Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2853 Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post

My tv picked up the new firmware 1017.4 on my request today, downloaded and will see if I notice any changes.

I updated a few days ago, nothing noticeable for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2853 Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM

The TV rebooting issue was supposed to be fixed by a firmware update at least a month ago, as you are up-to-date on firmware that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps your TV is trying to re-update as it does reboot when it updates firmware?

I would call Samsung and see what they say and then decide on the return.
post #273 of 2853 Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO45 View Post

I updated a few days ago, nothing noticeable for me.

same here.
post #274 of 2853 Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The TV rebooting issue was supposed to be fixed by a firmware update at least a month ago, as you are up-to-date on firmware that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps your TV is trying to re-update as it does reboot when it updates firmware?
I would call Samsung and see what they say and then decide on the return.

I ended up returning the tv to Costco. Not so much for any major issues, all in all I was pleased with the set but ultimately at nearly $2000 I could not justify the cost vs the ST50 I purchased for $750 less on Friday. As a former plasma owner i knew my environment was ideal for a plasma, no light issues and I don't game and no kids so hopefully IR will not be an issue. The additional viewing angle is a significant benefit of the plasma for our room. I had tweaked the 7100 to improve it as much as possible but it was no match for the plasma and when my wife commented that she missed the increased viewing angle I decided to revert back to a plasma.The 7100 is a beautiful set, I have nothing bad to say about it. I wish you guys well with yours.
Tic
post #275 of 2853 Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post

I ended up returning the tv to Costco. Not so much for any major issues, all in all I was pleased with the set but ultimately at nearly $2000 I could not justify the cost vs the ST50 I purchased for $750 less on Friday. As a former plasma owner i knew my environment was ideal for a plasma, no light issues and I don't game and no kids so hopefully IR will not be an issue. The additional viewing angle is a significant benefit of the plasma for our room. I had tweaked the 7100 to improve it as much as possible but it was no match for the plasma and when my wife commented that she missed the increased viewing angle I decided to revert back to a plasma.The 7100 is a beautiful set, I have nothing bad to say about it. I wish you guys well with yours.
Tic

Good luck with the ST50, I have heard great things about it. Don't worry about IR, I think that is overblown, I would just break it in for the first 100 hours (run slides over night for a few days and that will get you there fast). I initially went for a plasma myself, the Samsung PN60D8000, PQ was great but it had horrible directional buzzing (I tried exchanging but every set was bad) so I went for LED instead - I fear the buzz as I am very sensitive to it.
post #276 of 2853 Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks Elmo, I've enjoyed this thread, nice easy going and helpfully group, unlike some threads. I'll be around, I have learned a lot about Samsung LEDs and want to help when I can.
Can't blame you for dumping the buzzing plasma, so far so good with mine it has as very slight buzz that I noted tonight with the volume off but hopefully it will not prove to be an issue.
post #277 of 2853 Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

I am setting up my bias lighting right now - I haven't hidden wires or permanently installed anything yet. I was wondering if you all think I should move the lighting closer to the edges, thus allowing more light around the TV or move it further in and have less light?

post #278 of 2853 Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Looks pretty good...never thought about doing that, but after viewing your picture I might do it as well. Can you share some details and what you used? Thanks!
post #279 of 2853 Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM

I used Antec bias lighting - they were the only company I found that used USB as a power source to run bias lights. I didn't want to run an additional outlet behind my TV.

I am currently using two LED strips, one for the top and one for the bottom.

The great part of bias lighting is that it improve perceived PQ (i.e. contrast) and hides any screen uniformity due to how your eye deals with the light behind the TV. Cheapest way to improve your PQ.

Link to website: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705939&pid=305

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-HDTV-51-1-Inch-BIAS-LIGHTING/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346258027&sr=8-2&keywords=antec+bias+lighting
post #280 of 2853 Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I am setting up my bias lighting right now - I haven't hidden wires or permanently installed anything yet. I was wondering if you all think I should move the lighting closer to the edges, thus allowing more light around the TV or move it further in and have less light?

I would definitely move it further away and it appears to look quite blue. I do not know the light output of the Antec bias lighting nor the colour temperature although I looked now and they claim "Professionally calibrated 6500K color temperature" Normally you would think 1.5' to 2' away from the wall to get a broad enough area and unless it is the photo then assuming it is reasonably accurate it may be your wall. What colour is your wall?
post #281 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:

I used Antec bias lighting - they were the only company I found that used USB as a power source to run bias lights. I didn't want to run an additional outlet behind my TV.
I am currently using two LED strips, one for the top and one for the bottom.
The great part of bias lighting is that it improve perceived PQ (i.e. contrast) and hides any screen uniformity due to how your eye deals with the light behind the TV. Cheapest way to improve your PQ.
Link to website: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705939&pid=305
Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-HDTV-51-1-Inch-BIAS-LIGHTING/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346258027&sr=8-2&keywords=antec+bias+lighting

That's pretty awesome. Does our tv have a usb port to power it? I have never checked for that. And, is that two strips you are using?

I have a 46" tv and these are 51" do you know if they make smaller?

My Gear
post #282 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 AM

Yes, the ES line has 2 or 3 USB ports...one of them has more power than the rest (at work and don't have the TV in front of me).
post #283 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 10
I thought I would post a follow up to my post a while back about loosening the screws to get rid of clouding. It seems to be holding up. I only use standard mode, because the local dimming doesn't seem to work in movie mode. Also I noticed that on the various HDMI ports not all adjustments are a available. My AV receiver doesn't support 3D HDMI, so the DirecTV and PS3 got straight to the TV. But 3D is not appealing, and I was thinking off switching all through the receiver. But I noticed that DirecTV needed different adjustments as compared to AppleTV and PS3. So I decided to use all three inputs to the TV and optical cable back to the AVR. DirecTV picture tends to be really saturated, I turn color down compared to the other inputs.

Also, I finally found the "Game" mode referenced here, for those who don't know where it is, it is under Settings and then General.
post #284 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Can you post a picture with darker content like Tron:legacy, Batman:the dark knight or anything like that with the bias light?
post #285 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 13
ELMO45.

Why did you go with with 2 strips instead of 1?

thanks
post #286 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

ELMO45.
Why did you go with with 2 strips instead of 1?
thanks

I'd like to know the same thing. I have a 46" on the wall, I think the wall mount would block the light from coming for the top or bottom.

I also have a 47" in the other room i'd love to do this with.

ELMO, help we need info.

My Gear
post #287 of 2853 Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

I would definitely move it further away and it appears to look quite blue. I do not know the light output of the Antec bias lighting nor the colour temperature although I looked now and they claim "Professionally calibrated 6500K color temperature" Normally you would think 1.5' to 2' away from the wall to get a broad enough area and unless it is the photo then assuming it is reasonably accurate it may be your wall. What colour is your wall?

I think the light is a little higher than 6500K (maybe 6700k or so) and my walls right now are plain white (the white is a cooler shade of white as well) so I think the combo is making the bias light look blue. I will be painting the living room, including that wall a warmer grayish brown color soon - I think that will balance out and return the bias light to looking just white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

Does our tv have a usb port to power it? I have never checked for that. I have a 46" tv and these are 51" do you know if they make smaller?

The TV has 3 USB ports, I am using 2 of them to power the 2 strips. They only make 51" or 6" bias lights, however after every other LED lights there is a mark that you can cut the strip to shorten the length. Even with a 60" I am going to need to cut off the very end LEDs.

Quote:

I'd like to know the same thing. I have a 46" on the wall, I think the wall mount would block the light from coming for the top or bottom.
I also have a 47" in the other room i'd love to do this with.
ELMO, help we need info.

I went for 2 strips rather than 1 because my TV is wall mounted. With a wall mount it blocks the light diffusion from the top or bottom. If you had the TV on a stand I think 1 would work fine.
post #288 of 2853 Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I think the light is a little higher than 6500K (maybe 6700k or so) and my walls right now are plain white (the white is a cooler shade of white as well) so I think the combo is making the bias light look blue. I will be painting the living room, including that wall a warmer grayish brown color soon - I think that will balance out and return the bias light to looking just white.
The TV has 3 USB ports, I am using 2 of them to power the 2 strips. They only make 51" or 6" bias lights, however after every other LED lights there is a mark that you can cut the strip to shorten the length. Even with a 60" I am going to need to cut off the very end LEDs.
I went for 2 strips rather than 1 because my TV is wall mounted. With a wall mount it blocks the light diffusion from the top or bottom. If you had the TV on a stand I think 1 would work fine.

sorry, one more question. does this turn on and off with the tv power or is a separate power switch for each strip. Thanks for all the info.

My Gear
post #289 of 2853 Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM

They power off with the TV as their power comes from the USB ports.
post #290 of 2853 Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 PM

Television Info reviewed the ES7100, looks like black level and colors were great, but they weren't impressed with the screen uniformity and viewing angle. I agree with them on the viewing angle, but I would take the screen uniformity with a grain of salt. They have their calibration showing the backlight maxed (20), so no wonder their dark screen looked blotchy. I bet under normal viewing conditions with the backlight down to anything below 13 it wouldn't be noticeable and they are using movie mode which has micro-dimming disabled which helps with screen uniformity.

Review: http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-UN46ES7100-3D-LED-HDTV-Review.htm
post #291 of 2853 Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Television Info reviewed the ES7100, looks like black level and colors were great, but they weren't impressed with the screen uniformity and viewing angle. I agree with them on the viewing angle, but I would take the screen uniformity with a grain of salt. They have their calibration showing the backlight maxed (20), so no wonder their dark screen looked blotchy. I bet under normal viewing conditions with the backlight down to anything below 13 it wouldn't be noticeable and they are using movie mode which has micro-dimming disabled which helps with screen uniformity.
Review: http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-UN46ES7100-3D-LED-HDTV-Review.htm

I love the picture, I think it's great. I will confirm the viewing angle isn't good as well. That's no big deal to us as we sit directly in front of it.

My Gear
post #292 of 2853 Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 13
Demo Material.

I downloaded some Samsung demo files from Demo World. Scroll down to the Samsung section and then find the 8 files that begin with LED ...... . You can keep the files separate or join/merge them into 1 big file. Place the file(s) on a USB stick and then plug the stick into your ES7100.

The first 2 files, LED SmartLighting and LED Black Contrast, will show you how your panel is dealing with black levels.

As I put hours on my new 55ES7100 I run these files to see how the aging process is coming along. I can also play around with the various picture settings to see how they effect black levels and screen uniformity.
post #293 of 2853 Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

The Samsung light just started coming on randomly all by it's self today on my 60".

What's the deal with this?

Same problem my 55" was doing out of the box. The 60" took a couple of months to start this crap up.
post #294 of 2853 Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 AM

I just got my UN46ES7100 yesterday. So far no real problems. It came with firmware 1015. After reading this thread it seems that some have been able to upgrade to newer versions (1017). The Samsung support website has 1019 available for download.. I followed the latest 2012 firmware upgrade instructions for USB but all I get is a message to the the effect "no firmware updates found". I tried 2 different USB sticks. I get a similar mesage when I try the online update. Any thoughts as to what is going on here ??
post #295 of 2853 Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Try formatting your USB stick prior to downloading firmware on it, maybe that will get the TV to recognize it. If all else fails, wait about a week until the firmware gets pushed to your TV online.
post #296 of 2853 Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 235
To be more specific....
Many times, the firmware updates require the flash drive to be formatted as FAT32 (not NTFS). Double check the download/update instructions.
post #297 of 2853 Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM

I did try most of the usual stuff that was mentioned. NTFS or FAT32 made no diff. Tried both USB ports and tried diff USB sticks. I followed the latest 2012 install instructions and made sure the zip files were extracted to the root.
post #298 of 2853 Old 09-08-2012, 04:03 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the 7100 wifi? Can't you just get updates from the tv rather than transferring them from PC?

My Gear
post #299 of 2853 Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the 7100 wifi? Can't you just get updates from the tv rather than transferring them from PC?

Yes, it is has wifi....I've done all of my updates using wifi instead of the USB drive - works well!

I would like to know where we can find a real listing of what each firmware update fixes or changes. It seems the same information is listed for the last several updates....
post #300 of 2853 Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAnglum View Post

Yes, it is has wifi....I've done all of my updates using wifi instead of the USB drive - works well!
I would like to know where we can find a real listing of what each firmware update fixes or changes. It seems the same information is listed for the last several updates....

Yeah Me too. But that's what has me wondering what bnculp is doing. Why is he bothering with the computer?

My Gear
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page