Which 70" Sharp television? Costco model OK? 3D or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been drooling over the 70" Sharp LCD that you see every time you walk into any of the Costco stores in the Twin Cities Area.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has finally green-lighted the upgrade from our 42" Sony LCD RP (how did that bulb last nearly 10 years?). As I get ready to plunk down actual cash money, it seems like there's more than just 3D vs. non-3D to choose from with the 70" Sharp displays. A search last night on Best Buy's web site shows two non-3D Sharp 70s and the compare function showed them to be the same feature wise, although the model numbers were different.

I'm pretty sure the version at Costco is Costco-specific, does anyone know if that's good or bad (feature differences or limitations or even feature improvements)? When I've researched other products available at Coscto that were club-specific SKUs, it seems like they're feature-identical to the non-club model, but it can be hard to be sure every time. Costco product quality is pretty high overall and it would surprise me if they were crippling a product SKU just to be price competitive.

My initial instinct is to get a non-3D set due to the relative scarcity of 3D content and I'm generally unimpressed with 3D content anywhere. But since this is kind of a once-every-10-years opportunity, I'd consider the 3D model if there was some advantage to it besides 3D that applied to non-3D content/viewing. Is there any?

Overall I'd prefer to buy at Costco if all things are pretty equal due to the warranty extension, cash back, return policy, etc, but if the Costco features are compromised and the price elsewhere is competitive, I'd consider that too.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page