Samsung LN-46E550 F6F Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just got one, and cannot find much anywhere, anyone have any settings info for this unit.

I have tried the d550 settings, although not bad, just doesn't seem great, screen seems a little cloudy/white - I've been playing with color, brightness, backlight settings to compensate but would like to find something geared for this model if possible, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Anyone have anything? Or is there a thread I haven't been able to find?

I'm going to post my settings over the weekend which seems to be working but still can be improved
post #3 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by executivechef01 View Post

Anyone have anything? Or is there a thread I haven't been able to find?
I'm going to post my settings over the weekend which seems to be working but still can be improved

Don't have one but have the D630. I love it except for the motion resolution. It's terrible. It reminds me of a plasma with all the juddering/stuttering. I have even turned the AMP off and it still does it.
My 30 day return window is almost closed and I need some more info on the E550 but there isn't any.
How is screen uniformity on the E550?
How is the PQ?
Is the motion good for a 60Hz? Any stuttering/juddering issues?
Is the screen matte?

Thanks in advance for the info.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Not relevant to pq but those considering purchase of an E550 series Samsung set should be aware that there is niether a digital or analog audio output connection on this model. This means that one cannot connect an external audio system like a soundbar to the set.

External sources like cable/sat boxes, game consoles, BD players must have separate audio connections from the source device to any sound system one might use. If you're using the set's own tuner you're stuck with the set's own speakers.

This isn't important to those who never contemplate using anything other than the set's speakers for sound.

Steve S.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Not relevant to pq but those considering purchase of an E550 series Samsung set should be aware that there is niether a digital or analog audio output connection on this model. This means that one cannot connect an external audio system like a soundbar to the set.
External sources like cable/sat boxes, game consoles, BD players must have separate audio connections from the source device to any sound system one might use. If you're using the set's own tuner you're stuck with the set's own speakers.
This isn't important to those who never contemplate using anything other than the set's speakers for sound.

This would only pertain to an optical setup but IMO one would get a better sound by plugging a soundbar directly to the source (PS3, Tivo, XBox, Cable Box, etc...) and using the TV's external speaker function when you want to use the soundbar. You might have to sync up the soundbar by doing it this way but overall the sound would be much better coming from the source than getting redirected to the tv then to the soundbar. So, as long as the tv has the "external speaker" function in the menu it will be fine for me or anyone who sets up their soundbar that way. Think about it, most soundbars have atleast 2 optical inputs. If the soundbar was supposed to be hooked to the TV there would only be 1. Keep in mind this would only be sufficient to someone who only has 2 components (PS3 and Cable Box, etc...). The current settings on the PS3 are in PCM for optical sound. PCM does not work well on a 2.1 sound setup (soundbar) and will make the sound effects too loud and dialog not loud enough for there is no receiver to code the information. The settings will have to be changed to Bitstream Direct. Hope this helps anyone who has a soundbar and the E550.

Anyone know of major differences between the LNxxD630 and LNxxE550?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

This would only pertain to an optical setup but IMO one would get a better sound by plugging a soundbar directly to the source (PS3, Tivo, XBox, Cable Box, etc...) and using the TV's external speaker function when you want to use the soundbar. You might have to sync up the soundbar by doing it this way but overall the sound would be much better coming from the source than getting redirected to the tv then to the soundbar. So, as long as the tv has the "external speaker" function in the menu it will be fine for me or anyone who sets up their soundbar that way. Think about it, most soundbars have atleast 2 optical inputs. If the soundbar was supposed to be hooked to the TV there would only be 1. Keep in mind this would only be sufficient to someone who only has 2 components (PS3 and Cable Box, etc...). The current settings on the PS3 are in PCM for optical sound. PCM does not work well on a 2.1 sound setup (soundbar) and will make the sound effects too loud and dialog not loud enough for there is no receiver to code the information. The settings will have to be changed to Bitstream Direct. Hope this helps anyone who has a soundbar and the E550.
Anyone know of major differences between the LNxxD630 and LNxxE550?

I must've skipped over the part of your post where you basically said the same thing I just said.

"External sources like cable/sat boxes, game consoles, BD players must have separate audio connections from the source device to any sound system one might use."-Steve S.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
if you go from the D630 to the E550 you will lose two of your 4 HDMI ports, one of your two component inputs. The sole component input on the 550 is supposed to do double duty as a composite input (you plug the yellow composite cable into the green component jack) and the set has no separate composite input. As with the audio out situation this may not be of importance depending on how many external sources you're using.

I'd keep the 630 and do a little more experimentation with AMP settings to try to get rid of the judder. Note that if you're using 24fps output from your BD player you will have some judder on horizontal pans similar to what's common in movie theaters that still use film projection rather than digital--if that's your primary problem try setting the player back to 60fps BD output.

I sell tvs for a living and the E550 is, imho, a continuation of last year's Samsung "Black Friday" decontented models.

Steve S.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

if you go from the D630 to the E550 you will lose two of your 4 HDMI ports, one of your two component inputs. The sole component input on the 550 is supposed to do double duty as a composite input (you plug the yellow composite cable into the green component jack) and the set has no separate composite input. As with the audio out situation this may not be of importance depending on how many external sources you're using.
I'd keep the 630 and do a little more experimentation with AMP settings to try to get rid of the judder. Note that if you're using 24fps output from your BD player you will have some judder on horizontal pans similar to what's common in movie theaters that still use film projection rather than digital--if that's your primary problem try setting the player back to 60fps BD output.
I sell tvs for a living and the E550 is, imho, a continuation of last year's Samsung "Black Friday" decontented models.

Thanks for the info. I got a semi-pro review on the net about the E550 that wasn't very good. Poor colors, contrast, and black-level were just some of the faults they mentioned. I'm very happy with the D630 and probably will keep it.
I haven't acutally watched a blu-ray on it yet. Everything I've watched that has the slight juddering has been on cable (1080i/60). I have played a PS3 game in 1080p that looked great but I always turn AMP off when I play video games so I don't know if judders during games or not. I've messed around with the AMP features for the last week and still haven't found the right setting. I currently have it on standard with film mode on Auto 1 and it seems to work ok unless I have it on HGTV, Food Network, and IFC HD. Those channels are pretty bad to begin with on motion resolution so I just turn the AMP off completely when I watch those channles and it seems to be ok.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Don't have one but have the D630. I love it except for the motion resolution. It's terrible. It reminds me of a plasma with all the juddering/stuttering. I have even turned the AMP off and it still does it.
My 30 day return window is almost closed and I need some more info on the E550 but there isn't any.
How is screen uniformity on the E550?
How is the PQ?
Is the motion good for a 60Hz? Any stuttering/juddering issues?
Is the screen matte?
Thanks in advance for the info.

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I got a semi-pro review on the net about the E550 that wasn't very good. Poor colors, contrast, and black-level were just some of the faults they mentioned. I'm very happy with the D630 and probably will keep it.
I haven't acutally watched a blu-ray on it yet. Everything I've watched that has the slight juddering has been on cable (1080i/60). I have played a PS3 game in 1080p that looked great but I always turn AMP off when I play video games so I don't know if judders during games or not. I've messed around with the AMP features for the last week and still haven't found the right setting. I currently have it on standard with film mode on Auto 1 and it seems to work ok unless I have it on HGTV, Food Network, and IFC HD. Those channels are pretty bad to begin with on motion resolution so I just turn the AMP off completely when I watch those channles and it seems to be ok.

I've seen the 46" E550 in several stores and the 46" EH5000/5300/6000 are all clearly superior in terms of contrast, color, and overall sharpness/clarity. The D630 is way better than the E550 in terms of overall PQ (as are the mentioned EH series models). Odds are if motion bothers you on the D630, the EH6000 w/ the Samsung S-PVA panel is the one to get (I believe the one you didn't like had the Sharp panel). Of course, once I get to test out my S-PVA EH6000, I'll be able to say more on the subject.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I've seen the 46" E550 in several stores and the 46" EH5000/5300/6000 are all clearly superior in terms of contrast, color, and overall sharpness/clarity. The D630 is way better than the E550 in terms of overall PQ (as are the mentioned EH series models). Odds are if motion bothers you on the D630, the EH6000 w/ the Samsung S-PVA panel is the one to get (I believe the one you didn't like had the Sharp panel). Of course, once I get to test out my S-PVA EH6000, I'll be able to say more on the subject.

What is the main difference between the Sharp and S-PVA panels on the EH6000?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the main difference between the Sharp and S-PVA panels on the EH6000?

The S-PVA has the best native contrast ratio and H/V viewing angles. It also doesn't have purple trails with motion or any purple tint whatsover with regard to color/grayscale and it doesn't have a number of issues you mentioned in the EH6000 thread, except for vertical banding (though those bands vary in brightness, not color).
post #12 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

The S-PVA has the best native contrast ratio and H/V viewing angles. It also doesn't have purple trails with motion or any purple tint whatsover with regard to color/grayscale and it doesn't have a number of issues you mentioned in the EH6000 thread, except for vertical banding (though those bands vary in brightness, not color).

Interesting. I had $1200 to spend on a set but our washing machine broke so we had to dip in to get a new one. I ended up getting the LN46D630 after reading very positive reviews and I'm 95% happy with my decision. The only drawback is the juddering.
I believe the panel I had before(eh6000) started with TS__ or CH__. I can't remember exactly. So, the S-PVA panels would say that on the side where it says Version:_______?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I had $1200 to spend on a set but our washing machine broke so we had to dip in to get a new one. I ended up getting the LN46D630 after reading very positive reviews and I'm 95% happy with my decision. The only drawback is the juddering.
I believe the panel I had before(eh6000) started with TS__ or CH__. I can't remember exactly. So, the S-PVA panels would say that on the side where it says Version:_______?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406151/the-official-2012-samsung-eh4000-eh5000-eh5300-owners-thread/330#post_22372150

Cxxx/Bxxx = Chei Mei (S-MVA)
Axxx = AUO Optronics (A-MVA)
Hxxx = Sharp (ASV)
Txxx = Samsung (S-PVA)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46e550 46 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page