General LED TV question...interesting problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
We have a LG LW5300 television, and I noticed something tonight for the first time that really bothered me. Actually, I have noticed this problem on one other movie, but didn't think much of it until I saw it again tonight.
The first time I noticed this phenomenon was in Beauty and the Beast in 3D.....There is a scene towards the end of the movie where Gaston is talking to Bell, and it's like the first frame is dark, and then all of a sudden it brightens up.
I thought it was kind of strange, but didn't really think too much of it.
Tonight I was watching Lion King 3D, and there were some transition scenes that were really jacked up! For instance, when Simba and Nala are walking along with Zazu I believe in scene 4 of the movie, you see the shot from overhead.....as soon as the shot comes down to their walking level, the picture on the TV for a mere split second goes from dark to light! I couldn't quite figure out what I was seeing. I then did a rewind, and watched it over and over......finally it dawned on me what I thought I was seeing....to me it almost seems as if the backlights in the different zones of the TV can't transition fast enough, and so for a split second you see these dark shadows, but they quickly spread out and the picture is fine again. It's really as if the backlights fan outward from the center very quickly.
Now I must have rewound about 10 times, and I could get it to reproduce this about 8 times....twice I didn't see this happen at all.

What is causing this? Is this a specific problem to my LG television, or is this a problem that all LED TV's have? Is there anything I can do in settings to stop it?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post

Hello,
We have a LG LW5300 television, and I noticed something tonight for the first time that really bothered me. Actually, I have noticed this problem on one other movie, but didn't think much of it until I saw it again tonight.
The first time I noticed this phenomenon was in Beauty and the Beast in 3D.....There is a scene towards the end of the movie where Gaston is talking to Bell, and it's like the first frame is dark, and then all of a sudden it brightens up.
I thought it was kind of strange, but didn't really think too much of it.
Tonight I was watching Lion King 3D, and there were some transition scenes that were really jacked up! For instance, when Simba and Nala are walking along with Zazu I believe in scene 4 of the movie, you see the shot from overhead.....as soon as the shot comes down to their walking level, the picture on the TV for a mere split second goes from dark to light! I couldn't quite figure out what I was seeing. I then did a rewind, and watched it over and over......finally it dawned on me what I thought I was seeing....to me it almost seems as if the backlights in the different zones of the TV can't transition fast enough, and so for a split second you see these dark shadows, but they quickly spread out and the picture is fine again. It's really as if the backlights fan outward from the center very quickly.
Now I must have rewound about 10 times, and I could get it to reproduce this about 8 times....twice I didn't see this happen at all.

What is causing this? Is this a specific problem to my LG television, or is this a problem that all LED TV's have? Is there anything I can do in settings to stop it?
Thanks.

probably some dynamic backlight/contrast setting, check your current picture settings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page