connecting my receiver to my new samsung led tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i bought a new samsung tv and i thought it will be just like im using with my laptop, connect the hdmi and have 5.1, but i was wrong.
im trying to get my receiver to read what my tv is playing via USB.
is there anyway to do this?
in the manual it says something about running an optical from one side to the other but im not sure if this will work for playing movies via usb.
if this is true it will save me lots of $ on a streamer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soler37 View Post

Huh? What? Que?

Stick your media in a USB dongle, plug USB dongle to back of TV. TV should be able to play. That's item#1.

Item#2: Are you not able to get audio from the TV -> Receiver? TV has a 2-page quick set up guide. Please make use.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

tv wont read the receiver when i play movies from my usb.
works when i play my xbox.
i tried optical but it doesnt even read that, i cant even find the option of optical on the tv menu.
decided to go with a streamer. smile.gif
post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
tv wont read the receiver when i play movies from my usb.

Again, not sure what you mean by "read"..
Quote:
works when i play my xbox.

How is your xbox connected to the tv/receiver?
Quote:
i cant even find the option of optical on the tv menu.

Should be in the audio settings menu. If you have an optical cable from the tv's optical output to the receiver's optical input, you will need to select Dolby 5.1. This might be the problem, if the media on your flash drive isn't encoded with DD 5.1.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

the question is, having an optical out in my tv - should i be to able to play movies from my flash drive through my receiver, what i mean is having the sound from the receiver and having picture from the tv, i do have movies that are encoded with 5.1.
i have the new samsung ua46es6200, i cant find the optical option in the menu.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

should i be to able to play movies from my flash drive through my receiver

I have a feeling you are asking the question with the wrong terminology, hence we don't understand what ur asking. The above asks: can I USB -> Receiver (thorugh) -> TV. Have feeling that's not you mean.

First off, there is no menu selection for optical, it's always enabled, whether it ACTUALLY is giving u a signal is another matter.

AV connections can be made simple if u think in term of INPUTS and OUTPUTS. For example if I say XBOX -> TV -> Receiver, everybody knows what I mean. Note the direction of the arrows. Then you have to be aware most connections are ONE WAY (uni-directional), i.e.: TV HDMI are INPUT *TO* the TV only, therefore an HDMI connection can only be Receiver -> TV but NEVER TV (HDMI) -> Receiver. Again note arrows' direction. An AV receiver will have HDMI connectors for both input and output, labeled.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

the question is, having an optical out in my tv - should i be to able to play movies from my flash drive through my receiver, what i mean is having the sound from the receiver and having picture from the tv, i do have movies that are encoded with 5.1.
i have the new samsung ua46es6200, i cant find the optical option in the menu.

First of all, If you are talking about an optical out which is (toslink) that is a digital cable used to send audio data streams. We also need to know all your system specs. If you want to play movies via a some type of storage device, you have to make sure the tv or whatever you are plugging the usb device into can decode that format. If you can play the movie by plugging the usb stick into the tv, you can run the toslink optical cable from the tv to you avr receiver and set the receiver to tv, so you can have sound playing through you avr system.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

i bought a new samsung tv and i thought it will be just like im using with my laptop, connect the hdmi and have 5.1, but i was wrong.
in the manual it says something about running an optical from one side to the other but im not sure if this will work for playing movies via usb.

Not sure I really understand your question but if you have a DVD or Blu ray player connected to your receiver (via HDMI) and the receiver is connected to the tv (via HDMI), all you have to do is plug in the flash drive to the DVD/Blu ray player which will then play the audio through your speakers and the video content to your tv.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Are you putting a usb drive into the TV and then using the optical out on the TV to connect to the AVR? If so, don't expect DD 5.1 output from the TV to your AVR. It is meant only for DD 5.1 from OTA HD TV programming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Basically what everyone is saying, you need to fully explain your situation to use so we can answer your question. How is everything connected? Are you trying to play content from the flash drive through the tv or the receiver? You say it's encoded at 5.1, but is that Dolby or DTS?
post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First things first...eliminate the USB drive for now...do you get any audio back to your receiver from the Toslink audio out on your display when watching cable/sat/OTA programming?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page