post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752RABI
Quote:
Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

What happened? Did Panasonic release a broken TV? Is this the start of Panasonic-gate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 AM

I know the product was active yesterday evening since this tv is on my short list. The message that the posted is generic and gives several possible reasons. I don't think it is the description; I didn't spot anything wrong and if it was wrong, they are leaving their marketplace seller's exposed since you can still buy from one of them. It could be damage during shipping, but that seems unlikely too since Amazon uses the same method for all tvs, so I don't think that would be limited to this model. So, I suspect that it is inventory problems. They have been showing in-stock on the item; maybe as soon as you order the orders were being marked as back-ordered. It seems to only apply to the 47" size. The warning is still displayed for 42" and 55" but you can still order from Amazon. Has there been any indication of a Panasonic recall? I been watching this forum and Amazon feedback and I haven't seen new complaints that tvs are failing.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Based on the negative reviews and comments posted on amazon I would think it's due to the packaging. It's something I was concerned about when I had ordered mine.

Personally, I just got the 47" TC-L47E50 this week, bought from amazon (directly), and the packaging was fine, one small thin strip had broken off but it wasn't a critical piece. The remote had come loose but no apparenty damage to the box let alone the tv or remote. The UPS guy even talked about how there was no damage when I was looking at the box.

The display is straight and even, no apparent banding or being bent. I don't see any clouding or flashlighting while watching anything. I even looked at full screen images of complele black, grey and white backgrounds.

All four corners and the top/bottom middle have styrofoam protecting the display and keeping it in place. While they could possibly use more styrofoam, I say it's more about how the TV is shipped and handled that anything to do with the packaging. All the cushioning and packing material in the world cannot protect a large screen tv from accidents or wannabe basketball players. The corners as well as the top and botttom all have styrofoam pieces holding everything in place.

Mine was shipped using UPS 2 day delivery which was FREE for being a Prime Member and was shipped from a couple of states away.

If the boxes and tvs are getting banged around, then it's NOT going to matter who manufactered the set as the people "handling" and "shipping" the set will probably continue NOT being professional while transporting the set.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEdortheHighway View Post

Based on the negative reviews and comments posted on amazon I would think it's due to the packaging. It's something I was concerned about when I had ordered mine.
Personally, I just got the 47" this week, bought from amazon (directly), and the packaging was fine, one small thin strip had broken off but it wasn't a critical piece. The remote had come loose but no apparenty damage to the box let alone the tv or remote. The UPS guy even talked about how there was no damage when I was looking at the box.
While they could possibly use more styrofoam, I say it's more about how the TV is shipped and handled that anything to do with the packaging. All the cushioning and packing material in the world cannot protect a large screen tv from accidents or wannabe basketball players.

I could not agree more about the wannabe basketball player statement. It is one reason why I am alittle reculant to get tv from amazon. I have ordered alot of other things but never had a problem. But tv was alittle different. I mean it would kill me to have to ship a tv back to them, in time and effort this is all I am saying. I am not saying I would never order tv, Yes I would order one.

It also makes me wonder about buying a tv from a b&m store tv. No problems for me yet with store bought ones.Thus when I read about tv's being bad here I wonder whereever they got bought if someone was not messing around with the shipment just to have fun. Its the poor customer that winds up annoyed.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Did Amazon discontinue white glove delivery on big tvs? I had no idea that they were just sending as UPS packages. I ordered a 50" LCD from them a couple of years ago and the delivery was great. A truck with only tvs in it came to my house. It was not UPS or FedEx. The driver brought in the tv, put it on the stand, and turn it on before leaving. I can't imagine that a local store would be any better (although I do remember that my father had BB install a mount on the wall).
post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq_bob View Post

Did Amazon discontinue white glove delivery on big tvs? I had no idea that they were just sending as UPS packages. I ordered a 50" LCD from them a couple of years ago and the delivery was great. A truck with only tvs in it came to my house. It was not UPS or FedEx. The driver brought in the tv, put it on the stand, and turn it on before leaving. I can't imagine that a local store would be any better (although I do remember that my father had BB install a mount on the wall).

Four years ago I bought a Panasonic 37" from Amazon and it came with that white glove service that you described. It appears that these days UPS is in the mix. I have a tc-l42e50 "shipping soon" so it will be interesting to see how this guy arrives. I agree that shipping problems could be a part of the reason for this notice.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

Four years ago I bought a Panasonic 37" from Amazon and it came with that white glove service that you described. It appears that these days UPS is in the mix. I have a tc-l42e50 "shipping soon" so it will be interesting to see how this guy arrives. I agree that shipping problems could be a part of the reason for this notice.

Four plus years ago, TV's weighed a lot more and so did the packaging. The thickness of the tv's has gone down and so has the size of the packaging. 5 years ago my 40" CCFL LCD Sammy was delivered by a Trucking Company and came in a huge box with a lot of styrofoam. These days the edge lit models and even the backlit ones are a lot thinner and less packaging is used (styrofoam and cardboard).

Which is why a lot of the 47" and under LED TVs are being shipped using Fedex/UPS ground as their overall size is cut down considerably. I imagine it's a lot cheaper to use UPS/FEDEX Ground. Personally, it's faster and I didn't have to deal with scheduling an appointment, just followed the tracking # supplied by UPS.

The larger size tv's are still shipped Common Carrier Freight with optional "White Glover Delivery" and amazon easily lets you see this when they list "Carrior will contact you to arrange delivery" or "Schedule a shipping appointment" before you place an order.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 AM

The Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 is available again from Amazon. There is not any explanation as to why it was pulled for a few days.

I cannot find a description on Amazon of the delivery methods, but I did create a few different orders, aborting at the last step, to see if the shipping options change. It looks like 50" and above get the white glove delivery. So, the 42" and 47" would just be delivered by UPS while the 55" would be delivered with white glove service.

The funny thing is that last week before this happened, I had committed myself to purchase the 47" model on Sunday just to take advantage of a very small one day cash back offer from Discover, but once it had been pulled, I started looking at other retailers and tvs like the 55" LG 6700, so I am back to analysis paralysis. The cash back was so small, it really shouldn't matter to me. It was going to be a second tv for the kids who are too young to mind watching on an old 19" CRT anyway. I think the only reason I was going to make a purchase now was to avoid the 8.25% price increase that Amazon is going to apply TX residents on July 1.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM

The TC-L47E50 is also $10 cheaper than what they had it at before it was taken down. My set is working out great and I just submitted the low price guarantee. I don't see anybody else offering this for less overall. Add in the 3 points per $1 spent via the amaozn visa card I'm going to get an additional $22.47 back as amazon store credit.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Liked: 12
I had a TC-L42E50 delivered today by UPS, bought from Amazon. Package was in great shape. Everything fine. So now we enter the two weeks of adjustments while my wife glares at me. rolleyes.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page