Official Vizio XVT3Dxx0CM 21:9 CinemaWide Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 274 Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on SW 2.42. I supposed that's the firmware?

If I recall correctly, this is the same version I got since I bought this few weeks back.

So far I don't have any complaints after the color was calibrated per my previous post.

Also have OTA TV setup as well. Dont watch much, just a bonus. And for the HD channels I can get, they look great too.

The one new change I have added since the calibration, is to use 10 bit output from Media player classic. That gives further improvement. However, it seems to be most relevant in test screens. Before I turn on 10-bit, I have a hard time discerning 75% green from 100% and virtually impossible for blue. Now with 10-bit, the difference is clear. However, in-movie viewing the difference is not as huge. My point is that it's probably fine for most people not using PC/MPC as the main movie source.

So, what aspect of the set concerns you most that could be potentially addressed by new firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 274 Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

This has to to be a first.. I have never seen a TV released, discontinued, and abandoned so fast like a bad virus (without atleast a couple of firmware upgrades first) or at least a very good reason. frown.gif

Yes, Vizio does not look back. I doubt there will be any future firmware. People don't buy Vizio for superior performance or outstanding support. People buy Vizio because it's cheap.

I, for one, was fooled by CinemaWide, thinking Vizio might have moved up and beyond cheap and disposable TVs like Hyundai did with its cars.

At least CinemaWide lasted a model year. I remember another Vizio product, a 50" plasma with HQV video processing, that lasted may be 6 months. It came to the market late in the model year and disappeared by the model year-end.

It's Vizio. Don't expect too much, get an extended warranty and you'll be okay. tongue.gif
post #243 of 274 Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Totally agree. I knew what I was getting into with Vizio and can't say I'm surprised there will be no more updates. Got a one-of-a-kind TV for my cinephile needs though, and so far every time I watch an anamorphic movie (from any John Carpenter flick ever made to even disposable little flicks like "Vigilante" or the "Kill Bills") I'm so glad I own this set. smile.gif
post #244 of 274 Old 06-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just curious, is there an issue that needs fixing? I wouldn't expect them to update firmware for no reason. Does Sony or Panasonic or Samsung continue to update for years especially if there's no problems?
post #245 of 274 Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Just curious, is there an issue that needs fixing? I wouldn't expect them to update firmware for no reason. Does Sony or Panasonic or Samsung continue to update for years especially if there's no problems?

I have a lingering audio issue where sound fades and cuts out then comes back on rapidly. I may be developing a video issue where the autofill mode takes a while to fill the screen. If Vizio was a first-tier brand, I am sure a firmware update would've been issued by now because the first-tier brands like Samsung and Sony, at least, pretend to care about their brand reputation. Vizio, on the other hand, once they get your money, well, they got your money. tongue.gif
post #246 of 274 Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

I have a lingering audio issue where sound fades and cuts out then comes back on rapidly. I may be developing a video issue where the autofill mode takes a while to fill the screen. If Vizio was a first-tier brand, I am sure a firmware update would've been issued by now because the first-tier brands like Samsung and Sony, at least, pretend to care about their brand reputation. Vizio, on the other hand, once they get your money, well, they got your money. tongue.gif

Sounds like a serious issue. Did you call customer support?

Are you sure it is a problem with the set and not the upstream components?

Sorry to hear that!
post #247 of 274 Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonchef View Post

Sounds like a serious issue. Did you call customer support?

Are you sure it is a problem with the set and not the upstream components?

Sorry to hear that!

No worries. Audio issue occurs may be a handful of times during a course of a movie. It happens quickly enough that it's not too noticeable. And it's mostly definitely not enough of a distraction for me to suffer through Vizio's so-called customer service who will make me jump through whatever idiotic hoops, i.e., procedures, in their "playbook" rather than truly solve the problem after a prolonged period of putting me on hold.

I imagine whatever board that handles the sound is slightly off spec since the audio issue happens with all sources including the built-in Netflix. Since it's Vizio, I made sure I got an extended warranty so I think I'm good for the next several years.
post #248 of 274 Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Could it be? Today is the CinemaWide's one year anniversary? I just noticed that the OP of this thread stated that the CinemaWide launched on this day one year ago, which is also when this thread started. Doesn't seem like it's already been out a year, does it?

Anyway, while I haven't encountered any audio issues since my last post, I have encountered a couple of other little quirks with this set. One time it would not turn on with either the remote nor the power button on the set itself. Another time it would not switch inputs. Had to unplug it both times to get it to work. So far, I have only encountered the AR switching problem one other time since my last post. It was during the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition BD trailer on the Rambo "Extended Cut" BD. The AR switching was ridiculous. Thankfully it was only a trailer! BTW, The Rambo BD is great for adjusting the set to get great black and color levels as there are tons of nighttime scenes and obviously lots of green jungle scenes. Plus it's Rambo!

Unfortunately, I never heard back from the Vizio rep that I was communicating with over FB, despite several attempts at re-reaching out to him... I really wish they would just give us a dedicated 21:9 mode. Oh well... Happy one year CinemaWide!
post #249 of 274 Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Remember when Vizio was asking $2,499 for this set brand-new? I remember seriously thinking that was a decent price for a one-of-a-kind 21:9 TV set. My, how a year, hands-on time with the set and Costco have changed the perception of this set's value, to the point that now I feel like I overpaid when I got this set for a grand + tax + s&h. Oh well, as much as I enjoy the panoramic epics and good-looking studio films it's the small and little movies (like 1982's "Vigilante" and 2006's "Southland Tales") shot in 2:35:1 that surprise me with how the expanded field of view sucks you into the film, whether it's any good or not. As a movie-only TV set the Cinemawide is worth the $799 I wish I had paid for. smile.gif
post #250 of 274 Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Oh, I don't know. I think it's worth the grand that I've paid for. It is one-of-a-kind. Any more, I would have felt ripped off considering all the incompleteness of the TV. Other than the audio issues, I am perfectly content with mine. smile.gif
post #251 of 274 Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Try using the Netflix App in your Blu Ray player.. See if that works out better for you. smile.gif

Unfortunately, and in fact, I did. Netflix For Kids is just SO much better than the XVT interface.
post #252 of 274 Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Actually, Vizio released a fleet wide software update a few months back to update the Vizio Apps software, etc, etc. I also have Vizio's other most unique product, the e3D320VZ 32" 1080p Cinema 3D Smart TV (I love it, I love it, I love it) and it alerted me and updated itself as the global rollout was happening. Now the e3D320VX predates the XVT by at least a year, and having just checked under settings, it tells me it did something to itself as recently as July 6th 2013 (LET and LDT dates). Unfortunately, the XVT remains at v2.42 dated July 2, 2012. :-(

It is amazing how crazy it seems that the CinemaWide XVT could be such an orphaned product.

On the other hand, and speaking of orphans, Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters is an AWESOME piece of mid-budget cheesy fun, and it looks AMAZING in 3D on the XVT!

My XVT is mounted into the granite, centered at sitting position eye level, just above my bronze bezeled fireplace (yes, it's a perfect match) - and it is NEVER going back!! He he.

Even without an upgrade, We are the lucky ones, my friends; enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
post #253 of 274 Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How deep is the black level on these? Is it an edge lit LED or back lit LED? Has anyone measured it? Just curious to know if it produces jet black letterbox or piliar box bars. smile.gif
post #254 of 274 Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:

How deep is the black level on these? Is it an edge lit LED or back lit LED? Has anyone measured it? Just curious to know if it produces jet black letterbox or piliar box bars. smile.gif

It's edge lit, but I wouldn't know about the black bars because I only do CinemaWide - ha ha ha, just kidding.
No, these are not the market's blackest blacks along the edges, but it does have a full ranges of settings controls.; I set mine to the CNET settings and haven't looked back.

Like I expressed in an earlier post: if you don't buy this 58" 21:9 CinemaWide HD 3D Smart TV (especially at $799.00), then you just never even WANTED a 58" 21:9 CinemaWide HD 3D Smart TV. And the Cinema-3D passive 3D on this thing is (wait for it...) yes, AMAZING!

IMHO, of course. :-)
post #255 of 274 Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #256 of 274 Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^ Thirded.wink.gif

And well put. Ether you have a use case and desire for this rig or you're looking for reasons to talk yourself out of it.
post #257 of 274 Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Just want to post an update.

My auto aspect stopped working one day. After comparing to OTA TV source (which still works), I realize it is my AMD 57xx card acting up.
Been itching to to try Nvidia for some time as some reported it can force 2560x1080 (perhaps the newer AMD card can do that too, not sure).

Anyway. upgraded to GTX 660 and not only it worked, the color comes up even better, and the controls are more user friendly.

Now the set look even better!

If interested, I can post my settings - on the TV side now I just use factory default and it works well with OTA HD.

Reading PDFs in two-page mode in 2560 is a bliss.
post #258 of 274 Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM

I think I have solved my audio problem. I turned off the volume leveling function and I haven't had any audio cut outs. On hindsight, I guess that makes sense. Volume leveling function actively adjusts the volume to a certain range so if that function acts up, it can decrease the volume when it shouldn't.
post #259 of 274 Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 AM

I purchased mine Nov 23rd 2012 for $999.95 at Costco.  2 months later I had to have it replaced because the screen developed hot spots in the 4 corners.  Looked like a large faded spot in each corner.

2 weeks ago I received an email about buying an extended warranty through square trade.  I was actually going to buy it on payday.  On payday friday I forgot.  Remembered on saturday and unfortunately it was too late.  Then sunday the TV died.  Actually it would not stay powered on for more than a few seconds.

I had just completed building a media wall (niche wall http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2296148/family-room-theater/).

Fortunately Costso extends the manufacturers warranty out another year for a total of two years.  Now Vizio is sending me out a grand new one.  The will be my third now.

I love this TV but if it has issues again next year after my warranty runs out I am out of luck.  I will have to make adjustments to the media wall to fit a standard aspect ratio TV.  (Fortunately I planned for this by adding an extra stud above the top of the niche.

Wondering how many others here have had to have theirs replaced under warranty?

post #260 of 274 Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Any way to get my hands on the 71 incher?
post #261 of 274 Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Unfortunately I don't think they ever made any, or at least any for sale to consumers.

post #262 of 274 Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So, any CinemaWide warriors enjoying their 58 inches of widescreen goodness out there? smile.gif My other HDTV (a 47" Olevia 747i) has developed trouble in the speakers that prevent me from even turning the unit on, so my XVT58 is now my default HDTV. The Sochi Olympics are starting and, along with widescreen movies and 3D stuff, I'm enjoying this bad boy a ton. Anybody? Bueller?
post #263 of 274 Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

So, any CinemaWide warriors enjoying their 58 inches of widescreen goodness out there? smile.gif

I enjoy it, but it's a love/hate (or rather love/annoyed) relationship. Still great for 3D and cinemascope!

But then there are the quirks:
  • Missing aspect ratio adjustment options (not even one to do a fixed conversion from 16:9 1080p to the full screen, either letterbox crop or stretch!);
  • Pressing the 'menu' button while playing a Blu-Ray drops the player back into the disk menu, instead of bringing up the Vizio menu (Vizio mapped the menu button to CEC!);
  • Every time I change the volume on the AVR it pops up the volume OSD for 5 seconds;
  • Whenever it goes into 3D mode it insists on showing not one, but two warning dialogs;
  • It sometimes decides to reboot out of nowhere;
  • I recently noticed a few colums of the LCD to be dead until the set heats up;
  • And the viewing angle / contrast is still bad. I watch most 16:9 content on my Plasma in the bedroom because of this.

Maybe someone can hack the european Philips firmware and port it onto this TV, they shoud have very similar hardware. The Philips CinemaWides had tons of aspect ratio modes, even a few useful ones!

Oh Vizio, firmware update, please!!!
post #264 of 274 Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So, any CinemaWide warriors enjoying their 58 inches of widescreen goodness out there? smile.gifMy other HDTV (a 47" Olevia 747i) has developed trouble in the speakers that prevent me from even turning the unit on, so my XVT58 is now my default HDTV. The Sochi Olympics are starting and, along with widescreen movies and 3D stuff, I'm enjoying this bad boy a ton. Anybody? Bueller?

Hey dad1153!

I know this is off topic but just a quick reminder, you could always replace the speakers and / or the speaker wire - so long as the speaker wire is NOT too thick. 

Okay, back on topic... :rolleyes: 

post #265 of 274 Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... I bought one of these for my home theater a couple of years ago. My wife and I really love it. She especially loves watching action films on it. We had a 46" screen previously and this one fits the space perfectly only it's just a few inches wider. That's what I liked the most, it's a 46" in 16:9 and like a 65" in 21:9.

When I had DirecTV installed the "tech" thought I had some function engaged to keep the picture from filling the screen. He did not visually notice it is not a 16:9 display. I actually had to demonstrate that it is a cinemascope screen with a Blu-ray movie. When it started out as a small 21:9 picture in the middle of the screen and then popped out to fill it his head snapped back as if someone had thrown a ball at his face. I had to laugh.

Another thing I really like about it is that 21:9 DVD content doesn't look too bad either... sure some of the picture is a little fuzzy, but the close-ups and medium shots are pretty crystal clear considering.

post #266 of 274 Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

So, any CinemaWide warriors enjoying their 58 inches of widescreen goodness out there? smile.gif My other HDTV (a 47" Olevia 747i) has developed trouble in the speakers that prevent me from even turning the unit on, so my XVT58 is now my default HDTV. The Sochi Olympics are starting and, along with widescreen movies and 3D stuff, I'm enjoying this bad boy a ton. Anybody? Bueller?

Hey dad1153,

I remember the 747i (and the 65" 265) back in the day. They had the great Silicon Optix Realta (or was it Reon) video processing chip in them. And Heavy Glass over the front.

I always wanted one, and their is one for sale locally on craigslist for $275. Do you know the approximate weight of the 747i? I think Im going to pick it up. Thanks.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #267 of 274 Old 04-24-2014, 03:58 PM

According to an out of date Tiger Direct page the set weighs about 164lbs.

post #268 of 274 Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I knew it was heavy...but...eek.gifbiggrin.gif

My 2007 Vizio GV42LF weighs in at a hefty 60 to 80 lbs.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #269 of 274 Old 06-19-2014, 06:37 PM

I got a weird problem. I recently dusted off an old DVD of Twister. For some reason, my CinemaWide can not get a lock-in. It goes in and out of fill-the-screen mode. Other blurays and DVDs seem to be fine. Was Twister not mastered correctly in DVD? Dang it, I really, really wish Vizio gave us the ability to lock in the zoom or fill-the-screen mode.
post #270 of 274 Old 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
I got a weird problem. I recently dusted off an old DVD of Twister. For some reason, my CinemaWide can not get a lock-in. It goes in and out of fill-the-screen mode. Other blurays and DVDs seem to be fine. Was Twister not mastered correctly in DVD? Dang it, I really, really wish Vizio gave us the ability to lock in the zoom or fill-the-screen mode.
If you have a particular DVD where the Auto Aspect detection is acting funky, you can easily bypass it setting wide setting to Zoom 1, then going into TV settings; Picture; More; Size & Position; Vertical Size. Then adjust till the screen is filled. A bit of a pain, but it takes just a moment or two, and your ratio will stay parked throughout the entire movie with no aggravation.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page