Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 272 Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaddyNash View Post

Anyone have PS3 gaming experience with this set? Does it do gaming in 21:9 natively, without stretching? And how is the 3D gaming in CODBO2?

This TV will not run at 21:9 signal no matter what signal it receives, so I can confirm it does not play games at 21:9 native without stretching. I do have a ps3 and a bunch of games. I haven't heard about this update though. Do you know what games support this or is it all games? I'd be willing to try some if you like.

The only way it will use all 2560x1080 pixels is to stretch and/or crop a 1920x1080 signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 272 Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post

This TV will not run at 21:9 signal no matter what signal it receives, so I can confirm it does not play games at 21:9 native without stretching. I do have a ps3 and a bunch of games. I haven't heard about this update though. Do you know what games support this or is it all games? I'd be willing to try some if you like.

The only way it will use all 2560x1080 pixels is to stretch and/or crop a 1920x1080 signal.

Maybe it never materialized but I red the below thread and was hopeful that it was included in the update:

http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3-psn-news/rumor-ps3-firmware-2-80-included-cinematic-219-tv-support/
post #183 of 272 Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaddyNash View Post

OK, making the jump to a bigger screen Flat screen. Read this thread begining to end. Priorities for the Set are as follows and in order:

1. Exceptional 3D via Blu-Ray 3D movies

Me and mine watch movies at the theatre in Real3D almost exclusively nowadays so we want somethig that will mimick that experience.

2. PS3 Videogaming with some also in 3D (COD BO2, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Assassins Creed, Grand Turismo 5, Killzone to name a few that are 3D capable)
Big Gamer so I am hoping that the PS3 will play games in native 21:9 as their 2.80 update implies

Incidently, my PS3 will also be my Blu-Ray, Netflix and all round Connected device to the tube as well as a HD Cable box of course

Will this niche HDTV accomplish these impressively? Viewingandle is not much of a consideration as we will be sitting about 9-11ft way straight on eye level

Anyone have PS3 gaming experience with this set? Does it do gaming in 21:9 natively, without stretching? And how is the 3D gaming in CODBO2?

Call me nuts, but I love having one-of-a-kind things that work well. Doesn't have to be Sharp Pro level picture, but as long as it is Wal-mart's Samsung, LG, Vizio level that you see hanging up on the back wall, I'll be OK. for $1K give or take $100 it still as good as some 50-55" sets the big boz stores have.

Any to-the-point and concise advise prior to this potential purchase will be most appreciated

I own the set and the PS3 updated to the current firmware,and can safely say there's no 21:9 support/option currently

here's a bit more on how that rumor started: http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3-psn-news/rumor-ps3-firmware-2-80-included-cinematic-219-tv-support/

I dont own black ops 2 for the PS3,I own it for PC only so cant comment on how it is(in 3D)

I tried out MLB 12(the show) and Wipeout HD in 3D ,for the baseball game it didnt seem to add much to the experience,but for Wipeout it was pretty nice.

I too have experienced and can attest to the many weaknesses of the set mentioned in this thread , it's most appreciated when it's used for cinematic movie watching.

on a side note re: PC resolution. I have been able to get 2560x1080 resolution through Nvidia control panel,I have a GTX680 card like the person in this thread that was having trouble,that being said Im not sure how useful it is as I only tried (briefly)a few games (Guild Wars 2,Borderlands 2 Far Cry 3) I could only get the 2560x1080 res to display when these games were windowed.

P.S. Dell has recently released a 29 inch 21:9 monitor and LG showed their version @ the recent ces http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9724096/new_oversized_productivity_monitor_by_lg_ces_2013_unbox_therapy/

here is a video of the dell being used in current games and displaying 2560x1080 properly in every game that supports the resolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rf7FcIgkgDY
post #184 of 272 Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 AM

Just watched Promethius 3D last night. It will fit your needs perfectly. Bought mine with Amazon Prime for $999 on Xmas eve and love it. Just a great way to watch 3D movies. The resizing thing to eliminate black bars works great. . For context, I'd consider myself a reasonable-videophile. I won't get the cheapest nor the most expensive set I can find.

So for movies, this is your ticket. I haven't hooked up my Xbox as its connected to a 65-incher in a different room. If I do so, I'll come back and post. Otherwise, I'll let another comment.
post #185 of 272 Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinesis View Post

on a side note re: PC resolution. I have been able to get 2560x1080 resolution through Nvidia control panel,I have a GTX680 card like the person in this thread that was having trouble,that being said Im not sure how useful it is as I only tried (briefly)a few games (Guild Wars 2,Borderlands 2 Far Cry 3) I could only get the 2560x1080 res to display when these games were windowed.

What cable did you use? Do you know what version of drivers you were using for your video card? Were you able to set the resolution in windows as well or just using the Nvidia control panel? Are you certain you did not have it set to stretch mode on the TV menu? What firmware version do you have on your TV? (Hit menu then go to help)

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
post #186 of 272 Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post

What cable did you use? Do you know what version of drivers you were using for your video card? Were you able to set the resolution in windows as well or just using the Nvidia control panel? Are you certain you did not have it set to stretch mode on the TV menu? What firmware version do you have on your TV? (Hit menu then go to help)

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

What cable did you use? HDMI 12$ 25 footer(blue rigger) from amazon as my tv and PC are across the room from each other

Do you know what version of drivers you were using for your video card?not certain which version they were when I first tested it,but it hasnt changed since Im using the latest (310.90 atm)

Were you able to set the resolution in windows as well or just using the Nvidia control panel? both

Are you certain you did not have it set to stretch mode on the TV menu? certain

What firmware version do you have on your TV? (Hit menu then go to help) firmware (SW version) 2.42

these are 2 identical shots from Borderlands 2

I cant get the game to display 2560(x1080) in full screen mode .only in windowed mode.

1920 x1080

2560 x1080 notice the extra real estate.and hud not reaching the end of the screen,the game has a feature to move them vertically and horizontally, that's why in the 1920 shot they're pushed to the edges

2560x1080
post #187 of 272 Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

What cable did you use? HDMI 12$ 25 footer(blue rigger) from amazon as my tv and PC are across the room from each other

Do you know what version of drivers you were using for your video card?not certain which version they were when I first tested it,but it hasnt changed since Im using the latest (310.90 atm)

Were you able to set the resolution in windows as well or just using the Nvidia control panel? both

Are you certain you did not have it set to stretch mode on the TV menu? certain

What firmware version do you have on your TV? (Hit menu then go to help) firmware (SW version) 2.42

these are 2 identical shots from Borderlands 2

I cant get the game to display 2560(x1080) in full screen mode .only in windowed mode.

1920 x1080

2560 x1080 notice the extra real estate.and hud not reaching the end of the screen,the game has a feature to move them vertically and horizontally, that's why in the 1920 shot they're pushed to the edges

2560x1080

I told you people that you could run natively 21:9 2650x1080 pixels if properly set up on ur pc graphics card....I guess PCs is the only way to run natively at this resolution....
post #188 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:

Thank you so much for the additional info/screenshots. I will be running my own test to try to get these results. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

What version of windows are you running?

What HDMI port did you use on the TV?

Did you try any other HDMI ports on the TV?

Did you have to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel for this to work or did the computer automatically detect that the TV supported 2560x1080 when you first plugged it in?

My guess is the reason I was not able to get the same results as you is due to me possibly having a different revision of hardware than you. Mine doesn't seem to match any of the other pictures listed here in terms of out of box design. My guess is I may have gotten one that has been sitting on a shelf since the initial production. Notice the different marketing sticker on the top left that clearly states the native resolution 2560x1080 on my set that nobody else seems to have. This is all speculation so it may just be nothing.

I made a quick album of crappy pictures from my iphone. Note that these don't even come close to representing the quality of the picture due to early iphone and it being displayed in 3D:
http://imgur.com/a/9eeMr
post #189 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM

No problem,I'll answer as many as I can

What version of windows are you running? Windows 7 64bit pro service pack 1

What HDMI port did you use on the TV? Hdmi 3(the one in the center)

Did you try any other HDMI ports on the TV? 4 and 5 as I'm writing this,both work the same as 3

Did you have to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel for this to work or did the computer automatically detect that the TV supported 2560x1080 when you first plugged it in? yes ,I did,also I tried bumping up the hz to 120 ,but it only let me go up to 90,then I went down to 70

let me know if you need any more info
post #190 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Either the model is a lemon, or the one we got from Costco is a lemon.
Two major issues we are having, anyone else have these issues before?
1) Custom Digital Closed Captioning does not work
I was told the first time with tech support it was an issue of our provider's CC being different from Vizios, second time was told to hook up an antenna to verify if it worked, third time told that though the option is present in the menu system and listed in the manual it is not a working feature at this time with no foreseeable updates to firmware to make it functional.

Please verify if you can enable transparent backgrounds, to see if I have a lemon unit. It will show it changing it on the menu, but not actually use it as the closed captioning. Getting old, I like to read, and we have kids that sleep at night.

2) The tuner is flaky, had to do a power cycle on day 2 of ownership - tuner quit and would not work, and this morning it keep going from 0% to 100% signal. All our other TVs worked, as well as the DVRs. I think if CC works for you, the CC not working for me is related to this.

I am asked to check 1 more thing before they send someone out, every time I talk to Vizio.

Outside of that, I really want this display to work, it is gorgeous and the 21:9 layout is the future of home cinema.

Appreciate your feedback! 2yr Costco Warranty, 3yr SquareTrade, and purchased on my AMEX for that additional year of coverage.
post #191 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 121
^^^

If you got it from Costco, why don't you just exchange it? Costco is a lot easier to deal with than Vizio from what I've heard. My Costco had 5 units in stock for $999. IMHO, I'd try to exchange it for another new unit before it disappears from Costco.
post #192 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Those who are setting up on PC, digital resolution on cards - HDMI output is higher than normal analog VGA connector resolution. Also I believe it is HDMI 3 that is the HDMI/DVI compatible port (believe this was mentioned in a setup screen). Hopefully the one with it working can tell you which he is using otherwise I believe you will be limited to 1920x1080 if using the wrong HDMI port. This is likely the culprit if your graphics card says it will support it.

Hope that helps! From someone who over analyzes everything. If it helps please, let me know about Custom Digital CC transparent on your display.

Thanks!
post #193 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Outside of display, I bought the last one. It did not have a bag on display when pulled from box so may be someone's returned unit.
post #194 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmailNBheleu View Post

Outside of display, I bought the last one. It did not have a bag on display when pulled from box so may be someone's returned unit.

Yeah, that sure sounds like a returned unit. Mine definitely had a bag over the display.
post #195 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Rejoice, friends! It looks like we have the genuine, one-of-a-kind, unique, never-to-be-seen-again TV set ever. biggrin.gif There is nary a sight nor mention of ultrawide TVs from any brand at 2013 CES.

I, for one, am happy that I carped that diem.wink.gif

You and I, both!
I had been eyeballing the European Philips units last year (note concerns on fire hazards, limited US functionality (smart tv) info, import/return issues, etc.), I didn't realize this was available in the US until last Thursday! I read all of the reviews, all about the 'problems' and de died: you people are CRAZY!

Paraphrasing Jack Black in King Kong: if you REALLY loved your CinemaScope dvd's, you'd have jumped.

Needless to say, i had to expand my search to a 200 mile radius, but mine is pre-mounted in the living room as of Sunday (the wife was sick, hence the delay while I nursed her back to a state capable of sustaining news of yet another (emergency) HD upgrade.

Early report: Gorgeous TV, gorgeous 2D display, *phenominal* 3D display, glass reflective as all of hell.
But the image clarity? O.M.G.
The first disc was Armageddon on Blu; awesome. HTTYDragon 3D in CinemaWide, Titanic 3D 16:9, Titanic 2D CW, Puss In Boots 3D CW, Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D CW, RIo 3D CW -- I even fed it some SI 2012 3D Experience 16:9.
The bottom line? My new CinemaWide produces the most amazing (depth wise) 3D pictures I have ever seen - and the blacks in RE:A looked pretty black to me, including Mila's body suit and the crows in the airport graveyard.

When I get back home, I'll throw in my favorite TohoScope battle from the recently released Godzilla Vs. Megalon DVD, which I had screened twice Sunday morning (just because) - in anticipation of the new CinemaWide.

So, to paraphrase Tom Cruise (but not to jinx it): I love this TV!!
and I see no indication of that love affair stopping anytime soon. In fact, it's not even a TV anymore! It's more like a wonderful, glossy as hell, slightly oversized, living room dwelling, 3D member of the family.

And it is NEVER going back.
post #196 of 272 Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Rejoice, friends! It looks like we have the genuine, one-of-a-kind, unique, never-to-be-seen-again TV set ever. biggrin.gif There is nary a sight nor mention of ultrawide TVs from any brand at 2013 CES.

I, for one, am happy that I carped that diem.wink.gif

You and I, both!
I had been eyeballing the European Philips units last year (note concerns on fire hazards, limited US functionality (smart tv) info, import/return issues, etc.), I didn't realize this was available in the US until last Thursday! I read all of the reviews, all about the 'problems' and de died: you people are CRAZY!

Paraphrasing Jack Black in King Kong: if you REALLY loved your CinemaScope dvd's, you'd have jumped.

Needless to say, i had to expand my search to a 200 mile radius, but mine is pre-mounted in the living room as of Sunday (the wife was sick, hence the delay while I nursed her back to a state capable of sustaining news of yet another (emergency) HD upgrade.

Early report: Gorgeous TV, gorgeous 2D display, *phenominal* 3D display, glass reflective as all of hell.
But the image clarity? O.M.G.
The first disc was Armageddon on Blu; awesome. HTTYDragon 3D in CinemaWide, Titanic 3D 16:9, Titanic 2D CW, Puss In Boots 3D CW, Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D CW, RIo 3D CW -- I even fed it some SI 2012 3D Experience 16:9.
The bottom line? My new CinemaWide produces the most amazing (depth wise) 3D pictures I have ever seen - and the blacks in RE:A looked pretty black to me, including Mila's body suit and the crows in the airport graveyard.

When I get back home, I'll throw in my favorite TohoScope battle from the recently released Godzilla Vs. Megalon DVD, which I had screened twice Sunday morning (just because) - in anticipation of the new CinemaWide.

So, to paraphrase Tom Cruise (but not to jinx it): I love this TV!!
and I see no indication of that love affair stopping anytime soon. In fact, it's not even a TV anymore! It's more like a wonderful, glossy as hell, slightly oversized, living room dwelling, 3D member of the family.

And it is NEVER going back.
post #197 of 272 Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM

Got the floor model for $799, going to take the other one back that had flaky tuner issues. After taxes and 3-yr addition of squaretrade, it was $1003.xx total. Saving $220 or so by switching to the floor model.

Also transparent closed captioning does not work on it either, so I guess that is a firmware problem. Sure do hope they fix it, I hate Text black borders all over my pretty screen.
post #198 of 272 Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Welcome to the cult Neuron EdGe. smile.gif

EmailNBheleu, I hope they can fix your floor model XVT. It would suck if they can't fix it or replace it and they offer you a replacement model (probably a 60' Vizio) that would be more like a conventional TV. Besides the issues with unreadable CC and flaky tuner, did you like the XVT and the CinemaWide presentation? Is it (and the 3D) a strong-enough reason to stick to the XVT or can you back to regular 16:9 TV easy and without missing what you'd lose from the XVT? Just curious.
post #199 of 272 Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:

No problem,

let me know if you need any more info

I am still not able to get this to work after installing the latest drivers (same version you are on) and using HDMI port 3 which is labeled HDMI-3/DVI. Perhaps you could guide me as to what I am doing wrong. I have tried several HDMI cables from different brands and version ratings, though I am fairly confident that it is not a cable problem as a signal still gets sent out to the TV when forcing 2560x1080.

Few more questions:

1. When your custom resolution is set and working correctly, what does the TV say under info (Menu -> Help -> System info?

2. Do you have to set any advanced timings or can you use automatic f or the custom settings?

3. Just so I understand correctly, you still had to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel right?

4. Are the above settings what you use? If not, do they work for you?

Thanks again for all your help. I have to be overlooking something or something. Whenever I use that custom resolution, the TV claims it is only getting 1920x1080 and if I am in "normal mode" and not in a auto-stretch or zoom mode, there are black bars on the sides like there would be for normal 16x9 content.

/pulls out hair

edit:
After further review, I was able to run Borderlands at 2560x1080. That being said, the TV is only displaying that signal across a 1920x1080 pixel area unless I choose auto-stretch from the main menu of the TV. If I choose the normal setting, I have bars on the left/right side when using 1920x1080 or 2560x1080. Both auto aspect and normal should be used to correctly display a non-stretched 2560x1080 signal. The quality is just not there when using auto-stretch because it is stretching the 2560x1080 pixels which are squished into a 1920x1080 signal across the entire screen.. Technically, you see more in the game and are viewing more pixels, but they are not 1:1 pixels. The TV is stretching them to make them fit so the quality is not there.

You may not think this is a big deal, but if you plan to use this for a monitor or want good quality, not having non-stretched pixels is a must. A normal TV that runs at 1920x1080 blows this out of the water when forcing 2560x1080 on this vizio.

Screencaps from game:
http://imgur.com/ILEDcAb,Fgdn27p
post #200 of 272 Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM

Typing this from my phone so I'll address only the edit.first off i m not going to pretend to be tech savvy.I'm only looking at this from a "common sense" mindset.with regard to the edit and you're saying a 2560x1080 image is being "shrunk"?to fit into a 1920x1080 image? its true that th
e info button says you're seeing a 1920x1080 picture.but (and I haven't ever checked) does the info button ever reveal 2560z1080?and is the extra real estate "artificial" in the case of the borderlands 2 screens we both posted. I "thought" the extra real estate equated actual(extra)pixels and the info button wasn't accurate (on this particular) case.
Correct me if I'm wrong
Thanks
post #201 of 272 Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM

I think what he's trying to establish is that the video card isn't rendering at 2560x1080 then shrinking to 1920x1080p with black bars because that's what the monitor will accept - GPUs can be set to do this, and the TV would automatically then scale to 2560x1080 because that's what it does with a 1080P signal with black bars. You'd get the right aspect ratio, but you'd lack the image quality of true 2560x1080 input.

The best way to test this is to output a normal 1920x1080p desktop (unstretched), follow by a 2560x1080 desktop and see if the text is as sharp on the 2560x1080 as with the unstretched 1920x1080. It's easier to spot scaling with text than graphics.
post #202 of 272 Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

The best way to test this is to output a normal 1920x1080p desktop ((unstretched)), follow by a 2560x1080 desktop and see if the text is as sharp on the 2560x1080 as with the unstretched 1920x1080. It's easier to spot scaling with text than graphics.

That is exactly what I did to test it. It's immediately obvious that it's not as sharp. It's like when you try to run a monitor at a slightly lower resolution (correct aspect ratio), all the text looses its crispness.

I had a chance to return the TV yesterday, so I had to return it. Sam's club had no problem returning it over two months after I bought it (they give you 90 days).

If you want to use the TV mainly for watching 21x9 movies, I feel this TV does a pretty good job at doing that. For anything else, its better to get a similarly priced normal TV. You'll get far better overall quality and not be stuck with a 46" TV for 16x9 viewing.
post #203 of 272 Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ That's what I got it for, 2:35:1 (and regular) movie viewing. You clearly wanted it for the 2560x1080 resolution to max out your PC real state, and Vizio's design for the inputs/resolution frustrated you at every turn. Thanks for your contributions rogershomework, let us know when/if you find a newer TV you'd like to recommend us. smile.gif
post #204 of 272 Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM

How sad; we've lost another from the fold (rogershomework).
But mine still luckily meets (nearly) the exact dimensions of why I purchased it: which is, I was gonna replace the original 32 inch 3D TV hovering between my fireplace and my mantle piece with a 37 inch - which is the max that would fit perfectly. Now, as the ONLY cinema wide available in America, I sure don't mind compromising and adding the full 46" equivalent height of this beauty instead. Plus the brushed off-silver trim is a perfect match to my brushed bronze fireplace. (I am talking a near perfect integration here, but she IS big).

Now, that being said, here begins my complaints and request for CLASS ACTION assistance:

Who the HELL said that the Cinema Wide XVT3D was Vizio's top of the line product?
My 32in Vizio E3D320VX is a masterpiece. It plays MPO, .avi off of my Fujifilm W3, has DLNA and also employs it's 3D features seamlessly with the Yahoo internet apps; plus, despite being an older unit, has updated it's Netflix software to the latest version, aka the dual Adult vs Child friendly choice upgrade.

Now here's the problem:
the Vizio Cinemawide XVT does NONE of these things.

I repeat: the E3D320VX is a GREAT - dare I say FANTASTIC - product (and the ONLY 32" 3D Smart TV available in America).
I officially note: The XVT cannot stream it's own available Wealth 3D internet app - and manage to employ it's Side-by-Side 3D feature at the same time.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I THOUGHT I was buying the big sister of the E3D320VX; instead, it seems I bought the mentally challenged, adopted step child which has NONE of its most impressive features.

And here is the final sad news and observation:
EVERY other product that I own that provides an online upgrade has a manual "Check for update" option, including the Vizio E3D320VX. Unfortunately, the XVT does not. Maybe I am paranoid, but that SURE does not bode well for a software upgrade in the future.

SO, LET"S TAKE A MORE PROACTIVE APPROACH:

Does anyone know if (and if so, how) we can mount a Class Action lawsuit to force Vizio to provide a software upgrade for this product?
Or how about this as the opening text of a PETITION letter to the President of Vizio:

Dear Vizio President, you have produced 2 of the most wonderful and unique products in the recent history of the 3D TVs in the United States and stood poised to become a leader and a legend in the niche market and 3D entertainment environments, but someone has extremely dropped the ball and has placed your brand and reputation in severe jeopardy...

Any attorneys out there?
Please help us all out and guide us in how we can band together to get Vizio to "repair" this product.
post #205 of 272 Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I'd second that. I've fiddled with the colors as best I could and, while I'm looking at it, the XVT doesn't look too bad. Then I turn on my other HDTV (a six-year old Olevia 747i) and the colors just pop and PQ (even after thousands of hours of use) blows away the Vizio's. As a movie-only TV or secondary TV (ideal when multiple games on different stations demand PIP support) the XVT is a good alternative. Man, those that paid $2,500 for it when it came out (which were probably few since it dropped to $1K in a few months) must be kicking themselves. biggrin.gif

He he.
This is why one should not compare ones TVs to ones better TVs: What one doesn't realize isn't nearly as painful (to the eyes) as what one sees without knowing. (Confucius)

OTOH, I had to send back the ASUS VG23AH 3D IPS LED Backlit Monitor - 80,000,000:1, 1920x1080, 5ms, HDMI, and I have to admit, you could just TELL that display was awesome. Getting the 3D to actually focus across the full 23" at any angle? Nearly impossible. The 2D image? pretty awesome.

The ASUS was probably my best HD display and I can attest that the XVT could not match it; BUT BUT BUT - we all love Tyrannosaurs (or other extinct beasts like the Cinemawide concept) and T-Rexs have some extremely compromised arms, right? Uh, just saying.

So anyway:
It's still not going back!!
post #206 of 272 Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Hi. I also own this set and my return window is closing this week and had some questions if people wouldn't mind answering.

I actually have 2 of these. I was in the market for 2 sets and saw the deals and jumped on them. I gave one to my parents and I kept one for myself.
I do not have cable but my parents do. I only have a blu ray player and I stream.

I think 3d blu rays look really good. 2d Blu rays look great as well. Streaming is so so but that's to be expected. I might have to play with the colors a bit but I think it looks fairly good. I know not all blu rays are the same but overall they all look good.

I do think some of the colors seem a bit washed out especially on the ends but good enough for me. Decent blacks. I do notice light bleeding. I'm not sure if others have that issue. The corners on both sides. Not a deal killer for me as I think the set is novel and interesting.

The one at my parents place has dish network hooked up to it and I think it looks bad with HD signals. I used to have a 32" 1080p 60hz vizio in there and it looks much better for some reason. I hooked it back up and it does look better with dish.

This was a $350 tv and this is supposed to be a much higher end one. This will be mainly for dish network viewing with some movies. I was thinking possibly just going with a plasma for this particular purpose.

I have it hooked up with brand new hdmi cables. Even tried 2 different ones.

Anyone else try cable with this set? Do you think there might be something wrong with the set? I basically have 5 days to decide. I find the picture quite grainy. Some HD channels are better than others but overall it is not as good as the 32" hooked up before with dish.

The viewing angles or the super glossy screen is not too good. Slight shift to either side and forget it. You basically have to be dead center to it. The one I have is in my bedroom and I really only use it at night and it's right in front of the bed so not an issue with the viewing angle or glossy screen unless i put on a lamp. I do love the 21:9 aspect since it's mainly for movies. I needed one for my living room for during the day and with the lights on but I don't think that would be a good idea with the screen
post #207 of 272 Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Hi, Janus00.

I also had a Visio32" (3D) in the LR before swapping up to this one. Personally, I find that the XVT actually is pretty comparable - of course, I did set it to the CNET settings here: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-567926/vizio-cinemawide-xvt3d580cm-picture-settings/

The settings are PER input channel, so that's pretty cool. Also, don't forget to up your brightness and backlight for your 3D mode settings (can be done while in 3D mode).

As to cable, I have Comcast (1080i). I find the image to be fine. I'd suggest checking your cable box (or hitting the info button on the XVT remote) to confirm your signal is HD. Could be that you are doing 720 or 480, which would upscale better on a 32 than it will on this 58 (aka 46 when not in CWide).

At first glance, I agree on the glossy reflections, but oddly, I find that my mind just ignores them now (or focuses them out, as it were). Mine is in the center of the living room wall, with widows on both perpendicular walls and a bright dining room on (beyond) the opposite wall. Of course, I DO prefer viewing at night with the lights off, or as you said, sitting dead center. However, I have never actually closed the curtains to reduce the glare; I like watching it in the bright light of day just as well.

As to bleeding: yes, I think we all get that in the corners. The CNET settings will reduce this nicely. IF you find you have light bleed in the center areas (this happened to me after "bumping" the TV while mounting it), believe it or not, you can "repair" this by pressing gently on the bleed area with ball of your palm. After you release, the bleed will actually be reduced. Repeating this process until it was gone saved me from a shock attack and having to take mine back.

For streaming, I use Netflix, and that works fine. I've also hooked it up to my Boxee Box, Apple TV and XBox 360. All no problems. Also, I've activated the Wealth 3D yahoo app off the apps menu, and that looks sharp as nails. (won't do 3D, but the dual side by side images are the bee's knees).

On a last note: my mother just saw mine last night and today, and she absolutely loves it (in 3D, 2D, 2:35 and 16:9 - yes, we actually have done that many movies in just 2 days). She is very impressed with the TV, its aspect ratio and she thinks it makes a good conversation piece. She is 70.

Good luck with yours! Mine is NEVER going back! (wink).
post #208 of 272 Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM

Hi. Thanks for the response. Well I'm definitely keeping the one in my bedroom. in fact I'm going to watch a movie right now. It's not perfect but good enough.

I will be back there in a couple of days to play around with it some more. They love the look of it and thought I spent a couple thousand on it at least. : )
Like I said blu rays look good but will play around with the cable box.

It could be the settings. I really do like the set and hope I can make the adjustments. I actually have a 4 year warranty with it so if anything does go wrong they fix it or get me a new one. I must say though that the Vizio customer guys are very helpful. I have 2 other older lcd's and I've got their blu ray players and 3 of their 5.1 sound bars lol so I do like their risk taking with new stuff. Some are misses and some are really good.
post #209 of 272 Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Are your parents cinephiles janus00? Just curious why you'd buy your folks a TV meant for movie lovers if they're primarily going to watch Dish or regular stuff unless it's the physical appearance (i.e. AVS' patented 'wife approval factor') matching your budget for their TV killing two birds with the same stone. Everything I've thrown at my XVT (1080i cable, SD DVD, amazon streaming, 3D Blu-ray, 1080p HD-DVD, etc.) looks fine except for the colors and blacks being a little less than perfect and washed out.
post #210 of 272 Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM

hi. well i saw the deal and I said why not lol. They're not ones that like too big of a screen and it definitely looks nice. Also gives me an excuse to use it as well when I visit. This seemed perfect for that. Still need to play around with the signal. Seems like the image seems to be good enough with cable so I'll try and reconnect things and maybe check the settings.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page