50-60'' LED HDTV recommendations (1,500 USD) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently working on building a HTPC. At the same time I'm trying to find a new TV and hope to find recommendations here.

These are my requirements so far:

- LED (I was considering a Plasma before and like their picture quality while being cheaper than the new LEDs but changed my mind after reading about their heat and the image burn in)
- 50-60'' (given my budget it'll probably be a 50'', rather wanna compromise on size than on picture quality. Anything below 50'' is too small)
- 1080p Full HD
- good 24p handling would be nice
- Usage: mostly used with a HTPC (XBMC) to play movies and series, maybe a bit gaming, watching TV every once in a while
- Setting: no bright sunlight but either dark or having some lights turned on (I'm usually not home before evening/night)
- 3D nice-to-have but not a must-have (if I can test view it and love it I would be willing to pay for it, but so far I'm pretty disappointed of what I saw in terms of consumer 3D technology=
- can live without fancy apps and social TV whatsoever thingies (am building a HTPC box anyways)
- Budget: around 1,500 USD (I'm not on a shoestring and can spend more but don't want to burn money either)

I was looking around a lot (have to add that I'm living in Bangkok where it can be difficult to find certain hardware or products) and so far I liked:
- Samsung for its picture quality and flat panels
- Sony for its picture quality and overall style, though seemed to be comparably more expensive
- LG for its 3D (was the only TV that I tried which really surprised me positively regarding 3D)

Opinions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays View Post

Opinions welcome!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21913512

Wrooster
post #3 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Would like to bring up this topic again. Finished building my HTPC and buying a TV would be next. Still don't know which one I should get.

Most 55'' TVs seem to be in the 900-1200€ price range which would be within my budget. However, there also seem to be TVs for 2000-3000€ so I am a bit confused about the big difference in price and whether 900-1200€ really would get me a good 50-50'' HDTV.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The high end sets like the Sharp elite series definitely do provide a better picture quality. The full-array lit sets tend to provide better blacks and contrast and better screen uniformity. To match plasma PQ, you pretty much have to go with the high end LED. With that said, the lower cost TVs are still pretty good so if a cost is a problem, you should not hesitate with the lower cost sets provided they come from one of the main TV brands. You should definitely check some reviews and do some comparisons though as different sets have different strengths and weaknesses and you will need to determine which weaknesses you are more willing to live with. If shopping from the main TV brands, I wouldn't worry about reliability with the lower cost sets too much. They will be just as reliable if not moreso (more features means more can go wrong) than the high end sets.

Samsung and Sony will have better black levels and contrast generally while LG will have better viewing angles. For 3D, active, in theory, can provide a slightly better picture quality, but in most circumstances, it is very difficult to realize that potential advantage and it seems that more people prefer the convenience and effectiveness of LG's passive 3D. There's a big test of active vs passive here:
http://www.displaymate.com/3D_TV_ShootOut_1.htm
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, bargugl.

Can you recommend any test/review sites or recents product reviews/test for the 50-60'' range?

Regarding 3D, does only LG produce passive 3D TVs? Indeed I like Samsung for their picture quality, and don't mind viewing angle. So a passive 3D Samsung would be the way to go (or Sony, since you recommend them for their picture quality too).
post #6 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays View Post

Thanks, bargugl.

Can you recommend any test/review sites or recents product reviews/test for the 50-60'' range?

Regarding 3D, does only LG produce passive 3D TVs? Indeed I like Samsung for their picture quality, and don't mind viewing angle. So a passive 3D Samsung would be the way to go (or Sony, since you recommend them for their picture quality too).

Toshiba and Vizio do passive 3D, Sony's new 2013 model the R550 will offer passive 3D, Panasonic's ET50 from 2012 and the ET60 for 2013 are passive as well.

Samsung has yet to dive into the passive realm, though I would assume/hope that in the near future they as well as Sharp will dive into that category.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Other companies offer passive 3D, although any TV that uses passive 3d will have an LG produced IPS panel as LG Display owns the tech for passive (Vizio, Hisense, Toshiba, Sony, and Panasonic all have contracts to buy passive 3D IPS panels from LG Display). As IPS panels, they will have similar shortcomings to the LG sets, although the implementation may be different with other brands that could provide modest improvements. As of now, Samsung and Sharp have decided not to buy passive LG Display panels and they have yet to introduce any other type of passive 3D technology and I have not seen any announcement that they are officially developing it (and LG Display has so far not licensed the technology out to anyone). In any case, there are no passive 3D sets announced for Samsung and Sharp for the 2013 model year so you will be waiting quite a while to see it, if it ever happens.

I look at multiple review sites to see various opinions. I try not to go by just one source as it is amazing how much bias and personal preferences color reviews even in supposedly professional reviews. At least some of the data is useful, although that also needs some care in considering, given that different testing methodologies can make a significant difference. Among sites I look at are:
hometheater.com
soundandvisionmag.com
cnet.com
televisioninfo.com (look for the archived versions of reviews here as now that they have been bought by a different company they are giving out resummarized versions of reviews that aren't nearly as good)
hdtvtest.co.uk as a European site the model numbers are different so you have to figure out what TV corresponds with model numbers from other countries
digitalversus.com Again a European site that uses different model numbers
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page