Official LG XXCM565 Owners Thread (2012 Model) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This past weekend I bought a 47CM565 at a local Walmart here in Mexico. According to a salesman, this model is new and was just delivered the past week. Mine has a build date of May 2012.

It has a CCFL backlight, with a 1920x1080 60Hz S-IPS panel, passive 3D and a glossy screen. The exterior looks exactly the same as my 42LK450 (including the fake wood), but the 47CM565 has only 1 composite input that is shared with the component video input #2, and doesn't include a headphone jack. Calibration wise, it includes the same options as the 42LK450, sans the xvYCC support.

According to the manual, there is also a 42" model, 42CM565, but I haven't seen it on sale or on the USA or Mexico LG websites.

Since I have been really busy at work, I haven't had time to adjust the image (I will use the Disney's WOW Blu-ray), but with a little tweaking it looks almost as good as my LK450.

For what is worth, the model number is 47CM565-UB.AWMWLUR, so it appears that a "W" letter in the fourth place indicates an S-IPS panel, just like it did in the 2010 LG models.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the TV can play music (MP3), photos and videos (AVI, DIVX, MP4 and MKV) from a device connected to the USB port. And it also has an Ethernet LAN port that can be used for firmware updates and to play media files from a DLNA server.

I will post images later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Have you had a chance to do any input lag testing? I am very interested in the model but have heard of input lag issues with LG's.
post #3 of 41 Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancegrant View Post

Have you had a chance to do any input lag testing? I am very interested in the model but have heard of input lag issues with LG's.

I did a quick test, and apparently (since my camera isn't very good) it has between 30 ms to 40 ms of lag. I just tested at 1280x720, because that's the maximum resolution that my laptop supports in screen clone mode.
post #4 of 41 Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I would be very interested in your review of the tv. Any good/bad things you have noticed. Have you had a chance to test any 3D content?
post #5 of 41 Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Any updates?
post #6 of 41 Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

This past weekend I bought a 47CM565 at a local Walmart here in Mexico. According to a salesman, this model is new and was just delivered the past week. Mine has a build date of May 2012.
It has a CCFL backlight, with a 1920x1080 60Hz S-IPS panel, passive 3D and a glossy screen. The exterior looks exactly the same as my 42LK450 (including the fake wood), but the 47CM565 has only 1 composite input that is shared with the component video input #2, and doesn't include a headphone jack. Calibration wise, it includes the same options as the 42LK450, sans the xvYCC support.
According to the manual, there is also a 42" model, 42CM565, but I haven't seen it on sale or on the USA or Mexico LG websites.
Since I have been really busy at work, I haven't had time to adjust the image (I will use the Disney's WOW Blu-ray), but with a little tweaking it looks almost as good as my LK450.
For what is worth, the model number is 47CM565-UB.AWMWLUR, so it appears that a "W" letter in the fourth place indicates an S-IPS panel, just like it did in the 2010 LG models.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the TV can play music (MP3), photos and videos (AVI, DIVX, MP4 and MKV) from a device connected to the USB port. And it also has an Ethernet LAN port that can be used for firmware updates and to play media files from a DLNA server.
I will post images later.

a couple questions:

how good is the 3D?

does it offer 10-pt grayscale/white balance/color temp adjustments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about not posting any info, but I've been very busy at work.

I just bought several 3D Blu-rays (Hugo, Captain America, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2 and How to Train Your Dragon) and the 3D is very, very good, with no ghosting or crosstalk. The lenses are light, and even my kids (9 and 14 years old) have been playing some games in 3D, without their eyes getting tired. The screen does have some backlight bleeding, but after being adjusted to my night viewing conditions, it is barely noticeable.

It does have exactly the same image adjusting features of the LK450 series: 10 pt. grayscale, white balance and color temp included. I did adjust the image using the Disney WOW BD and the results are on par with my 42LK450, that is now owned by my sister.

I hope to post pictures very soon, but don't hold your breath. wink.gif
post #8 of 41 Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 PM

Do you mind sharing your calibration settings? I tried using the "Picture Wizard" feature, but my image does not look great.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

These are my image settings for the LG 47CM565. I'm only using the HDMI1 input with these settings. Remember that there are many factors can alter the image that a TV produces, even in sets from the same brand and model. Use my settings just as a baseline and modify them to your viewing environment.

Mode Expert 1
(Day)

Backlight 50
Contrast 91
Brightness 52
H. Sharpness 50
V. Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint G1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema On
Color Gamut BT709
Edge Enhancer Off
Expert Pattern Off
Color Filter Off
Color Temperature Warm
Gamma 2.2

IRE Adj. Points not modified
Color Management System not modified

Mode Expert 2
(Night)

Backlight 30
Contrast 91
Brightness 50
H. Sharpness 50
V. Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint G1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema On
Color Gamut BT709
Edge Enhancer Off
Expert Pattern Off
Color Filter Off
Color Temperature Warm
Gamma 2.2

IRE Adj. Points not modified
Color Management System not modified
post #10 of 41 Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM

Hi Weapon, I bought the 47CM565 this past week from Amazon. Before this I purchased the LED edgelit 47LM7600 and returned it 3 times due to backlight edgebleed. I couldn't stand the edgebleed in dark scenes or letterbox. I've always had pretty good screen uniformity with LG CCFL LCD's so I went ahead with the 47CM565 since it looked like my 32LK450 and I've gotten good screen uniformity and black levels with that one. I've had it for a week and the picture quality is amazing, very solid colors. Black levels are pretty good if you are seated directly in front of it and I can see a slight backlight bleed (clouding/blooming) in the upper and lower right corner but its not really distracting if your directly in front of the TV. However, there is a good amount of backlight bleed (that looks like clouding/blooming) if you slightly move off to the side or stand up, it makes blacks look really gray and it's mostly noticeable in dark scenes. I noticed you said that your model has some backlight bleed and that you managed to reduced it by adjusting your settings so I was curious to know how excessive your backlight bleed was, does it change significantly or extremely when you move off to the side a little or stand up? When I'm off to the side working on my PC, I can notice the middle of the screen horizontally is pretty good with black levels but the top and bottom looks gray from the backlight bleed. I know this is usually a con with LCD's but my previous LG's don't look like this so I'm wondering if I just got a bad panel or something. I can still return it and get another if I have to. I purchased the 47CM565 because I figured it would provide better screen uniformity then edgelit LED's and my 32LK450 and 47LG50 have pretty good uniformity and black levels but then again maybe those have different panels or something. Overall I'm happy with the TV and I'm still test driving it to see if maybe the bulbs just need to be broken in. I hope maybe this one is just a dud and I can get a better one. I posted some pics, the light bleed in the photos looks slightly worse than in person but not by much. I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Seated in center

Seated to the left

Seated to the right

Standing in center
post #11 of 41 Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgioray View Post

Hi Weapon, I bought the 47CM565 this past week from Amazon. Before this I purchased the LED edgelit 47LM7600 and returned it 3 times due to backlight edgebleed. I couldn't stand the edgebleed in dark scenes or letterbox. I've always had pretty good screen uniformity with LG CCFL LCD's so I went ahead with the 47CM565 since it looked like my 32LK450 and I've gotten good screen uniformity and black levels with that one. I've had it for a week and the picture quality is amazing, very solid colors. Black levels are pretty good if you are seated directly in front of it and I can see a slight backlight bleed (clouding/blooming) in the upper and lower right corner but its not really distracting if your directly in front of the TV. However, there is a good amount of backlight bleed (that looks like clouding/blooming) if you slightly move off to the side or stand up, it makes blacks look really gray and it's mostly noticeable in dark scenes. I noticed you said that your model has some backlight bleed and that you managed to reduced it by adjusting your settings so I was curious to know how excessive your backlight bleed was, does it change significantly or extremely when you move off to the side a little or stand up? When I'm off to the side working on my PC, I can notice the middle of the screen horizontally is pretty good with black levels but the top and bottom looks gray from the backlight bleed. I know this is usually a con with LCD's but my previous LG's don't look like this so I'm wondering if I just got a bad panel or something. I can still return it and get another if I have to. I purchased the 47CM565 because I figured it would provide better screen uniformity then edgelit LED's and my 32LK450 and 47LG50 have pretty good uniformity and black levels but then again maybe those have different panels or something. Overall I'm happy with the TV and I'm still test driving it to see if maybe the bulbs just need to be broken in. I hope maybe this one is just a dud and I can get a better one. I posted some pics, the light bleed in the photos looks slightly worse than in person but not by much. I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Seated in center

Seated to the left

Seated to the right

Standing in center

Do you have the S-IPS panel? Because if you do, the washout in the vertical axis is normal and the 'backlight bleed' you see vertically or horizontally off-axis is also normal. What isn't normal is any flashlighting in the corners or clouding anywhere on the screen.

post #12 of 41 Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 PM

Hey thanks for your feedback! I'm not sure if I have the S-IPS panel, do you know any good way to find out? When you say the washout in the vertical vertical axis is normal, what do you mean? Sorry about that, I just want to make sure I understand clearly. Also, if you look at the first pic where I'm seated directly in front of the screen, there is a bit of blooming/clouding in the upper left corner. You said this is not normal right? Thanks.
post #13 of 41 Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey thanks for your feedback! I'm not sure if I have the S-IPS panel, do you know any good way to find out? When you say the washout in the vertical vertical axis is normal, what do you mean? Sorry about that, I just want to make sure I understand clearly. Also, if you look at the first pic where I'm seated directly in front of the screen, there is a bit of blooming/clouding in the upper left corner. You said this is not normal right? Thanks.

to check which panel you have look for a small red sticker on the right side of the TV... the fourth character in the product code should be a W or Y if you have the S-IPS panel (D for VA panel)

you can also do the smear test, which is when you lightly tap the screen with your finger and see if the screen glows for a second in that area; if it does you have a VA panel, not S-IPS (if it doesn't glow its S-IPS)

post #14 of 41 Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

example of product code:

47CM565-UB.AWMWLUR

post #15 of 41 Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Hey thanks again for your feedback Plasma! Looks like I got a S-IPS panel. I have a W in the fourth letter of the product code and I did the smear test. No glow. Thanks.
post #16 of 41 Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think so. If that pic is dead center there should be no brighter areas on the top and bottom right thirds of the screen. I also see some clouding in the third pic near the center.

post #17 of 41 Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM

I think I'm gonna request a replacement with Amazon. Hopefully I'll get a better one next time. About the S-IPS and VA panels, do you know the difference between them and which is usually superior? I'm assuming it's the S-IPS. Thanks for your help Plasma!
post #18 of 41 Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

The main advantage the VA panels will have is better black levels/contrast ratios. However, don't expect Samsung-like blacks/CR on LG sets with VA panels (A-MVA panels on LG's to be exact).

post #19 of 41 Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Thanks! I will check this out.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Ok so I did a lot of research and learned more about these panels and how they differ. Thanks for the info and link Plasma. I also looked at my other LG TV's and found different letters in the fourth character of the product codes. My 32LK450 (2011) has a D, so I guess it's a VA panel and I wonder if that's why I like the viewing angle on that one so much better. My 47LG50 (2008) has an H, so I'm not sure what that means but it too has a better viewing angle. When you move off to side with those displays, the only thing I notice is the black in some areas slightly changes to a bluish hue, but it's not that noticeable. On my CM565, the blacks on the upper and lower edges turn into a strong gray. So it looks like there's no real good way of telling before hand what type of panel I might get since LG seems to use different types of panels throughout various models. Ordering through Amazon doesn't make things easier either and even if you go into a retail store, I don't think the employees are gonna go through their entire stock for a specific character.
post #21 of 41 Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so I did a lot of research and learned more about these panels and how they differ. Thanks for the info and link Plasma. I also looked at my other LG TV's and found different letters in the fourth character of the product codes. My 32LK450 (2011) has a D, so I guess it's a VA panel and I wonder if that's why I like the viewing angle on that one so much better. My 47LG50 (2008) has an H, so I'm not sure what that means but it too has a better viewing angle. When you move off to side with those displays, the only thing I notice is the black in some areas slightly changes to a bluish hue, but it's not that noticeable. On my CM565, the blacks on the upper and lower edges turn into a strong gray. So it looks like there's no real good way of telling before hand what type of panel I might get since LG seems to use different types of panels throughout various models. Ordering through Amazon doesn't make things easier either and even if you go into a retail store, I don't think the employees are gonna go through their entire stock for a specific character.

S-IPS panels have wide viewing angles on the horizontal axis but poor viewing angles on the vertical axis. VA panels have worse viewing angles on the horizontal axis (narrow to moderate depending on the type of VA panel) but better viewing angles on the vertical axis. So, I'm not sure what you mean about the D panel (VA) having better viewing angles than the W (S-IPS). Maybe you have a H-IPS panel on the CM565? Do the pixels have a chevron shape (<<<<<<) up close (S-IPS)? or do they look more like rectangles (H-IPS)?

post #22 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Hi - is anyone using the optical digital out? I have the 47CM565 and I was hoping to get a Dolby Digital signal from the TV to my sound bar. When I come from the cable box, I get a DD signal fine. From the TV, it appears to be stereo (shows as Dolby PLIIx). I have several devices I would like to connect to the sound bar and would prefer to do it with the one connection. I'm hoping its just a setting as I see references to it processing DD signals as input (FWIW).
post #23 of 41 Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 AM

My 47cm565 outputs DD if I have the digital audio setting on "Auto". In addition, I have the other audio options turned off. If I switch it to "PCM" the receiver changes to PIIx. I have an onkyo receiver.
post #24 of 41 Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How's the overall motion performance and handling on these tvs? Anything like the issues noted here on the LG cs560s [link to video]?
post #25 of 41 Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Yeah I'm not sure what is going on but I know that the black levels on my 32LK450 do not wash out off axis as much as my 47CM565. I did the best I could to look at the pixels up close and I think they are chevron shape but I'm not 100% sure, it's hard to tell. Anyways I went ahead and kept the TV, I think the wash out off axis wasn't bad enough to the point where I wanted to return it, besides when I'm in front of it looks great and even when off axis it still looks very good. Overall I'm very happy with the TV and after 30 days I think it's picture quality and viewing angle has improved. I got the TV for $549.00 on Amazon.com and for the money it can't be beat. Thanks again for your feedback Plasma.
post #26 of 41 Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 PM

I just picked on up a few days ago. It is really nice. THe SD is okay at best. I was blown away by the quality of Blu-ray and HD. Even Netflix looks great. The 3D is very nice. The movies and video with the brighter colors really shine when using 3D. It has the ability to convert 2D to 3D, but to me it doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference. The settings out of the box were pretty good. I then tried out Weapon X's settings and it really sharpened up the picture. Overall I am very pleased with the TV and the ease of use.
post #27 of 41 Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Review: Just bought this model yesterday. They are going on sale right now for around $569 at various retail stores. I am very satisfied with the quality of the picture, color and response time. Overall a great TV that is not smart-enabled.

Problem: I bought it without a remote control and would like to use the 3D functionality, but can not find it in any menu system. I can get to the EZ ADJUST service menu by entering the code 0413. I do not see any option to toggle the 3D settings such as 2D to 3D, etc.

Prompt: Please help me toggle the 3D options without the use of the original remote by using the menu systems, if possible.

Thank you for reading and anytime you spend helping.
post #28 of 41 Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Tags added for users with similar issue:
Activate 3d in service menu. toggle 3d mode without remote. turn on 3d without 3d button on remote. hidden services menu for 3D in LG.
post #29 of 41 Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 AM

I just got this TV from Fry's and I think it's a great deal for the price. It's the first 3D TV I've used and I 'm a little confused about how to use it. I've got ESPN 3D and Xfinity 3D. When I go to those channels I then have to hit the 3D button and choose which format it uses (ESPN-Top/Bottom and Xfinity-Side/Side). Is there a "auto" setting where it just figures that out for you or do you need to do that every time you watch something in 3D?
post #30 of 41 Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 AM

Thinking about buying this tv. Has anyone noticed any judder or hitching? Does the motion seem pretty smooth in 2d and/or 3d?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47cm565 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page