AVS Forum banner

Pasonic LCDs only 120hz? Outdated and should be avoided?

629 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  PlasmaPZ80U 
#1 ·
With TVs going up to 480hz now is the 120 of the latest 2012 Panasonic models mean it is a dead technology and pretty much bargain basement?

Should the 2012s be avoided at all costs due to lack of, at the very least, 240hz displays?

#6 ·
Has it been verified that these have an actual refresh rate of 480 or are they 120 or 240 with backlight strobing? LG's "Tru-Motion 480" could be as fudgeable as Samsungs 960 "Clear Motion Rate", and since Vizio's just a marketing company they probably don't know what they're actually selling. I think maybe we're looking at 240hz sets with backlight strobing.

In any case Panny comes right out and tells you their WT series is

a true refresh rate of 240hz with 8x "backlight scanning" to give 1920! At least this confirms they have a true panel refresh rate of 240hz.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L47WT50

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo  /t/1418052/pasonic-lcds-only-120hz-outdated-and-should-be-avoided#post_22177946

With TVs going up to 480hz now is the 120 of the latest 2012 Panasonic models mean it is a dead technology and pretty much bargain basement?

Should the 2012s be avoided at all costs due to lack of, at the very least, 240hz displays?
I wouldn't avoid them due to features but performance at the cost of other competitors in the same bracket but better PQ. The Pannys seem to have poor color accuracy and contrast.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism  /t/1418052/pasonic-lcds-only-120hz-outdated-and-should-be-avoided#post_22179399

I wouldn't avoid them due to features but performance at the cost of other competitors in the same bracket but better PQ. The Pannys seem to have poor color accuracy and contrast.

LGs have better color with their IPS sets. Contrast ratio and black levels are the main weaknesses of IPS panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.