Samsung UN55ES6500 LED TV - digital noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello new to the Forum, i just recently set up my Samsung UN55ES6500 LED TV and had some questions, im hoping some of the more experienced members could provide some insight.

First let me say that i was going to buy a Samsung Plasma, but the lure of a New LED with thin profile, bezel and brighter picture in addition to the 55" size won me over. They don't make a 55" plasma currently.

Im no video expert, but i work in the AV industry and have seen my fair share of top end projectors, flat panels etc.so I know a good picture when i see it,

My sources are Optimum cable & Blu Ray DVD - I noticed the colors are very deep & rich and the black levels are definitely better than last years models. But the one thing that's driving me crazy is the digital noise on background scenes (especially dark) or even in the movement of people. Now I realize that my source is a contributing factor as well as the technology of the TV itself.

My question is
1. Can i or should i use any of the digital filters on the TV and will they help?
2. Will the smaller 50" plasma yield the same results? Its been a while and not many stores even have the 7000 or 8000 plasma on display.
3. Is my TV not calibrated to its fullest potential ? (the set up disc is on its way.)
4. Is standard cable that bad and is Fios that much better?

Any suggestions and help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Sounds like overcompression that unfortunately is used by some cable systems.
Compare with a high quality video source like a good Blu-Ray to verify its the cable signal.
Also try for comparison over the air HD channels using the built-in tuner with an antenna if possible.

How do you find the UN55ES6500 viewing in the dark with nearly black screens? Do you see any flashlighting with a reduced backlight setting?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed, I actually removed one of the cable splitters in the line and it drastically reduced the digital noise and cleaned up the image. Blu Ray looks pretty good but thats only a small percentage of my regular viewing.

The black levels are pretty good so far, like i said i haven't done a full calibration yet.

I actually compared the plasma to the LED at Best Buy and the Plasma has a slightly more accurate picture but way dimmer and doesn't Pop like the LED does. I know that neither one is calibrated at all and the signal are modulated through coax cable - so even that is a tough comparison.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Update: Returning the TV for a Panasonic GT50 55"
post #5 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM

Just curious why you are switching to the GT50. I've been debating the two sets for a while too. I guess the problems didn't get any better?
Curious to know how you fare with the GT50
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting you switched from an ES6500 LED to a GT50 plasma.
I have a ST50 plasma and was considering switching to a Samsung 50" or 55" ES6500 LED.
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side? wink.gif
post #7 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted a plasma from the beginning, but i was looking at the Samsung's and didn't even consider the Panasonic - not realizing its strong picture quality and large following. Samsung didn't have a 55" plasma so i decided to go with the LED which was brighter and better blacks than last years 2011 Samsung (they still are).

Don't get me wrong the Samsung has a nice picture, but I know the plasma will have much more accurate color & black.
The Samsung LED does have quite a bit of digital nosie (partially the cable signal), some hot spots and already has a pixel out.

Hopefully have a better experience with the Panasonic.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I would stick with the ST50 ive also read great things about it. Why were you considering the switch?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djny78 View Post

I would stick with the ST50 ive also read great things about it. Why were you considering the switch?
I have a one year old Samsung LCD (a cheap small 32" model) in another smaller room that has excellent blacks and picture quality.
The ST50 indeed has darker blacks, but the Samsung LCD was good in that area as well and its not edgelit LED so no flashlighting or clouding.
So I was hoping a larger LED model with 3D capability and internet apps could be as good as that Samsung LCD then I would consider it. Would really like not having to worry about IR on the plasma.

But many have posted about the edgelit LED models like the ES6500 and the more expensive ES7100-ES8000 have flashlighting/clouding in dark environment on dark/black scenes, so the plasmas like the ST50 are superior in that area.
For now I'm sticking with the 50ST50 since its a great bargain - $400 less than the UN55ES6500 (though that is a 5" larger display)
The lower power of the LED models and no ABL (full or mostly white screens remains bright) would be an advantage however.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM

so how did the ST do with light in the room? this is my biggest sticking point of getting it
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page