Official Samsung UNXXES7100 Thread. - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Newbie
 
hardmtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardmtl View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, but have been scanning the forum for the past few months.

I recently purchased my UN60ES7100 about two weeks ago. Since then, I did a firmware update upon unboxing, and again on JAN 28 2013 to version 1026.1. All is well with 1026.1 and I have seen some improvement in PQ after updating from the previous (out of box) version.

Today I checked to see if a new firmware update was available and to my disbelief, there was!!!!

I updated to 1027 via the TV: Support>Software Update> Online.... I did not think there would be anything available so fast after Samsung just released an update on Jan 28, 2013.

I se significant PQ improvement, and the TV is starting to look better and better. Most likely due to break-in and the help of the firmware.

OK SO NOW THE QUESTION:

I do not see anything about 1027 on Samsung's website.....and I do not see anything about 1027 on this forum? Can somebody try to update and see if your TV acknowledges 1027 is available?

Thanks~hardmtl

BUMP
hardmtl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Newbie
 
cbrigante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardmtl View Post

BUMP
Just ran the update now. So far so good.
cbrigante2 is offline  
post #1893 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Newbie
 
hardmtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrigante2 View Post

Just ran the update now. So far so good.

So I wonder why Samsung hasn't published anything about this version online?
hardmtl is offline  
post #1894 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
cbrigante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure. It has to be pretty new yet. Maybe a day old tops?
cbrigante2 is offline  
post #1895 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Newbie
 
hardmtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrigante2 View Post

Not sure. It has to be pretty new yet. Maybe a day old tops?

Must be...so strange that they released a version within a week of the previous....thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
hardmtl is offline  
post #1896 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Newbie
 
cbrigante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not a problem. I figure its our turn as the FW guinea pigs for a while since the early growing pains of this set were done by others here.
cbrigante2 is offline  
post #1897 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Member
 
axm438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardmtl View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, but have been scanning the forum for the past few months.

I recently purchased my UN60ES7100 about two weeks ago. Since then, I did a firmware update upon unboxing, and again on JAN 28 2013 to version 1026.1. All is well with 1026.1 and I have seen some improvement in PQ after updating from the previous (out of box) version.

Today I checked to see if a new firmware update was available and to my disbelief, there was!!!!

I updated to 1027 via the TV: Support>Software Update> Online.... I did not think there would be anything available so fast after Samsung just released an update on Jan 28, 2013.

I se significant PQ improvement, and the TV is starting to look better and better. Most likely due to break-in and the help of the firmware.

OK SO NOW THE QUESTION:

I do not see anything about 1027 on Samsung's website.....and I do not see anything about 1027 on this forum? Can somebody try to update and see if your TV acknowledges 1027 is available?

Thanks~hardmtl

Confirmed....just did the update to 1027. Picture quality does seem to be better than before. No issues to report yet.
axm438 is offline  
post #1898 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Member
 
Jaa999Pa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm438 View Post

Confirmed....just did the update to 1027. Picture quality does seem to be better than before. No issues to report yet.

I just upgraded too, but i don't see a bit of difference yet...
Jaa999Pa is offline  
post #1899 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Member
 
chains007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How common is it on these sets to be able to see a bit of light coming out from where the bezel edge meets the screen? I didn't think I had this issue until I was stupid enough to check for it (I hate that I checked for this) - but in the very lower left and right corners I can see a bit of light. It's not noticeable when watching normally, or even when just walking around the set....the only way to see it is to put my head almost right up against the screen and look to the side. Funny thing is that it's on both sides - so at least it's symmetrical smile.gif Anyway, just wondering if this is a common defect with some of these sets. If it's a rare thing - then I would consider changing the set, but if it's common, I could learn to live with it.
chains007 is offline  
post #1900 of 2871 Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Newbie
 
mikgam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Honestly, I leave the Samsung logo light off.

I think the Eco Sensor that is located behind the logo is to blame.

What are your settings for the logo and eco sensor?

Sorry for replying to a 5 day old post, but I've read of the Samsung logo turning itself on when the TV is off, and this was the most recent post about it. I had this happen today for the first time. I came home, and in the split second that I came in and turned on the lights, it looked like the Samsung light was on. But as I turned to look closer at the TV the logo was definitely off. I then flipped the lights on/off a few times, the Samsung light would turn on or off. It didn't seem to matter if the room lights were turning on or off, but about every 5th flip of the lights, the Samsung logo would switch it's state. FWIW, I have a series of CFL lights in recessed canned lights located in front/above the wall mounted TV. This would support the Eco Sensor idea being the cause of the Samsung light turning on at random. Or maybe some other interference related to the CFL is causing it.
mikgam is offline  
post #1901 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
mgh26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I also just did the on line update to Version 1027. I liked 1026 but noticed that the sharpness setting was a bit more sensitive. That really was no big deal but some blu-rays had a little more noise as well that was not present with my earlier firmware. Long story short, Version 1027 is EXCELLENT!!!!! My sharpness setting is back to the old value and the blu-rays all look great like version 1026 provided but without the noise on those that were picky. Even better, I can say that my COX Cable box is now alot less prone to compression artifacts as I viewed all of my favorites. I didn't have to do any re-cal adjustments and all settings remained unlike the 1026 update. I don't think I could be any more happy, well except for that dimming thing and the Logo flicker issue. Neither bother me though. I just display the Logo when the TV is off and it never fails to work properly. Anyways, I highly recommend this update as this is the best picture I've seen so far.
mgh26 is offline  
post #1902 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Senior Member
 
EAnglum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

I have the same complaint. It drives me nuts!!! It still does it even in game mode. It is off in movie mode but the picture is not good for comcast and still has lag for games. This issue is enough to where i may return a near perfect tv. I have until feb 25 and i am still deciding.

I have a samsung d series from 2011 that has the shadow detail setting that turns the dimming off in any mode. Not sure why they removed this for the 2012 es series. Its crazy. I think 2012 was a big cost cutting year for all manufactures. All samsungs mid to high end sets had only 3 hdmi inputs. Their 6 series lacked the clear coat screen of 2011 6 series...

I love this set and the pic quality in standard mode but the full screen dimming makes no sense since it supposedly has micro dimming which is supposed to be local dimming. They might as well call it frame dimming like sony did on the hx750. Def not happy!


try this.

bump your brightness to 52/53
Adjust your WB offsets down to a range of around 17 for all 3 (RGB).

By doing this, you will greatly reduce the CE dimming on these sets.

EDIT - I now see 1027 is out....Hmmmmm. That seems a bit odd to have two FW releases that close. I wonder if there was some issue with 1026 that most of us have not discovered yet and Samsung wanted to fix it ASAP. Ugh....guess I'm doing one more FW update. On a good note, the network issue has not returned - must have been a fluke?
EAnglum is offline  
post #1903 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Newbie
 
cbrigante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAnglum View Post

try this.

bump your brightness to 52/53
Adjust your WB offsets down to a range of around 17 for all 3 (RGB).

By doing this, you will greatly reduce the CE dimming on these sets.

EDIT - I now see 1027 is out....Hmmmmm. That seems a bit odd to have two FW releases that close. I wonder if there was some issue with 1026 that most of us have not discovered yet and Samsung wanted to fix it ASAP. Ugh....guess I'm doing one more FW update. On a good note, the network issue has not returned - must have been a fluke?
Did you catch my fix for the network issue about a page back?
cbrigante2 is offline  
post #1904 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Newbie
 
kparonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chains007 View Post

thanks for the reply. What happens to the HDMI audio that is already coming from my cable box for that input? I just want audio from the optical cable for Smart Hub apps - but audio from the cable box for watching TV. Is that possible?

I just ran into this issue as well as the Samsung's anynet and ARC functionality doesn't work well with my Denon AVR (2311ci). Here's where I ended up with my set up. Bottom line is that my audio for Smart Hub apps goes optically to the TV source on my AVR and my Fios signal goes to my SAT/CBL source on my AVR. I need to physically change the source on the AVR when switching between the two.

The issue cropped up when I replaced a Sony tv with the 7150. Anynet seems to be tied to ARC functionality and Anynet was forcing a source switch to TV on the Denon 10 seconds after powering up. I didn't experience this issue with the Sony tv

My solution after playing around with various ideas and connections is to abandon Anynet and ARC altogether. I have FIOS and currently use that to watch content 95% of the time.

- I have my Fios remote programmed to turn on the Fios box, Denon and Samsung with one button press.
- I have my Fios remote set to always and only control the Denon volume. All audio regardless of the source will run through my Denon
- On the Samsung Anynet is turned OFF
- On the Samsung Sound is set to External Speaker
- On the Denon HDMI Control is set to OFF
- On the Denon TV Source is set to Opt 1

My set up is this...

OUT <==========>IN
Fios <== HDMI===>Denon
Blu Ray <==HDMI==> Denon
Wii <==RCA==> Denon
Denon <==HDMI==> Samsung (one HDMI out caries all 3 video signals to Samsung... FIOS, Blu Ray and Wii)
Samsung <==optical audio==> Denon (replaces ARC functionality to get sound to Denon from anything streamed from TV)

I lose the automatic functionality of Anynet (CEC) and ARC but I am not annoyed by having the source switched every time I power up. Yes I need to do extra work to play a Blu Ray or Wii by having to change the Denon source myself but all video is HDMI through Denon to Samsung and I just have the one extra optical for audio back from Samsung to Denon for Streaming (or when I have a PC or camcorder connected to the TV). And the biggest thing for my family is they only need to use one remote, the Fios remote, to turn everything on and watch TV with one button press.

For me this is the best I can do right now as the automatic source switching would not fly with my family. Hopefully Samsung with add flexibility into a future firmware release to make Anynet more configurable.
kparonso is offline  
post #1905 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
andyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kparonso View Post

I just ran into this issue as well as the Samsung's anynet and ARC functionality doesn't work well with my Denon AVR (2311ci). Here's where I ended up with my set up. Bottom line is that my audio for Smart Hub apps goes optically to the TV source on my AVR and my Fios signal goes to my SAT/CBL source on my AVR. I need to physically change the source on the AVR when switching between the two.

The issue cropped up when I replaced a Sony tv with the 7150. Anynet seems to be tied to ARC functionality and Anynet was forcing a source switch to TV on the Denon 10 seconds after powering up. I didn't experience this issue with the Sony tv

My solution after playing around with various ideas and connections is to abandon Anynet and ARC altogether. I have FIOS and currently use that to watch content 95% of the time.

- I have my Fios remote programmed to turn on the Fios box, Denon and Samsung with one button press.
- I have my Fios remote set to always and only control the Denon volume. All audio regardless of the source will run through my Denon
- On the Samsung Anynet is turned OFF
- On the Samsung Sound is set to External Speaker
- On the Denon HDMI Control is set to OFF
- On the Denon TV Source is set to Opt 1

My set up is this...

OUT <==========>IN
Fios <== HDMI===>Denon
Blu Ray <==HDMI==> Denon
Wii <==RCA==> Denon
Denon <==HDMI==> Samsung (one HDMI out caries all 3 video signals to Samsung... FIOS, Blu Ray and Wii)
Samsung <==optical audio==> Denon (replaces ARC functionality to get sound to Denon from anything streamed from TV)

I lose the automatic functionality of Anynet (CEC) and ARC but I am not annoyed by having the source switched every time I power up. Yes I need to do extra work to play a Blu Ray or Wii by having to change the Denon source myself but all video is HDMI through Denon to Samsung and I just have the one extra optical for audio back from Samsung to Denon for Streaming (or when I have a PC or camcorder connected to the TV). And the biggest thing for my family is they only need to use one remote, the Fios remote, to turn everything on and watch TV with one button press.

For me this is the best I can do right now as the automatic source switching would not fly with my family. Hopefully Samsung with add flexibility into a future firmware release to make Anynet more configurable.
Sorry to ask, but couldn't you connect all of your HDMI cables to your TV and use the optical out on the TV and connect to your AVR? I have mine set that way and all of the audio (from any source including SmartHub) is played through my AVR.
Maybe I'm confused what ARC is suppose to do.
andyboy is offline  
post #1906 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Newbie
 
Banditione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had posted a question some time ago and just never got the answer for it. I wanted to confirm if during 3d mode being active, I have noticed that the brightness gets dimmed a bit more then my preset settings. I noticed it when I press the info button and i see the energy consumption level lower. Is this normal to happen or not? Thanks.
Banditione is offline  
post #1907 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Member
 
chains007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kparonso View Post

I just ran into this issue as well as the Samsung's anynet and ARC functionality doesn't work well with my Denon AVR (2311ci). Here's where I ended up with my set up. Bottom line is that my audio for Smart Hub apps goes optically to the TV source on my AVR and my Fios signal goes to my SAT/CBL source on my AVR. I need to physically change the source on the AVR when switching between the two.

The issue cropped up when I replaced a Sony tv with the 7150. Anynet seems to be tied to ARC functionality and Anynet was forcing a source switch to TV on the Denon 10 seconds after powering up. I didn't experience this issue with the Sony tv

My solution after playing around with various ideas and connections is to abandon Anynet and ARC altogether. I have FIOS and currently use that to watch content 95% of the time.

- I have my Fios remote programmed to turn on the Fios box, Denon and Samsung with one button press.
- I have my Fios remote set to always and only control the Denon volume. All audio regardless of the source will run through my Denon
- On the Samsung Anynet is turned OFF
- On the Samsung Sound is set to External Speaker
- On the Denon HDMI Control is set to OFF
- On the Denon TV Source is set to Opt 1

My set up is this...

OUT <==========>IN
Fios <== HDMI===>Denon
Blu Ray <==HDMI==> Denon
Wii <==RCA==> Denon
Denon <==HDMI==> Samsung (one HDMI out caries all 3 video signals to Samsung... FIOS, Blu Ray and Wii)
Samsung <==optical audio==> Denon (replaces ARC functionality to get sound to Denon from anything streamed from TV)

I lose the automatic functionality of Anynet (CEC) and ARC but I am not annoyed by having the source switched every time I power up. Yes I need to do extra work to play a Blu Ray or Wii by having to change the Denon source myself but all video is HDMI through Denon to Samsung and I just have the one extra optical for audio back from Samsung to Denon for Streaming (or when I have a PC or camcorder connected to the TV). And the biggest thing for my family is they only need to use one remote, the Fios remote, to turn everything on and watch TV with one button press.

For me this is the best I can do right now as the automatic source switching would not fly with my family. Hopefully Samsung with add flexibility into a future firmware release to make Anynet more configurable.

Thanks for explaining your setup. So to confirm - your set up requires you to switch the source on the AVR when you want to hear sound from SmartHub app correct? I wanted to do that, but the problem I'm facing is that when I switch to the new source (let's call it TV), i lose the video signal completely because my AVR isn't sending the TV anything from the TV source (since FioS is connected to another source). I'm sure I'm missing something basic here...thanks for your advice.
chains007 is offline  
post #1908 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
scJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyboy View Post

Sorry to ask, but couldn't you connect all of your HDMI cables to your TV and use the optical out on the TV and connect to your AVR? I have mine set that way and all of the audio (from any source including SmartHub) is played through my AVR.
Maybe I'm confused what ARC is suppose to do.

The sole purpose of ARC is to do away with the need for an optical cable.

One can plug all inputs to the TV but you must remember that optical out and ARC(????) will not act as a "pass thru" for the audio codec. Optical will only support up to DD 5.1. Any higher audio codec (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA) will be down converted to 2 channel stereo or DD 5.1. Therefore one does not want to attach your BD player directly to the TV.
scJohn is offline  
post #1909 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
andyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

The sole purpose of ARC is to do away with the need for an optical cable.

One can plug all inputs to the TV but you must remember that optical out and ARC(????) will not act as a "pass thru" for the audio codec. Optical will only support up to DD 5.1. Any higher audio codec (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA) will be down converted to 2 channel stereo or DD 5.1. Therefore one does really want to attach your BD player directly to the TV.
Ahh, thanks! Good thing my AV receiver doesn't support D-TureHD or DTS-MA. eek.gif
andyboy is offline  
post #1910 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm438 View Post

Confirmed....just did the update to 1027. Picture quality does seem to be better than before. No issues to report yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa999Pa View Post

I just upgraded too, but i don't see a bit of difference yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I also just did the on line update to Version 1027. I liked 1026 but noticed that the sharpness setting was a bit more sensitive. That really was no big deal but some blu-rays had a little more noise as well that was not present with my earlier firmware. Long story short, Version 1027 is EXCELLENT!!!!! My sharpness setting is back to the old value and the blu-rays all look great like version 1026 provided but without the noise on those that were picky. Even better, I can say that my COX Cable box is now alot less prone to compression artifacts as I viewed all of my favorites. I didn't have to do any re-cal adjustments and all settings remained unlike the 1026 update. I don't think I could be any more happy, well except for that dimming thing and the Logo flicker issue. Neither bother me though. I just display the Logo when the TV is off and it never fails to work properly. Anyways, I highly recommend this update as this is the best picture I've seen so far.

I'm interested in the update..but I'm confused...

Why is FW 1027 necessary? FW 1026 came out on 1-28 without (known) issue.
PiratesCove is offline  
post #1911 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Member
 
Jaa999Pa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

The sole purpose of ARC is to do away with the need for an optical cable.

One can plug all inputs to the TV but you must remember that optical out and ARC(????) will not act as a "pass thru" for the audio codec. Optical will only support up to DD 5.1. Any higher audio codec (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA) will be down converted to 2 channel stereo or DD 5.1. Therefore one does really want to attach your BD player directly to the TV.

I have a Denon AVR-3312ci receiver along with a Denon DBP-2012UDCI Blu-Ray player. I also have Tivo through my cable provider, and i have everything running through my AVR, then out to the TV from the ARC HDMI of my AVR. Are you saying my BD should go directly to my TV? I was told to put everything through my AVR.
Jaa999Pa is offline  
post #1912 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Newbie
 
diishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

I have the same complaint. It drives me nuts!!! It still does it even in game mode. It is off in movie mode but the picture is not good for comcast and still has lag for games. This issue is enough to where i may return a near perfect tv. I have until feb 25 and i am still deciding.

I have a samsung d series from 2011 that has the shadow detail setting that turns the dimming off in any mode. Not sure why they removed this for the 2012 es series. Its crazy. I think 2012 was a big cost cutting year for all manufactures. All samsungs mid to high end sets had only 3 hdmi inputs. Their 6 series lacked the clear coat screen of 2011 6 series...

I love this set and the pic quality in standard mode but the full screen dimming makes no sense since it supposedly has micro dimming which is supposed to be local dimming. They might as well call it frame dimming like sony did on the hx750. Def not happy!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. Thanks for letting me know about movie mode. It doesn't make sense how the dimming does not happen only in this mode. As for lag in movie mode, I haven't really noticed any (playing DmC) so I suppose this is good enough of a workaround for now. Hopefully Samsung will fix this. If anyone has other workarounds, please do share!!
diishen is offline  
post #1913 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Catt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by diishen View Post

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. Thanks for letting me know about movie mode. It doesn't make sense how the dimming does not happen only in this mode. As for lag in movie mode, I haven't really noticed any (playing DmC) so I suppose this is good enough of a workaround for now. Hopefully Samsung will fix this. If anyone has other workarounds, please do share!!

Check out the ES8000 thread and find a post by Garnoch (he posts regularly). In his signature on each post is a link to his settings. You can see how he implemented the so-called "CE Dimming Fix" originally brought to this forum's attention by a user named prsut. Essentailly involves upping brightness and lowering some offsets to reproduce the same or very nearly similar image, but effectively defeating the CE Dimming that is otherwise not user adjustable. Also in his signature is a link to common terms and configuration issues with these ES sets which I believe includes the original thread started by prsut (or you could do a forum search for prsut's thread). Also, I think I provided the link to prsut's thread directly in this thread not too long ago.
Catt99 is offline  
post #1914 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I updated to FW 1027 - seems identical Picture Quality-wise.

The Smart Hub and Web Browser is waaaaaay faster though.

I doubt I'll do the picture setting reset this time.
PiratesCove is offline  
post #1915 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Johnny Angell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa999Pa View Post

I have a Denon AVR-3312ci receiver along with a Denon DBP-2012UDCI Blu-Ray player. I also have Tivo through my cable provider, and i have everything running through my AVR, then out to the TV from the ARC HDMI of my AVR. Are you saying my BD should go directly to my TV? I was told to put everything through my AVR.
I have my BD going to my receiver and TV. It goes to the TV because my receiver doesn't support 3D. It goes to the receiver to feed the sound system. If the receiver supported 3D, I don't know why I would want to connect the BD directly to the TV.
Jaa999Pa likes this.
Johnny Angell is offline  
post #1916 of 2871 Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Danediz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey pirate do you have any standard settings you have tried/use/like
Danediz is offline  
post #1917 of 2871 Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Member
 
gunsmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mansfield, MA
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I updated to FW 1027 - seems identical Picture Quality-wise.

The Smart Hub and Web Browser is waaaaaay faster though.

I doubt I'll do the picture setting reset this time.

It just starts in the background the hub and the browser or maybe the last app you used. If you go straight to the hub right after you turn the TV on, it's not any faster than before. A nice improvement, can't deny that.
gunsmoker is offline  
post #1918 of 2871 Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
andyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1027 update definitely made SmartHub faster! I don't have to wait a few seconds when scrolling through apps. I wouldn't say this improve the picture.
andyboy is offline  
post #1919 of 2871 Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Hey pirate do you have any standard settings you have tried/use/like

I use Movie Mode for DirecTV and Blu-rays.

I only use Standard for Xbox360 - the Standard settings are modified from my Movie settings.

My Settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414638/official-samsung-unxxes7100-thread/1320#post_22789840
PiratesCove is offline  
post #1920 of 2871 Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Member
 
kevreh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Couple questions about this LCD. I currently have the 6900 from best buy (bought it last week). Thinking of upgrading to the 7100 because of the clear panel. Picture seems to look richer, more contrasty. With my 6900 off-axis viewing is pretty bad compared to a plasma (common knowledge). What I'm wondering, is will there be a noticeable improvement of the 7100 over the 6900, when one is ~30 degrees off angle? The info page on samsungs site suggest there will be an improvement.

Kevin
kevreh is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off