation ( I think its called) in the white screens where I could see random blotching of 1 cm squares of white screen. It was in similar areas of all sets I could see it on, but the point is that the others did not have it. It was on both VIZIOs one was LCD and one was LED LCD, but neither had 3D. I am really scared to check and see if the 55" 3D Vizio I bought the other day has it... I will post once I muster. Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of "test media" there is out there to quickly run on it?
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 10:27 AM 07-22-2012
Based on the overall performance of the Vizio 55" 3D. I really cant seem to bring myself to return it. The picture really does not have the rediculous unintentional 3d effect that many LCDs give and looks somewhat decent. Icant believe I am saying this....!?!? LOL.. Keep in mind I just could not even think of justifying ANOTHER CENT for an LCD and I have no idea what would make one so special as to get the 2500$ price some are getting. The only thing I would note is that viewing distance I think is somewhat more critical in 3d, ESPECIALLY when it comes to programming that adds the JUMP OUT aspect, as well as the DEPTH. If you are putting over a fireplace you will have to angle down correctly to viewing angle to couch for sure. The big deal is that in the 3D programming that jumps out, it just kinda hurts you head at the TV perimeter areas where 3D again meets the REALITY of the living room wall, bookcase, or whatever. ITs a visual transition I find hard on the brain and eyes. So if you get too far away, you can imagine. It almost looks like a sawed off hologram. THERE IS NO DOUBT. The vizio 3D technology in this set is phenomenal. Just viewing some of the comcast programming on the 3D channel that is designed to showcase it, its like you can reach out and actually touch the content of the screen. It literally looks that close!! The issue, is that there simply is not that much programming or even DVD/BLUE RAY based media yet. Even the Blue rays that are called "3D" are really only designed from the Depth aspect of 3D, and not the JUMP OUT aspect. Not for all, but half I would guess. There are a few I understand, and speculate less then 20 flicks to date produced (without counting what I have seen on limited research). Thats a total guess, but go to walmart in the movie section and they just arent there. Plus the ones that are cost $30.00..!!!!! But its so awsome for whats there - I cant take it from the kids.

ALSO, I just dont think we are going to see this passive type technology trumped for some time, and I suspect Vizio is right there - perhaps even leading the way. Keep in mind I have seen no others. Also I speculate the only way active 3D is going to survive is if the glasses get dirt cheap and light as hell. Cause Im not buying a 3D TV for my kids to trash 50$ + glasses every other week. The passive with the LG puts that to rest, and I just cant imagine active 3D working much better in practice. I mean the images are in TOUCH RANGE.!!!. I have never seen them that close in any theater....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC777 View Post

Have read all of info that I can find about the Vizzio M3D550KD (relatively limited) and am seriously thinking about purchasing it to hang over the fireplace in the den. Our present TV is a Samsung Led DLP that has an outstanding picture with none of the problems associated with various plasma and edge-lit led sets. However, it is not flat panel (depth is about 24") and it is not 3D. The M3D550KD appears to be an excellent choice with a relatively low price and 3D glasses that are $5 each. Will post impressions if I do purchase it.

baggers's Avatar baggers 05:41 AM 07-23-2012
Let me add that the M3D550KD has several unlisted features. POP. PIP, and Zoom are available, though the Vizio website and printed specs say they are not. You just need a remote for a Vizio tv that has the buttons for those features, or use a programmable remote. For PIP/POP the second window will appear in the lower right of the screen. You can change the size (small, medium large), put the two windows side-by-side(same size), swap windows, choose the input to second window, etc. Another unlisted feature is a screen zoom function (1/2 size, normal, 2X). These functions are not listed in the tv's menu or available on the remote provided with the tv. Has anyone found any other unlisted features? So far it's been a pretty good set, and with the right picture tweaks really does a really good job.
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 09:24 AM 07-23-2012
WOW. Thats pretty funky. There is no doubt the set is crammed with features. See my post on needin to konw which one to get. I almost got a second one. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggers View Post

Let me add that the M3D550KD has several unlisted features. POP. PIP, and Zoom are available, though the Vizio website and printed specs say they are not. You just need a remote for a Vizio tv that has the buttons for those features, or use a programmable remote. For PIP/POP the second window will appear in the lower right of the screen. You can change the size (small, medium large), put the two windows side-by-side(same size), swap windows, choose the input to second window, etc. Another unlisted feature is a screen zoom function (1/2 size, normal, 2X). These functions are not listed in the tv's menu or available on the remote provided with the tv. Has anyone found any other unlisted features? So far it's been a pretty good set, and with the right picture tweaks really does a really good job.

mmarton's Avatar mmarton 09:45 AM 07-23-2012
I've had the set for a couple of weeks and I can't complain, other than the user interfaces for online aps such as Netflix and Amazon aren't as slick as Roku. No bother, really. Very good price for all the features and a picture that looks good to me. We've only had hi-def since we went to Uverse several years ago so I don't have any comparisons.

I hooked this unit up above the fire place and have it connected to a new Uverse wireless receiver via HDMI. I decided that I wasn't going to pay a lot for a TV now as OLED will be the standard in a few years.
baggers's Avatar baggers 06:48 PM 07-23-2012
Found another unlisted feature: Picture Freeze. You can freeze the screen at any time, and easily restart. Again need to use a programmable or learning remote, or an older Vizio remote with the feature.

Feature that does not work well: Found a single button setting to cycle through the different picture settings (e.g. standard, basketball, baseball, vivid. etc) without having to go through multiple menu settings to access them. When I tried cycling through them using the single button, eventually the tv would shut itself off. Haven't figured out a fix yet.
purell's Avatar purell 01:16 PM 07-24-2012
Anybody tried this with gaming? Any lag?
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 01:52 PM 07-24-2012
You know its funny. When I looked at this Vizio at the other Sams in my area, i noted all the different pre-programmed picture formats - and the one I purchsed at my sams does not have them!! So perhaps I need to consider upgrading firmware?? I wonder what else it will give me. I wonder if it could potentially have a negatice effect on the pic?! I am not foreign to firmware upgrades by any means. The seriousness of the matter and a proper application thereof. But makes me wonder about the result once completed successfully too.

On the "hidden features issue", and I could point out that you never know when the manufacturer just might take those back in a firmware upgrade too!! But on the remote and the logitec programmables. Doesnt the logitec have a feature where you can just manually jamb a setting based on reference of other models. Or is it not that sophisticated. My last experience with programmables was the sony series around 100 bucks. I was not impressed with the overall value to what you got. So I left alone for now. The logitecs were just getting strong at that point and were still extremely expensive for what you got..
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggers View Post

Found another unlisted feature: Picture Freeze. You can freeze the screen at any time, and easily restart. Again need to use a programmable or learning remote, or an older Vizio remote with the feature.
Feature that does not work well: Found a single button setting to cycle through the different picture settings (e.g. standard, basketball, baseball, vivid. etc) without having to go through multiple menu settings to access them. When I tried cycling through them using the single button, eventually the tv would shut itself off. Haven't figured out a fix yet.

LordAlfred's Avatar LordAlfred 11:46 AM 07-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by purell View Post

Anybody tried this with gaming? Any lag?

Yeah, this is my question as well. None of the reviews on Sam's Club or Amazon's site mention this, and it worries me. I get the feeling that I would end up having to buy one to find out. Other Vizio sets don't seem to be the greatest in this area so it makes me nervous. Someone did mention that it's an LG panel but that doesn't mean too much as the Panny ET5's are also LG panels and their input lag is lower than many of LG's own sets.
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 12:52 PM 07-25-2012
I am in the process of getting my old self into gaming. I am planning to download some PS3 games tonight or tomorrow. Most likely a 3d Game and black ops...

So I am out of the loop. Is there any particular instance you would like me to look for.?
purell's Avatar purell 07:21 PM 07-28-2012
Cnet reviewed with settings in movie mode. no word on input lag though.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-568991/vizio-m3d550kd-picture-settings/
bbc3's Avatar bbc3 11:54 PM 07-28-2012
Regarding gaming or LAG. I have 2 PS3 games going in this set now. Rachet & Clank. I have been watching the kids play and i see no issues. Not even in 3D. I just played COD - Black ops. Sadly... I JUST CANT PLAY THESE GAMES. LOL They just suck for me. I'M pre-dated to the Arcade era unfortunately. But I really get into the FIFA.. Regarding the pic on Black OPs. I dont even know what to look for, but all I can say is it just looks like every other thing on the set.... AWSOME.....! I have a feeling there is something to the 240hz processing putting this thing over the top. The set is just immaculate the more I see it...
yourfatmama's Avatar yourfatmama 01:16 PM 07-30-2012
Purchased the 55" yesterday from Sam's Club. Seemed like a decent value for the features. Granted no local dimming, and i do notice the edge lit but not really during normal viewing. Out of the box good picture, turned off the Smooth Motion effect to help kill the Soap Opera effect.
Passive 3D looks pretty good so far, just checked out downloaded clips from you tube and was pretty impressed, not sure how all the flaming against passive vs active occurs, i cant imagine active being much better if at all than Vizio's passive 3d presentation. And factor in the kid & money friendly glasses, and i'm sold. We're loving the Olympics on this thing, wish i had the Olympic 3d channel! The trailer for despicable me and Christmas carol were both particularly impressive, heck even a poor quality trailer for a documentary "3D Africa" was cool and had good realistic depth on many scenes, thought i was gonna fall out of a tree in one scene. Ocean documentaries in 3d also look particularly great.
Also doesn't have 2d-3d conversion, was kinda bummed bout that, out of curiosity sake.

I'll try out some PS3 games and report back as to that but I expect good results.
baggers's Avatar baggers 01:20 AM 07-31-2012
The Olympics in 3D on the M3D550KD has been very good on events that have decent depth of field. The opening ceremonies were far better in 3D than 2D, as were gymnastics. Swimming events were fine as athletes stood ready to start, but lacked any "depth" or quality as they swam in the pool. Look on your cable channel website for the particular channel listings, which vary by geographical area and carrier. Airing is time-delayed and typically starts after midnight. Time Warner has two channels reserved for special 3D events, and one of them carries the Olympics. They are presented on TWC in 1080i Side By Side format. I look forward to the start of the field events shown in 3D.
Tags: Vizio , Vizio M3d550kd 55 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop