LED/LCD to Replace VT50 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Have to say that this is one of the best "plasma vs lcd" threads I've seen in a long while, with good examples of pros and cons for both technologies. My personal option, and I don't claim it to be anything but that, is that the drawbacks of plasma TVs for "common people" are quite often overlooked and that many owners of plasma TVs seem to be kind of stuck in the emperor's new clothes tale (only seeing what they want to see).

Don't get me wrong here, there are many really good plasma TVs out there, and the VT50 is probably the best of them, and it is really good, but it isn't perfect. For movie watching in a completely dark room it is probably the best TV, even though both the HX929 and the Sharp Elite can give it a tough fight, but for multipurpose viewing I would be more hesitant to give it the crown. Especially if you don't handle it and take care of it like the new baby in the house.

I am quite certain that if a LCD had, for example the same problem with IR as the VT50, it would be seen as a huge problem by many reviewers, even the same reviewers who wouldn't even mention it in a review of a high end plasma. Just look at how many reviews doesn't even mention it, even though I believe that anyone that has spent more than 30 minutes with a VT50 must have seen it.

Again, these are my personal options, they are not facts, and I respect if anyone thinks differently. I don't claim to have "the answer", just "my answer". All TVs mentioned in this thread are great TVs, all have the strengths and weaknesses. But no one is perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
I am quite certain that if a LCD had, for example the same problem with IR as the VT50, it would be seen as a huge problem by many reviewers, even the same reviewers who wouldn't even mention it in a review of a high end plasma. Just look at how many reviews doesn't even mention it, even though I believe that anyone that has spent more than 30 minutes with a VT50 must have seen it.

So long as plasma holds even a slight advantage over lcd in motion handling, screen uniformity, viewing angles, shadow detail, etc. then all non pq issues about them will be minimized in pro reviews. Even though abl & ir can arguably affect pq pretty directly. Maybe just as annoying to some as blooming, flashlighting, clouding, soe, etc.

just have to pick which technologies set of +/-'s best suit your needs, then fight to the death on the internet about it, touting the strenghts while claimng the weaknesses are a "...NON ISSUE SO MOVE ON & quit trolling the __ forum & go back to the __ forum if you don't like it. And quit stating youropinions as facts! mad.gif "
Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eijaoaes View Post

I should add that my '08 plasma has always been in 1:1 pixel mapping mode (HD size 2) and even so, IR is a non-issue in terms of the risk of getting burn-in.log

Glad for you, but not sure what it has to do with this discussion? I also have a Pioneer plasma from 2008 and have been running it in "torch mode" the last years hooked up to my HTPC, and see no IR or burn in on it besides very temporary IR. I for one thought that the problems with IR and burn in was almost gone, but they seem to have reappeared this year with the Panasonics, even though Samsung seem to be less affected. My guess is that it has to do with Panasonic pushing the brightness this year. This is confirmed by CNET and their "accidental burn in test"

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 AM

Liked: 10
Ok I gotta stick up for the ol LCD screens here,
I have a 4 year old, 42 inch, off brand(Proscan) LCD, The picture quality is great dispite only being a 1080i(unusable basically for PC use in 1080i due to flicker), my TV looks great from any angle unless you are sitting beside the TV(which would make it impossible to see but whatever.) My Whites are absolutely blinding with Brightness and contrast set to 45. My TV has a SEVERE image persistence problem(for an lcd nothing compared to what happens with plasma.) If a static image was displayed on my TV for 24 hours I might have Image persistence problems for a week tops. 6 hours with a logo displayed and it is still there 6 MONTHS later. Why the heck would anybody buy plasma when you spend more time worrying about what is on screen and being in the right modes then you do enjoying your TV? My image persistence problems cause me a lot of annoyance dispite the fact that I know they will be TEMPORARY, I can't imagine the stress and annoyance that could come from knowing one mistake could damage my set forever. Slightly better(supposedly) image quality isn't worth having to baby the set.

not to mention a like size LCD uses somewhere between a quarter and a fifth of the energy of a plasma.

Plasma owners enjoy your damaged screens and $1000 dollar electric bills.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Frommelt View Post

Ok I gotta stick up for the ol LCD screens here,
I have a 4 year old, 42 inch, off brand(Proscan) LCD, The picture quality is great dispite only being a 1080i(unusable basically for PC use in 1080i due to flicker), my TV looks great from any angle unless you are sitting beside the TV(which would make it impossible to see but whatever.) My Whites are absolutely blinding with Brightness and contrast set to 45. My TV has a SEVERE image persistence problem(for an lcd nothing compared to what happens with plasma.) If a static image was displayed on my TV for 24 hours I might have Image persistence problems for a week tops. 6 hours with a logo displayed and it is still there 6 MONTHS later. Why the heck would anybody buy plasma when you spend more time worrying about what is on screen and being in the right modes then you do enjoying your TV? My image persistence problems cause me a lot of annoyance dispite the fact that I know they will be TEMPORARY, I can't imagine the stress and annoyance that could come from knowing one mistake could damage my set forever. Slightly better(supposedly) image quality isn't worth having to baby the set.
not to mention a like size LCD uses somewhere between a quarter and a fifth of the energy of a plasma.
Plasma owners enjoy your damaged screens and $1000 dollar electric bills.

The electric bill argument doesn't really work when you are considering an LCD that has "equal" picture quality to a plasma as the LCD is generally $1000+ more expensive to begin with.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

The electric bill argument doesn't really work when you are considering an LCD that has "equal" picture quality to a plasma as the LCD is generally $1000+ more expensive to begin with.

Well, I believe that the cost of energy is perhaps the smallest problem (at least with today's energy prices, might be a different story in 10 years). To me, the heat produced and "environmental conscience" are bigger concerns.