Are there any LCDs that are actually worth $2K? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe its the nature of the site, but I've read every thread on any LCD I'd be intertested in, and I'm not talking about cheap midline models, and every damn one of them apparently sucks.

Can someone answer for me why it is that anyone lays out a couple of grand on what are apparently **** products?

What the hell people? If the product sucks this much, then stop buying until we get a better product from the manufacturer. If they are good products, then stop bitching. You can't view a damn TV in the store anymore so it's forums like these that one has to turn to for advice. Your advice is loud and clear. LCD sucks, plasma isn't much better, and DLP is dead. Or are you all full of it? Whiners? Getting a bad item in a flury of perfect sets? What gives?

Better yet. Tell me which 46/47" sets you think are best adn why. I'll take it from there.

More HD please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You're reading AVSForum. Opinions and experiences collected here are not representative of the experiences of normal consumers; those that post here nitpick and scrutinize every single detail of the sets they buy. In fact, people here pore over every inch of their set, seemingly trying to find a fault. While TVs today seem to be built to lower quality standards than TVs in past years, the complaints on AVS are only the complaints of a very small sample of the buying public. The majority of those who buy an expensive TV are too busy watching and enjoying it to bother posting about it on a message board.

If you're looking around a 46"/47" size, I think it's clear that the Sony XBR-46HX929 (46") is the best set available within your parameters, although pricing would hover slightly above your budget. It's the only full-array LED backlit TV with local dimming currently available in a 46" size, and one of the best-reviewed sets of the 2011-2012 model year. The only other TV that has a similar feature set is the LG 47LM9600, which doesn't seem to be available yet. It's a full-array set with local dimming as well, but seems to suffer from uncharacteristically poor black levels and a low LED zone count - almost every review from major electronics review publications seems to review it poorly. If you want the absolute best picture quality, the HX929 is your best bet.
John4721 likes this.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #3 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Like I said:

People who post here are pickier than the average consumer. People who have a bad experience with a product are also more likely to write about that bad experience online versus a good one. I can guarantee you that the majority of XBR owners 1) Don't even post here and 2) have no problems with their TV.

Really, if you're sensitive to inherent LCD problems like uniformity issues and banding, get a plasma. I'm pretty picky. I own a 46" Sharp LED-backlit LCD and had a 50" Panasonic plasma from two years ago. They both had issues that bugged me and could be considered defects. I just picked up a Panasonic VT50 a month ago and I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the picture quality.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #5 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

The problem with the Plasmas is size. It's killing me that I have only 42" of width to work with. Frustrating to be sure.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 185
42" width is killing you yet your asking, "Tell me which 46/47" sets you think are best adn why. I'll take it from there."??

You're gonna very quickly grow disenchanted with a 46/47" size upgrade as well.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy4 View Post

Maybe its the nature of the site, but I've read every thread on any LCD I'd be intertested in, and I'm not talking about cheap midline models, and every damn one of them apparently sucks.
Can someone answer for me why it is that anyone lays out a couple of grand on what are apparently **** products?
What the hell people? If the product sucks this much, then stop buying until we get a better product from the manufacturer. If they are good products, then stop bitching. You can't view a damn TV in the store anymore so it's forums like these that one has to turn to for advice. Your advice is loud and clear. LCD sucks, plasma isn't much better, and DLP is dead. Or are you all full of it? Whiners? Getting a bad item in a flury of perfect sets? What gives?
Better yet. Tell me which 46/47" sets you think are best adn why. I'll take it from there.

I don't think there are any TVs worth 2K. But then I don't watch as much TV as some folks around here. I bought my LG 47LD450 47" LCD TV nearly two years ago for $550. These days you should be able to find a TV in that price range watching for sales. I recommend staying away from the so called "smart" TVs that force you to rely on apps and software updates from the TV maker, and instead build a budget HTPC (media PC). My TV/HTPC combo came in at around $1000 total and has provided lots of bang for the buck - functionality and flexibility.

Regarding issues with TVs, although some griping in the forums might be considered nitpicking, unfortunately there are real problems that occur with TVs these days. For example, I bought a TV that made an annoying buzzing sound whenever the backlight was turned down from 100%. It also had significant white "flashlighting" in the corners that got worse as the TV heated up. I returned that TV and ended up with the mentioned LG. While the blacks aren't all that great on my budget LG model, at least the picture is uniform and it doesn’t do any weird stuff.

Yeah, sometimes reading the angst people have with their TV purchases, seems like there isn't much fun going on. I always try to keep in mind "everything you own in some way owns you". The angst shows the claim the TV has on the owner, and the higher prices tend to amplify any issues encountered.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

To say LCD sucks is absurd. Go to the Plasma threads and make the same remark about Plasma tvs, and they'll hang you out to dry.
John4721 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

42" width is killing you yet your asking, "Tell me which 46/47" sets you think are best adn why. I'll take it from there."??
You're gonna very quickly grow disenchanted with a 46/47" size upgrade as well.

I have a 46" DLP right now and a 46"/47" LCD fits, a 46/47 Plasma does not.

42" WIDTH! Not diagonal.

Not sure you understand the conversation.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM

I think what it comes down to is that the Plasma TVs will have less "issues" such as clouding, uniformity, vertical banding, motion issues, etc., but aside from those issues, I just don't think you get the amazing picture of an LED. I have a Samsung 65d8000 that looks phenomenal until the camera pans. When it pans, I see vertical lines on the screen that drive me nuts. I went to Best Buy today to look at the VT50 and other plasmas to possibly replace the LED, and although they won't have those issues, the picture just isn't the same. It's always a bit snowy, distorted, and not as "clear"/vivid as the LED TVs. People say the picture quality is better on Plasma TVs but I don't see that at all (I also have a Panasonic G10 in the bedroom). They (G10, VT50, etc.) look a bit washed out, have the constant snow, and just don't produce that crisp, clean image of an LED.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a 46" DLP right now and a 46"/47" LCD fits, a 46/47 Plasma does not.
42" WIDTH! Not diagonal.
Not sure you understand the conversation.

Yes, reading it the first time, I wasn't sure if you meant actual width or if you were using "width" incorrectly to mean the diagonal dimension of the picture.

Obviously a 46" LCD and a 46" plasma have exactly the same actual picture size. So your problem all comes down to the fact that there are more LCD options which have a narrow/small enough of a frame or bezel to allow them to fit your space while few (if any) plasmas offer a thin enough bezel in the 46" size, or any size for that matter. Too bad there are no 46" plasmas offered in the commercial/industrial sector of the plasma business (same panels but w/o speakers or tuner built-in), as these typically feature nice relatively narrow 1" type bezels. But they jump from 42" directly up to 50" or larger, with no 46" options.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Yes, reading it the first time, I wasn't sure if you meant actual width or if you were using "width" incorrectly to mean the diagonal dimension of the picture.

So you really think a guy that's been a member here as long as you have mixes up width of a set with diagonal? Seriously? rolleyes.gif

I was after this one, but it appears the 47 is not to be and the reviews of the larger model are a disaster...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lm9600/4505-6482_7-35123202.html

Really don't want to buy a Sony, got burned before. Might have to though. 929 seems to be the only thing out there that now fits the bill. The EH6070 from Samsugn might be a winner though, dont' need all the gadgets, juts want a backlit unit with nice inky blacks and no ghosting. I'd have ot see it first. Again, it goes back to the trashing of sets from reviewers.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you really think a guy that's been a member here as long as you have mixes up width of a set with diagonal? Seriously? rolleyes.gif

No comment. Good luck with your search. With your limitations, you're going to need it. biggrin.gif

post #14 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I think what it comes down to is that the Plasma TVs will have less "issues" such as clouding, uniformity, vertical banding, motion issues, etc., but aside from those issues, I just don't think you get the amazing picture of an LED. I have a Samsung 65d8000 that looks phenomenal until the camera pans. When it pans, I see vertical lines on the screen that drive me nuts. I went to Best Buy today to look at the VT50 and other plasmas to possibly replace the LED, and although they won't have those issues, the picture just isn't the same. It's always a bit snowy, distorted, and not as "clear"/vivid as the LED TVs. People say the picture quality is better on Plasma TVs but I don't see that at all (I also have a Panasonic G10 in the bedroom). They (G10, VT50, etc.) look a bit washed out, have the constant snow, and just don't produce that crisp, clean image of an LED.

absurd
post #15 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 AM

Liked: 35
Eventually someone will make an lcd that will result in an owners' thread with zero compliants, issues, returns etc. Not one defective set will be reported, or even damaged during shipping. It will be all things to all people, with a 100% consensus of satisfaction. We won't even argue whether or not it's "worth" $2k-

I figure That should happen next year. So just hang in there.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

Yes I aggree on most points you mentioned.
I also do not like Plasma Displays at all.
For me, it has the effect of looking at an old non-100Hz CRT! I can walk into a large store with a huge wall of Flatscreens and make out any Plasma on display. I am speaking for many others when stating, dispite the annoying issues that can be seen on many LCD's like clouding and banding or DSE, I would choose an LCD over a Plasma any day.
Just like I chose a Full-HD LCD Projector instead of a DLP. DLP has a terrible Rainbow-effect and just like with Plasmas, I dont understand why anybody would want one.
I have the Sony 55HX920 Full-Backlit-LED and the picture is a sensation! The only gripe I have with it, is some DSE-effect when the camera pans. Everything else is pure perfection.
The day will come for the PERFECT TV.. And I have a feeling OLED will deliver exactly that when it becomes affordable. And hopefully, this will also be the death of Plasma.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page