Do Black Bars Really Burn into a LCD Display? If so, how long does it take? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a segment from my Samsung LCD TV Series 5 550 Manual. Model: LN32C550J1FXZA

The Problem I have is television broadcasts and movie formats. Sometimes I can not enlarge it big enough to get rid of the black bars. How long does it actually take for those to burn into your LCD Display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Liked: 12
I wonder if they burn into LED screens?
post #3 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 14
Courtesy of everyone's favorite source, Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the case of LCDs, the mechanics of burn-in are different than plasma and OLED, which develop burn-in from luminance degradation of the light-emitting pixels. For LCDs, burn-in develops in some cases because pixels permanently lose their ability to return to their relaxed state after a continued static usage profile. In more typical usage profiles this image persistence in LCD is only transient.

They have a sample image of image retention on an LCD. Personally, I've never seen any on an LCD despite some rather extreme scenarios, but I'm sure that someone somewhere has found a way to do it.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
This is just an extreme example of CYA on the part of lcd mfgs. The likelihood of any actual image retention in normal use is about that of Porcine aviation. "LED" sets are just lcds with a different light source, thought that would be common knowledge, at least here.

Steve S.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

I know it may sound like I'm asking how to burn in black lines. But that's not really what I'm asking. I'm scared that if I watch a movie that doesn't fill the entire screen, that it might burn in. Seeing how many times I wanted to watch a Movie on TV, they decide to broadcast it in postage stamp, too small to make it large enough to get rid of black lines on either the sides or top and bottom. I also feel like the Manufacture should know that their are lots of different video ratios out there.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 AM

Liked: 11
I had Image retention on a va display. Never bought a va display since.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryshock View Post

I know it may sound like I'm asking how to burn in black lines. But that's not really what I'm asking. I'm scared that if I watch a movie that doesn't fill the entire screen, that it might burn in. Seeing how many times I wanted to watch a Movie on TV, they decide to broadcast it in postage stamp, too small to make it large enough to get rid of black lines on either the sides or top and bottom. I also feel like the Manufacture should know that their are lots of different video ratios out there.

I have never known, or heard of, anyone who had burn in on an lcd tv. You can watch all the movies with black bars that you like without fear of burn in. Perhaps in an industrial situation where the monitor is on 24/7 for years at a time with a static image it could be a problem but not in any kind of home use, which includes gaming.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I watch a lot black bar stuff on my Sony LCd's and do this for at least five years now, haven't had any problems yet. Problems can occur on cheap displays. Local Dimmings can have uneven wear after a long time of black bar stuff.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

I watch a lot black bar stuff on my Sony LCd's and do this for at least five years now, haven't had any problems yet. Problems can occur on cheap displays. Local Dimmings can have uneven wear after a long time of black bar stuff.

I have no idea if It would be considered a cheap, mid, or high dollar set. I think when the manufacture cautions a person not to watch it with black bars for too long, they should tell you how long is too long. Also I wonder if it could be an accumulative effect or not. Accumulative Effect means it wears it out quicker.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

I have never heard of ANY lcd display having burn in issues, cheap or otherwise. The technology IS NOT prone to burn in.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about stuff like a $200.00 46inch or not proper constructed LCd's, anyway i googled 'LCd burn-in photo'

http://www.google.nl/search?q=lcd+burn+in+photo&hl=nl&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SNYK&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=p7bXT6CpFqbF0QWph7yqBA&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1021&bih=502

According to a poster this is not burn-in but Anti-glare coating layer or the polarizer film is becoming discolored which is the result of cheap-o manufacturing procesrolleyes.gif
So one must keep in mind that what looks like LCd burn-in might be something else.
post #8 http://www.avsforum.com/t/955114/37-westinghouse-lcd-burn-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryshock 
I can not enlarge it big enough to get rid of the black bars
why am i seeing black bars?
http://www.bigscreen.com/about/help.php?id=46
post #12 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anecdotal posts don't suggest this is a huge prob, plus not all panels are made equal, so I say if you are looking for a black&white answer ur not gonna find one.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I finally found the answer I was looking for in the Samsung FAQ. I was just about ready to try and email them, and it lead me to an Easy FAQ page. It took me a little time to do all of this. But at least I found the answer. Here I a link that should save you all the time it took me.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00022472&fm_seq=22640#
post #14 of 15 Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just because it's a Samsung FAQ doesn't mean anything. It says among others that every two hours of black bar watching you should switch to full screen for a few minutes. This is nonsense. I watched at least one year 99% black bar stuff on a LCd, four/five hours a day, this had no effect whatso ever!
post #15 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM

That reference was to a Samsung Plasma model. LCD black bars was the subject. I don't believe LCDs burn in.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page