Noone can answer my DLNA question! Not supported-LG LE5400 Series Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive posted here,and many other websites,and cannot seem to find to answer to this...Its a bit specific,but i have 2 friends at work i share movies/and mostly recorded sports events with ,and these friends both have The LG led LE5400 series tv that plays videos thru USB and also DLNA network.

I have a Samsung which i rarely have problems with it playing certain types of video..

But it seems no matter what i do i cannot find the correct specs for the LE5400 tv,so that they dont show up as "not supported" 100% of the time!

Some play,and some dont...And my friends are getting rather sick of it! Lol

I know the audio has to be at like 640kbps when i convert,but that doesnt always fix the video when i convert it..

Anyone have any suggestions?

here the link to Amazon of the exact tv (not size though)
http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LE5400-42.../dp/B0039JBXSM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If u have not found the answer is because you haven't asked the correct question.

First to understand: DLNA implementations are not uniform, unfortunately. As you found out, certain brand will play this, but same file will not play on other brand(s).

Now the manual: Will say this TV will play AVI, MPG etc blah-blah, but this is not sufficient information. An AVI video file, is just a CONTAINER as we geeks say, you have to know what the video file is ENCODED WITH. This is referred to as what CODEC (look up meaning is needed) is being used. Unfortunately, this information is not published, you the user have to do the legwork.

Steps to Proceed: You, yes you have to find out what CODEC are compatible both for your TV and your friends' TV, if sharing is you ultimate goal. THEN you will have to re-encode the files in question, there are many free video converters, but you will have to spend time converting
them. Video conversion slow.

Tip #1: You have to find out whether an unplayable file has a VIDEO CODEC or an AUDIO CODEC problem. My Sammy TV tells me, I don't know about your friends.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.Very good answer.

Do you mean like a program to like change the movie? Man that codec is DEEP man...

Maybe i could use something i have on my pc?
Maybe like

Mkvtoolnix
or
Multiavchd
or
Bigasoft Total Video Converter
or
TMPGEnc
Or
Sony Vegas

Or one of the many tools ive used over the last 8-10 years of video encoding ive done..

I know which codecs to use AND container...

I need better info like the bitrates it will accept (which the manual doesnt provide)

Like i do know that this model will only accept an AUDIO bitrate of at least 640kbps

But is that always the case?

More interested in the video...

Anyways, was hoping someone knew the correct reencode specs for an LE5400
LG TV
post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There should be a LE5400 Official (ahem) thread but u will have to blowse through its hundreds of posts. Use the search thread button.

Or maybe u get lucky and someone has already researched this and give u a ready answer. Maybe while ur waiting, run a few experiment. I have never heard of a bitrate limitation for TVs but hey maybe I just haven't bumped into this prob.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 23
Do you have the tv wired to router or have N wifi? You can get a program called PS3media server and host those files on your computer and have it stream over the network. DLNA is crap in my opinion, ps3 plays all the media files; Mkv, Ogm, avi, etc. you'll have to a little reading to set I up, but it'll be worth it.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Install Serviio http://www.serviio.org/,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page