Official Samsung UNXXES7100 Thread. - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm not sure why you are asking what speakers I am using.......The settings I mentioned work for the TV's internal speakers. I did asume you were also listening to the TV with it's internal speakers since the TV volume control does not affect the audio output level to a receiver. Anyways your 5.1 sound system will most liklely work OK even if the audio output to the TV's internal speakers is bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO45 View Post

Any idea why it requires a picture reset and won't just apply the updates to current settings?
Id like to know the answer to this also. I really dont want to input all of my settings every time there is a FW update.
post #1983 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMO45 View Post

Any idea why it requires a picture reset and won't just apply the updates to current settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post

Id like to know the answer to this also. I really dont want to input all of my settings every time there is a FW update.

Some owners have their HDTV pro. calibrated they Do Not want their picture to change with a firmware update.

Samsung understands this so...you get to decide if you want to change and re-adjust your settings.

No, you do not have to do a picture reset or re-input all your settings, especially if you like your current picture quality.
Jagoex likes this.
post #1984 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM

How can I take advantage of the newest firmware if I dont try it which would require a reset? Seems like Samsung would give us the option to save our settings and revert back after a reset if we dont like the newest FW. Just my .02
post #1985 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM

It seems that since the old software is deleted during the update, the new firmware settings do come into play without a reset. I did see a change when I installed Ver 1026 as well as 1027 directly after the update. Many others especially in the 8000 thred had indicated that they required a re-calibration to get their set back to their personel viewing choice after doing a Firmware update. In my case, I saw a picture sharpness change occure that required me to lower the value in 1026 due to a sharper picture. When 1027 was installed , the setting for my personel taste had to be adjusted again and afterwards was close to where it was before 1026. Some said they saw no change with 1026 until after a soft picture reset /re-cal but mabye they set their sharpness so low, (close to 0) it was not noticeable. In any case, it seemed to me these updates do cause changes and could throw a proper calibration off a bit. So If you ahave paid for a calibration, you might think twice before doing any new updates to the Firmware.
Jagoex likes this.
post #1986 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm using nitra's settings for my standard setting. Are there different settings to be used for the other settings.(dynamic and natural)
post #1987 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

I'm using nitra's settings for my standard setting. Are there different settings to be used for the other settings.(dynamic and natural)

My settings are primarly for Movie mode.

I do have modifications for Natural, Standard and Dynamic listed at the bottom:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414638/official-samsung-unxxes7100-thread/1950#post_22943484
post #1988 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
I bought myself the 55in model and have my HTPC connected to it. I have an i5-3750k in it using the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000. I am trying to get ready to calibrate my tv but I am not sure how to proceed since I can change settings on both the PC and the TV. Doing some search, one thing that comes up a lot is RGB and YCbCr. I will not be playing any games on my PC. It is strictly for Windows Media Center, Netflix, and Windows Media Player so basically just video. I will use it for web browsing but I do not care how the quality looks for that. My main concern is making video look the best possible.

How should I preceed in calibrating my tv? The first thing I want to find out is if the the TV supports full or limited RGB so that I can set the setting the same on my Intel graphics. After that, should I leave everything on the graphics card as it and do my calibration on the TV? Some of the graphics card options lets me set settings by either driver or application. I assume that I should set everything by driver so that it is always the same setting?

I see that the tv has "expert patterns" to help calibrate the tv but I have no idea how to use that. I also have the Avia calibration DVD so should I use that instead?

Any other helpful advice?
post #1989 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I'm not sure why you are asking what speakers I am using.......The settings I mentioned work for the TV's internal speakers. I did asume you were also listening to the TV with it's internal speakers since the TV volume control does not affect the audio output level to a receiver. Anyways your 5.1 sound system will most liklely work OK even if the audio output to the TV's internal speakers is bad.

You know, I have no idea why I asked that. What I was HOPING to gain insight on is what volume level you use when viewing a Blu-ray disc that supports 5.1 audio.

Also, I wonder if anyone knows where to find the older firmwares incase we want to flash back? Before I decide on a return/exchange, I want to make sure that my issue isn't the result of a recent firmware fix that was engaged after cutting off the power to my tv.
post #1990 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Jagoex... You can not flash back the Firmware to a previous version due to the TV's limited and intentional (costs less to manufacture) design. As far as a volume setting for a 5.1 sound system, since I do not have one in my current apartment with community sound restrictions, I usually just use the TV's internal speakers. I do have a "killler Amp/Tower Speaker's" although older and only Stereo which I do use when viewing my movies. Also my Blu-ray player is set to output only stereo surround sound to match the limited TV's internal sound system. In this sound configuration, my average listening level is around 25-30 Max. Mabye sombody else can answer your question for 5.1 sound.
Jagoex likes this.
post #1991 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Settings Updated for FW 1026 and 1027.

Movie Mode same as before, changes to Standard, Natural, Dynamic and 3D.

Samsung ES7100 Settings 2.0

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 20
Color: 47
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit/16:9
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: -1
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 4, Green 48, Blue 4
Blue: Red 2, Green 6, Blue 46
Yellow: Red 52, Green 50, Blue 4
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 51
Magenta: Red 40, Green 6, Blue 44

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 26
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 26
B-Gain: 27

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +2, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 4: Red +2, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 6: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +3
Interval 7: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +3
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +3
Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +3

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm1
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out] Normal-Xbox360 with HDMI Color Space: RGB and Reference Level: Expanded
Film mode: Off/Auto 1-DirecTV
Auto Motion Plus: Off/Clear/ Custom
LED Motion Plus: On

Auto Motion Plus submenu:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0

3D - same as Movie except Backlight: 20 for all Picture Modes, Color: 44 for Standard and Dynamic,Color tone: Standard (Dynamic Only).

Dynamic - same as Movie except: Color: 40, Color tone: Standard, no Advanced settings

Natural – same as Movie except: Color: 40, no Advanced settings

Standard – same as Movie except, Color: 44, Color Space: Auto, no -10p White Balance

System> Eco Solution> Eco Sensor> On -Min. Backlight: 8 / Off

Nice...Again..biggrin.gif

Really liking these settings. Ill stick with these for now. Good work.
post #1992 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM

What is the best audio settings for the 7100? I currently have sound on movie mode. Yes I have a sound bar but don't use it all the time. Any suggestions?
post #1993 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Jagoex... You can not flash back the Firmware to a previous version due to the TV's limited and intentional (costs less to manufacture) design. As far as a volume setting for a 5.1 sound system, since I do not have one in my current apartment with community sound restrictions, I usually just use the TV's internal speakers. I do have a "killler Amp/Tower Speaker's" although older and only Stereo which I do use when viewing my movies. Also my Blu-ray player is set to output only stereo surround sound to match the limited TV's internal sound system. In this sound configuration, my average listening level is around 25-30 Max. Mabye sombody else can answer your question for 5.1 sound.

I think you just answered my question for me. I have my Blu-ray player set up for stereo sound as well. When viewing a movie that only supports 5.1 audio, I have to turn up the volume to a minimum of 50-60 and 80 if I want it comfortably loud. Before disconnecting the power, it would only take half that level to reach the appropriate level of volume.

This is all in "Standard" audio mode.
post #1994 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM

I run my Blu Ray to true 5.1 through a Pioneer receiver. I think my normal volume setting for movies is around 21 on the display, but if that was in an apartment that would get you a compliant for sure! I'd suggest some 5.1 surround headphones if sound is an issue.
post #1995 of 2879 Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

My settings are primarly for Movie mode.

I do have modifications for Natural, Standard and Dynamic listed at the bottom:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414638/official-samsung-unxxes7100-thread/1950#post_22943484
Thanks pirate, I'm going to try your settings for my other picture modes. I'm to lazy right now to use my WOW disc at the moment. Out of curiosity, how do you and others come up with these settings? Is it trial and error, calibration disc, or professional calibration?
post #1996 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

It seems that since the old software is deleted during the update, the new firmware settings do come into play without a reset. I did see a change when I installed Ver 1026 as well as 1027 directly after the update. Many others especially in the 8000 thred had indicated that they required a re-calibration to get their set back to their personel viewing choice after doing a Firmware update. In my case, I saw a picture sharpness change occure that required me to lower the value in 1026 due to a sharper picture. When 1027 was installed , the setting for my personel taste had to be adjusted again and afterwards was close to where it was before 1026. Some said they saw no change with 1026 until after a soft picture reset /re-cal but mabye they set their sharpness so low, (close to 0) it was not noticeable. In any case, it seemed to me these updates do cause changes and could throw a proper calibration off a bit. So If you ahave paid for a calibration, you might think twice before doing any new updates to the Firmware.

I did not notice any change in the PQ after I updated the FW. I then reset the picture settings and I noticed that it got darker and I had to bump up the brightness by 3 points.
As far as my settings, I used the patterns from http://www.xyhd.tv/2007/10/how-to/calibrate-your-hdtv-with-free-test-patterns-with-sexy-girls/ which are very helpful to get the flesh tone right.
I'm of the opinion that the TVs come from the factory fairly well calibrated, but because different people are looking for different things and because of the different source qualities there are gazillion knobs and very often a very minor tweak leaving most settings at the defaults can make a big difference if you know what you are doing. Here are my settings for the 60" panel.
Mode: Standard
Differences from the default settings:
Brightness: 47
Color: 40
Color space: auto
Eco Sensor> On -Min. Backlight: 7
LED Motion Plus: off

Here is how I arrived at those settings.
The backlight has to do with how much brightness my eyes can tolerate. The minimum backlight I figured after turning the lights off and bumping it until the picture quality was not affected.
I left the contrast at 100 since the LCD panels are not known for good inherent contrast and because with my backlight setting the patterns did not suggest a need for that..
The brightness really needs to be at 50 according to the patterns. The problem is that on TV sources there is noise in the blacks that I don't want to see. There is a great pattern with a positive and a negative image of a girl where by adjusting the brightness you need to see the exact same level of detail in both pictures (creases of the girl's shirt). I used that setting for blu-ray as well.
The color saturation is where I needed to make the biggest change. You can see in a couple of the patterns that the color scales get saturated with the default color setting. To get the full color scales that setting needs to be around 38. I set it a bit higher since the flesh tone would otherwise go into zombie territory.
I changed color space to auto because the default made the flesh tone of some of the girls too pinkish. I chose the warm1 color tone since the default would cause the flesh to be on the pink side and warm2 would push it to the yellow side. Also the white is far from white with warm2.
About the motion interpolation. I think this is great on this TV compared to my previous Philips. In my experience this is best adjusted with a game. If you get to a nice scenery in Skyrim and quickly turn around, you would see horrible judder if the interpolation is turned off - trees, rocks and castles skipping and flickering. I kept bumping the setting up until I yielded a response smooth enough, which happened to be at the default setting. Pushing it for this type of setting means usually creating artifacts and noise that are not there so I didn't go to the Smooth mode.

I hope such a simple approach to the setup problem can be helpful to most people that don't dare mess with the white balance and other advanced settings. The above suggests that the best settings according to the patterns do not necessarily yield the most pleasing picture. Another important thing is that you need to leave the TV on for some time before you start messing with the settings to give it a chance to properly warm up.
Jaa999Pa and Jagoex like this.
post #1997 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparonso View Post

I think I may know your issue.

When you say your source for TV is DVR I assume you are saying that your HDMI connection from your TIVO is going to the DVR input on your AVR correct?

I believe with ARC the Samsung returns the audio signal to the AVR under the "TV" source (don't read that to mean your DVR source for TV watching, I'm talking about the AVR source called TV). So I think all you need to do is to go from the DVR source (your Tivo connection) to the TV source. Make sure that in the TV source input assignments are all auto. I thought when I had this set up that Anynet automatically changed the source to TV for audio playback for Smart Hub but not 100% sure. It could be that your Harmony remote is doing something to override that.

Bottom line is if you are in Smart Hub and your Denon is still set to the DVR source you're not going to hear Smart Hub sound.

To rule out a Pandora issue, just go into the You Tube app and play any video and see if you get sound.

I switched the HDMI from DVR to SAT/CAB and Pandora now works! You're also correct that when i go into the Hub, the source switches to TV on my Denon.
Thanks again for all of your help!
post #1998 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM

So does anybody REALLY KNOW how firmware updates affect our TV's? It seems that some don't see a change without a reset and others have noticed picture changes right after the update. I wonder if the TV just gets reinitialized upon a power down/power up after the latest firmware has been installed now affecting the picture without a reset. I'm just not sure at all. It seems that Ver 1026 caused several settings to be back at default directly after installing (no power off/on) which obviously affects the existing calibration. I saw a different result with Ver 1027. No values changed back to default after doing this update and all settings remained in tact. This variation may be due to a different support engineer working on the update who has a different way to provide updates (probably not) or mabye some updates are very minor and do not require the software to be reset to default during the update. Another question I have is does the firmware just write over the top of the last release or does it erase the existing version first and then install the latest version? This may cause the way the firmware behaves after the update. I would really love to know the Facts!!!
post #1999 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

Thanks pirate, I'm going to try your settings for my other picture modes. I'm to lazy right now to use my WOW disc at the moment. Out of curiosity, how do you and others come up with these settings? Is it trial and error, calibration disc, or professional calibration?

My settings are based on CNET's for the ES8000.

I tweaked them based on experience and obvious visual errors.

Example: Natural and Dynamic Color at 40, other wise glowing faces on CNN...

I've used THX...for ideas- but eventually its better to go what what looks best to you.
post #2000 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post

Really liking these settings. Ill stick with these for now. Good work.

Glad you like 'em, the picture Pops...yet looks very Pure/Natural. cool.gif
post #2001 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

Differences from the default settings:
Brightness: 47
Color: 40
Color space: auto
Eco Sensor> On -Min. Backlight: 7
LED Motion Plus: off

I left the contrast at 100

+1, I like Movie Mode better, but my Standard settings are close.

Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 20
Color: 44
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit/16:9
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance:[grayed out]
Gamma: -1
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 26
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 26
B-Gain: 27

Picture options submenu
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out] Normal-Xbox360 with HDMI Color Space: RGB and Reference Level: Expanded
Film mode: Off/Auto 1-DirecTV
Auto Motion Plus: Off/Clear/ Custom
LED Motion Plus: On

Auto Motion Plus submenu:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0

System> Eco Solution> Eco Sensor> On -Min. Backlight: 8 / Off
post #2002 of 2879 Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkit14 View Post

What is the best audio settings for the 7100? I currently have sound on movie mode. Yes I have a sound bar but don't use it all the time. Any suggestions?

I use Movie Mode too for TV speaker sound.

I have the Samsung HT-BD2T 7.2 Home Theater System for sound...

With 2 Powered Sub Woofers.....biggrin.gif
post #2003 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM

I have a 46es7100, and having problems using Netflix. The TV connects to my wifi without issues, the problem its that Netflix is extremely quiet and for the first 30 seconds to a minute after starting a show, the remote doesn't work.
I also have a blue ray player that has Netflix, it doesn't have Amy problems using Netflix.

As far as i know it has the latest updates. Amy ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks, Kurt
post #2004 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM

I noticed same problem with remote this past Sunday. I have the 60 inch. Remote wouldn't even work volume. I kept messing with it until it worked but it kept going in and out.
post #2005 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 13
I'm liking my Standard mode more and more. Both Bluray and online streaming look gorgeous. The black level won't match a good plasma but no flickering and no rainbow are big wins for me. I used WOW to adjust contrast, brigtness, color and tint to my room. Color and tints are very accurate out of the box. In the movie mode, I cannot adjust the contrast to full white (Like the right two bars barely indistinguishable). All the other modes I can do that. My contrasts are between 96 and 100.

The indoor light will change the perception of black level. The brighter the environment, the blacker the screen would go. The clouding would be less an issue although there will be more reflections from the screen.

Somehow I think the 1027 firmware has a better picture quality. The out of the box performance of 1026 is horrible. The image is not smooth. It could be the Sharpness was way too high in the default setting. I spent the first week tweaking and was thinking to return the TV. Now, not sure if it's 1027 or the Sharpness alone, but the PQ is great and I don't think I need to worry about packaging and setting up another TV.

Viewing angle is bad. But interestingly that it is difficult to check the viewing angles in the store b/c the light is too bright. I first checked the TV in the store before buying the TV and I found no issue of viewing angles. After taking it home, that's definitely one weakness of this model. Clouding is there but only noticable when the screen is mostly black (Like the ending credit in a movie). Again, comparing to flickering and rainbow of Plasma, I'm much happier with this set.
Jaa999Pa likes this.
post #2006 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM

I am also seeing the TV being unresponsive when playing Netflix. It's not just the volume, but any TV function. even the power button does not work (or works very intermittently). Additionally, when I was watching the movie "Red Lights" it seemed that the tv started freaking out and wasn't able to handle the picture towards the end. All dark scenes had horrible shadow problems and when the credits came, there were faint flashing white lines in the black area to the left of the white characters of the credits. The next day I went back to the credits of the movie to see if this problem repeated itself but it did not. This is pretty concerning that the TV can't get through a streaming movie. Has anyone else noticed this? I see it as a major problem for such an expensive tv and am considering returning it for the Sony 750 series. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
post #2007 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

I went to Samsung and chatted online, they told me to go to Smart Hub, tools, reset use 0,0,0,0 if you haven't set it. This should reset the Smart Hub to factory settings again. Something to try, I'll try it when I get home.
post #2008 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Concerning remote during Netflix. My remote lost all function too. Power, volume, etc. it came back intermediately also. No problems when I used DVD blu ray for Netflix. Be curious to see what the solution is.
post #2009 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

In any case, it seemed to me these updates do cause changes and could throw a proper calibration off a bit. So If you ahave paid for a calibration, you might think twice before doing any new updates to the Firmware.

I don't think you would need to worry about firmware changing your calibration too much as I think the way pro calibration works is they do some service menu adjustments, i.e. setting picture using cal day and cal night. So unless Samsung is changing the actual formula's behind the settings, i.e. a change of 1 on the menu = x% of change to the picture then I don't think it would mess stuff that much.

But I could be wrong.
post #2010 of 2879 Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Strangely, by accident I found another way to improve Picture Quality.

I noticed an artifact in a Blu-ray and played with Picture Size and Screen Fit's Position.

I moved the Position and had to reset to defalt...strangely the black levels and overally screen uniformity was better.

Maybe this reset of Screen Fit - Position positively altered the HDTV's pixel mapping processing.

Honestly the Picture has never looked better as I tried this on 2 of the 3 HDMI imputs.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page