Official Samsung UNXXES7100 Thread. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2856 Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thing must have some light sensor making the screen go dark. It was looking good, but turned off a light and the screen gets dark. Turned light on but room is getting darker as sun goes down so screen is still to dark.

Anyone know what that setting is?

Johnny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2856 Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM

I think it's the Eco sensor. Turned if off and we'll see if that fixes it.

Johnny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 2856 Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes thats the ECO setting function that controls that.
Some recommend setting the backlight higher for when its brighter and a lower setting when its darker (at night)
post #364 of 2856 Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post

I think it's the Eco sensor. Turned if off and we'll see if that fixes it.

Yes that will stop the changing picture brightness. Alternatively you can raise the minimum backlight level under eco-sensor to limit the range of changes. I think I had my BL at 12 +-3 and the minimum raised to 6 +-2. Room lighting will dictate what BL works best. The higher the BL and contrast the worse the viewing angle will be.
post #365 of 2856 Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Eco fixed it. It seems like a useless feature to me.

Johnny

post #366 of 2856 Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO45 View Post

Standard Mode
Backlight 9 with ECO on with a minimum of 4
Contrast 82
Brightness 53
Sharpness 16
Color 40
Tint G48/R52
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
Gamma -3
Color Tone Warm2

I realized I hadn't updated my settings and changed them from my original post on page 3. The one's I have now are above.

My main changes were turning backlight from 13 to 9 and contrast from 99 to 82. Everything else is pretty much the same (within a point or two of original post).

I found that even though test patterns showed I should have contrast to 99, I was getting a yellowish hue on the test patterns and people's skin tones looked too orange. Dialing the contrast down to 82 cured both and as others have found, makes off angle viewing not diminish, or at least appear to not to diminish, as quickly.
post #367 of 2856 Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

This thing must have some light sensor making the screen go dark. It was looking good, but turned off a light and the screen gets dark. Turned light on but room is getting darker as sun goes down so screen is still to dark.
Anyone know what that setting is?

You might also want to try setting the brightness to 46 or higher. Apparently at 45 and below, the screen will turn off the LEDs when the screen is completely black. Keeping it at 46 or above will disable this feature.
post #368 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Hey guys, I joined AVS just to post here. I am about to make my first HDTV purchase and I'm targeting the ES7100.

Right now, there's two good deals going on for this model. One from Costco for about ~$2200 after tax (comes with $200 Costco gift card) and the other for ~$2000 from Newegg (comes with $400 Newegg gift card, no tax). Obviously, Newegg has the better deal here but because I am a newbie with HDTVs, I favor the Costco's deal more due to their nice return policy in case something like dead pixel or clouding (common issue?) and returning a TV to an online retailer sounds like a big pain I'd rather avoid. I'd treat both gift cards like cash so there's no issue there.

I've seen this TV many times in person and I'm sure it's what I want. I just fear for the quality of I might be getting from Newegg but $400 discount is so hard to pass up. Any advice?
post #369 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Liked: 13
Amazon also has a $400.00 gift card (ends tomorrow) and a very good return policy . I have not seen very many comments about Newegg return policy.
post #370 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

Amazon also has a $400.00 gift card (ends tomorrow) and a very good return policy . I have not seen very many comments about Newegg return policy.

I've never purchased a high priced item like this through Newegg, but any returns I have made have been nothing short of seamless. The downside is they require a restocking fee for this item, although they do cover the cost of return shipping. If you have a local Costco, it may be a more convenient way to go. I'll second Amazon being a great option.

All that being said, if you did have any issues with the TV, Samsung's warranty department has been top notch in my experience.
post #371 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diishen View Post

Hey guys, I joined AVS just to post here. I am about to make my first HDTV purchase and I'm targeting the ES7100.
Right now, there's two good deals going on for this model. One from Costco for about ~$2200 after tax (comes with $200 Costco gift card) and the other for ~$2000 from Newegg (comes with $400 Newegg gift card, no tax). Obviously, Newegg has the better deal here but because I am a newbie with HDTVs, I favor the Costco's deal more due to their nice return policy in case something like dead pixel or clouding (common issue?) and returning a TV to an online retailer sounds like a big pain I'd rather avoid. I'd treat both gift cards like cash so there's no issue there.
I've seen this TV many times in person and I'm sure it's what I want. I just fear for the quality of I might be getting from Newegg but $400 discount is so hard to pass up. Any advice?

Also, the Costco deal includes the wireless keyboard and 4 pairs of the $20 active 3D glasses......added value there!

I just got mine delivered today and playing with it. Costco is where I bought. About $1900 total after tax when you factor in the $200 cash card.

The glasses are not great as they appear to let too much light in on the sides. I'm no 3D pro. The 3D settings need to be adjusted each time you watch a show it seems too.

I'd be worried about a refurb through Newegg - no reason other than I always wonder after a product has been out a few months how those places really operate....

I'm enjoying my 90 day free trial with Costco and used my AMEX to extend the warranty for free.

Good Luck
post #372 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM

The TV comes with four glasses in the box. t least mine from Amazon did.

Johnny

post #373 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:

That is what they call the "soap opera effect." It is common on LED (LCD) TVs nowadays as it is extra video processing (frame interpolation) to compensate for the worse motion performance of the LED technology. The TV comes out of the box set to "standard" - under picture settings, Auto Motion Plus. Try changing it to "clear" or custom and set Blur Reduction to 10 and Judder Reduction to 0. Either of these settings should help with motion blur without giving you the soap opera effect.
I made the clear setting and it fixed the problem. It came back and I noticed my change was gone and I was back at standard. Is there something I need to do to make the change permanent?

Johnny

post #374 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I made the clear setting and it fixed the problem. It came back and I noticed my change was gone and I was back at standard. Is there something I need to do to make the change permanent?

It should not change unless you switched video sources, i.e. TV to HDMI 1 or HDMI 1 to HDMI2. All sources need to be adjusted separately, but once adjusted it should remain set baring something funky happening. I have had mine set to clear since day one and I have never had it change. If it continues to change after you set it I would give Samsung customer support a call to troubleshoot.
post #375 of 2856 Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 PM

I would go with either Costco or Amazon, I love newegg but I have only ever purchased smaller electronics there and I wouldn't want to mess with a restocking fee just in case. The advantage Costco has over Amazon is a longer return policy (not better, just longer) and you get a wireless keyboard.

If you are also worried about warranty Costco automatically extends it to 2 years or if you go with Amazon you can always purchase a squaretrade warranty through Costco for $100 to extend the warranty to 3 years (4 years if you also purchased at Costco).

I ended up purchasing my TV at Video Only to support a local business, but got the squaretrade warranty through Costco. Either way you can't really go wrong.
post #376 of 2856 Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Like Elmo45 responded, the TV remembers changes for each input. If you changed something for a device and switch to another device on another input, the change will not have been made there. However, if this is not the case, possibly your TV was not set to "Home Use" when it was initially set up, but was set to "Store Demo". (Possibly the TV has to be set to the "TV" input for this menu option to come up.) Store Demo does not allow the TV to retain changes to settings, but reverts back to the defaults. Read your manual near the beginning regarding initial setup of the TV. It will tell you how to change it to Home Use by holding certain remote keys simultaneously.
post #377 of 2856 Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

It should not change unless you switched video sources, i.e. TV to HDMI 1 or HDMI 1 to HDMI2. All sources need to be adjusted separately, but once adjusted it should remain set baring something funky happening. I have had mine set to clear since day one and I have never had it change. If it continues to change after you set it I would give Samsung customer support a call to troubleshoot.
DOH! I knew that, I knew that:). I just needed you guys to remind me.

Johnny

post #378 of 2856 Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM

BTW, the Amazon free gift card promotion with this TV ends today. When I bought mine it was $300 and it's up to $400 now.

Johnny

post #379 of 2856 Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:

BTW, the Amazon free gift card promotion with this TV ends today. When I bought mine it was $300 and it's up to $400 now.

Try calling to get a price adjustment, they will sometimes match it if you are within your return period (30 days). The worst they can say is no.
post #380 of 2856 Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Hey guys was wondering how I turn on micro dimming and any have a good calibration
post #381 of 2856 Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Try calling to get a price adjustment, they will sometimes match it if you are within your return period (30 days). The worst they can say is no.
After calling on Friday and now on Monday, they won't do it. I can't complain, I was happy to get the $300 gift card and Amazon has treated me well over the years.

Johnny

post #382 of 2856 Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

After calling on Friday and now on Monday, they won't do it. I can't complain, I was happy to get the $300 gift card and Amazon has treated me well over the years.
They sent me the email asking how my customer service call went. I gave 5 out of 5 for ease of use and for the CSR but two starts for the result. I got another email saying call back to see if Amazon can fix the problem. I did and still couldn't get the gift card but did get a $100 credit to my account. Works for me.

Johnny

post #383 of 2856 Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

If I bring a guy in to do an ISF calibration wil I still be able to go back to the settings I have now? In other words, does it just add new presets under the menu or does it change things at the internal level on the set and thus render my current settings completely non-reproduceable.

Got offered a great deal on an ISF cal. I am pretty happy with how my set looks now though, and don't want to risk any changes if I can't get em back.

I Like Digital!
post #384 of 2856 Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsniper7 View Post

Hey guys was wondering how I turn on micro dimming and any have a good calibration

Micro dimming is enabled by default with Standard mode, and disabled for Movie mode. Nitra's standard settings in the ES8000 forum are a good starting point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

Retoasting.
Cal Settings.
Picture
Picture Mode Movie Standard <-- Currently 7/23/12 Micro-Dimming is not working in Movie Mode.
Backlight 12*** <--- See notes below
Contrast 80
Brightness 45
Sharpness 16
Color 48
Tint G49/R51
Screen Adjustment Screen Fit
Advanced Settings
Dynamic contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh tone 0
RGB mode off
Color Space Custom
Red: 43,0,0
Green: 0,53,0
Blue: 0,0,59
Yellow: 52,52,0
Cyan: 0,51,51
Magenta: 45,0,50
White Balance: on
R-Offset: 27
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 24
R-Gain: 5
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 20
10p white balance off
Gamma -1
Expert pattern off
xvYCC off
Motion lighting off
Black enhancer off
Picture Options
Color tone Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black Level Normal*** <--- See notes
Film mode Auto2*** <-- See notes
Auto Motion Plus Standard*** <--- See notes
LED motion plus Off*** <--- See notes
System/ECO Solution
ECO Sensor ON
Minimum backlight level 5
NOTES:
The use of the backlight at setting of 12, relies on the combined use of the ECO sensor, during times when watching in near darkness, it's more likely you'll notice light convergence on the panels with higher backlight settings, but when combined with the ECO sensor, the panel will automatically turn down the backlight level as needed, and raise it back up when you're watching in a bright room.
HDMI Black Level, a common mistake on this setting is that "Low" will give you a full black palette, this is opposite to the truth. Low = 16-255, Normal = 0-255, if you have a STB where you're noticing the blacks are more of a gray, try adjusting this setting, but as a general rule, you want all of your equipment in "Normal" mode and not clipping out any data.
Flim Mode, this option will only become accessible when you're watching interlaced content, 1080i, 480i etc, so, if you're cable box is set to output at 1080, it's likely outputting in 1080i, if you see quite a bit of stuttering in the scene, try and make an adjustment here first.
Auto Motion Plus, Standard is a good rule of thumb, for some people and some sports, you may want to set this to "Clear", it should only be noticeable during panning scenes or fast motion.
LED Motion Plus, Classic CRT TV's had a strobe effect to them, it was generally not noticeable, but would help trick the eye into not seeing flaws in the picture, enabling this setting, will simulate the same effect, it strobes the backlights to attempt to provide the same effect. If you are new to an LED/LCD panel and the movement/motion on the screen irks you a little, try turning this on for a few weeks until you get use to the panel.
Break in, all of these sets have a minimum of 3-4 weeks before they can be considered broken in.
These settings are only provided as a reference.
Also, for reference regarding panel uniformity, please read the link below.
http://asia.cnet.com/is-tv-brightness-uniformity-a-problem-62213336.htm
Keep in mind given the above link, with the correct use of the Backlight settings when combined with the ECO sensor, the large majority of uniformity issues will go away.
post #385 of 2856 Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

If I bring a guy in to do an ISF calibration wil I still be able to go back to the settings I have now? In other words, does it just add new presets under the menu or does it change things at the internal level on the set and thus render my current settings completely non-reproduceable.
Got offered a great deal on an ISF cal. I am pretty happy with how my set looks now though, and don't want to risk any changes if I can't get em back.

ISF calibration depends on the calibrator, but they can go into the service menu and enable two additional modes (cal-day and cal-night), which can be copied to any of the other presets. You will still have your original modes available (standard, movie, natural, etc.) and can tweak these independently, so you should not lose those settings.
post #386 of 2856 Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM

So I learned that micro dimming is a gimic if this is true wtf is so different from this series from the 6500
post #387 of 2856 Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:

So I learned that micro dimming is a gimic if this is true wtf is so different from this series from the 6500
Key difference is the 6500 is a 120Hz display rate and the 7100 and above support 240Hz.
post #388 of 2856 Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:

I would not be so quick on calling micro dimming a gimmick (I'm also interested in your source). I did a good visual comparison between the 6500 and 7100 - the 7100 had much better blacks....even my wife noticed a difference.

The 7100 is also a dual core based TV.
post #389 of 2856 Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Any soccer fans out there? i am pretty happy with my settings for regular DIRECTV, movies etc... but i cant seem to dial things in for sports (mostly soccer) The white lines sometimes look blurry and the grass goes from grainy to crystal clear but constantly going back and forth between the two is slightly annoying.

Cheers
post #390 of 2856 Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM

This has just occurred to me. If a watch a movie that I'm streaming via the ES7100, how the heck do I get the audio out to my AVR (Denon AVR-2809CI)?

Johnny

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page