Does This TV Exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new 65" or 70" LED TV. What I'm looking for is a model with full LED backlit array and local dimming. It also must have a matte or what I call a semi-matte screen. My family room has floor-to-ceiling windows plus large sliders across the back and there is a significant amount of light in the room. What I have now is an LG-55LV5500 and the reflections in the screen are tolerable. Not quite as good as the matte screen on my previous 47" LCD but ok. I've tried a couple of models with glossy screens that purport to minimize reflections but that's just a joke. It just doesn't work in my lighting conditions.

Sharp does have a few models with a semi-matte screen but I'm not all that impressed with PQ and most do not have full array with local dimming. It looks like the latest LG models either have a glossy screen or are edge-lit sets. Does such a thing even exist now? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 14
Next thing you'll tell us that you are on a budget too smile.gif

Check out the SHARP Elites. They should fit the bill..

Insert pithy comment here
post #3 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Next thing you'll tell us that you are on a budget too smile.gif
Check out the SHARP Elites. They should fit the bill..

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I'm NOT gonna tell you I'm on a budget, within reason that is. smile.gif

I have looked at the Sharp Elite Pro-60X5FD and it is a fantastic set. However, I was a little disappointed with its off-angle viewing. Seems to wash out rather quickly beyond around 25-30 degrees off center. I was also hoping to go from 55" to 65." I may have to compromise to get what I want though (and man do I hate doing that). A glossy screen is an absolute deal breaker for me given the lighting conditions in my F/R. The search continues!
post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Elite Pro hast best Local Dimming off-angle performance, it won't get much better then this.To many LCd off-angle viewing is not a big problem, if you don't like it go Plasma (or wait for OLED).
post #5 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider View Post

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I'm NOT gonna tell you I'm on a budget, within reason that is. smile.gif
I have looked at the Sharp Elite Pro-60X5FD and it is a fantastic set. However, I was a little disappointed with its off-angle viewing. Seems to wash out rather quickly beyond around 25-30 degrees off center. I was also hoping to go from 55" to 65." I may have to compromise to get what I want though (and man do I hate doing that). A glossy screen is an absolute deal breaker for me given the lighting conditions in my F/R. The search continues!

I have 70 Elite and it's the best set I have ever owned BUT it is not semi-matte and there have been times when it will pick up reflections of objects behind my seating area ( open room).

If this is a deal breaker you miight look to Sony. Not sure about the current series but my 55XBR8 in bedroom is semi-matte and never reflections.

But the Elite is so awesome. I don't have the reflection issue too often. The local dimming and blacks contrast are great!

Rick

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page