Official LGxxLM9600 owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 381 Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, just snagged a 55" for $1300. I felt that this was easily one of the most solid LED sets I looked at, top to bottom. EVERY set had flaws of some sort, and I think part of it may have been that I just got tired of looking. I actually preferred this to the Samsung 7100 (the other major contender) from a number of perspectives, not the least of which being off-angle viewing. I also prefer the LG 3-D solution. The other option was plasma (Panasonic ST60) but it feel out of contention for a number of reasons. In the $1300-1400 price range, I'm not sure that I could have done better, but I could have absolutely done worse.

Again, for the money, I think I did OK. I just hope I don't end up hating it ( I can return it if that is the case, but I like bargains smile.gif) I got a 4-year warranty on it - I'm usually not a warranty guy, but it was calculated off of the price and ended up being pretty cheap insurance. I didi the same on my DLP set 8+ years ago and it ended up being a wise investment (paid for itself twice).

Shame this thread is almost dead now, but thats what I get for buying last years model. There seems to be enough info here and elsewhere to keep me going; I want to calibrate with WOW just for the experience of doing it. I will report back here with my findings on the chance that someone else stumbles across one of these cheap smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 381 Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Liked: 13
Picked this up over the weekend at my initial impressions are:

- Gorgeous color. This is consistent with many of the online reviews I've read. I've only been using the standard modes at the moment, and a couple aren't bad. I did Tweak standard a little and it looks pretty good. The two THX modes are actually pretty good as well as long as the room is dark. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (Blue-Ray stream) and was pretty impressed. Watching Blue-Ray Skyfall right now and am even more impressed. This is the thing that really got me in the store, and it's even better at home.

- Screen does have some reflectivity. More than I was expecting durring the day. Not horrible, but not as nice as, say, the Panasonic ST60 that I also considered.

- Black levels seem really good when I'm not staring at an all-black screen and looking for issues. I don't see much in the way of flash-lighting and the black bars in 16:9 mode are not distracting. If I set the screen to all black, I don;t get plasma black, but it's not terrible. In movies, so far blacks are BLACK. I was impressed by a scene in Skyfall where M is standing in a dark-ish room wearing a black suit and I could make out every button distinctly (and it's hard to stare at Judy Dench for that long without feeling a little creepy, so give me some credit...).

- Great motion - I'm NOT anything like an expert, but I don't see the anomalies some others do with LED. Everything seems smooth/fluid to me. Again, it's not Plasma, but I'm not seeing any issues.

- Have not tested 3-D yet...

- Game mode is pretty much mandatory. I ran F1 2010 (racing sim) on my PS3 through standard mode, and it felt like there were molasses in the racing wheel I was using. Not "unplayable" but not entirely pleasant either. When I switched to game mode it felt normal to me, but the larger screen and increased detail kind of freaked me out at little. I need to test a few more games over the next couple of days to see how I really feel about it (GT5, Air Combat, Ratchet and Clank).

So far, so good. I still have a lot of testing to do over the next few days. Again, I realize that this is a dead thread, but with the deals out there on these sets, I still feel it's worth it to provide some feedback. I got a lot from this forum and feel like I should at least attempt to give something back, even if it is feeble and misinformed smile.gif
post #363 of 381 Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

*Here's a THX Picture Unlock tip;

Purchase a regular LG remote control like (AKB72914050) as pictured above (eBay).

Press Menu > Picture > And Highlight THX Cinema or THX Bright Room in Red > Now press code 8741 from the remote controls keypad.

THX has to be highlighted in Red while already selected and sitting in the Picture menu, not while in the picture mode selection drop down box.

This will unlock the locked out THX picture settings so you can tweak them if needed. I found this very useful in tweaking "Tint" when watching Comcast Movies channels that were not broadcasting the original color correctly. Same for DVD & Blu Rays. Just zero the "Tint" etc, other tweaked settings back out to where they were when your done watching.
Hi, could you post the default THX cinema, THX bright room, THX 3D values, please?
post #364 of 381 Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, I need help.

I just got my 55LM9600 from Abesofmain a week ago. As soon as I took it out of the box, I noticed a grayed area, of about 1 inch diameter, on the center top of the screen. It is there always and can be distinguished on solid colors.

I went back to the store and tried to exchange it but they refused and said my only option is to go to LG warranty. I can't believe they advertise "30 days satisfaction warranty" on Abe’s of main website -if they exclude from this almost all they sell like TVs.

Contacted LG and they sent a service guy which confirmed what I thought -the display is defective. The service guy said the screen has to be replaced.

I have been back and forth with LG since I don’t want a repaired TV, this is an unused brand new TV and replacing the screen is a major fix. I fear that the TV won’t be the same as new after the repair. LG has come with all sorts of excuses and rules, and the only option they offer is to repair it.

Please give some advice, what you think of the spot, to me looks like Mura defect.
Do you know how can I proceed to force them to give me another new TV?
post #365 of 381 Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafah View Post

Hi, I need help.

I just got my 55LM9600 from Abesofmain a week ago. As soon as I took it out of the box, I noticed a grayed area, of about 1 inch diameter, on the center top of the screen. It is there always and can be distinguished on solid colors.

I went back to the store and tried to exchange it but they refused and said my only option is to go to LG warranty. I can't believe they advertise "30 days satisfaction warranty" on Abe’s of main website -if they exclude from this almost all they sell like TVs.

Contacted LG and they sent a service guy which confirmed what I thought -the display is defective. The service guy said the screen has to be replaced.

I have been back and forth with LG since I don’t want a repaired TV, this is an unused brand new TV and replacing the screen is a major fix. I fear that the TV won’t be the same as new after the repair. LG has come with all sorts of excuses and rules, and the only option they offer is to repair it.

Please give some advice, what you think of the spot, to me looks like Mura defect.
First, what is there return policy? Did you buy local or have it shipped? I think it all comes down to the wording on the return policy.

As for LG, I think the only thing they would do is repair the part and not just offer a new TV but I could be wrong.
post #366 of 381 Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Hi Eric3316,
I did buy local, at their show room. And there is no return policy on the receipt but in the website.
They offer 30 days money back satisfaction warranty. But when you come to the details then they have a big list where exclude almost all the products they sell.
Right, LG is only offering repair trough a 3rd party.
post #367 of 381 Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 AM

I guess I don't have many options.
post #368 of 381 Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafah View Post

Hi, I need help.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.........After reading this and hearing experiences of others I know in the past, one thing I can say, and this is for everyone......ABE'S OF MAINE IS BAD NEWS.....They aren't even located in Maine. Last I knew they were on Coney Island Ave. in Brooklyn NY. A real fly by night operation. Sorry to say the cheapest price isn't always the best deal. Good luck to you in resolving this issue.......
post #369 of 381 Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy in NY View Post

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.........After reading this and hearing experiences of others I know in the past, one thing I can say, and this is for everyone......ABE'S OF MAINE IS BAD NEWS.....They aren't even located in Maine. Last I knew they were on Coney Island Ave. in Brooklyn NY. A real fly by night operation. Sorry to say the cheapest price isn't always the best deal. Good luck to you in resolving this issue.......[/quot

Interesting. The last major electronic store I remember on coney Island Ave was Crazy Eddie! Um.
post #370 of 381 Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM

Hello rafah,

I had the same issue and followed the same process through LG as you have. I had my unit serviced by an LG certified technician and it has been working great since. They basically replaced the entire TV minus the circuit boards. Can't guarantee you the same experience, but it was worthwhile for me.
post #371 of 381 Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM

The abesofmain store is located now in NJ.
Well, I will go for the LG warranty and tell you later the result.
Thank you guys.
post #372 of 381 Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 PM

Could you help me

i have a lm9600 a cant modify LED Local Dimming

By default is low and cant change it

I dont know why

thanks
post #373 of 381 Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM

Hi. I have an LG 55LM9600 TV hooked up via HDMI to an LG BH9520TW home theater system.

Here's the trouble . I have a couple of 3D movies on an external hard drive, which used to play perfectly when I'd connect said hard drive to the home theater system. The TV would either automatically detect 3D content and switch to full-screen 3D, or I'd have to press the 3D button on the TV remote -- this would bring up a "Set 3D video" menu that would let me select the 3D viewing mode -- side-by-side, top/bottom, interlaced, etc.

Lately, however, these same movies can only be played in side-by-side format. Pressing the 3D button on the TV remote doesn't merge the images -- instead I get two images both playing in 3D split down the middle. It's as if the only thing that's happening is a 2D-to-3D conversion. 3D content from Blu-ray discs plays perfectly, however.

What's worse is that the "Set 3D video" menu doesn't appear any more. The TV just says "3D is on. Please put on your 3D glasses." or something of the sort.

How do I get the 3D video menu back? I know it's not an issue with the HDMI cable because it's the one that came with the home theater, and 3D content used to play just fine before (3D discs still play properly.) I'd be massively grateful if someone could help. Thanks a ton!
post #374 of 381 Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

Hi, could you post the default THX cinema, THX bright room, THX 3D values, please?

Hi, i cannot, as I got rid of this TV for a 60" Samsung ES8000... I could not take the bright spots in all four corners.. I tried several of these LM9600 55" sets and all of them had the same issue. Plus one of the firmware upgrades removed "Off" from the "LED Local Dimming" setting.. I originally had Off, Low, Med, High.. After the update I was left with Low, Med, High... No more Off so I couldn't calibrate it anymore.
post #375 of 381 Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormageddon View Post

Hi. I have an LG 55LM9600 TV hooked up via HDMI to an LG BH9520TW home theater system.

Here's the trouble . I have a couple of 3D movies on an external hard drive, which used to play perfectly when I'd connect said hard drive to the home theater system. The TV would either automatically detect 3D content and switch to full-screen 3D, or I'd have to press the 3D button on the TV remote -- this would bring up a "Set 3D video" menu that would let me select the 3D viewing mode -- side-by-side, top/bottom, interlaced, etc.

Lately, however, these same movies can only be played in side-by-side format. Pressing the 3D button on the TV remote doesn't merge the images -- instead I get two images both playing in 3D split down the middle. It's as if the only thing that's happening is a 2D-to-3D conversion. 3D content from Blu-ray discs plays perfectly, however.

What's worse is that the "Set 3D video" menu doesn't appear any more. The TV just says "3D is on. Please put on your 3D glasses." or something of the sort.

How do I get the 3D video menu back? I know it's not an issue with the HDMI cable because it's the one that came with the home theater, and 3D content used to play just fine before (3D discs still play properly.) I'd be massively grateful if someone could help. Thanks a ton!

The TV has an "Automatic 3D detection" mode, sounds like it is on for you. You might want to try with this setting set to off. I don't remember where exactly in the menu this settting is located, I think it is somewhere in the picture settings of the main menu (not the menu that is available when you play a movie from a hard-disk).
post #376 of 381 Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can someone please share the THX modes, I would like to put them in the expert mode of another LM model, thanks..smile.gif
post #377 of 381 Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrand View Post

The TV has an "Automatic 3D detection" mode, sounds like it is on for you. You might want to try with this setting set to off. I don't remember where exactly in the menu this settting is located, I think it is somewhere in the picture settings of the main menu (not the menu that is available when you play a movie from a hard-disk).

Hello i have same problem.

Hi. I have an LG 47LW5500 TV hooked up via HDMI to an LG BH9520TW home theater system.

Last week everything works OK .... when i want show movies in side-by-side format. Pressing the 3D button on the TV remote works ok and i got 3D content.

Hovewer this week i have problem .... it doesn't merge the images -- instead I get two images both playing in 3D split down the middle. It's as if the only thing that's happening is a 2D-to-3D conversion. From 4/5 3D modes changed menu only to one choice .... and i dont know why?

How do I get the 3D video menu back? Thanks a ton!
post #378 of 381 Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 PM

I have tried a lm7600 and es8000 and hated both. I currently have an LG 47LH90 too.thanks 2.gif
post #379 of 381 Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM

""""""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""

oh i got solution. On all periphery (xbox, blue-ray) have to be set 1080p resolution ... then is 3D menu back ....
post #380 of 381 Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM

Does anyone know if the new firmware update 06.00.05 does anything more than change the way the tv uploads 'user tracking and usage data' to LG?
post #381 of 381 Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 PM

So now we have another update .06.00.11, but no details. Anyone know anything about this one?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm9600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page