Official Vizio XVT3Dxx0CM 21:9 CinemaWide Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@rogershomework:

As a quick question, did you try disabling GPU scaling on your GTX 680 before you tried the 2560x1080 custom res? "Black bars around the whole thing" makes it sound like the GPU is scaling from 2560x1080 down to 1920x1080 before output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is disabled by default which is what I tried first. I also tried scaling it as well which didn't help.

The best I am able to do is forcing 2560x1080 (via the nvidia control panel) which results in a small screen with black bars all around it, (the TV menu says it is still receiving a 1920x1080 input signal) and using stretch mode to force it to be full screen. What the TV is doing is taking the space of a cropped 1920x1080 picture and stretching it across the entire panel. This results with a full screen correct aspect ratio picture, but its just stretching that smaller picture across the entire panel so it is very blurry/hard to read. The other option is to use 1920x1080 and stretching the picture which obviously results in everything being stretched super wide. In either case, you are not able to actually display a raw 2560x1080 resolution. What bothers me the most is the sticker that comes on the screen says right there that it is a 2560x1080 screen. Talk about false advertisement frown.gif

This TV does perform its primary intended purpose which is correctly cropping/scaling movies that were filmed with a 21x9 aspect ratio. During most scenes, I find myself distracted by bad viewing angles with regards to the backlight. Because of the super wide screen, there is no optimal position to be to not have noticeable backlight bleeding. If you sit on the right side of the TV, you really notice the bleeding of the backlight on the left side of the screen and visa versa. If you sit in the middle its not as bad but you can still easily see the backlight bleeding on both sides.

TV manufacturers are making TV's thinner their primary goal instead of getting quality first. It's a real shame. I could care less how thick it is (within reason) as long as I don't have to deal with bad edgelit screens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Hopefully, Vizio will come through and give us a firmware that does what's promised in the manual.

I wouldn't count on it. The TV has been out for a while and hasn't received an update as far as I can tell.
post #93 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post

During most scenes, I find myself distracted by bad viewing angles with regards to the backlight. Because of the super wide screen, there is no optimal position to be to not have noticeable backlight bleeding. If you sit on the right side of the TV, you really notice the bleeding of the backlight on the left side of the screen and visa versa. If you sit in the middle its not as bad but you can still easily see the backlight bleeding on both sides.

I took this TV for a spin last night (pics and opinions later tonight) and I can second rogershomework's opinion that, during black screens or dark scenes, the backlight bleed is distracting. If the picture isn't too dark though (and for 95% of what I watched last night it wasn't) it's not as noticeable. I sit about 4-5 feet from the set and even dead-center (supposedly the ideal place) is a little compromised. It's not a deal-breaker for me with the set (the good definitely outweighs the compromised) but definitely a consideration.
post #94 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Setting-up as we speak.
post #95 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:

It is disabled by default which is what I tried first. I also tried scaling it as well which didn't help.
The best I am able to do is forcing 2560x1080 (via the nvidia control panel) which results in a small screen with black bars all around it, (the TV menu says it is still receiving a 1920x1080 input signal) and using stretch mode to force it to be full screen. What the TV is doing is taking the space of a cropped 1920x1080 picture and stretching it across the entire panel. This results with a full screen correct aspect ratio picture, but its just stretching that smaller picture across the entire panel so it is very blurry/hard to read. The other option is to use 1920x1080 and stretching the picture which obviously results in everything being stretched super wide. In either case, you are not able to actually display a raw 2560x1080 resolution. What bothers me the most is the sticker that comes on the screen says right there that it is a 2560x1080 screen. Talk about false advertisement frown.gif

It may say that scaling is disabled but when you describe the behaviour and what the OSD says I have the sneaking suspicion the GPU is still scaling down to what it detects as the TV's maximum resolution. In other words, scaling 2560x1080 to 1920x1080 (1920x810 + black bars). I'd recommend asking about it in the HTPC section, some of the posters there seem to deal with custom resolution issues from time to time.

Though at this point it wouldn't surprise me if the set really is limited to 1920x1080 and the Vizio rep who said he had seen one running off 2560x1080 just saw a setup doing the same scale down, scale back thing that you describe.
post #96 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

No quality issues on mine drop outs etc.during all Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended edition), Cars 2, and many hours of PS3 gaming. The star wars 'blocks' pictured are due to improper brightness/contrast settings and would be visible on any improperly calibrated TV set. I do not use this for computer monitor so I cant comment on that.
post #97 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

No quality issues on mine drop outs etc.during all Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended edition), Cars 2, and many hours of PS3 gaming. The star wars 'blocks' pictured are due to improper brightness/contrast settings and would be visible on any improperly calibrated TV set. I do not use this for computer monitor so I cant comment on that.

Pics please!! biggrin.gif

post #98 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just had time to hook up an antenna to test the regular HD and SD channels. Regular OTA looks fine on this TV and the built-in 30 watts speakers (not as manly as the 747i's 50W speakers) are solid. And it might be anathema for a purist to say this but, on first impression, the fill-the-screen CinemaWide mode looks pretty good with regular OTA channels.

Over the weekend comes the acid tests: "Dexter" episodes from Showtime on Demand, a ton of SD/HD content (from 1:33:1 to anamorphic widescreen content with everything in-between) and, over the coming weeks, old and new videogame systems to test the TV's alleged 5m lag. Unfortunately I can't upgrade my PS3 to play 3D Blu-rays and I don't have a thumb drive (or the money to get one) so that's gonna have to wait. I also can't log on to my Wifi connection because I've forgotten my own password tongue.gif but it's not like this is a Samsung SmartTV. But I would like the Vizio HDTV to have the latest updates. Stay tuned. smile.gif

Does look pretty good (fill-the-screen CinemaWide) with OTA antenna!  Stay tuned everybody!!  Dad1153 usually delivers the goods!!  WOO HOO!!  GO DAD GO!! biggrin.gif

post #99 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM

I have tried it with PC games and confirm via various FPS shooters that the 5ms lag is very good at 2560x1080. It runs great and there is no noticeable lag or tearing.

Also, I have most popular TV shows on blu-ray and I'd be more than happy to take request for pictures/video.. I also have a very large collection of blu-ray movies to choose from. Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to see.

I just watched the entire matrix movie and it looked pretty good most of the time. Still, my 3 year old LCD samsung tend to outperform it in terms of picture quality. So far every movie that I have tried performs perfectly with the auto aspect mode.

The "black bar detector" seems to work perfectly for me. It takes about 4 seconds for it to detect a constant 21:9 content, than it instantly switches. I'm sure this isn't ideal for movies like the new batman trilogie which constantly switches from 16x9 to 21x9 due to the imax cameras.

Just had a 5 second video dropout watching monsters vs aliens (2d) on blu-ray. frown.gif
post #100 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

Stay tuned everybody!! Dad1153 usually delivers the goods!! WOO HOO!! GO DAD GO!! biggrin.gif
Thank you dear. tongue.gif Again, sorry for the quality of the pics below and they're more meant for representative purposes rather than accuracy. For example, I prefer Auto Dimming off but I had to leave it on because otherwise the pics I was taking would have come out looking worse than they already do.

Played three back-to-back Blu-rays last night, "Apocalypse Now" (1979), "Rushmore" (1997... get it?) from a portable Panasonic BD player w/HDMI output and Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" from a Toshiba laptop, also with HDMI output. My PS3 flat-out refused to play two of these discs (getting around downloading the system update file next week via thumb drive) so the back-up players came in handy. And, in honor of longhaul747's wife, I'm including pics with subtitles whenever possible. The picture setting is Standard with minimal tweaking and, naturally, the pictures look sharper/more colorful in movement than in these low-res still pics.

APOCALYPSE NOW:

RUSHMORE:

DR. STRANGELOVE:
(1:66:1 AR...)

(... stretched to CinemaWide... notice the slight light bleed on the left side
that keeps the 1:66:1 AR from filling the screen, which is how it should be)

(Close-up of screen)

Neither of these movies is a show-off piece that will make AVS' Top 20 BD's to show-off your man cave, but they're cinematic and more representative of the kinds of movies I'll be watching on the set than a "Star Wars" or "LOTR" caliber blockbuster. No drop-outs whatsoever on all three movies, except that the "Apocalypse Now" BD started skipping at certain spots (I've had trouble with the disc before) and then the XVT kept the screen filled as the movie broke into a pixelated mess. It only went back to 16:9 when I brought up the menu. As the movies played along I played around with the picture settings and stuff.

In one of the previous reviews (I think it was CNET's) they stated that, with the refresh mode off, the 60Hz deinterlacer of the XVT was pretty mediocre. After putting it through its paces last night I have to disagree. If you're a movie purist that wants that 'jerky' look of film (and if you're buying a CinemaWide set then you must be) make sure to turn the Motion Flow off, or max it out on if the movie demands it (any CG cartoon or colorful stuff like "Speed Racer"). I used as my main test the scene at the start of "Apocalypse Now" when Martin Sheen is going mental inside the Saigon hotel ('Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger.'). Between the spinning ceiling fan, the actor's deliberately slow movements and the cut-aways to explosions it's a perfect showcase of how, if you so choose, you can make humans look like liquid-smooth CG mannequins and any movie/show have the dreary 'soap opera' effect. All of the TV modes default to 'Low' and, naturally, each tweak you do to one setting doesn't affect the settings on the other modes (Vivid, Football, Movie, Custom, etc.).

3D EFFECT:

While I may not have my PS3 upgraded so that it plays 3D my cable system has a few 3D options. So I hooked-up my cable box with a 3D-compliant HDMI cable (which disabled the component/S-video outputs of the cable box, meaning while the HDMI is connected to the XVT I can't watch HD on my 747i and SD on my regular TV) and went to check some HBO 3D On Demand stuff. Of the five or so movies they had ("Glee: The Concert," "Journey to the Center of the Earth 2," etc.) I settled on "Sanctum," the James Cameron-produced cave diving flick from three years ago that, acting/storywise, is horrible. But considering (a) it's cable-strength 1080i signal coming from (b) Time Warner Cable, a notorious bit-starver of channel content playing on (c) a passive 3D set (progressive looks sharper IMO), the 3D effect in "Sanctum" is awesome. I wish I could dial down the "smooth" effect a little when the 3D is on but the picture tweaking options are greyed out when 3D is activated.

Still, there's no mistaking the fact the set delivers the 3D 'WOW' factor if that's what you're looking for. The XVT's 3D effect from a cable offering is comparable to the 3D effect in the LG 6200/7600 kiosks they have at Best Buy to demo 3D, and it's still just cable. It can only get better when it's a BD 3D disc going directly from the PS3 to the set, and when I sort out my PS3 update issues I'll get on it.
post #101 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And now for the most pleasant and unexpected surprise on the XVT: support for Picture-in-Picture and Picture-on-Picture. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Again, either the reviewers that took this set through its paces ignored it or they don't value the option. Me? I'm a PIP whore that went into the XVT thinking I was giving up the PIP options galore of my 747i in the long run. Instead the set has good options for PIP that, sadly, require the user to go to 'Menu,' click 'PIP' and do the selections (no remote control commands to speed-up getting to the PIP options like switching audio from one screen to the other... it's all done through the menu/PIP interface, which I can see getting really annoying).

Also, the largest of the PIP screens in the XVT (see pics below) is smaller than the 'Medium' PIP window of my old 747i TV. At least the XVT's screen tucks the little PIP screens in the far corners of the screen; no 16:9/1:33:1 safety concerns here. Finally, if you get to like the screen-filling CinemaWide stretching of 16:9 content, the PIP works over the stretched portions of the signal if you want to (or not). And, so far with my experimentations, there doesn't seem to be any restrictions on the use of PIP other than 1080p content that's on the smaller PIP window is noticeably lower-res than when it's the main screen.

Follow me now as I explain PIP/POP on the XVT with pictures:

A 16:9 TV signal from an OTA HD station...

... stretched to screen-filling CinemaWide.

Go to menu, turn on PIP and then select another input (in this case HDMI-5 hooked-up to a BD player)

Within the menu you can change position/size of the PIP...

... or switch between them.

Or, if the PIP window is too small, you can do side-by-side POP (notice the widescreen framing of the movie window vs. the 16:9 window of the TV signal)

PC signal going from laptop to the XVT with HDMI...

... which works fine with PIP (OTA) and the PC signal stretched:

That's all I have so far but, as a bonafide PIP whore and cinephile, the XVT is living up to my expectations for a $1,000 set. The only negative I can say is that, after some (not extensive) tweaking, the XVT's picture just doesn't 'pop' as much as it does on my 747i or in my father's Samsung 2008 top-of-the-line HDTV (my two main reference sets about what I consider good HDTV). Picture/resolution are fine considering this Vizio set is basically scaling/zooming on a pic, but I can walk into any TV showroom and pick a dozen darker, blacker, better-looking sets (all set on 'Torch' mode no doubt). Still, for a thousand bucks, an eye-opening new way to look at widescreen movies and 3D that lives up to the hype, the XVT is a steal. Unless this thing starts dropping out from 2:35:1 to 16:9 non-stop on every other movie I watch this set looks like a keeper... unless you want unmolested 2560x1080 resolution displayed (sorry rogershomework).

Like Johnny Carson's commercial cards used to say, 'MORE TO COME.' wink.gif
post #102 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

It can only get better when it's a BD 3D disc going directly from the PS3 to the set, and when I sort out my PS3 update issues I'll get on it.

Why don't you just hook up the ps3 to the internet and update online?
post #103 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ PS3 won't recognize my network settings (same I use for my laptop, Touchpad and Nintendo 3DS), it keeps timing out after I click. Did I also mention I'm technophobic and don't know jack about set-ups and/or connections? It's been like this for weeks now and, other than downloading the file and putting it on a thumb drive (which I don't have and can't afford right now, I'm broke), I don't know what else to do. I'd like to use the PS3 to watch me some Amazon Prime, but it flat-out refuses to recognize the broadband cable I connect to it.
post #104 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM

Still, for a thousand bucks, an eye-opening new way to look at widescreen movies and 3D that lives up to the hype, the XVT is a steal. Unless this thing starts dropping out from 2:35:1 to 16:9 non-stop on every other movie I watch this set looks like a keeper... unless you want unmolested 2560x1080 resolution displayed (sorry rogershomework).
Like Johnny Carson's commercial cards used to say, 'MORE TO COME.' wink.gif[/quote]

I agree. For $999 this set has surpassed my expectations. Used cnet's recommended settings and it looks pretty good. Going to watch Prometheus in 3d after we put the kids down. Can't wait.
post #105 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika4 View Post

For $999 this set has surpassed my expectations. Used cnet's recommended settings and it looks pretty good. Going to watch Prometheus in 3d after we put the kids down. Can't wait.

Do you know where to find cnet's recommended settings? I couldn't find them for the review of this TV.

Just watched finding nemo in 3d. Such a good movie and the 3d is amazing. The TV handled it pretty well, with no video blackouts but it still seemed like overall the quality was just sub-par on this set. My epson UB8500 projector (which is a much larger screen) looks ALOT better and doesn't have the annoying backlight bleeding. That could be due to me using the ps3 as a 3d player which I think might downsample the signal to 720p. I tried running through the built-in calibration on the finding nemo disc, but I couldn't get it to work with their instructions I think due to the backlight and the adjustment menu covering up the part I need to see to make the correct adjustments.
post #106 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:

That's all I have so far but, as a bonafide PIP whore and cinephile, the XVT is living up to my expectations for a $1,000 set. The only negative I can say is that, after some (not extensive) tweaking, the XVT's picture just doesn't 'pop' as much as it does on my 747i or in my father's Samsung 2008 top-of-the-line HDTV (my two main reference sets about what I consider good HDTV). Picture/resolution are fine considering this Vizio set is basically scaling/zooming on a pic, but I can walk into any TV showroom and pick a dozen darker, blacker, better-looking sets (all set on 'Torch' mode no doubt). Still, for a thousand bucks, an eye-opening new way to look at widescreen movies and 3D that lives up to the hype, the XVT is a steal. Unless this thing starts dropping out from 2:35:1 to 16:9 non-stop on every other movie I watch this set looks like a keeper... unless you want unmolested 2560x1080 resolution displayed (sorry rogershomework).

I still keep wondering if it's possible to replicate 2560x1080 by using two 1280x1080 signals with POP.
post #107 of 274 Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Like Johnny Carson's commercial cards used to say, 'MORE TO COME.' wink.gif

I have my popcorn and soda ready!!  biggrin.gif

Like the cop from The Dark Knight Rises says from the police car when Batman shows up to chase Bane: "Boy, you are in for a show tonight son". tongue.gif

post #108 of 274 Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 AM

post #109 of 274 Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Thanks. smile.gif

Spent all afternoon watching sports on the XVT and so far so good. I'm using the 'Football' and 'Golf' settings when watching those respective events, and I can't for the life of me notice that much of a difference between them. Playing around with the Smooth Motion Effect doesn't seem to affect much the smoothess of the fast-moving golf or football action, but sports is not the reason I bought this set (although I appreciate that I can watch sports at 120Hz for the first time if I want that option).

Weird/Noteworthy Thing: I was watching an NFL game on WCBS-DT 1080i OTA with the 'Auto Aspect' mode on. During the game and most of the commercials the picture stayed at 16:9 (black bars on both sides). But then a commercial for "Gangster Squad" came on and, after four seconds, the XVT switched itself to 21:9 for the length of the commercial because the TV spot was framed as 21:9. When the "GS" commercial was over the XVT switched itself back to 16:9 I thought only DVD's, Blu-rays and other physical media would be detected as 2:35:1 by the set in order for it to automatically switch itself. Most people that own this set will likely use 'Auto Stretch' to ensure the set stays at 2:35:1. Apparently leaving it on 'Auto Aspect' will induce the set to switch the CinemaWide if the content has been designated or marked as widescreen 21:9.

A couple of commercials for Tom Cruise's new movie, "Jack Reacher," have aired while I've been typing this and they didn't switch to 21:9 even though in the commercial the picture was clearly 2:35:1 AR. Guess someone in the production chain marked the "Gangster Squad" as 16:9 anamorphic while the "Jack Reacher" spots weren't marked as anamorphic and are thus 16:9 "letterbox."

EDIT: CBS just showed a commercial for Universal's "This Is 40" and it also, after a few seconds, switched to CinemaWide AR. Another commercial for "Gangster Squad" also aired, and it also filled the screen. All of these on OTA TV input in 'Auto Aspect' mode.

Back to sports. The next set of pics show similar-looking (not identical, didn't have a DVR hooked to pause and/or rewind) sports scenes in their original 16:9 AR, followed by the CinemaWide stretch to fill the screen. You think the stretch is something you could live with, or are you sticking with 16:9 for non-anamorphic movie content?

FOX NFL (720p OTA):

CBS NFL (1080i OTA):

NBC Golf (1080i OTA):

There doesn't seem to be a 1:1 or 'pass through' option to let the XVT show 480i or 720p on a smaller window than the one filling the frame of the picture. Everything coming into the XVT I've seen so far (no external SD sources yet) is upscaled by the XVT. If you wanted to watch pure 1:1 signals on this thing you're probably out of luck.

Now, with a cable box that offers its own PIP option, you can actually do triple-PIP on the XVT if you want to watch more than one game. I like that, if you stretch a 16:9 widescreen pic from the cable, the PIP box from that signal is also bigger. And, if you're watching a channel like NFL RedZone that sometimes goes into its own split-screen, your fragile little mind will explode as you move you own PIP boxes around and out of the way of the channel's own litle screens. wink.gif

MORE TO COME.
post #110 of 274 Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 AM

I spent more time with the TV. This is my first big LCD. I have a small Sony Bravia cfl backlit 40" in the bedroom. While watching Prometheus In the dark, the light bleeding was very noticeable during any dark scene on the Cinemawide. I'm assuming that that is what causes the screen to be lighter near the left and right edges of the tv. I took the bluray disk up to the bedroom and did notice some bleeding on the Sony. At the moment I'm drawn to the lighter areas. I have 90 days to decide if I can live with that issue. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the picture quality and Prometheus in 3d was incredible. I moved my couch which is normally about 8 feet from the tv to about 10 feet and the lines caused by the passive 3d disappeared.

So here's my dilemma. Could I get another tv in the 60 to 65" range (3d would be nice, but not necessary) for $1400 or less that will have less light bleed through? I'd be fine with a plasma. Do you think that the 65 inch vizio is going to have similar problems?
post #111 of 274 Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I spent more time with the TV. This is my first big LCD. I have a small Sony Bravia cfl backlit 40" in the bedroom. While watching Prometheus In the dark, the light bleeding was very noticeable during any dark scene on the Cinemawide. I'm assuming that that is what causes the screen to be lighter near the left and right edges of the tv. I took the bluray disk up to the bedroom and did notice some bleeding on the Sony. At the moment I'm drawn to the lighter areas. I have 90 days to decide if I can live with that issue. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the picture quality and Prometheus in 3d was incredible. I moved my couch which is normally about 8 feet from the tv to about 10 feet and the lines caused by the passive 3d disappeared.
So here's my dilemma. Could I get another tv in the 60 to 65" range (3d would be nice, but not necessary) for $1400 or less that will have less light bleed through? I'd be fine with a plasma. Do you think that the 65 inch vizio is going to have similar problems?

It seems to me that any LED back-lit TV is going to suffer from backlight bleeding/unevenness (especially edge-lit ones). I will be returning mine partially due to this and going back to my 3 year old LCD samsung which is a much better panel and has no backlight/viewing angle issues. The problem with this set is it is edgelit which means there will be light bleeding and since its super wide, that effect is enhanced even more than normal.

I'd say either go with a plasma or a quality LCD backlit panel. Seems like all the manufactures are sacrificing quality for thinness of the TV. I personally don't mind having my TV be over 3 inches thick if it means I get far superior quality. I also watched Prometheus and was impressed by the 3d, but the problems with the backlight don't justify keeping this TV. My old tv that I paid less than $1k 3 years ago far outperforms it in every way. The only thing it doesn't have is the cinemawide feature and 3d. I don't have or want the (I'd say useless apps) on the TV.

My plan is to watch all 35 of my 3d movies than return it before my 90 days is up. Tangled was by far the most impressive 3D movie I've ever seen. Highly recommend it, pretty good movie overall too. I never thought I'd ever stretch a 16x9 picture to a 21x9 (normally I'd much rather keep it in the correct aspect ratio), but its harder to notice with animated movies and it helps with the 3D.
post #112 of 274 Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My plan is to watch all 35 of my 3d movies than return it before my 90 days is up. 

BEAUTIFUL!! - After my own heart!   biggrin.gif

post #113 of 274 Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^ Thanks. smile.gif

Spent all afternoon watching sports on the XVT and so far so good. I'm using the 'Football' and 'Golf' settings when watching those respective events, and I can't for the life of me notice that much of a difference between them. Playing around with the Smooth Motion Effect doesn't seem to affect much the smoothess of the fast-moving golf or football action, but sports is not the reason I bought this set (although I appreciate that I can watch sports at 120Hz for the first time if I want that option).

Weird/Noteworthy Thing: I was watching an NFL game on WCBS-DT 1080i OTA with the 'Auto Aspect' mode on. During the game and most of the commercials the picture stayed at 16:9 (black bars on both sides). But then a commercial for "Gangster Squad" came on and, after four seconds, the XVT switched itself to 21:9 for the length of the commercial because the TV spot was framed as 21:9. When the "GS" commercial was over the XVT switched itself back to 16:9 I thought only DVD's, Blu-rays and other physical media would be detected as 2:35:1 by the set in order for it to automatically switch itself. Most people that own this set will likely use 'Auto Stretch' to ensure the set stays at 2:35:1. Apparently leaving it on 'Auto Aspect' will induce the set to switch the CinemaWide if the content has been designated or marked as widescreen 21:9.

A couple of commercials for Tom Cruise's new movie, "Jack Reacher," have aired while I've been typing this and they didn't switch to 21:9 even though in the commercial the picture was clearly 2:35:1 AR. Guess someone in the production chain marked the "Gangster Squad" as 16:9 anamorphic while the "Jack Reacher" spots weren't marked as anamorphic and are thus 16:9 "letterbox."

EDIT: CBS just showed a commercial for Universal's "This Is 40" and it also, after a few seconds, switched to CinemaWide AR. Another commercial for "Gangster Squad" also aired, and it also filled the screen. All of these on OTA TV input in 'Auto Aspect' mode.

Back to sports. The next set of pics show similar-looking (not identical, didn't have a DVR hooked to pause and/or rewind) sports scenes in their original 16:9 AR, followed by the CinemaWide stretch to fill the screen. You think the stretch is something you could live with, or are you sticking with 16:9 for non-anamorphic movie content?

FOX NFL (720p OTA):

CBS NFL (1080i OTA):

NBC Golf (1080i OTA):

There doesn't seem to be a 1:1 or 'pass through' option to let the XVT show 480i or 720p on a smaller window than the one filling the frame of the picture. Everything coming into the XVT I've seen so far (no external SD sources yet) is upscaled by the XVT. If you wanted to watch pure 1:1 signals on this thing you're probably out of luck.

Now, with a cable box that offers its own PIP option, you can actually do triple-PIP on the XVT if you want to watch more than one game. I like that, if you stretch a 16:9 widescreen pic from the cable, the PIP box from that signal is also bigger. And, if you're watching a channel like NFL RedZone that sometimes goes into its own split-screen, your fragile little mind will explode as you move you own PIP boxes around and out of the way of the channel's own litle screens. wink.gif

MORE TO COME.

Broadcasting live from studio 1153 - It's DADS PLACE!!  PIP porn lives on!! biggrin.gif

I must say, the ability to stretch (any and all?) content to fill this super wide screen is an awesome feature when it doesn't do it harm.  Next up, a screen that basically wraps around you to further immerse you into the scene.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I can dream.  tongue.gif

post #114 of 274 Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Broadcasting live from studio 1153 - It's DADS PLACE!!  PIP porn lives on!! biggrin.gif

Please don't quote the entire post that has lots of pictures like that or double post.
post #115 of 274 Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Please don't quote the entire post that has lots of pictures like that or double post.

Sorry, but it's worthy of it IMO.  redface.gif

post #116 of 274 Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 AM

Walked into best buy today. I had been doing some research on Plasmas and thought the Panasonic TC-P60UT50 might be a good replacement for the cinemawide. Its width is only 1.5 inches less than the vizio. Just so happened that they had an open box (a return) TC-P60UT50 for $999.99. I bought it:). Hopefully the Panasonic lives up to its reputation. I have a feeling the Vizio is going back. I really wanted to love this TV:)
post #117 of 274 Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I wouldn't count on it. The TV has been out for a while and hasn't received an update as far as I can tell.

I am pretty sure I've received more than several updates of some kind after I hit the VIA button. All I know is that the video dropouts have been reduced dramatically. Last movie I watched (via Amazon) didn't have a single dropout which is a big improvement from 4- 6 dropouts before the updates.
post #118 of 274 Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Packing up the TV tonight. Can't get past the edge light bleeding. Panasonic plasma here I come.
post #119 of 274 Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

I am pretty sure I've received more than several updates of some kind after I hit the VIA button. All I know is that the video dropouts have been reduced dramatically. Last movie I watched (via Amazon) didn't have a single dropout which is a big improvement from 4- 6 dropouts before the updates.

You can check the current version you are on by going to help, than system info. I asked a couple different vizio reps and they both said there isn't a newer version that I had which is 2.42. Also, because they don't have any listed on their site, I doubt there are have been any updates since the release.
Quote:

Packing up the TV tonight. Can't get past the edge light bleeding. Panasonic plasma here I come.

Good choice. I find it crazy they originally charged $2,00 for this TV. After fully testing it out, I wouldn't pay $500 for it.
post #120 of 274 Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

You can check the current version you are on by going to help, than system info. I asked a couple different vizio reps and they both said there isn't a newer version that I had which is 2.42. Also, because they don't have any listed on their site, I doubt there are have been any updates since the release.

Hmmm..confused.gif What the heck was TV updating then? On more than several occassions, after I select VIA on remote to access the menu, the TV put me on hold while "Updating..." appears on the bottom scroll area for a while before the VIA menu appears. Can't be for Netflix and Amazon since they look unchanged since setting them up in the beginning.

Like I've said, all I know is that I've experienced 4-6 dropouts before the "updates" and now I don't. smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page