Official LG 42LS5700/47LS5700/55LS5700/60LS5700 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 221 Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking for a basic 42" LCD with SmartTV feature and DLNA and came across this model which sells for around $700.

I am a big fan of LG and have a 55LW6500 and two BD670. They work great with my Zyxel NSA221 media server and play any format you can throw at them.

Does anyone have any experiences with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Picture is great. I've had a number of issues using the so called SmartTV. It really isn't ready for the average consumer that isn't familiar with video/music formats. The browser Is an outdated Linux version of Safari. There other items I'm not happy with either. I will not buy an LG again.
post #3 of 221 Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM

I have just bought the LG 42LS5700 for the great picture and just set it up and picture is great IMO.
Sound is acceptable IMO to use TV without additional speakers attached.

Mgustus I am just learning controls. Have you tried the PVR function?
When I try to record to a portable 2 1/2 in hard disk plugged in to USB 1 it says it has to reformat the hard disk
but HD is loaded with videos already that I want to keep. Any suggestions on how to get it to record to portable HD plugged into USB without reformatting?
Also PVR will not record to a USB stick.

Also it will replay VOB and MPG and MP4 video from the portable hard disk but picture is not full screen and is more like a squashed 4:3 rather than 16:9
Squashed picture using PVR fixed with a software update.

Cheers.
post #4 of 221 Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
Not much action for an "Official owners Thread"....!

Anybody else using one of these?? I just picked up the 47 and trying to work thru all the picture settings. Once I get the picture dialed in I'll worry about all the Smart-ness....

Since things are quiet here....does anyone know if these have a closer relationship with any of the previous models in particular?....there are several official owner threads on other LG model families to dig thru...

Thanks....
post #5 of 221 Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 AM

Any owners of the LG LS5700 series have any comments on the way the PVR reformats the portable hard disk and any way around it
so disk is reabable on PC and other units?
post #6 of 221 Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 AM

I have not used the 5700 PVR function. I attached a 3TB usb storage device and when it wanted to format it, I didn't move forward. The Premium app MLB just started working after a firmware update. The Netflix app doesn't work for me but VUDU is spot on. Looks great. I have a laptop connected via HDMI and stream via the ethernet port on the laptop. I have used other functions of the TV like DNLA and Plex.

Mike
post #7 of 221 Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM

I ordered the 60LS5750 (ls5700) 2 weeks ago and there has been some type of shipping mix up so who knows if I will ever actually get it. I have been trying to research the tv and can't believe how little info there is on it.
post #8 of 221 Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM

I have the LG 42LS5700 and am rapt in picture so you should be happy with yours. I have not seen the picture of the 60LS5700 and don't know the LS5750.

The picture is the main item and picture of these LG series LS5700 2D are magic IMO. These LED LCD TVs are closing gap on plasmas but not there
yet but much lower power use.

The Manual was limited with some features such as PVR operation hardly mentioned and the various picture menus have a lot
of adjustment options also not discussed but with these latest TVs it auto seeks channels and goes anyway.

I have small active bookshelf speakers attached for better sound,
post #9 of 221 Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM

I just picked up a 60LS5750 from Costco. It has a great picture but I was surprised that the web browser was somewhat limited. It will not work on websites that use the flash player plug-ins. Since the LG apps don't include HBOgo or Amazon I thought I could use via the browser but no such luck. I guess I could add a roku but didn't think I would have too.
post #10 of 221 Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Since mine never came from Sam's club I am thinking of picking one up from Costco. The LS5750 at Sam's and costco is same as the LS5700. The price is great. Just wish I could get one solid review. Maybe the fact this thread is so dead is a good thing. Most of the popular threads have a ton of issues. My main concern is picture quality, clouding and stuff like that. Keep the info coming..smile.gif
post #11 of 221 Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Add me as another who just picked up the 60LS5750 from Costco. Can't wait to get it set up and start playing with it. I have the DVD Essentials and AVS HD disc's to help with the basic calibration. I have two Samsungs and a Sharp Aquos to compare the LG to, although they are all a few years old it will be interesting to note the differences.

Try to keep this thread going...
post #12 of 221 Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

When you are familiar with the picture modes, can you give your opinions on which of the picture modes and settings to choose
and how to use the Expert modes Expert 1 and Expert 2 whatever they are.

Has anyone tried the Picture Wizard II adjustments and do these apply to all of the picture modes?

How do you recalibrate the colour settings or is that best left alone?

Picture is terrific with no edge bleeding.

I don't know what clouding is but don't think TV has that LOL.

Inbuilt PVR with USB replays a lot of video formats with good picture. Picture was squashed but a firmware update
fixed that.

With a small pair of active bookshelfs connected I am very happy with it.

Give your tips and impressions.
post #13 of 221 Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM

The amateur way to adjust color is using colored filters (they come with the essentials disc). You look through them and adjust accordingly. The problem is you can only adjust so much with the settings the tv gives you access to. This is were the professionals can do things we can never do. They have equipment and access to the advanced areas of the tv.
post #14 of 221 Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM

What is the essentials disk?

Picture Wizard II seems to allow adjustment of colours etc.
post #15 of 221 Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM

This is the HD version. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0/ref=pd_cp_mov_1

Just noticed the price is way out of wack. I paid $20 for the DVD version. I wonder how good the Disney Wow is. This one looks good. http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
post #16 of 221 Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 AM

I just picked up the 60LS5750 from Costco and I'm still getting used to the menu's and settings. Would anyone care to share their calibration settings?
post #17 of 221 Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM

I started to calibrate my TV last night. Unfortunately as I was calibrating it I came across a dead pixel. Now that I know it is there it drives me crazy. I am going to try and return it. I did set the brightness to 52 and the contrast to 85, But that is when I noticed the dead pixel so I never had a chance to watch anything with these settings. I did a quick check on colors and they were not that far off. Out of the box my Sharp Aquos was way off. 1 thing I like is the TV has a built in red, blue, and green filters to help calibrate the colors. Within the next week I hope to go through all the settings. I am no expert but I will post what I come up with.
post #18 of 221 Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 PM

I'm not very good at this. my settings: backlight 50, contrast 77, brightness 80, h sharpness 17, v sharpness 16, color 50.
post #19 of 221 Old 09-15-2012, 11:50 AM

I am thinking of picking up one of these for my parents and wanted to know what you guys thought. I can't find much in the way of reviews on this model. I am looking for a 1080P 120hz LED that has nice fluid motion for sports. My parents don't give a crap about 3d or internet apps so the only thing we are concerned about is picture and sound.42" is the biggest they can put in their enclosure. How does this model compare to others that are out there right now? I can pick this up for $710 today. Are there any other models similarly priced that have better image quality? Anyone know how this compares to the Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50?
post #20 of 221 Old 09-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz298 View Post

I am thinking of picking up one of these for my parents and wanted to know what you guys thought. I can't find much in the way of reviews on this model. I am looking for a 1080P 120hz LED that has nice fluid motion for sports. My parents don't give a crap about 3d or internet apps so the only thing we are concerned about is picture and sound.42" is the biggest they can put in their enclosure. How does this model compare to others that are out there right now? I can pick this up for $710 today. Are there any other models similarly priced that have better image quality? Anyone know how this compares to the Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50?

I think picture is magic but have not compared it much with other sets. I saw picture on display in retailer and is excellent.
It is 2D. I didn't want 3D either. but the set is so good that when people are in focus in the foreground the picture appears to have depth.
I have not seen that on an LCD TV before but is just due to the background being out of focus slightly.
Is OK for sports. I watch AFL all of the time and very happy. Seems best with Tru Motion off.
Sound is just OK. If you are like me and used to bookshelf speaker sound as I am i have a pair of small active speakers connected.
Digital Optical connection is the only sound out connection so I have optical cable connected to a DAC
to connect to the analog speakers.
Difficult to compare other models unless you compare them running in the shop side by side and make your own decision.

The PVR hijacks whole portable hard disk so if you don't have a spare one to dedicate to the TV you won't use it.
However it will replay MKV, MP4, VOB and AVI and others from a normally formatted portable hard disk.

This thread will in time show user best settings.
There are a lot of different picture modes and adjustments available.
post #21 of 221 Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Lets keep this thread going on best settings.
Very little in manual.

My latest best settings for night time viewing of live AFL footy.

Latest Australian Firmware Ver 04.00.28 (Not same as Tassmin's USA version)

PICTURE MODE
Standard (User)
Backlight 26
Contrast 66
Brightness 26
Sharpness 30 (Does not make much difference)
Colour 60
Tint R12
Colour Temp 0

ADVANCED CONTROL
All OFF except GAMMA low

PICTURE OPTION
All OFF

Does anyone know whether the picture modes EXPERT 1 and EXPERT 2 affect the settings of
all other modes as well or not.

Any advice from owners appreciated.
post #22 of 221 Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Repeat of the above post. Sorry.
post #23 of 221 Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz298 View Post

I am sure they would be happy with this tv except they may not like the remote. I didn't mind the remote but I am sure my parents would hate it. If you read the reviews on Amazon most of the complaints are the remote.
post #24 of 221 Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWaters20 View Post

Is OK for sports. I watch AFL all of the time and very happy. Seems best with Tru Motion off.
Interesting. I thought one of the main purposes of tru motion was for fast action things like sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzmin View Post

I am sure they would be happy with this tv except they may not like the remote. I didn't mind the remote but I am sure my parents would hate it. If you read the reviews on Amazon most of the complaints are the remote.
They never use the actual TV remote for anything. I set everything up for them and then they don't touch it. They just use the cable box remote.
post #25 of 221 Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM

Killerz I think they will need to use the remote to change colours etc as programs vary so much.

Which country are you in?. I think USA and some other countries get the magic remote that does changes like a wand
on the screen and is much criticized.
From what i have read you would throw that away.

Here in Australia we don't get that remote.
We get a conventional infra red remote with this TV with good conventional menus that acts like a conventional remote and adjustments are easy.

The magic remote is an optional extra at extra cost here in Aust.. I certainly won't be getting one and wouldn't be keeping the TV
if that was the only remote available.

They are probably shifting to the conventional remote and menus because of complaints with the other one.

Just curious.
If you have the magic remote enquire about availability of the conventional one where changes are done with buttons on the remote.
post #26 of 221 Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM

has anyone got the 42" version? and played it with the xbox? i have 2 questions

1- how is it? feel any input lag?

2- is the red text as sharp as all the other coloured text?? cause i have the 32LD550 and the red looks blurry compared to other colours in text, this is best visible on gears of war 3 within the kill feed

i am really thinking of buying this TV and would love some feedback and answer to these questions
post #27 of 221 Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM

So here are some of my findings on this TV.

I currently have two LCD Samsungs and a 46" Sharp Aquos 5 years old. I have been researching TV's for a few months to put a 60" TV in our living room. Truthfully it has been mentally draining because the more you research the more you realize there is no perfect TV. Almost every Edge Lit LED has flashing or clouding and it scared me away from pulling the trigger on a TV. I didn't want to go Plasma because of all the things like buzzing, IR, break in, heat output etc... So That pretty much forced me to buy a edge lit even know it seems they haven't perfected this yet.

I decided to buy the LG 60LS5750 (same as the 5700 from big box stores) from Sams because of the great price. I ordered it online and after two weeks the day it was supposed to show up it didn't. Somehow got lost? So I get a full refund and happen to see same tv at Costco for an excellent price so I bought it. My initial thoughts were positive. I noticed no clouding on a full black or dark screen with just a tiny bit of flash lighting at the top right corner. Almost not worth mentioning. So I spent some time tweaking and calibrating when I noticed what seemed to be a dead pixel about the size of a pea. Hard to see but even from 14ft away I knew it was there. I just could not live with it and returned the TV. At this point I didn't know what to do and after studying TV's some more I decided to try the Samsung ES6100 since it is basically the closest TV to the LG spec wise. Both non 3D smart TV's. The Samsung was $500 more but I figured you are paying for quality so you can't go wrong. Boy was I disappointed.

Keep in mind I just spent 4 days learning the ups and downs of the LG so it was still fresh in my mind.

As I removed the Samsung from the box I was disappointed to see the HDMI (ARC) input was in the back of the TV and not on the side. Also the power cord came straight out a good 1" or so. In comparison the LG was perfectly designed to allow for a ultra close wall mount install as that is what I planed on doing. The LG not only put all the HDMI's on the side they also have the power cord dropping down out the back of the TV as close as possible, plus they even throw in some composite extensions for easy connect while on the wall. I was willing to look past this if the Samsung's picture was that much better. LG wins in design. Not even close.

Next I turn on the Samsung and after going through setup I quickly noticed an awful amount of light flashing from all four corners. I mean it looked like a bolt of lightning coming from every corner a good 10" with clouding. Also two very large clouds in the middle of the screen. I was so disappointed even after playing with the settings I wasn't happy. Even my wife agreed it was no good. It was worse than the dead pixel I had! It may be that Best Buy handles the TV's like a rag doll and at Costco the TV never leaves the pallet until you buy it? LG smokes the Samsung for screen uniformity. Not even close

The 5700 and Samsung 6100 both have HDMI-CEC. The LG easily powered on and off my AVR with the TV. This is great since I always use my AVR and never actually use the TV speakers. The Samsung will only shut off my AVR and no matter what I tried would not automatical turn on my AVR with the TV. This is a small issue but very convenient when using one remote. LG wins again..

Didn't have much time playing with apps so no thoughts on that.

Picture quality in the store I can honestly say the Samsung jumps out better with brighter whites. No question the LG seems a bit dull when next to the Samsung in the store but once you get home throw all that out the window. Once you get everything calibrated it would be a tough call on better picture quality. Since I have no accurate way of saying who wins lets just say I am happy with both. I will say out of the box the LG colors are very close according to the filters. Also the LG has built in filters for easy calibration and the Samsung does not. Tie?

So I returned the Samsung and went back to Costco and bought the 60LS5750 again. I was so nervous when I turned it on in fear of clouding or dead pixel but to my surprise this one looks better than the first. I can honestly say absolutely no flashing or clouding at all. So happy after that Samsung 6100! Plus saved $500.

I am going to calibrate this week using the AVS and Video Essentials discs and I'll post up my settings. After brightness and contrast are set I don't think this set needs all that much tweaking IMO.
jshowers likes this.
post #28 of 221 Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 AM

Tezzmin,

I am very happy with the LG as well.

Which country are you and which type of remote comes with the LG.

I find that DVD movies and some TV shows often have a dull sepia brownish colour tone that usually needs brightness and contrast tweaks to suit
but that free to air settings don't need much adjustment.

In Aust this set shows a real clarity difference between standard def (576i) and hi def (720p or 1080i) free to air TV programs.

Cheers.
post #29 of 221 Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 AM

Sorry, duplicate post.
post #30 of 221 Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWaters20 View Post

Tezzmin,
I am very happy with the LG as well.
Which country are you and which type of remote comes with the LG.
I find that DVD movies and some TV shows often have a dull sepia brownish colour tone that usually needs brightness and contrast tweaks to suit
but that free to air settings don't need much adjustment.
In Aust this set shows a real clarity difference between standard def and hi def free to air TV.
Cheers.

I am in the United States and it comes with the Magic remote. I am actually starting to like this remote due to it's simplicity. If I want to do a quick setting change all I have to do is pick up the remote and the curser jumps up on the screen, tap home once and make my adjustments. No fumbling around with buttons. I can see how it might grow old using it every day but I will be using my Dish remote almost 100% once I get this TV set up.

You might be right about the brownish color, I really haven't noticed yet since I have no TV signal hooked up yet and only been playing with test blue rays.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 42ls5700 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Lg 47ls5700 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Lg 55ls5700 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Lg 60ls5700 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page