Possible to clean the inside of a lcd tv screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About nine months ago, I purchased my first HDTV-a 32 inch Sony Bravia KDL-32BX420 for the bedroom. I had no clue how to clean the thing, which leads me to my question.

I knew that certain cleaners had to be used, and that Windex and paper towels was not the way to go. So, when I got the HDMI cables I needed to hook my FIOS and my computer up, it came with something called CleanScreen, and a micro fiber cloth. The directions said to hold the bottle about 6 inches from the screen, spray and wipe with the included micro fiber cloth. I did that. It didn't do a good job as it seemed to leave a lot of streaks. So, next up, I got Monster Cable's TV screen cleaning kit. This time I sprayed it on the cloth, wiped carefully-still streaks. The first cleaner has "proprietary polymers" Well, one of them have mucked the screen up. Smudges all over.

But the thing that gets me, when I'm watching the TV, in the upper right corner there looks to be like a streak on the screen...about the length of a finger, slightly crooked. It's really only visible when something light appears on screen, but it's annoying. Is it possible that some of the first cleaner ran down behind the screen? And if so, is it possible to clean the back side of the screen to remove this shadow? Can the screen be removed somehow?

Thanks!

I'm going to go with another mf cloth, and some distilled water to try and clean it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Unless you have heavy smokers in the household or kids placing dirty hands all over the screen you should never need anything more than a microfibre cloth and perhaps an occasional misting of the cloth with distilled water - never spray on the screens unless you have the thing operating in a Machine Shop and filthy from the environ - which is a rarity.

It's extremely unlikely that anything would drip into the internal layers but not impossible, I managed a network with over 600 LCD monitors and dozens of LCD TV's. Occasionally I'd get a bad line of monitors and we would disassemble units that failed prematurely to troubleshooting and identify the failure points and there are about 7 layers on most CCFL's but it's rarely that internal dripping to occur. What's more likely is for chemical sprays to damage the outer layer coating of the LCD - you don't need chemicals - distilled water misted on the cloth should work 99% of the time but regular dry use should suffice unless the panel is exposed to smoke, dust, and young childrens tendency to touch everything.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 18 Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so if it's unlikely that a liquid did this...what did it, and how can I clean it off? It's making me nuts. I'm stuck in bed pretty much 24/7 right now because of my back and knee, and this imperfection in the screen is there every time I watch TV.

I've tried a dry microfiber cloth, and I've tried another cloth with a mist of distilled water. It's still there.

Here's what I'm talking about. In the upper right hand corner of the picture. Looks like a smudge mark going from top down in a crooked line, like a finger.

Lots of people have looked at this. I hope that somebody will give me an idea on how I can make this go away.

Thank you
post #4 of 18 Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I looked on the receipt for the TV, and I purchased the extended two year warranty. It covers all parts and labor for manufacturer defects, as well as normal wear and tear including condensation, etc. So it will be a free fix (thank God!)

I'm still curious what it is.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM

I have the exact same thing on an LG about 3 years old. The warranty period is over, so if anyone has a clue as to how to fix this problem, please respond. I have an engineering degree, so taking the TV apart is not a problem for me, but I'd like to know if anyone out there has any experience with this kind of problem.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to bump this thread up, and see if anybody can help.

Thank you!
post #7 of 18 Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 263
As someone noted, the best, and safest method to clean any panel is distilled water and a clean, microfiber cloth. You can warm the water up for stubborn smudges. If that doesn't work, you can use, very sparingly, good quality eye glass cleaner (like what you get from your eye doctor) and the microfiber on stubborn areas. For normal, light weekly dusting, I recommend using a Swifter Sweeper unscented refill.

Some commercial cleaners will leave smear marks on the panel because of their chemical composition and some can interact with the panel's outer coating leaving smear marks. If you can't remove those by using warm, distilled water and a microfiber or with the eye glass cleaner, there probably isn't anything that you can do. I don't know if this would be covered by any sort of warranty because it's not really a defect in manufacturing, unless you say it just appeared after a period of time wink.gif I have a two-year old LG and have used the water/microfiber/Swifter Sweeper cleaning/dusting methods and my panel looks the way it did when I first took the LG out of it's box.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I believe I found the answer. I noticed this pretty right after i got the TV, and didn't really think it was anything I did. Turns out it's likely a manufacturing defect with the screen.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8511656_dark-streaks-lcd-tv-screen.html
Quote:
What Are the Dark Streaks on My LCD TV Screen?
Written by David Lipscomb | Translated by Ehow Contributor

Black streaks on LCD screens are visible against light backgrounds.
Dark streaks on most liquid crystal displays (LCDs) tend to be manufacturing defects. Although it is possible to experience temporary image retention on an LCD, this usually goes away with normal use. Dark streaks can plague any brand, visible when the screen displays a light-coloured background. Technically known as birefringent streaking, it is one of the most-noticeable and annoying LCD screen defects. Black streaks are possible on any sized LCD screen, from televisions to portable devices.

And that describes perfectly what I encounter. The TV picture overall is beautiful, and I only see this when that part of the screen is lighter. I've never used anything but approved cleaners on the screen, so it's nothing I did. And since I have a 4 year warranty that covers defects, I can get a new screen. Yay!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 263
That's good to know. Congrats on finding your problem and it's good to know that it will be covered under warranty smile.gif
post #10 of 18 Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 AM

I have a question. I was sitting here this morning when I see a small gnat crawling on my screen. I use a 24 inch Orion lcd for a pc monitor. Anyway, I try to brush it off only to find it's not on the outside of the screen. So I'm thinking it must be some Facebook Halloween stunt or something. I push against the lcd a little only to end up squishing said gnat. Now I have a dead gnat sitting in the lower right hand corner of my screen...all the time. Is there a way to clean it out of there?

post #11 of 18 Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I have a question. I was sitting here this morning when I see a small gnat crawling on my screen. I use a 24 inch Orion lcd for a pc monitor. Anyway, I try to brush it off only to find it's not on the outside of the screen. So I'm thinking it must be some Facebook Halloween stunt or something. I push against the lcd a little only to end up squishing said gnat. Now I have a dead gnat sitting in the lower right hand corner of my screen...all the time. Is there a way to clean it out of there?

got exactly the same issue... pressed on this small bug just to find out it was inside the screen and got stuck in there, really annoying.

Have anyone managed clean the panel from the inside?
post #12 of 18 Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by morel View Post

got exactly the same issue... pressed on this small bug just to find out it was inside the screen and got stuck in there, really annoying.

Have anyone managed clean the panel from the inside?
You have to disassemble the LCD module and separate the panel from the backlight. I would strongly advise against attempting it unless you know what you're doing and have access to a clean room. Odds are you will either damage something, or end up with more dust and debris between the LCD panel and the backlight than when you started.
morel likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 AM

Thanks Strerdude

as you said it will not be worth to dissemble the panel, I probably just do more damage.

I guess I have to accept this gnat in the middle of my screeen
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How big is your screen?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM

it's a PC monitor Dell u2412m
if it was a TV it wouldn't have bother me, but in a PC screen it hides text...
post #16 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, given that it's only 24" it makes the task more manageable, but still challenging. I've taken 20" Dell monitors apart before and totally disassembled the LCD module to separate the backlight from the LCD panel. I guess it comes down to how mechanically inclined you are and how adventurous you are.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM

I have a non working 20inch dell monitor, I'll will experiment with it first,

If I will find a simpler solution for the dead gnats inside the screen, which I found is a very common problem, I'll post here
post #18 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
good thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page