Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

I just looked at mine. It would have been where yours says "version". See mine says TS01. So right under model #, it juts says 01? There are no letters at all? If you are still within your return policy why not try the same set just a replacement? I mean mine has lag, not terribad but not good. Like when a head is moving around I see the shades of it as it moves. But it's not super noticable 100% of the time. If yours is not much worse than that, then I'd say it's about normal for this set.

Yeah, I think to be honest it's just normal for this set. Sucks though. I use the samsung for normal viewing and now I play xbox on my 23'' LG pc monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

I just looked at mine. It would have been where yours says "version". See mine says TS01. So right under model #, it juts says 01? There are no letters at all? If you are still within your return policy why not try the same set just a replacement? I mean mine has lag, not terribad but not good. Like when a head is moving around I see the shades of it as it moves. But it's not super noticable 100% of the time. If yours is not much worse than that, then I'd say it's about normal for this set.

do you know exactly what kind of panel (*VA) TS01 refers to?
post #33 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM

There is a review for this model at www.televisioninfo.com; based on that ,I got this baby (version 46") and I can say the image is FANTASTIC! It is a chip basic DEL TV(no Wi Fi , no 3D- who cares!!) It's conected to my PS no problems whatsoever with blurr.
Settings: Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 41
Sharpness 0
Color 41
Tint G50/R50
Mode : Movie
Color tone : warm

PS.Forget the Game mode as is damaging the image pretty bad
post #34 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM

This are really bad settings; check my post next page or go to www.televisioninfo.com for detailed review.
post #35 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mif4sam View Post

This are really bad settings; check my post next page or go to www.televisioninfo.com for detailed review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdot View Post

Game mode "on"
Picture mode " Standard "
Backlight " 6 "
Contrast " 85 "
Brightness " 45 "
Sharpness " 25 "
Colour " 50 "
Colour tone " Warm1 "
Everything like Dynamic contrast etc all OFF, all the mpeg noise filter etc all OFF also.
Quote:

post #36 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM

That's just LCDs for you. Some people can see the sample-and-hold blur, some cannot. Some people it bothers, some it does not. You're obviously someone who notices it, as am I. But in any case, it's just the nature of the technology.
post #37 of 44 Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 AM

post #38 of 44 Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the UE40EH6030 would be any better for motion handling?
post #39 of 44 Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the UE40EH6030 would be any better for motion handling?

Hi,

I bought the 46EH6030 for HTPC and Xbox360 use in a 3mx3m room. We're very happy with the TV's PQ and haven't been bothered by motion issues.
post #40 of 44 Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM

I have 2 of the UN32EH5000's that I use as computer monitors and I love them. Took me a while to realize I had to change their input labels to PC and PC-DVI, but that solve the only issue I've had with them. I notice a little motion blur, but comparing it to my older 32" 60hz Samsung LCD and my even older 22" Samsung SyncMaster monitors there is no comparison. They are what they are. Very inexpensive ($350 for each) 32" 1080p computer monitors. I watch a lot of movies and sports on them and I couldn't be happier. I'm currently looking for a >55" LED or Plasma. I'm not sure if the 240hz is worth it over the 120hz on the LCD's or not. Or how that even compares to the "600hz" of the Plasma sets. Still a bit of research to do.

Looking at the UN55ES6030, UN55ES7003, UN55ES7100, PN60E550.
Quote:

There is a review for this model at www.televisioninfo.com; based on that ,I got this baby (version 46") and I can say the image is FANTASTIC! It is a chip basic DEL TV(no Wi Fi , no 3D- who cares!!) It's conected to my PS no problems whatsoever with blurr.
Settings: Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 41
Sharpness 0
Color 41
Tint G50/R50
Mode : Movie
Color tone : warm
PS.Forget the Game mode as is damaging the image pretty bad

Thanks so much for that link! I was looking for that website for the longest time, forgot to favorite it and couldn't find it in history.
post #41 of 44 Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkit View Post

Hi,
I bought the 46EH6030 for HTPC and Xbox360 use in a 3mx3m room. We're very happy with the TV's PQ and haven't been bothered by motion issues.

same here with my TS01 UN46EH6030... no motion issues
post #42 of 44 Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM

@Richdot

Hi. I'm looking to buy this exact model (in UK) and am frustrated that neither the box nor sticker on TV seem to give the level of info. necessary to avoid the panel lottery.

Did you ever do the Service Menu check (from Standby.... "Info" > "Menu" > "Mute" > "Power") to deduce the panel manufacturer from the "Type" shown in the Service Menu?
If so, would you mind sharing?

Thanks

**EDIT 24/11/2012**

Checked the Service Menu "Type" code on the display model in Currys (TV sticker - "Version: 01") and it was "40A......" - i.e. a Samsung panel.

Swallowed hard and bought one and it turned out to be "Version: 02" with a Service Menu "Type" code of "40H....." - i.e. a Sharp panel. Oh well....

Thankfully it seems o.k. and the missus is happy enough.

I've no idea if the above holds true of all "Version: 01" and "Version: 02" models but it doesn't help that you can't tell from the box anyway!

Whilst there were a number of boxed units on the shop floor ours was brought from the stock room and was tagged "Delivery Date 22/11/2012".
If there is any direct correlation between versions and panels it may be an idea to ask for the oldest stock item they have!
post #43 of 44 Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Doesn't accessing that "hidden" menu invalidate the warranty? Doesn't seem worth it when you can just look at the sticker on the set, no?
post #44 of 44 Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post

well you got to remember that you have a 60hz tv. that was the main drawback of the eh5000 series. i saw this at costco for $589 for the un40eh5050, but i decided to get the 6000 series instead b/c of the 120hz.

TVs with motion enhancements are not any better at handling blur, than the 60 Hz ones. Enhancements will simply mask it a bit, by upping the frames artificially, in which case, movement may look unnatural. Not to mention the visual artifacts and input lag it introduces. Any LCD/LED TV screen, if set up properly, can perform very well in 60 Hz.
Quote:

Should not really matter that it's 60hz could still control motion better

Precisely. It's a matter of setting it up right.

Quote:

Could anyone tell me if the Samsung UE40EH6030 will be any better handling motion than my current EH5000? As its terrible I see ghosting etc most of the time!

Ghosting, color bleeding or too much blur is not a direct result of the screen being 60 Hz or a lack of motion enhancements.

Here's what I recommend:

* Make sure the TV's native resolution is being used. If you're not sure, go with the highest one available. Usually it's 1080p, even with most screens under 40"

* Make sure 1:1 pixel mapping is enabled

* Keep all enhancements off

* Set up your game console's color space and reference levels correctly

* Hook up your console to the TV via HDMI only

* Enable Game Mode only if it helps with reducing the blur, and/or color bleeding, ghosting etc.

BTW, I did a quick search on the OP's TV, and it turns out it does have the 100 Hz motion enhancement feature. Try using that OP, to see if it makes a difference. Though I doubt if it'll reduce the blur, as all it does really is accelerate the frames superficially. Useful if you want your movies to look like a soap opera. Or your 30 fps games to look super smooth. The latter especially, comes at a price though.

More interesting is the fact that I own a Sony Bravia HDTV bought back in 2008. When I hooked it up via component (X360) to my TV, I was just left clueless so as to why the blur, ghosting and color bleeding was so noticeable. I was sore for months. Well, I discovered as time went by, that tweaking the settings makes a major difference. With a dash update, Microsoft introduced settings for HDMI such as Color Space and Reference Levels.

I discovered that using an HDMI cable, and setting the color space to Auto (configures RGB to games by default, and YCbCr to movies) and R.Levels to Standard, yielded the best results. At least for my TV. Better or more expensive TVs can handle Intermediate and Extended reference levels. This, I believe has a major impact on color bleeding (if the reference levels are set up incorrectly with regard to your specific model). As far as ghosting is concerned, you would definitely want to keep all enhancements off, and keep the sharpness at zero. Avoid setting the contrast higher than 75. Also keep the color saturation between 40 and 50. Play in a dark room, and keep the back light as low as it goes, without effecting illumination or brightness too much. Use 1:1 pixel mapping. In my TV there is an option called screen size: normal, full pixel. The latter refers to 1:1 pixel mapping, which is what you should aim for, on any resolution. Also keep, the picture setting/mode to "Standard". I don't believe "Cinema" yields the best colors, blacks/whites/greys for gaming, and "Vivid" doesn't work well for movies or games.

Finally, if you fail to notice an improvement after making these changes, you should consider having it calibrated for games, by a certified professional. Also, give the PC mode resolutions a try. Set your console to "optimal resolution". See if that makes a difference on the blur/ghosting issue.

Cheers, I hope by sharing this knowledge and experience, you are able to get more out of your screen. I know I sure did, and I love it now. Wouldn't want to upgrade for years to come!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 40 Inch Ua 40eh5000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page