Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2871 Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

This is not 100% proven, but the consensus is that Samsung made panels are better.

I have the US02 panel.

US02 is a Samsung panel its classified as "A" meaning Samsung in the service menu (DON'T GO into the SERVICE MENU).

Example: Version US02. The Service Menu shows 46A2UF0E

46 (panel size)
A panel manufacturer (A = Samsung; D = Chi Mei ; L = AU Optronics )
2 frequency (6 = 50/60 Hz; 1 = 100/120 Hz; 2 = 200/240 Hz)
U panel (A = AntiGlare; T = TN; U = Ultra Clear)
F resolution (F = Full HD; H = HD; U = UD)
0 1st, 2nd panel and so on (1st = 0; 2nd = 1 ...)
E backlight unit (C = CCFL; L = LED; E = Edge LED)

Version "A" panels: AU Optronics.
Version "S" panels: Samsung.
Version "C" panels: Chi Mei.
Version "HS" panels: 60 inches - Sharp.
Version "TH" panels: Samsung.
Version "TS" panels: Samsung.
Version "US" panels: Samsung.

US0x or TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel.- Best

HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: -Very Good

A_0X: AU Otronics A-MVA panel: - Good

CH0x or CM0x or CS0x: Chi Mei S-MVA panel: - O.K.

Panel Types are listed on the both sides of the HDTV Box (in store).

Great, now I have to spend the next 48 hours until it gets here worrying about all of those panel combinations. eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2871 Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

No, I'm still on 1027...I really don't use the Smart Hub - so unless new firmware shows improvement in PQ, I'm staying.

10k's settings- I guess you also follow the ES8000 thread like me.....

Yup. It's a very active thread, especially on calibrating. I haven't upgraded either. Thanks PC.
post #2253 of 2871 Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkane View Post

uclabruinn - Pac 12 South champs AND Pac 12 regular season champs! Good stuff. I am assuming you are a sports fan. I am a HUGE UCLA fan, borderline obsessive.

Yeah. Pulled it off. Thank you Utah :-) Huge fan as well and alum. Hoping they ho deep in the tourney. Go Bruins!
post #2254 of 2871 Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkane View Post

Great, now I have to spend the next 48 hours until it gets here worrying about all of those panel combinations. eek.gif

Not really...there is a 90% chance you'll get a US02-from what I've seen over the last couple of months.
post #2255 of 2871 Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

To be honest I thought 1027 was darker than the previous at first and I changed the brightness from 45 to 47. I gradually went back to 45 over the following days. It could have been that the TV hadn't warmed up when I updated the firmware.
gunsmoker... You may have a good point but not related to warm-up in my case. After a couple of days watching, not completely satisfied, I played around and discovered a key setting that allowes me to be back at brightness 46 (Excellent Blacks in Standard Mode). Directly after the update and prior to any reset, my picture seemed very bright yet too dark in low light scenes at the same time. I then did the full reset but after reprogramming all my settings back in, the results remained the same. The obvious cure was to just raise the Brightness 1 level up to 47 and all looked OK, just mabye not as good as before the update. It was as if the TV had a higher contrast to brightness ratio (not a bad thing at all) and then I remembered that I always set the Dynamic Contrast to High (most in the thread do not have it set on High). I tried the next lower setting "Medium" and all looked really GOOD again. So for me in the end, the only change I needed to make was to just lower the Dynamic Contrast in Standard mode to Medium. I personally don't use Dynamic or Natural modes so no changes were made. This Version may be actually very good after all. Still for those who haven't updated, unless there is some magic cure for a issue I am not aware of, I'de leave well enough alone. It seems to me that Version 1026/1027 provided a improved viewing experience and the engineering group then tried to go one more step in the same direction which may not have been needed.
post #2256 of 2871 Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 11
Hopefully i wont get yelled at for changing the subject too much, but i have a couple of questions:

1. what do you guys do for upgrading the flash player on the TV? I recently got rid of cable and living off netflix and hulu. I was hoping i could watch espn off their website but it keeps telling me that the flash player is out of date. From what i have read, this only gets updated by the firmware but wanted to confirm if there isnt another way to upgrade it?
  2. what apps do people use to watch online sports/music videos?
  3. For media streaming, what is the best option? AllShare is good but does not refresh library which is a pain (bad samsung bad). Tversity crashes a lot for me. Ps3 media server is iffy. Only one is Windows media player but obviously it won't play all formats. I tried serviio but its kinda wonky. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
post #2257 of 2871 Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnosf View Post

Hopefully i wont get yelled at for changing the subject too much, but i have a couple of questions:

1. what do you guys do for upgrading the flash player on the TV? I recently got rid of cable and living off netflix and hulu. I was hoping i could watch espn off their website but it keeps telling me that the flash player is out of date. From what i have read, this only gets updated by the firmware but wanted to confirm if there isnt another way to upgrade it?
  3. For media streaming, what is the best option? AllShare is good but does not refresh library which is a pain (bad samsung bad). Tversity crashes a lot for me. Ps3 media server is iffy. Only one is Windows media player but obviously it won't play all formats. I tried serviio but its kinda wonky. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

for your third question, try out Plex (http://www.plexapp.com/). There is even a Plex player that you can download from SmartHub. It is what I use
post #2258 of 2871 Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've had mine for 18 days so far. I like it, but there is some clouding. When I watched Netflix for the first time the other day I noticed horizontal banding also, almost as if the I could see the LED's confused.gif I also noticed some flashlighting in the corners, but only on Netflix. I think this might be the setting, as you have to adjust in every mode. Got it before the 15 day return policy kicked in for BB so I can still exchange it for 12 days (not sure if they;ll give me the 30 or 15 day return on the exchanged item?) I definately want to keep it, but the clouding is driving me a little nutty. I've tried to massage and loosen the screws, but it didn't seem to work.

I was wondering if anyone reading this thread got a Feb or March build? Mine was the January build, and when I checked the service menu there were 56 hrs put on it. Do these tv's come with an amount of hours on them? There's no way I put 56hrs on this tv! During delivery it was brough inside with the box open... I wasn't home and it was signed for. Is it general practice for BB delivery to open these boxes in the warehouse or the customers houses? That and the 56 hr thing is starting to get me a little concerned. Did anyone have a plastic film over the screen they had to peel off? I didn't have a plastic film, but the two previous tv's I had and returned (LG's - the Samsung has considerably LESS clouding and especially flashlighting issues) both had a thin plastic film over the screen that I had to peel off. The Samsung did not have a film on the screen, but the bazel only, and a plastic bag I had to pull off the top. This makes me even more concerened about this particular set of mine....

I will post some pictures of the clouding when I get home tonight. I cannot see it most of the time, and it takes about 30 minutes to notice it. I guess the tv has to warm up?

Any input appreciated...
post #2259 of 2871 Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM

I think you ended up getting a open box. I have gone thru two sets due to flashlighting and clouding. Im on my third now but i still have some clouding. But all three tvs i had to take off the plastic off the bezel and the plastic bag off the tv. I dont think there is any way to get around the clouding....i just gave up and didnt try for a forth replacement.
post #2260 of 2871 Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

I've had mine for 18 days so far. I like it, but there is some clouding. When I watched Netflix for the first time the other day I noticed horizontal banding also, almost as if the I could see the LED's confused.gif I also noticed some flashlighting in the corners, but only on Netflix. I think this might be the setting, as you have to adjust in every mode. Got it before the 15 day return policy kicked in for BB so I can still exchange it for 12 days (not sure if they;ll give me the 30 or 15 day return on the exchanged item?) I definately want to keep it, but the clouding is driving me a little nutty. I've tried to massage and loosen the screws, but it didn't seem to work.

I was wondering if anyone reading this thread got a Feb or March build? Mine was the January build, and when I checked the service menu there were 56 hrs put on it. Do these tv's come with an amount of hours on them? There's no way I put 56hrs on this tv! During delivery it was brough inside with the box open... I wasn't home and it was signed for. Is it general practice for BB delivery to open these boxes in the warehouse or the customers houses? That and the 56 hr thing is starting to get me a little concerned. Did anyone have a plastic film over the screen they had to peel off? I didn't have a plastic film, but the two previous tv's I had and returned (LG's - the Samsung has considerably LESS clouding and especially flashlighting issues) both had a thin plastic film over the screen that I had to peel off. The Samsung did not have a film on the screen, but the bazel only, and a plastic bag I had to pull off the top. This makes me even more concerened about this particular set of mine....

I will post some pictures of the clouding when I get home tonight. I cannot see it most of the time, and it takes about 30 minutes to notice it. I guess the tv has to warm up?

Any input appreciated...
56 Hours = one Used TV and for sure Open Box..... Best Buy pulled a fast one on you and I would surely do somthing about it. Report it to the store manager ASAP or sooner! If you know how to negotiate, A extra gift card for the screw-up along with a new/redelivered TV sounds in order to me. Actually this did happen to me in 2008 from Best Buy and after reporting the issue along with the evidence to Corporate for selling me a used TV, this was the results for my effort. I also got free PU/delivery. I originally paid to have it delivered. I got that cash back as well. Good luck with what ever you deside to do.....
post #2261 of 2871 Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Location: Toronto Ontario Canada/ Port Charlotte Florida Port Charlotte Florida
Liked: 19
OREB...................I am not saying that you did not get a returned item. It is best buy

Policy in Florida to open up the TV to make certain the box contains the correct model I questioned that when my first set was delivered by them.

I had two sets delivered and there was plastic around the chrome moulding that had to be removed by the delivery men. I upgraded from a 55in to a 60 inch..

I checked the store about two days later and my returned set was on the floor being sold as a returned item at a reduced price usually 10% lower than the original selling price.

Best Buy attempts to give customer satisfaction so why not return it as unhappy with the picture quality.

I presume you went into the service menu and this could be a thorny issue because I believe

it is stated on the web site that if you enter the service menu the warranty is not valid.
post #2262 of 2871 Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Does anyone get the extended warranty when they purchase their set? Bought mine from Best Buy in January, and as a silver member, i still have time to get the warranty. Are their other warranty options from elsewhere? I hate buying warranties for big ticket items, only to have a problem AFTER it expires.
post #2263 of 2871 Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa999Pa View Post

Does anyone get the extended warranty when they purchase their set? Bought mine from Best Buy in January, and as a silver member, i still have time to get the warranty. Are their other warranty options from elsewhere? I hate buying warranties for big ticket items, only to have a problem AFTER it expires.
I highly recommend that you do get the extended warranty. I had 3 Samsung TV's go bad within the last four years. Two for bad panels and one for bad power supply repeated failures. My set of 2 & 1/2 months old also just recently lost one pixel so it will also be fixed or mostlikly exchanged using the extended Best Buy warranty. It has SAVED my butt several times as all the TV's all except my 7100 made it thru the Factory warranty before very costly to repair issues showed up.
post #2264 of 2871 Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have the receipt with me right now and have been communicating with a BB manager buddy of mine regarding the return -- although he does work in a different state. I'm going to BB right after work to exchange it and schedule a new delivery. Not sure what to tell them if they ask me "Is anything wrong?" I'll probably say that nothing is wrong with the tv, but I'm not satisfied with the picture quality and screen uniformity, and want to exchange. I've checked online regarding the open box delivery thing, and a similar question was asked on an official BB thread. A corporate person answered that the boxes are typically opened in the warehouse or the customers homes to check for damage. As with the 56 hr thing, I was maybe thinking they have to test these tv's after assembly? Should I tell the BB people that I went in the service menu and saw the tv had 56hrs on it when I first got it? I'm not really the best at negotiation... and was thinking if I start talking about "they delivered it open box, this tv has 56 hrs on it, etc. etc." they'll just say, "of course, we deliver all of our tv's like that." Just want the new set I paid for, without any issues. To me that is a lot of money. Really like this tv compared to the last two and def keeping the model, but would like to finally win the panel lottery.

Sorry for not posting the pictures last night. Came home and was drained. I'll post the pictures today most likely.

Also, can anyone who checked the panel hours tell me around how many should there be on a new tv, if any?
And those of you who have recent experience with BB delivery, aren't they supposed to plug the tv into the outlet and put the stand on so you can make sure it works? The person who signed for it told me they just brought in the open box and took the tv out to show him there were no external damages.
post #2265 of 2871 Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Actually this did happen to me in 2008 from Best Buy and after reporting the issue along with the evidence to Corporate for selling me a used TV

What was the evidence you presented to Corporate?
Quote:
I presume you went into the service menu and this could be a thorny issue because I believe it is stated on the web site that if you enter the service menu the warranty is not valid.

Yes I did go into the service menu. Which warranty are you speaking about? The Samsung warranty or the BB warranty? I don't have a warranty from BB, just the return period. Would you know where I can find that info?
post #2266 of 2871 Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Location: Toronto Ontario Canada/ Port Charlotte Florida Port Charlotte Florida
Liked: 19
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1240540/turn-off-auto-dimming-on-samsung-un55b7100-void-warranty

I looked at my information and I can not find a direct quote about going into the service menu. I did see it somewhere when I first got the set on the website from Samsung but I can not find it. According to the above link Samsung would determine that is misuse unauthorized person going in there again the members on that site do not have a direct reference..

You would have to think it through if it advisable to tell best buy about you going into the service menu that would be your decision.

I did check the Samsung warranty and I could not find any direct prohibition to invalidate the warrant by accessing the service menu.
post #2267 of 2871 Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I highly recommend that you do get the extended warranty. I had 3 Samsung TV's go bad within the last four years. Two for bad panels and one for bad power supply repeated failures. My set of 2 & 1/2 months old also just recently lost one pixel so it will also be fixed or mostlikly exchanged using the extended Best Buy warranty. It has SAVED my butt several times as all the TV's all except my 7100 made it thru the Factory warranty before very costly to repair issues showed up.

+1, Without my Best Buy extended warranty I would be stuck with a defective 2009 Samsung A850.

I had a (series of defective) D6900 as a replacement from Best Buy and the Samsung warranty allowed me to exchange for the ES7100.
post #2268 of 2871 Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM

Hello all. Recently picked up this set at the local costco. Love it however some strange issues have arisen. I have directv and whenever I set picture mode to Standard, the screen dims dramatically especially during darker scenes. I believe this activates micro dimming, which is probably the culprit. I am hoping that this is a software issue rather than hardware. Anyone else come across this problem and what can be done. I have eco sensor off. I apologize if this has been addressed before. Any insight would be appreciated.
post #2269 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 AM

I checked if there was a way to turn it off in the service menu and couldn't find it, but know on other models people turned it off using that menu. The dimming does not happen in movie mode and from reading this whole thread, consensus is you can't turn it off. I also think someone mentioned that turning your brightness to a certain level will disable it but that might be in regards to Eco mode? I'm pretty sure I read that on this thread.
post #2270 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 AM

I exchanged it for a new one last night and it will be delivered this weekend. The girls at customer service were hilarious. I asked if the tv's are delivered with open boxes, and they said, "No, they shouldn't be, well, maybe, well, we don't know." Then I told them about the hrs on the tv, the clouding and screen uniformity issues. One girl says, "Wait, sooo why are you returning it? What do you mean there is clouding? Screen what issues?" I also got an am delivery set up on a day that I will be here, so I can inspect if anything is wrong. Here are some pictures of the current set:

This is what I see when I first turn it on.

This is about 30 min.

You can see the cloud middle bottom left.

The cloud while watching content.

More cloud with a different mode on my crappy camera.

post #2271 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 AM

Whats interesting is that my 2nd replacement set had a large cloud exactly at the same location as you. My third one now had the cloud in the top left corner. What backlight setting are you using? I'm down to 8 for now and still notice it.
post #2272 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I exchanged it for a new one last night and it will be delivered this weekend. The girls at customer service were hilarious. I asked if the tv's are delivered with open boxes, and they said, "No, they shouldn't be, well, maybe, well, we don't know." Then I told them about the hrs on the tv, the clouding and screen uniformity issues. One girl says, "Wait, sooo why are you returning it? What do you mean there is clouding? Screen what issues?" I also got an am delivery set up on a day that I will be here, so I can inspect if anything is wrong. Here are some pictures of the current set:

Good to hear, hope the Next set is cloud-free.

A lower backlight setting can help, I have mine set to 10 with eco sensor set to 8.

My room conditions are rarely bright -so the majority of the time the backlight is on 8 with no flashlights or clouds.
post #2273 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM

I'm using Pirates settings. I really like his color palate although I did tweak the backlight and brightness slightly. In those pictures the backlight is at 10 and brightness is at 45 (I think). Usually I like my brightness a little lower and my backlight between 12-13. The pics are in movie mode. I also tried 10K's settings but the colors seemed a little too green for me. For standard I use Nitras settings and really like those. When I took pictures in standard mode you really couldn't see any clouding, but then the content was a little too dark for me. Besides, the pictures aren't the best representation of what I'm seeing. I think it might be my camera but what I see with my eyes is not as bad as the pictures make it out to be - the blob does not look as bright. My eyes do catch it when watching dark content though, and that's really annoying for me. Hopefully the next panel will be a winner.
post #2274 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM

I can find Pirates Cove setting but I cannot find Nitra's. Can someone find the link. Not sure why I cannot find it. I have had my new 7100 now going on two weeks. Have till Sunday to return it at Best Buy. I feel fortunate to get one that has no flash lighting that I can see and only minimal clouding at the very bottom. I want to make this one work. Still trying to find a sweet spot for the picture. Out of the box it is very bright and almost washed out. How long does it take to "break in" a TV?
post #2275 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Post 631
post #2276 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnosf View Post

Thanks.
There's no way to update the flash player. Thats built in to the smart hub and would require a smart hub update from Samsung.
post #2277 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:

What was the evidence you presented to Corporate?
Yes I did go into the service menu. Which warranty are you speaking about? The Samsung warranty or the BB warranty? I don't have a warranty from BB, just the return period. Would you know where I can find that info?
The evidence to Corporate was based on several things. The TV was delivered out of the box and no protective anything on it. I paid for delivery/setup but after placing the TV on the stand, When power on for the first time, no setup screen, instead the TV went straight to on air broadcast and preset for cable. At that point, set-up was complete. (Yeah right)
I asked for the box and got it but it was very old and beat-up looking. Inside was only a small part of the foam protection for the top but not the bottom.
I then reluctantly signed the paperwork and off the trucker and geeksquad guy went. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the TV screen went full green within 5 minutes of use after the truck left. That did make my issue more heated than yours. I went straight to corporate within the hour and skiped the store management team to prevent as much covering up as possible. In the end, within 2 days I got a great TV at least until it died.
post #2278 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM

So I took the plunge last week and bought the UN60ES7150. Easy setup. Thanks everyone for the past advice and awareness on this thread. So Sunday afternoon I was perusing the apps and decided to delete the Synch Plus app. Guess what when you highlight it and then choose Tools on the remote it does not Present you with the delete option.

From the Samsung Apps site I chose uninstall at the Synch Plus App. It uninstalled and word for the wise when you delete or uninstall an App it appears that Smart Hub updates your changes to a server. That's fine except later Sunday Smart Hub performed an update and reinstalled SynchPlus. Come on Samsung please understand if we wish to delete an app it should stay deleted.
post #2279 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using Pirates settings. I really like his color palate although I did tweak the backlight and brightness slightly. Hopefully the next panel will be a winner.

Glad to hear the colors work, I am Amazed at times on the accuracy and realistic saturation.

I really went for a "pure" non-distracting look, a 'real-life' - not only in TV Land look.

Movie and Standard work because I lowered the color setting. 50 "pops" but looks like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory...tongue.gif
post #2280 of 2871 Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

The evidence to Corporate was based on several things. When power on for the first time, no setup screen, instead the TV went straight to on air broadcast and preset for cable. At that point, set-up was complete.

+1, The truly new ES7100 does a first time Animation- you can also see it after a Factory Reset.

This video is the initial start-up Animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRbWHGM6p6c
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page