post #451 of 2881 Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix3r View Post

Bumping this fix.
If you notice any screen flicker during dark/blank frames, brightness 46 or above to disable!
Super happy with this panel btw, required tweaks:
Picture mode: Movie (disables micro dimming, more uniform backlight)
Motion Plus: Off (disables smoothing, it always looks crap)
LED Motion Plus: Off
Energy Saving: Off (disables auto brightness)
Eco Sensor: Off (disables auto dimming by room brightness)
Recommended settings for dark room movies:
Backlight < 12
Contrast < 90
Brightness > 46
Sharpness < 50
Dynamic Contrast: Med/High
Black Tone: Darkest
Color Space: Native
Gamma: +1
For consoles turn game mode on in system - general, and try to match your settings.

Thanks for sharing the settings, I'll definitely try this tonight.

What bothers me with these settings is if disabling smoothing, micro dimming, auto dimming really increases the picture quality, why did I pay extra for these features in the first place. Perhaps one tier down in the series would suit me better if I actually end up liking these settings. rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2881 Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on comparing this TV to the Panasonic Plasma 60GT50? Thanks!
post #453 of 2881 Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdustinb View Post

You might also want to try setting the brightness to 46 or higher. Apparently at 45 and below, the screen will turn off the LEDs when the screen is completely black. Keeping it at 46 or above will disable this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix3r View Post

Bumping this fix.
If you notice any screen flicker during dark/blank frames, brightness 46 or above to disable!

Some additional info regarding this posted over in the es8000 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

hello eagle
I tested the effect of brightness a bit more:

From this, you can see:
When brightness is set at 44 or lower, luminance at 1% is the same as at 0%: blacks are crushed.
When brightness is set at 47 or higher, luminance at 0% minimum black goes up.
So best is a setting at 45 or 46.
I then measured following at 20%:
Brightness 45 -> luminance 4.41cd/m2
Brightness 46 -> luminance 4.64cd/m2
Then I tried at brightness 46 to lower RGB offset. Reducing RGB offset by equal amounts of 2 for R, G and B kept the proper balance and reduced luminance to 4.3, which is just slightly lower than at brightness 45 with original RGB offset settings.
So if you dont like the auto dimm shutoff, you can increase brightness setting to 46, and lower RGB offset by -1,-1,-1 or -2,-2,-2
post #454 of 2881 Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdustinb View Post

Some additional info regarding this posted over in the es8000 thread:

Garnoch also mentioned that if you turn Dynamic Contrast on Low and/or Black Tone on Dark while Brightness is set to 46, it will re-enable the LED auto shutoff when the screen is all black. By increasing brightness to 47, it will again disable this even with Dynamic Contrast and/or Black Tone enabled.
post #455 of 2881 Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post

If you look at the ES7100 on Amazon and scroll down, you will see a table that shows the features included on and not included on each model series. I see two differences between the 7100 and 7500: the 7500 has gesture control and a camera built in. The 7500 has Pro micro-dimming while the 7100 has Standard. I can't tell you the difference between the two.
Do you want the gesture control? After reading many customer reviews stating it worked poorly, I didn't. Find the difference between Pro and Standard micro dimming and that should tell you if it's worth the extra money.

I've seen this comparison chart too, but from everything I've read the 7100 and 7500 seem to have the same number of zones for dimming, and you actually have to jump to the 8000 series for more zones (which I'm guessing is what pro is referring to).
post #456 of 2881 Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtrigsman View Post

I've seen this comparison chart too, but from everything I've read the 7100 and 7500 seem to have the same number of zones for dimming, and you actually have to jump to the 8000 series for more zones (which I'm guessing is what pro is referring to).

This video (orignally posted by Nitra in the es8000 thread): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKa6R8MMQ0g explains that the 7100 & 7500 both have 288 zones (software controlled) for micro-dimming. The difference is in the amount and types of processing that is applied. The 8000 has more zones.

According to the video, the 7100's micro dimming standard applies one processing enhancement (contrast) across 288 zones. The 7500's micro dimming pro applies three processing enhancements (contrast, color, sharpness) across 288 zones; the 8000's micro dimming ultimate applies the three processing enhancements across 576 zones.

Info presented as is: relative value of the three versions of micor dimming will be in the eye of the beholder.
post #457 of 2881 Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arahambone View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on comparing this TV to the Panasonic Plasma 60GT50? Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing. I have that Panny - (2 weeks now) and I'm not impressed. I'm coming from UN55D7000 and I'm very strongly considering returning the 60GT50 and getting this 60ES7100 or the 7500 (but I don't think I'll notice the super duper dimming).
post #458 of 2881 Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got this TV at hhgreg. Got it with a 32" TV free as a promotion. So far I love it, perfect. Just going to tweak the settings some from what I read here. Also have to upgrade my Yamaha receiver now as it doesn't have digital hook ups just RCA. Anyone suggest a cheap decent receiver? I like Yamaha as the one I have now is about 17 years old and still works great, just outdated.
post #459 of 2881 Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 AM

Hi guys,

I'm about 3 weeks into my owning this TV and I'm quite satisfied until I came across this problem. My TV keeps popping up an error that says "Network is not connected. Check Network Settings to use Internet Services (Error_Model_Bind)". The error message comes up for 5 seconds, and reappears every few minutes. Very annoying as you can imagine.

My wireless network is perfectly fine, every other device in the house has access to the internet with no problems. Based on my Google results, people are saying the TV is capable of connecting to the internet but the Samsung Smart Hub services is down and causing this error. I noticed that this be true as the app store does not open and I cannot log in with my Samsung account.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem? How can I disable the Wifi connection in the mean time to avoid the error message? Can I shutdown the Smart Hub all together?
post #460 of 2881 Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob26 View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. I have that Panny - (2 weeks now) and I'm not impressed. I'm coming from UN55D7000 and I'm very strongly considering returning the 60GT50 and getting this 60ES7100 or the 7500 (but I don't think I'll notice the super duper dimming).

Unfortunately the comparison from LED to Plasma isn't exactly apples to apples as each technology has it's strengths and weaknesses. Typically LEDs have a bit more "pop" to the picture as they have higher light output, but suffer from screen uniformity and motion issues. Plasmas have a uniform screen, can go completely black without losing light output, have basically perfect motion handling, but can suffer from dithering problems and buzzing (some also find plasmas to look a bit flat). There are whole threads dedicated to LED vs Plasma on the forum.

If the GT50 isn't doing it for you then by all means switch to LED. I would go for the 7100 over the 7500 as the only difference is standard vs pro micro-dimming. I have seen both side by side and I couldn't tell a difference, so I would save the $200.
post #461 of 2881 Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diishen View Post

Hi guys,
I'm about 3 weeks into my owning this TV and I'm quite satisfied until I came across this problem. My TV keeps popping up an error that says "Network is not connected. Check Network Settings to use Internet Services (Error_Model_Bind)". The error message comes up for 5 seconds, and reappears every few minutes. Very annoying as you can imagine.
My wireless network is perfectly fine, every other device in the house has access to the internet with no problems. Based on my Google results, people are saying the TV is capable of connecting to the internet but the Samsung Smart Hub services is down and causing this error. I noticed that this be true as the app store does not open and I cannot log in with my Samsung account.
Does anyone know how to get around this problem? How can I disable the Wifi connection in the mean time to avoid the error message? Can I shutdown the Smart Hub all together?

I wish I could help, but I had the same problem. Was it happening tuesday night by any chance?
post #462 of 2881 Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM

Liked: 15
How are black levels on this TV?

I recently got a Vizio E601I-A3 and my biggest gripe is the fact that when the TV is on you can see the whole panel glowing a very very dark grey. Its a lot worse off angle (i know the tv has terrible viewing angles). I'm on the fense of going back to plasma - love the PQ of a LED but want a nice dark panel with somewhat okay viewing angles..

The TV will be mounted with the bottom being 4FT off the ground - 13 feet back - worst seeting position will be 12 feet back @ a 45 degree off center angle.

Are there any reviews out there where they did a comprehensive calibration and posted results like cnet does with their TVs?

Thanks,
M
post #463 of 2881 Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Liked: 13
It is possible for a 7100 to give good, not great, black levels. Unfortunately a lot depends on how good the panel is for the TV you got. ALL LED edge lit panels will have flashlight and cloud problems. The question is how much. Some of the flashlight/cloud problems can be minimized through the picture settings. Also some improvements will be seen as the TV set is aged (about 300 hours for me). My TV is in a bat cave and with settings, age, and LED bias lighting I have gotten rid of most. but not all flashlight and clouding. If you have have a bad panel to begin with then there are no ways of correcting the problems.

In general, LCD viewing angles(horizontal) are only good for about 15 degrees. My own personal rule of thumb for LCD is that everyone has to seated within the width of the TV. I have a 55" so I can only get two seats that are contained within the width(48") of the TV.

With your TV height and viewing requirements you might want to consider a plasma TV over a LCD TV.

I have only come across 2 reviews for the 7100. Neither one had detailed calibration settings available.
post #464 of 2881 Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

I pulled the trigger on one today - should be here wednesday.

I saw one at a local best buy and was pleased with what I saw using some demo material and fiddling with the settings. I even had my trusty tape measure and it had way better viewing angles than the vizio I have. I read the a review on hdtvtest.co.uk and they were reasonably pleased with the set. I wish I could of gotten the ES8000 only because my tv cabinet could accomodate it but it was way out of my price range - 2x that of the 60" es7100.

Can't wait to calibrate the puppy myself.

Best regards,
M
post #465 of 2881 Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM

I recently bought this tv and there has been one thing that has been bugging. Every time I turn the tv on my pioneer vsx 1020 it changes from BD to tv/sat. How do I fix this to where it doesn't change it? It didn't start doing this til I bought this tv.
post #466 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black96Z28 View Post

I recently bought this tv and there has been one thing that has been bugging. Every time I turn the tv on my pioneer vsx 1020 it changes from BD to tv/sat. How do I fix this to where it doesn't change it? It didn't start doing this til I bought this tv.
I'm not an owner, but have had some experience with this. Historically, problems like this are solved by turning off HDMI-CEC (Anynet) in either the TV, the other devices, or both. HDMI-CEC was devised to allow several devices to be controlled by one remote, but it can cause problems like you describe. Make sure you note the setting on each device before you change it in case you want to go back. You may need to turn devices off then back on to make the change stick. Owners, please jump in.
post #467 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Just updated to firmware version 1023 and it totally screwed up my set. The picture went to hell and it was stuck on Dynamic. Called Samsung support and they had be reset the TV to factory defaults and now it seems to working fine again.

If I could only find out where I wrote down the settings that I had frown.gif

Beware of 1023 eek.gif

ELMO, what are your latest settings? Thanks..
post #468 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM

The 1023 release notes said it would improve picture quality - after the factory reset how do the black levels look and uniformity?
post #469 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Same thing happened to my 55" ES6100 series tv, it was stuck on Dynamic and wouldn't let me change picture modes, but luckily a factory reset fixed it now all is well. I hav'nt noticed any improved PQ but this bug that it gave me by sticking to the Dynamic picture mode was the most noticeble change.

Go figure..rolleyes.gif

Samsung needs to get there act together with their firmware updates, they should improve the tv.. not ruin it!
post #470 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I would avoid this update (1023) at all costs !!

After this update was installed I have never seen such a NASTY picture and I thought my set was totally screwed.
I played with my settings after the factory reset but still don't have it as nice as it was.

For the life of me I can't find the paper I wrote my settings on frown.gif

I'm hoping ELMO will chime in with his settings.........
post #471 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse View Post

The 1023 release notes said it would improve picture quality - after the factory reset how do the black levels look and uniformity?

It does NOT improve picture quality at all. Stay away from that update.
post #472 of 2881 Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Which was the best update for PQ then from your perspectives?

Also can you download old firmware updates manually?
post #473 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diishen View Post

Hi guys,

For some reason my set started doing this a couple days ago. I've had the TV for over 3 months (online via wifi) and never saw this message before. I tried going through the network setup again but that did not work. What I ended up doing was unplugging the TV for a few minutes....I have not seen that pop up message since.

Hope that helps!
post #474 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Avoid 1023.

I had an issue with 1080P signals making my screen shake. Called support and they said I had to update the FW...I did warn the person and say there have been reports of this firmware being bad.

He said we need to do this...so I updated firmware. My screen still shakes and the video is HORRIBLE. Now I have to schedule a service call - WTF Samsung! Picture reset does not help - its stuck on Dynamic with horrible video quality - quite a bit of "noise"...looks like high compressed/poor video signals

I also told the tech on the phone to alert someone in Samsung to pull this firmware so others do not download - he said it's most likely just an issue with your TV - "Have a nice day" mad.gif
post #475 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Well I just did a full factory reset on the TV. HD signals look a little better and its no longer stuck on dynamic. Non HD signals still look horrible.

Now I get to spend the rest of the day going through my Samsung BD-E6500 (reset trying to troubleshoot 1080P issue earlier today) and my ES7100 (had to reset due to 1023).

Still stand by my original statement, avoid 1023 - DO NOT UPDATE!
post #476 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse View Post

Also can you download old firmware updates manually?

No. mad.gif
post #477 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well the exact same thing happened to me. I called samsung and also had to reset my TV to get out of Dynamic Mode. Well the TV (after re-programming all day yesterday) looks really great. The update really did improve my picture quality. I think update 1022 screwed the picture quality up a bunch. Only problem I now have (never had it before) is that viewing 1080P @60 FPS I get intermintent picture breakup with vertical jitter as well. I own 2 panasonic blu-ray players that both now exhibit the issue. The good news is that my player lets me view DVD's @ 24 FPS as well as all blu-rays playing at that frame rate. The problem totally disapears when viewing at 24 FPS so I can totally live with the new issue for now. My TV CAL disk runs @ 60FPS and that's when I discovered the problem. I called Samsung support and was told not to do updates unless there is an issue. They couldn't care less if their update site indicates that updates can add new features or correct issues that haven't been discovered yet. They are TOTALLY uneducated in what updates are for and do agree that very poor discriptions about the update are provided. It is very OBVIOUS that their Firmware Engineers are weak at best. I used to be a Test Engineer working for Litton and am very aware on what updates can do if not properly tested first. All weak engineers just fix the issue they ary trying to correct. They don't realize that one simple change can cause other issues. So in the world of software/firmware fix's it requires the engineer to go back and re-test EVERYTHING related to the entire package of the new release. Yeph it costs time and money but if done properly, in the long run, you get a much better quality product without pissing off your customers along the way. In the last two weeks, I have returned two UN40ES6500's (one for poor picture quality). I now have to believe that update 1023 as horrible as it is, it is a step back in the right direction of a better overall picture. I have opened up a case for the 1080P 60HZ issue and should be getting a call by this Tuesday from a Product Specialist. I am glad to see it not just my TV having this new issue as EAnglum is also having 1080P issues. For anybody else with this issue, if you can switch to 24FPS, the problem will disappear most likely since it works for me. For all others, AVOID Versions 1022 and 1023 for now. I will report new information as I get after my call next week from Samsung. Regards to all of the 7000 series owners.
post #478 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM

You're right, I did not have the issue with 1080P @ 24, it was only 1080P @ 60 signals (laptop, blu-ray, Tivo...etc)

The only good thing that came out of 1023 so far is that after the full reset, the vertical jitters have gone away. Not sure if the firmware fixed this or the full reset - before the full reset (after FW update), the jitter was better, but still there. confused.gif
post #479 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Well the exact same thing happened to me. I called samsung and also had to reset my TV to get out of Dynamic Mode. Well the TV (after re-programming all day yesterday) looks really great. The update really did improve my picture quality. I think update 1022 screwed the picture quality up a bunch. Only problem I now have (never had it before) is that viewing 1080P @60 FPS I get intermintent picture breakup with vertical jitter as well. I own 2 panasonic blu-ray players that both now exhibit the issue. The good news is that my player lets me view DVD's @ 24 FPS as well as all blu-rays playing at that frame rate. The problem totally disapears when viewing at 24 FPS so I can totally live with the new issue for now. My TV CAL disk runs @ 60FPS and that's when I discovered the problem. I called Samsung support and was told not to do updates unless there is an issue. They couldn't care less if their update site indicates that updates can add new features or correct issues that haven't been discovered yet. They are TOTALLY uneducated in what updates are for and do agree that very poor discriptions about the update are provided. It is very OBVIOUS that their Firmware Engineers are weak at best. I used to be a Test Engineer working for Litton and am very aware on what updates can do if not properly tested first. All weak engineers just fix the issue they ary trying to correct. They don't realize that one simple change can cause other issues. So in the world of software/firmware fix's it requires the engineer to go back and re-test EVERYTHING related to the entire package of the new release. Yeph it costs time and money but if done properly, in the long run, you get a much better quality product without pissing off your customers along the way. In the last two weeks, I have returned two UN40ES6500's (one for poor picture quality). I now have to believe that update 1023 as horrible as it is, it is a step back in the right direction of a better overall picture. I have opened up a case for the 1080P 60HZ issue and should be getting a call by this Tuesday from a Product Specialist. I am glad to see it not just my TV having this new issue as EAnglum is also having 1080P issues. For anybody else with this issue, if you can switch to 24FPS, the problem will disappear most likely since it works for me. For all others, AVOID Versions 1022 and 1023 for now. I will report new information as I get after my call next week from Samsung. Regards to all of the 7000 series owners.

How did they walk you through resetting out of dynamic mode? Did you just have to do a "factory" reset using the settings menu or was it some kind of funky internal process?

How are black levels and uniformity after the update? Any torch lighting or other screen issues?

I was reading on the UK version of this site that people on real early firmwares had some interesting bleeding and clouding issues that went away with the higher 10XX releases.
post #480 of 2881 Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Full reset (aka factory reset) can be found here:

Menu ---> Support ---> Self Diagnostics ---> Reset
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page