LG 55LM7600 - Flashlighting/Bleeding - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just purchased an LG 55" LED 3D TV. It is awesum with one major exception the flashlighting/LED bleeding is awful. I have spoken to LG and they tell me that it is normal and within specs. I have just moved over from a 50" Samsung Plasma which was a great unit. Am i being too picky or is this much worse than it should be ??? It is actually much worse than it shows in the pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IMO it is only normal because nobody want to build a TV the right way anymore...Seems like TV's are more about features more then build quality these days other wise we wouldn't be complaining like we all do...If you really think and look back about 10-15 years ago there was alot less tv problems, I got a 36" tube tv in my kids room and at times I wonder where did it all go wrong never not one problem besides the weight:D
post #3 of 23 Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I agree !!! The new technology is great, its the manufacturing in this case that I consider not to be up to scratch.
post #4 of 23 Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM

There have been reports of the flashlighting being caused by screws being to tight around the frames.

DO NOT REMOVE THE BACK!!! You will void warranty. Just loosen the screws on the sides with the bad flashlighting which seems to be all 4 corners.

***The top left corner does not seem so bad, but the other 3 are pretty bad.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Looks horrible IMHO but its a panel lottery anyway.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

Looks horrible IMHO but its a panel lottery anyway.

I went through 2 55lm7600 units and just could not live with the PQ in a dim evening room. OP, you came from the plasma world. You will never be happy with the LM7600 unless you only use it durring the bright daytime hours. I have gone to the plasma world (Pany 60GT50) and found total satisfaction. I can't believe how much better the PQ of plasma is over edge-lit LED.

Edge-lit LED was a step backward in PQ. Back-lit LED was a step up from CCFL lit sets but its more expensive to manufacture so they went cheap and gave us edge-lighting. The LM7600 is a perfect showcase for all the flaws of the technology. Its amazing that LG was able to produce such a beautiful form while crippling its function. For me (90 % of viewing after 6 PM) the LM7600 was a very poor choice because of the aweful black-level, pathetic off-axis viewing angle, DSE, horribly non-uniform screen, and of course the flashlights along the top and in the corners.

I tried the screw adjustments; had ZERO effect. And even if it had helped the flashlights, nothing else would have improved. The entire idea of buying a new TV then taking it apart, messaging the entire panel, then reassembling it and hoping you haven't severly damage it or caused micro-fatigue / fracture in the transistor layerof the panel is ludicrous.

Unless you are watching 90% of your TV under intense room / sun lighting, go back to plasma. You will be glad you did ! If you want to stay with LCD then I suggest looking at Samsung. Their PQ is better than LG (better black level, better contrast because of the black-level, and better color "pop" also because of the black-level) but you still have the issues with edge-lighting.
nerftoe likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Liked: 11
I recently got Sharp 60LE640U and there is no flashlighting or clouding at all. There is a bit of DSE on the bottom corners but it is not visible under normal viewing conditions. Before that I had Sharp 60LE632U that had some flashlgting on the top and Sharp swapped it to the newer 640 model under warranty.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

I recently got Sharp 60LE640U and there is no flashlighting or clouding at all. There is a bit of DSE on the bottom corners but it is not visible under normal viewing conditions. Before that I had Sharp 60LE632U that had some flashlgting on the top and Sharp swapped it to the newer 640 model under warranty.

Pics or it didn't happen.

In regards to all others who are complaining of this phenomena happening on edge-lit sets: It is inherent in the tech, will not go away, and exists across the board on ALL edge-lit led sets. It honestly doesn't look that bad on yours but not for me.

I can't understand how so many people frequent these forums and still do not know that this issue occurs.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Hi all! Just got my 7600 today. Took less than 30mins to setup. I have been reading all of the complaints about bleeding, flashlighting
and millions of peope asking for "the settings". Mine setup easy, no flashlighting no ghosts because I knew what I was doing!!

The settings take a little education. I think there is a lot of people in here who dont there their .... from a hole in the ground.!

The easiest setting is to put he unit on "standard" and lower the brightness, and the contrast, and KEEP IT!

Its not rocket science, and this is my 6th flat panel TV. There appears to be a lot of "juniors" in this forum who start monkeying around with the unit
and then forget what their original settings were.

contact me if you need help!
post #10 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 AM

I just returned a 55lm7600 this week because one of the top LEDs was bright enough to see a difference in normal viewing. I have also tried a es8000 which had worse issues.
The wife noticed the issues with both sets as well, so it was not just my being over critical. It amazes me that none of these new TVs can give me the same consistent picture that my 3yr old 47LH90 can. I am getting to the point of trying plasma or calling it quits until OLED prices drop.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM

I also just purchased the lm7600 and the pq to me is not as good as my Samsung. When watching 3d the picture is awesome, when going to the apps menu the picture is crystal clear and very bright. Once back to regular viewing the quality is not there anymore. Does anyone have suggested settings. I have tried so many that I plan on jut returning probably for the samsing 7100. I really would like to give this another chance though, I'm just t a loss as to why 3d and app pge is so bright but not regular viewing.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Try watching it in "standar view". Then keep adjusting your contrast and brightness down if its to bright. Right out of the box the unit is in Cinema View which is darker. If standard view works for you
and you adjust it too your eyes, there is no need to fool around with more precise tuning.
My unit is excellent, and it beats my Sony Bravia in clarity and blackness.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM

Lg has no quality checks. I bought 55LW5700 in Aug,2012 which had huge backlight bleeding. I claimed refund & returned it. Then, I tried 55LM7600. It had same problem & it was even bigger.

Please keep away from LG as life is not good if you buy LG products.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Has anyone had positive results of getting the flashlighting issue fixed by having the tv calibrated professionally?!? It's funny that I go into any TV store and none of their LG TV's (same model) have any flashlighting issues on dark scenes in movies....

When I approached a rep at BestBuy advising them I want to return the tv, because this is my 2nd LG TV where I have this issue and wanted to see if they can exchange it for the same model, they told me I needed to have it calibrated professionally. Now, I know most of that is a bunch of bull butter, but with all the tvs I saw with dark scenes, not one had flashlighting issues. Has anyone had any success with the flashlighting being corrected by having it calibrated?!?
post #15 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRest View Post

Has anyone had positive results of getting the flashlighting issue fixed by having the tv calibrated professionally?!? It's funny that I go into any TV store and none of their LG TV's (same model) have any flashlighting issues on dark scenes in movies....

When I approached a rep at BestBuy advising them I want to return the tv, because this is my 2nd LG TV where I have this issue and wanted to see if they can exchange it for the same model, they told me I needed to have it calibrated professionally. Now, I know most of that is a bunch of bull butter, but with all the tvs I saw with dark scenes, not one had flashlighting issues. Has anyone had any success with the flashlighting being corrected by having it calibrated?!?

Calibration won't fix it. I had my Sharp calibrated professionally and it didn't affect the clouding, however mine wasn't too bad. I turned the backlighting down and it reduced what I had significantly. If you google "LCD clouding" there are some other suggestions including turning off the TV and wiping the screen with a soft cloth.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM

It is a panal lottery, i'm on my third lg 55. The first two were the 7600 and paid 1700 buckaroos, took them both back cause the bleeding or flashlight were tuuurable in the upper left side and on the whole top, even in normal bright displays. So I stepped down to the 6700 which is 120hz and the picture is stunning, a little bleeding in the upper left corner but you really have to look at it in dark sceens. IT IS A PANAL LOTTERY!!!!! It's your money, take that **** back if you're not intamate with it.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked: 14
You may want to give the 60LM7200 a chance; same specs, just not as slim.

Insert pithy comment here
post #18 of 23 Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRest View Post

Has anyone had any success with the flashlighting being corrected by having it calibrated?!?

Didn't get mine calibrated but here are a couple of pics in a completely dark room. Mine's a LM7200 but still edge-lit LED so relevant to the broader discussion on all edge-lit tech.

Insert pithy comment here
post #19 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
this how my 55lm8600 looks in the dark. the side UWA.jpg 1581k .jpg file lobes of light , light bleedings, or whatever you call it is shining through the screen. i don't think calibrating would help resolving the light bleedings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UWA.jpg (1.54 MB, 68 views)
post #20 of 23 Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Got my 55LM7600 a few weeks ago.. BEAUTIFUL tv and picture but the freakin bleeding... It bothers me more and more.. Sucks when watching a widescreen movie with the bars and my eyes are just drawn / forced to look into the corner to see the friggin white "bleed".. Drives me nuts..

I purchased mine from alltimetvs.com so I can't just take it back like some have said they've done.. So is LG really no help with this issue? I mean some have it BAD, some have it WORSE, and some barely have it..
post #21 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM

If you loosen the screws on the top of the TV (across the top on the back of the set), the "bleeding of the light" will significantly be reduced! I did it and it works! Just leave them loose.
post #22 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM

If you loosen the screws on the top of the TV (across the top on the back of the set), the "bleeding of the light" will significantly be reduced! I did it and it works! Just leave them loose.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 45
My set was ISF professionally calibrated and PQ is awesome. I don't have the light bleeding on my set. But that was my 4th set until i got a good one.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page