Official LGxxLM9600 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 381 Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HuNan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that there some owners, start telling us your experiences and concerns.
HuNan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 381 Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HuNan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beuller, Beuller?
HuNan is offline  
post #3 of 381 Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed LG has an updated firmware for the LM9600 on their website. Anyone know about it and what it might be updating? Anyone try installing it yet?
LM9600 Firmware Update
Luigo is offline  
post #4 of 381 Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Newbie
 
lithium2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe the firmware update will address the 24p issue?
lithium2k is offline  
post #5 of 381 Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Newbie
 
lithium2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Luigo how well do you like the set? I have tried a lm7600 and es8000 and hated both. I currently have an LG 47LH90.
lithium2k is offline  
post #6 of 381 Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium2k View Post

Luigo how well do you like the set? I have tried a lm7600 and es8000 and hated both. I currently have an LG 47LH90.

I have had it a little over a week now and I love it so far. I just recently bought my first Blu-ray player so I can't say how well that works yet. But, after calibrating the TV according to the review here I am very happy with the picture quality. Colors really stick out and the clarity is very nice. The 3D looks awesome to me and shows that were made in 3D have good depth. I am no expert when it comes to calibrating newer TVs so there may be a better option and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I paid $2449 at greystone Appliance for this set and other places have it around that price right now. I noticed they go out of stock quick so people are buying the set. I think what I paid for it was worth the price. I was use to my old 46" Samsung DLP so this is a big upgrade for me.

I also sent an email to LG asking about the software update and that my TV did not show an update was available, but their web site did. I have ver. 03.01.42 on my TV and the update on the web site is ver. 03.01.50.
Here was their reply: "Basically, if your TV is still working fine, I would suggest not to download the software update. Since your TV does not detect this software update, it will be safer not to download it as of the moment."

No mention of what the update might be correcting.
Luigo is offline  
post #7 of 381 Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone let us know if the 24p issue was resolved? Is an update coming soon? Also, those who own this set already, can you tell me if certain viewing angles still priovde a decent picture? For example, viewing the the tv from the floor, when you have it mounted over the fireplace. I currently have a Panasonic 50 inch GT30 that I have over the fireplace. I can tell you that I don't lose picture quality, even from the kitchen, which is about 18 ft from the family room. My daugter can lay on the couch or on the floor and still enjoy a tv program without losing the quality of the picture.
Audio5oh is offline  
post #8 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 AM
Newbie
 
Cal132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

A UK user here looking into buying the LM960V as it is named over here, (your LM9600) but have been made weary due to the 1080p24fps bug that has been mentioned numerous times, I only use my TV's for blu ray movies. I have just been in a live chat session with LG customer services and Calum, my point of contact, said that the 1080p24fps issue has been fixed in the UK, he could not comment on sets in other countries. Here is the chat so you can see for yourselves:

Time of chat: 7/16/2012 9:36:15 AM
Length of chat: 00:17:11
Your name: Callum Alexander
Chatted with: TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support

9:36 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Hello, Callum Alexander. Can I help you with anything today?

9:36 AM Callum Alexander: Hi

9:37 AM Callum Alexander: I have been reading about your LM960V television and have noticed many peope complaining about an issue with it not being able to play back 1080p24fps material without motion blur

9:37 AM Callum Alexander: is this a problem that can be fixed, or are the TV's faulty?

9:38 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: There has been an update released for this.

9:38 AM Callum Alexander: Can you confirm that the problem has been fixed? And please, before you comment further, know that I will be posting my findings on forums and printing a copy off for myself.

9:40 AM Callum Alexander: So can you confirm that the update you say has been released has actually fixed the motion blurring when playing back 1080p24fps content?

9:42 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Bare with me and I'll see if I can get the details.

9:42 AM Callum Alexander: Thank you.

9:47 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Alright, I can confirm that a recent update has correct this.

9:48 AM Callum Alexander: Can you please confirm which regions the set has been corrected in?

9:48 AM Callum Alexander: Are they the UK sets that have been fixed, or has every set been fixed?

9:48 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: I don't have that information, we are the UK support team so as far a we know the UK models have been updated.

9:49 AM Callum Alexander: Thank you, that is brilliant news.

9:50 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: No worries, is there anything else I can help you with?

9:50 AM Callum Alexander: Yes, could I please have your name? So I know who has been so helpful.

9:51 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Of course my name is Calum and I'm part of the TV and Media support team.

9:52 AM Callum Alexander: I am Callum too, although with two L's

9:52 AM Callum Alexander: Thank you for your help. And no, there is nothing else you can help me with. Thank you again.

9:52 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: You're welcome. If you have any future queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. Following this chat there is a short survey that will allow you to rate the Live Chat service you have received today. We appreciate all feed back given. Thank you for choosing LG, and have a nice day.

9:53 AM Callum Alexander: You have a nice day too.

Please note that I have not tried this in person though, I did make my request very clear and unless I have been lied to, the problem has been fixed. Just thought I would share the good news! biggrin.gif
Cal132 is offline  
post #9 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stopped by the Magnolia section of a local Best Buy yesterday. They had the 9600 on display sitting just beneath a Sony HX929 and they were playing what looked like the same Avatar feed on each. The salesman said both sets were in their movie setting, not demo mode. Room lighting was like my room at home in the evening.

I stood there for awhile going back and forth between those two sets. I tried to position my head vertically to have the same vertical viewing angle for each set.

I would rate them equal for resolution, and I think they were very similar if not the same for dark area information. I had a hard time telling if there were any differences in black level, but that may have been related to the one big difference I did see- the colors on the LG were noticeably better to me. The Sony was subdued and muted compared to the LG which had richer, more vibrant color, but not overdone.

Given what I saw yesterday, I would choose the LG 9600 over the Sony 929.

For new 9600 owners, did you compare the 9600 to other sets before deciding to purchase the LG?

Thanks
Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #10 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope LG was able to fix the 24p problem. I now have a Blu-ray player and will be watching Blu-ray movies for the first time. I did notice the software update on LG's Canada web site as well which actually lists what TV models it is for. The US site lists the software update, but not the models although I am sure it is the same update. I put in a question about it on their web site and what it fixes, so I hope they answer it.

As far as comparing TVs, I did look at different models in Best Buy and the LM9600 looked better to me compared to the Sony and Samsung they had on display in the Magnolia room. I also compared how 3D looked and didn't notice much difference at all. It helped me decide which TV I wanted to purchase plus the passive 3D was a deciding factor with the lightweight and cheaper glasses. I am happy with my purchase so far.

If you use the calibrations at Flatpanels HD review, I found that turning Tru Motion off with the backlight set around 45-50 gave me the best results. So far the PQ has been amazing and I like the 3D quality.
Luigo is offline  
post #11 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal132 View Post

Hi,
A UK user here looking into buying the LM960V as it is named over here, (your LM9600) but have been made weary due to the 1080p24fps bug that has been mentioned numerous times, I only use my TV's for blu ray movies. I have just been in a live chat session with LG customer services and Calum, my point of contact, said that the 1080p24fps issue has been fixed in the UK, he could not comment on sets in other countries. Here is the chat so you can see for yourselves:
Time of chat: 7/16/2012 9:36:15 AM
Length of chat: 00:17:11
Your name: Callum Alexander
Chatted with: TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support

9:36 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Hello, Callum Alexander. Can I help you with anything today?
9:36 AM Callum Alexander: Hi

9:37 AM Callum Alexander: I have been reading about your LM960V television and have noticed many peope complaining about an issue with it not being able to play back 1080p24fps material without motion blur
9:37 AM Callum Alexander: is this a problem that can be fixed, or are the TV's faulty?
9:38 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: There has been an update released for this.
9:38 AM Callum Alexander: Can you confirm that the problem has been fixed? And please, before you comment further, know that I will be posting my findings on forums and printing a copy off for myself.
9:40 AM Callum Alexander: So can you confirm that the update you say has been released has actually fixed the motion blurring when playing back 1080p24fps content?

9:42 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Bare with me and I'll see if I can get the details.
9:42 AM Callum Alexander: Thank you.
9:47 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Alright, I can confirm that a recent update has correct this.
9:48 AM Callum Alexander: Can you please confirm which regions the set has been corrected in?
9:48 AM Callum Alexander: Are they the UK sets that have been fixed, or has every set been fixed?
9:48 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: I don't have that information, we are the UK support team so as far a we know the UK models have been updated.

9:49 AM Callum Alexander: Thank you, that is brilliant news.
9:50 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: No worries, is there anything else I can help you with?
9:50 AM Callum Alexander: Yes, could I please have your name? So I know who has been so helpful.
9:51 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: Of course my name is Calum and I'm part of the TV and Media support team.
9:52 AM Callum Alexander: I am Callum too, although with two L's
9:52 AM Callum Alexander: Thank you for your help. And no, there is nothing else you can help me with. Thank you again.
9:52 AM TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support: You're welcome. If you have any future queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. Following this chat there is a short survey that will allow you to rate the Live Chat service you have received today. We appreciate all feed back given. Thank you for choosing LG, and have a nice day.
9:53 AM Callum Alexander: You have a nice day too.
Please note that I have not tried this in person though, I did make my request very clear and unless I have been lied to, the problem has been fixed. Just thought I would share the good news! biggrin.gif

Well that's good news for folks in the U.K., glad to hear that. Now I hope they release a firmware update soon for North American owners. If the 24p issue is fixed, I will more than likely buy the 9600. Anyone want to comment on the viewing angles I mentioned earlier?
Audio5oh is offline  
post #12 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Well that's good news for folks in the U.K., glad to hear that. Now I hope they release a firmware update soon for North American owners. If the 24p issue is fixed, I will more than likely buy the 9600. Anyone want to comment on the viewing angles I mentioned earlier?

I have noticed good viewing angles both horizontal and vertical. The picture still looks colorful and clear to me as far as I can tell. I have my TV on it's stand at eye level when sitting on the couch. When I stand up it still looks awesome. I have a good view when standing in my kitchen which is about 15-20 feet away and it still looks good. I have also read one review where they state the extreme horizontal viewing angles when wacthing 3D is not the greatest, but 2D looks good yet side views were fine either way.

Can't wall mounts tilt a TV slightly downward when mounted, so good angles can be achieved for most situations? I don't know since I have never had a TV mounted to a wall.
Luigo is offline  
post #13 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Luigo,
Thank you for that. Other than the issue with the 24p, are you happy with your set? Reason I want this set is the very thin bezel which to me looks so attractive and appears as if there really isn't a bezel at all. Plus, I can barely squeeze this tv in my custom built-it, which is over my fireplace, where as 4 years ago, I could only fit a 46 inch LCD because of the thick bezels. If you already read the review from AVF of the Samsung UN55ES8000, they claim that the tv is made to be watched at dead center. They warn that if you watch the tv from any other angle, the colors and blacks begin to wash out. AVF claims the same is true if you stand up and looked down at the 55ES8000. This is something I don't want. I hope the 9600 will not disapoint. I have no choice but to place it over the fireplace, so I am not at eye level. Also, I really don't have the option to mount it on the wall due to the limited space.
Audio5oh is offline  
post #14 of 381 Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Member
 
teamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Corolla, NC
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio5oh

My 55lm9600 is mounted over my fireplace in a recessed area on an articulating mount with 3" clearance on all sides. Its center is 69" above the floor. It is viewed from 10' away on a 144" sofa with seats 20" high and 6 across. There is no problem viewing 2d material from almost any angle - colors stay deep and picture is clear. 3d is perfect from any seat on the sofa, and anyone on the bar stools behind it. The mount could be tilted down but is not because 3d is good up to about 40 degrees up viewing angle. Off angle level viewing is almost as good as 2d - great color, no crosstalk. Tilting my head has no effect on 3d.

You will not be able to use the down firing audio in your recess -Audio is OK if I pull the tv out beyond the mantle, but awful in the recess. So plan on a sound system.

I'm very satisfied with this set - it looks great over the mantle. I planned and built the recess 9 YEARS ago with the goal being to eventually have a 50" tv with 3" spaces around the tv - thanks to LG I got the space with a few extra inches of picture.

Don't you love it when plans work out!
teamw is offline  
post #15 of 381 Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The size of this unit was one of the deciding factors for me. Have a custom cabinet in our family room. Never thought I could get. 55" TV in it! SJ
SJHT is offline  
post #16 of 381 Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone using the LG apps? Netflix and YouTube stop working after 30 min or less and reboot the TV. LG support told me initialize the premium apps, but after doing this it still stops and reboots. I can't watch one streamed show without restarting. SJ
SJHT is offline  
post #17 of 381 Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Anyone using the LG apps? Netflix and YouTube stop working after 30 min or less and reboot the TV. LG support told me initialize the premium apps, but after doing this it still stops and reboots. I can't watch one streamed show without restarting. SJ

I wish I could answer that for you, I don't own the set...yet. I had no idea the apps were a problem. I'm just hoping LG releases a firmware update for the 24p issue, then maybe I'll buy this set. Let us know if you get your issue fixed.
Audio5oh is offline  
post #18 of 381 Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Anyone using the LG apps? Netflix and YouTube stop working after 30 min or less and reboot the TV. LG support told me initialize the premium apps, but after doing this it still stops and reboots. I can't watch one streamed show without restarting. SJ
I have been using NETFLIX a few times and have not noticed any problems. I've watched both movies and TV shows just fine. Maybe try installing the latest software update LG has on their web site?
Luigo is offline  
post #19 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Rob423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moved into my new house, Waiting for the flooring to be installed this Thursday and Friday, Walls are spackled and prepped. I just received my monoprice order of some audio goodies! Once I run all the cables I will be purchasing the LM9600 with an upgraded Def Tech Set. I currently have the promedia 1000 setup in excellent condition that I will be looking to unload. I will be switching to SR8040's, 8040st Towers, and a Yamaha rx-V673. Can't wait to post pics.
Rob423 is offline  
post #20 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
24p issue fixed yet? Any rumors on a firmware update?
Audio5oh is offline  
post #21 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

24p issue fixed yet? Any rumors on a firmware update?

I asked a question on LGs web site about the 03.01.50 software update they list on their support page.
Here is my question: "I noticed there is a software update for the LM9600 on your web site, ver. 03.01.50. My 55LM9600 has version 03.01.42. What does software update 03.01.50 fix?"

Here is the reply they gave: "We appreciate your interest in this television and its updates. This latest update, version 03.01.50, is a firmware update to smooth operations. If there has been no trouble experienced with your TV, then there would be no reason to use the update."

What the "smooth operations" is they are referring to I don't know, but maybe the 24p issue was one of them? Has anyone that has noticed the 24p problem tried installing the update to see if it fixes it?
I do not have a Blu-ray disc to check it out yet. Maybe I will try installing this software update if/when I get something to play that has this problem.

Here's hoping someone can give us an update.
Luigo is offline  
post #22 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Member
 
cMotz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was on amazon.com looking at tv's. I was looking at the 7600 and I started reading customer reviews.

"***Critical Review Update-7-14-2012***
I am posting this at the top of my review to make sure it is seen. The very latest firmware update available for this LG TV has addressed a great many shortcomings, both large and small, in regard to picture quality. The two most noticeable and important are as follows:
The much talked about 24fps bug is fixed. The 7600 now displays 24fps from your Blu Ray player with ease and provides silky smooth motion on horizontal pans with no blurring. Even watching a mediocre transfer the motion handling is as good as being at the movies now. The better the transfer and the more horizontal motion, the more you will notice the improvement. It is MAJOR!
ALSO it appears to my eyes that the algorithms used in the local dimming function have been rewritten or augmented and take this LG quite a long way towards eliminating vertical banding. (although some discs have banding of their own) As soon as I updated the TV 2 days ago, the difference was immediately noticeable and a welcome sight!
ALSO: Dirty Screen Effect appears to also be greatly reduced and my slight corner flashlighting is almost completely gone. ALL THIS FROM JUST UPDATING to the latest firmware update!
If I could give a number to it, I would say the overall picture quality has been improved by a good 25 to 30% and it was VERY good to start with. HATS OFF TO THE ENGINEEERS AT LG! End of update*************"

I stole this section from the top review. Does anyone know if it applies to the 9600? The only reason I didn't buy a 9600 a few weeks ago was because of the 24fps motion blur effect. Plus the high input lag noted from flatpanelsHD. Can anyone verify this? I do play a bunch of PS3 and Xbox so knowing this stuff is fixed would probably push me over the edge to buy one.
cMotz is offline  
post #23 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I contacted LG today via e-mail to ask if a firmware update was released to fix the 24p issue on the 9600 model only. A couple of hours later I got an immediate response, which to me doesn't sound too convincing. Here's LG's response;


"Thank you for contacting LG Electronics USA. I am delighted to hear from you as our valued customer and I will be glad to answer your concern. We recently released a firmware wherein you can turn on/off the TruMotion option. Well, the TV is only depending on the source. Most cases, the issue is with the source and not with the TV. So yes, that TV is great and you don’t need to think twice purchasing our product. I hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you need more assistance, you may click on the link below for support options. I hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you need more assistance, you may click on the link below for support options".

http://www.lg.com/us/support

Thank you for choosing LG! Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Helena
LG Email Support



What the heck does the TruMotion have anything to do with it? I'm confused. So this lady is trying to say that turning this option OFF will eliminate motion blur? You would think that leaving it ON should eliminate motion blur even further. After all, I thought the TruMotion 480Hz technology was the selling point of this top of the line model. What do you guys think, is this lady full of it?
Audio5oh is offline  
post #24 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
JoeSony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

I contacted LG today via e-mail to ask if a firmware update was released to fix the 24p issue on the 9600 model only. A couple of hours later I got an immediate response, which to me doesn't sound too convincing. Here's LG's response;
"Thank you for contacting LG Electronics USA. I am delighted to hear from you as our valued customer and I will be glad to answer your concern. We recently released a firmware wherein you can turn on/off the TruMotion option. Well, the TV is only depending on the source. Most cases, the issue is with the source and not with the TV. So yes, that TV is great and you don’t need to think twice purchasing our product. I hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you need more assistance, you may click on the link below for support options. I hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you need more assistance, you may click on the link below for support options".
http://www.lg.com/us/support
Thank you for choosing LG! Have a nice day!
Sincerely,
Helena
LG Email Support
What the heck does the TruMotion have anything to do with it? I'm confused. So this lady is trying to say that turning this option OFF will eliminate motion blur? You would think that leaving it ON should eliminate motion blur even further. After all, I thought the TruMotion 480Hz technology was the selling point of this top of the line model. What do you guys think, is this lady full of it?

I would be surprised if anyone at LG customer support would admit to a problem with the 24p issue. They might open themselves to liability problem from current owners. Hopefully, Flatpaneslhd or some other testing review could verify if the firmware updated corrected it.
JoeSony is online now  
post #25 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

I contacted LG today via e-mail to ask if a firmware update was released to fix the 24p issue on the 9600 model only. A couple of hours later I got an immediate response, which to me doesn't sound too convincing. Here's LG's response;
"Thank you for contacting LG Electronics USA. I am delighted to hear from you as our valued customer and I will be glad to answer your concern. We recently released a firmware wherein you can turn on/off the TruMotion option. Well, the TV is only depending on the source. Most cases, the issue is with the source and not with the TV. So yes, that TV is great and you don’t need to think twice purchasing our product. I hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you need more assistance, you may click on the link below for support options. I hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you need more assistance, you may click on the link below for support options".
http://www.lg.com/us/support
Thank you for choosing LG! Have a nice day!
Sincerely,
Helena
LG Email Support
What the heck does the TruMotion have anything to do with it? I'm confused. So this lady is trying to say that turning this option OFF will eliminate motion blur? You would think that leaving it ON should eliminate motion blur even further. After all, I thought the TruMotion 480Hz technology was the selling point of this top of the line model. What do you guys think, is this lady full of it?

I can't see the latest LM9600 firmware having anything to do with being able to turn TruMotion ON or OFF since you could do that anyways. It looks like the customer support person is just giving an answer without really knowing what model they are talking about. Most of the time they do not really know about the technical side of things if you ask me. The TruMotion setting the rep is referring to may be for the LM7600 and lower models. The latest firmware on that site mentions it added the TruMotion setting menu. The LM8600 and LM9600 already had it so obviously the support rep was confused.

I emailed them asking about the LM9600 update and got an answer similar to the answer I got on LGs support website for the LM9600. The email answer I got didn't say what the software update fixed, but at least the answer on the web site mentioned it "is a firmware update to smooth operations".

The only true way to know if it fixes the 24p issue is to have someone update to the latest firmware. I think I will go ahead and do that this week and see if some of the video issues I noticed before I calibrated the TV are better or not. Some of the things I noticed were with the TV setup out of the box, but once I calibrated it the picture looked awesome. I will have to get a Blu-ray movie to check the 24p issue. I'll let you know what I find out. It may take me a couple days, but I will try and do it.
Luigo is offline  
post #26 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cMotz View Post

I was on amazon.com looking at tv's. I was looking at the 7600 and I started reading customer reviews.
"***Critical Review Update-7-14-2012***
I am posting this at the top of my review to make sure it is seen. The very latest firmware update available for this LG TV has addressed a great many shortcomings, both large and small, in regard to picture quality. The two most noticeable and important are as follows:
The much talked about 24fps bug is fixed. The 7600 now displays 24fps from your Blu Ray player with ease and provides silky smooth motion on horizontal pans with no blurring. Even watching a mediocre transfer the motion handling is as good as being at the movies now. The better the transfer and the more horizontal motion, the more you will notice the improvement. It is MAJOR!
ALSO it appears to my eyes that the algorithms used in the local dimming function have been rewritten or augmented and take this LG quite a long way towards eliminating vertical banding. (although some discs have banding of their own) As soon as I updated the TV 2 days ago, the difference was immediately noticeable and a welcome sight!
ALSO: Dirty Screen Effect appears to also be greatly reduced and my slight corner flashlighting is almost completely gone. ALL THIS FROM JUST UPDATING to the latest firmware update!
If I could give a number to it, I would say the overall picture quality has been improved by a good 25 to 30% and it was VERY good to start with. HATS OFF TO THE ENGINEEERS AT LG! End of update*************"
I stole this section from the top review. Does anyone know if it applies to the 9600? The only reason I didn't buy a 9600 a few weeks ago was because of the 24fps motion blur effect. Plus the high input lag noted from flatpanelsHD. Can anyone verify this? I do play a bunch of PS3 and Xbox so knowing this stuff is fixed would probably push me over the edge to buy one.

The LM7600 has a different firmware than the LM8600 and LM9600. I would be curious to see if the update for the LM8600/LM9600 models does in fact fix the 24p issue since it was released not long after the update for the LM7600.
Luigo is offline  
post #27 of 381 Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
boxorox87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cMotz View Post

I was on amazon.com looking at tv's. I was looking at the 7600 and I started reading customer reviews.
"***Critical Review Update-7-14-2012***
I am posting this at the top of my review to make sure it is seen. The very latest firmware update available for this LG TV has addressed a great many shortcomings, both large and small, in regard to picture quality. The two most noticeable and important are as follows:
The much talked about 24fps bug is fixed. The 7600 now displays 24fps from your Blu Ray player with ease and provides silky smooth motion on horizontal pans with no blurring. Even watching a mediocre transfer the motion handling is as good as being at the movies now. The better the transfer and the more horizontal motion, the more you will notice the improvement. It is MAJOR!
ALSO it appears to my eyes that the algorithms used in the local dimming function have been rewritten or augmented and take this LG quite a long way towards eliminating vertical banding. (although some discs have banding of their own) As soon as I updated the TV 2 days ago, the difference was immediately noticeable and a welcome sight!
ALSO: Dirty Screen Effect appears to also be greatly reduced and my slight corner flashlighting is almost completely gone. ALL THIS FROM JUST UPDATING to the latest firmware update!
If I could give a number to it, I would say the overall picture quality has been improved by a good 25 to 30% and it was VERY good to start with. HATS OFF TO THE ENGINEEERS AT LG! End of update*************"
I stole this section from the top review. Does anyone know if it applies to the 9600? The only reason I didn't buy a 9600 a few weeks ago was because of the 24fps motion blur effect. Plus the high input lag noted from flatpanelsHD. Can anyone verify this? I do play a bunch of PS3 and Xbox so knowing this stuff is fixed would probably push me over the edge to buy one.

I bought the LM8600. I love it, for watching anything. It is absolutely beautiful. However, I am a video gamer first and foremost. If I had realized the input lag issues with this TV, model, LED technology....I would have shopped a lot longer. I don't know if it can or will be eliminated or reduced, but it is driving me absolutely insane. I cannot believe that engineers have let it become so bad. I hold out hope that someone will come up with a fix/work-around/firmware update.......but my hope is dimming. I have start watching other forums and shopping for a lag free TV. I will soon have 2 TVs in my family room.
boxorox87 is offline  
post #28 of 381 Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigo View Post

The LM7600 has a different firmware than the LM8600 and LM9600. I would be curious to see if the update for the LM8600/LM9600 models does in fact fix the 24p issue since it was released not long after the update for the LM7600.

Thanks for bringing that up, I assumed firmware was identical for both the 7600 and 9600. I also agree that the support rep did not have a clue what model tv I was referring to. I'd appreciate it if you can tell us if you see a significant difference with 24p content after you perform the latest update.
Audio5oh is offline  
post #29 of 381 Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Luigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so far I have updated to software ver. 03.01.50 without any problems and am awaiting a Blu-ray disc to play.
But now it keeps telling me there is a newer update available when I tried to play a couple of apps like NETFLIX. I went to the Software Update menu and sure enough it says ver 04.02.84 is available to download. I am not sure if I should update to this as well or not. They do not list this update on their web site, but I did notice in the LM8600 owners thread that those that updated to ver. 03.01.50 also got this new update message. I think once you update to 03.01.50 it has you update to 04.02.84 next. I have a message in to LG about it to make sure before I update again.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Luigo is offline  
post #30 of 381 Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I updated to 04.02.84 today. I noticed minimal blur before and will see how things are now. SJ
SJHT is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm9600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off