Sony Bravia LCD TV stuck in Standby mode - no help from Sony Support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our 2 yrs old pressed few buttons on Sony TV remote and that's how the TV ended up in stand-by mode and can't get out of it.

We bought this Sony LCD TV for $1500 and it stopped working in 3 yrs there is no option to re-boot the TV and get out of standby mode this is a defect I can't believe Sony didn't plan to fix such a common issue which can happen to anyone with kids.

We also have a Sony 12 yrs old Triniton Wega TV still in our bedroom working reliably so when we bought this new Sony TV may be our expectations were high BUT 3 yrs is very disappointing life for such money we paid to buy this TV - I talked to my friend who also bought same TV and Sony repaired their TVs defective BU Board free but too me they want to charge full- service amount and no replacement is offered.

I have Sony camcorders/camera/dvd-home-theater and they all work fine just because of this TV & the service call experience I would have to think again before buying or recommending Sony again.

Thank you,
TV Model: KDL-46Z4100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger004 View Post

Our 2 yrs old pressed few buttons on Sony TV remote and that's how the TV ended up in stand-by mode and can't get out of it.

We bought this Sony LCD TV for $1500 and it stopped working in 3 yrs there is no option to re-boot the TV and get out of standby mode this is a defect I can't believe Sony didn't plan to fix such a common issue which can happen to anyone with kids.

Thank you,
TV Model: KDL-46Z4100

I had to read your instruction manual to know what you were talking about. The standby light on a TV is new to me. The instruction manual states that if the standby light is on steady then perhaps the TV is in the PC mode?

Go to the side of the TV and use the input button or home button and see if you can get out of the PC mode. That will bypass the remote control.

If the standy light is flashing, then there is a problem with the TV according to the manual.

Read page 57 at the bottom of the page to learn the procedure on how to reset the TV to factory settings. You need to activate both the power button on the side of the TV along with hitting a specific button on the remote control to do a reset.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40Z4100.pdf

If you did not buy an extended warranty, then you have to pay for repairs. However, I doubt that anyone (even a two year old) can damage a television by use of the remote control.

Do you have a PC connected to the TV via the PC input?

Also, watch out for weak batteries in the remote control.

Let me know what you find!
post #3 of 23 Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments !

It's interesting that you say about 2 yr old kid - they can do a lot more then QA teams can ever imagine :-) the TV was working perfectly in front of my eyes my 2 yrs old grabbed the Sony TV remote pressed all buttons he can and TV picture was gone his job done and mine started

The TV is out since last 10 days and I have spent more then 30 hrs trying to research/re-set fix this problem. The stand-by light is not blinking it's Fixed red the No-Pic/Timer light is blinking orange.

The manual does state it as computer input which I read on day-1, have tried connecting to computer as well no-luck re-start tv/computer in every order possible TV screen stays black/gray/green tried almost every suggestion on web and spend good time with sony support no help - Sony wants $600 dollars.

When the TV goes in stand-by mode it will not take any other order that how they coded/firmware - so it's interesting there is no way to re-set/re-initialize Sony TV, can't imagine Sony never planned for any such incident and now they won't help customer's with such defects - I am ready to pay for parts or resonable amount but not what they want to charge full-price.
post #4 of 23 Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if this will work on your older Sony tv, but the newer sets can be reset to factory condition by doing the following:

1. Unplug tv from wall for a couple of minutes.Then plug it back in.
2. While holding down the arrow up button on the remote press and hold the power button on the tv itself for a few seconds. You will see reset appear on the screen if it is successful.

I don't know if this will work on your particular set but it worked for me when I had to reset my newer Sony tv.
Best of luck to you.

R. B.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

good pointers but

1. unplug didn't help
2. holding down up arrow and trying to power-down on TV button doesn't work. No response from TV. If I release up-arrow then power button on TV works

so in standby mode TV will not respond to any remote keys - Sony should have planned for a re-set process and they should help out in such buggy issues

in addition to trying to connect my computer, I downloaded the latest Sony patch on USB and tried to use that hoping that a update will force re-set but in Standby mode it appears that it reads the USB but does nothing after that AS my USB-light stays on even after a day so such debug has been going on for weeks now from my side

Really bad programming by Sony, I bought this TV and paid premium price hoping they have learned from decades of domain expertise&research but they are in bigger mess with such planning
post #6 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the comments !

It's interesting that you say about 2 yr old kid - they can do a lot more then QA teams can ever imagine :-) the TV was working perfectly in front of my eyes my 2 yrs old grabbed the Sony TV remote pressed all buttons he can and TV picture was gone his job done and mine started

The TV is out since last 10 days and I have spent more then 30 hrs trying to research/re-set fix this problem. The stand-by light is not blinking it's Fixed red the No-Pic/Timer light is blinking orange.

The manual does state it as computer input which I read on day-1, have tried connecting to computer as well no-luck re-start tv/computer in every order possible TV screen stays black/gray/green tried almost every suggestion on web and spend good time with sony support no help - Sony wants $600 dollars.

When the TV goes in stand-by mode it will not take any other order that how they coded/firmware - so it's interesting there is no way to re-set/re-initialize Sony TV, can't imagine Sony never planned for any such incident and now they won't help customer's with such defects - I am ready to pay for parts or resonable amount but not what they want to charge full-price.

I would try to unplug everything from the television, and repeat everything that you already tried after leaving the television unplugged from the 110 VAC power overnight. Do you have an internet connection made direct to the LAN input?

The blinking orange light is mentioned in the link below. It says that blinking light means an update is in progress?

From the Sony link below:

" If you have a TV connected to an active high-speed Internet connection, an amber (orange) LED will blink On and Off when the TV is receiving a software update. Software updates are provided to improve the performance of your TV. Please do not turn off or remove the AC power during the software update. The TV will not respond to the remote control during the update."

The USB firmware update should have done something. The USB update procedure seems easy.

Quote from the link below:

"I formatted the stick fat32, and powered down the unit, and when I powered it up with the downloaded firmware on a simple 8 gig stick, formatted fat 32, it went into a flash cycle with LED's blinking colors on the front pannel I didn't know existed!

It downloaded and rebooted and installed the new firmware and I ended up with: "HO-F-QN-B-CR" "

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1345989/sony-kdl-46vl160-costco-re-branded-forced-firmware-update-success

Is your USB device noted on the Sony list in the link below?

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL46Z4100&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=howto#/howtoTab
post #7 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are a gambler and have an idea on how to swap out a board, this may help you out. Don't wait too long because it is a BUY IT NOW listing.

Unplug the TV, and remove the back of the television to see how much work is involved with the board exchange of you want to try this.

Not sure which board you need. Ask the person who listed the boards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-KDL-46Z4100-Main-Logic-Board-1-876-561-13-/120932230446?pt=US_TV_Boards_Parts_Components&hash=item1c281f652e
post #8 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

J_Palmer_Cass, thanks so much - will try explore this route and let you know If I have any success. I haven't done any electronics fixing my-self but it's never late to try out and much better then giving Sony additional 600 bucks - will never recommend Sony for such poor quality its a reversal from what they use to be 10 yrs back
post #9 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

See if you can get into the On Screen diagnostic screen and see what defects are listed. Make sure that you do not erase/clear the trouble codes, just look at them.

http://monitor.espec.ws/files/sony_blink_codes_203.pdf

Sony Blinking Codes

Many of the later model Sony TV's have a built in Self- Diagnosis function. If
the timer/standby indicator is blinking, this could be an indication of the
problem with the unit. The diagnostic blinking will occur automatically with no
action required by you to engage it.

The timing of the blinking you see would be as follows: two to eight blinks
(depending on the fault) about a third of a second apart, then pauses for 3
seconds, then the two to eight blinks about a third of a second apart again.

Here is a list of the problems that might have occurred indicated by the
number of blinks. The words in parentheses are those which you will see for
each of these faults on a diagnosis screen described later in this article.

Unit is dead and there are no blinks---Problem in the standby power
section. Might check fuse, R607, Q601, IC601, R612 and VDR601 (should
show open)

Continuous Blink Once A Second, No Pausing As Discussed Above---
No reply from the jungle IC301 (data bus is busy, shorted to ground or held
high), IK video path is defective.

ONE Blink--- not used for the self-diagnosis

TWO Blinks---B+ over current protection (OCP) , unit goes to the standby
mode then displays the 2 blink fault. Could be a short in the power supply of
any of the circuits.

THREE Blinks---B+ over voltage protection (OVP), unit goes to the standby
mode then displays the 3 blink fault. This is also a problem in the power
supply circuit, check T603 and R672.

FOUR Blinks---No Vert. Deflection (V STOP), Screen goes to a single
horizontal line then the video signal muted. Check IC1509, Q1505

FIVE Blinks---AKB circuit (AKB), the timer/standby indicator blinks for about
30 seconds then goes to the self-diagnosis function. Something is wrong with
the video. Check video out, Q705, 732, 761 and other components on the C
board, also check Q218, 219, 220 on the A board. Also unit be in IK blanking,
try turning up screen slightly.

SIX Blinks---No Horizontal (H STOP), no raster, goes to the blinking selfdiagnosis
function immediately. Check C515 & 516 and the jungle IC, IC206.

SEVEN Blinks---High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k
and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply
regulation and horizontal circuits.

EIGHT Blinks---Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and
blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401 and 402.

Intermittent problems ?? This is a great feature. You can also bring up
these fault codes ON-SCREEN to see a list of the problem numbers with the
abbreviation of the problem and the number of times this problem has
occurred. This is slightly different than entering the service mode. To see the
diagnostic screen, Press the following buttons:

Power to TV OFF, Display, 5, Vol Minus, ( Not plus ) then Power. or Power to TV OFF, Display, 5, then Power.

This brings up a screen with a list of the problems and number of times they have occurred.
Each of the problem names is abbreviated as, "OCP", "OVP", "V STOP", ETC.
We have repeated them in parentheses in the text for the "Blinks" described
above so you can correlate between the diagnostic screen and the blink
codes.

So, now that you know about these self-diagnostics, how do you use them?
Say that you have a set with a black screen. You see that the LED is blinking
4 times....This would tell you that you have no vertical and that is why the
video is muted. If it was blinking 6 times, you would know that you have a
horizontal fault.

It's not a sure cure, but it's a little better than a poke in the eye with a sharp
stick.

IMPORTANT: after you repair the unit, PLEASE clear the values on this
diagnostic screen. These codes do not reset themselves after the fault is
corrected, so if you don't clear them, you'll be seeing "old" fault codes the
next time you enter this screen.

Clearing is done by going into the service mode ( display, channel, 5,
volume plus, then power ) then press 8 and Enter, which of course returns
everything to the factory preset condition.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, I timed the blinks they are non-stop with a gap of 5 seconds continuously never stops of any significant gap for me to distinguish the cycle SO not sure what that means ?

when I plug the TV initially - it stays on Green power-light no standby or blinking gray screen but no other remote function or TV buttons work except power , I am able to switch-on/off the TV from TV power button or remote power button which ever I choose once I switch off and switch-on again that's when it goes to stand-by with pic-off/timer blinking continually after this phase the remote power button doesn't work only the TV power button work when I switch-off using TV-power button the TV switches off BUT the pic-off/timer blinking continues - any pointers how to determine which component failed with this scenerio
post #11 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks, I timed the blinks they are non-stop with a gap of 5 seconds continuously never stops of any significant gap for me to distinguish the cycle SO not sure what that means ?

when I plug the TV initially - it stays on Green power-light no standby or blinking gray screen but no other remote function or TV buttons work except power , I am able to switch-on/off the TV from TV power button or remote power button which ever I choose once I switch off and switch-on again that's when it goes to stand-by with pic-off/timer blinking continually after this phase the remote power button doesn't work only the TV power button work when I switch-off using TV-power button the TV switches off BUT the pic-off/timer blinking continues - any pointers how to determine which component failed with this scenerio

The continuous blinking LED code is noted in the posting above.

Try to get into the diagnostic menu screen. Instructions are in the previous posting.

TV must be OFF, then Press all the following buttons on the remote in order within a few seconds:

Power to TV OFF if ON, then press Display, 5, Vol Minus, ( Not plus ) then Power, or Power to TV OFF if ON, then press Display, 5, then Power.

Here is a discussion of a second menu, the service menu. Do not fiddle with this one at the moment. Read the warnings in the article.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

If you can not get into either the service or diagnostic menus, then you have to replace a board.

post #12 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The blink code reference provided, looks like it's for older CRT based sets. The codes are still in use with the lcd lines, but mean different things than what is posted above. I don't have access to my xbr4 service manual right now, but I could look it up and post later this evening or tomorrow morning.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I tried no luck getting into diag-menu

let me confirm I am doing it correct:

1: turn on power strip so that TV gets power

2: used TV remote to turn-on TV

3: now tried your step

TV OFF using 'TV Power' button on remote,
then press Display, 5, Vol Minus, ( Not plus ) then Power,
ALSO tried
TV OFF using 'TV Power' button on remote, , then press Display, 5, then Power.

the TV screen shows white+gray+pink+green lines IF I let it go into standby mode without any interference then the screen is just stay very light-gray

Since there are 2 button on remote one says 'Power' and another next to it says 'TV Power' tried both

My observation is that the TV is only accepting 'TV Power' input from remote other buttons are ignored since Sony has programmed the TV to ignore any other remote command in standby mode

So looks like it's not simple to get even a diag-code as Sony makes it real hard and we are forced to use thier service centers to even diagnose and the service center wants $125 to come and diagnose

thanks
post #14 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Sony KDL55NX720, and I used the code sequences to enter the diagnostic and service menus.

I started with the TV being OFF as well as TV being ON then being turned OFF with the remote. As long as the TV is OFF when I start the code process both give the same result.

TV is OFF. Then remote control Display, 5, Volume (minus), then TV power ON. All have to be pressed within about 1 second of each other. When I was a little slow I could not get into the menus.

Now if you can not get into either the service or diagnostic menu, I don't see what good a service call is going to do if the service company does not bring the correct board with them to repair the TV. They can't get into the menu's if you can't get into the menus. If they bring the replacement boards with them and don't have to make a return call, then $125 to start is probably OK.

That KDL-46Z4100 is not a cheap TV, so it looks like you probably should spend the $125 for a diagnosis. Ask the service company if they are going to bring the most likely replacement boards with them. For that matter, ask if the most likely replacement boards are even available.

I wonder if I should buy an extended warranty for my television? It is only 2 months old, so I still have time to do so!
post #15 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

thanks tried again no luck TV goes to standby - the whole TV screen comes up green then light gray gray

I paid $2100 for this TV and Sony home theater system 3 years back would have definitely invested few hundred in extended warranty had I known this is a common issue with new LCD TVs, never expected this from Sony, could have bought a similar TV for much cheaper. I think with this kind of money we should buy extended warranty for minimum 5 yrs as LCD are turning out to be quite expensive. ConsumerReports rates Sony with few repairs not sure how they get the data because after 1 yr Sony warranty Sony will not report any of their TV to be repaired so the data only counts for 1-Yr
post #16 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks tried again no luck TV goes to standby - the whole TV screen comes up green then light gray gray

The diagnostic menu is all green letters, so it looks like the TV is attempting to activate the menu.

Quote:

I paid $2100 for this TV and Sony home theater system 3 years back would have definitely invested few hundred in extended warranty had I known this is a common issue with new LCD TVs, never expected this from Sony, could have bought a similar TV for much cheaper. I think with this kind of money we should buy extended warranty for minimum 5 yrs as LCD are turning out to be quite expensive. ConsumerReports rates Sony with few repairs not sure how they get the data because after 1 yr Sony warranty Sony will not report any of their TV to be repaired so the data only counts for 1-Yr

Aside from the financial cost, sometimes the defective part is not available in a reasonable amount of time. In the old days people would actually repair the televisions down to component level rather than just exchange boards. Not sure if that is possible anythese days due to the use of custom proprietary parts.

I almost never buy extended warranties. However, a higher priced laptop computer and a higher priced large screen TV are two items where the extended warranty is worth the money even if it is never used. One the bright side, the $200 to $300 that you would have paid for the extended warranty can now be used as a partial payment for this repair!

Let's see if Schlick can come up with the correct LED trouble code. I may be wrong, but I still think that the TV problem does not have anything to do with the two year old playing with the remote. Not sure what button combination could cause that problem.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, I ordered a new Board/BU Unit for my TV since it was almost confirmed that's causing the issue Now after replacing the board when I switch on the TV it goes into standby mode the standby light blinks 12 times and keeps repeating 12 times with few seconds, I tried unplugging and reconnecting the board few time to make sure that its installed correctly - when I put back my old board the old issue comes back so looks like I am doing it correct. Any thoughts

thanks
post #18 of 23 Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe try to perform a master TV reset.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5925008_troubleshoot-indicator-flashing-sony-tv.html

You need to get the service manual for your TV to be sure of the codes. Here is a list of the codes for another model Sony TV.

2 times-Main power supply voltage error (12V, etc)
3 times-Malfunction of 3.3V line
4 times-Malfunction of 5V line
(Voltage Supply to FE, etc)
5 times-Malfunction of power supply for screen
6 times-Malfunction of inverter or overcurrent, etc
7 times-Abnormal temperature inside unit
8 times-Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.)
9 times-Fan malfunction
10 times- Digital FE circuit error
11 times-Malfunction of Trident IC or around IC
12 times-BH board error
13 times -Malfunction of balancer

Funny how the 12 blink code for that different model TV indicates a BH board error. Maybe that applies to your TV, maybe not. If so, your new BH board may be defective.

Also, maybe try this Sony dedicated site for more specific information. Become a member and ask the question. Sometimes you can get a good answer over there!

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=34
post #19 of 23 Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Maybe try to perform a master TV reset.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5925008_troubleshoot-indicator-flashing-sony-tv.html
You need to get the service manual for your TV to be sure of the codes. Here is a list of the codes for another model Sony TV.
2 times-Main power supply voltage error (12V, etc)
3 times-Malfunction of 3.3V line
4 times-Malfunction of 5V line
(Voltage Supply to FE, etc)
5 times-Malfunction of power supply for screen
6 times-Malfunction of inverter or overcurrent, etc
7 times-Abnormal temperature inside unit
8 times-Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.)
9 times-Fan malfunction
10 times- Digital FE circuit error
11 times-Malfunction of Trident IC or around IC
12 times-BH board error
13 times -Malfunction of balancer
Funny how the 12 blink code for that different model TV indicates a BH board error. Maybe that applies to your TV, maybe not. If so, your new BH board may be defective.
Also, maybe try this Sony dedicated site for more specific information. Become a member and ask the question. Sometimes you can get a good answer over there!
http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=34

thank you - I have also posted on Sony dedicated forum for any clarification as u suggested

I was able to download the service manual for my TV Sony KDL-46Z4100 but it doesn't talk about the red blinking lights and what they mean it talk more about the components etc it's 13MB size so not able to upload here as max-size allowed is 5 MB
post #20 of 23 Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

also got following error code list from techlore - not sure what #12 means exactly:

self-diagnostic LED code :
01 - reserved
02 - over current protection
03 - over voltage protection
04 - no vertical sync
05 - IKR error at power on
06 - I2C bus lines low at power on
07 - NVM no I2C acknowledge at power on
08 - horizontal protection
09 - tuner no acknowledge at power on
10 - sound processor error
11 - reserved
12 - scanrate error
13 - DAC error
14 - backend error
15 - dynamic convergence error
16 - PIP error
post #21 of 23 Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Roger, tell Jehill on the other site what was wrong with the original board. Give him the flash code of the original board.

If you bought a used board that was removed from the same model television, then the firmware installed on that board should be close enough to get the TV running if the replacement board is good. The latest firmware can be installed at the end of the repair.

Can you get into the service or diagnostic menu with the new board? I kind of doubt that you can do that, but it is worth a try.
post #22 of 23 Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

finally my TV is back to work - received replacement board after putting the new one TV is worked fine - no firmware/software update needed just swapped the new BU board

thanks everyone for all you help - this forum was very helpful.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM

This really pisses me off. It happened to me twice. Sony is selling this crap for premium prices and the units don't service half the number of hours they say. We should get together and have a class action law suite against Sony.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s5100 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Sxrd Kds 55a3000 Rear Projection Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page