Anyone here have a rather thicker TV and doesnt care? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sure i would love if mine was bit thinner,but it doesnt bother me. When i see the tvs in the stores i always look at how thick they are and cant help but be amazed when i see razor thin TVs. But i wasnt willing to pay the steep price for a super thin LED anyways so still using LCD and went for bang for my buck sony bravia. i rarely have people over anyways and i watch from the front of the tv, not side.smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
My TV is 15cm thick and i don't care. Thickness is of none influence when i'm shopping fo a TV. I admit that the ulta thin is ultra cool though smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

sure i would love if mine was bit thinner,but it doesnt bother me. When i see the tvs in the stores i always look at how thick they are and cant help but be amazed when i see razor thin TVs. But i wasnt willing to pay the steep price for a super thin LED anyways so still using LCD and went for bang for my buck sony bravia. i rarely have people over anyways and i watch from the front of the tv, not side.smile.gif

I fail to understand the reason for this thread.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

I fail to understand the reason for this thread.

Is a psychological human need to know they are not alone in this world and others too are just as wacky as they are. KIDDING!

But everybody have GOTTA look at a Sammy C9000 series live: .38" thin. One Third of an Inch! It's so thin you can't use a regular VESA mount for it because the screws would poke through, it got to be "picture-mounted." And it's all CHROME like a Terminator T1000.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 AM

Liked: 12
You start your post by saying you would love to have a thinner TV. Then you give reasons why you don't want one. I don't understand.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LED is overrated its for posers whos top priority is the thinness of their tv.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
LED displays are thicker not thinner rolleyes.gif

at least the the good LEDs with local dimming
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If the TV is on its table stand, it usually doesn't matter how thick the panel is other than the LED is a little lighter in weight for moving it.
Where an ultra-thin panel is advantageous is when wall mounted to make it appear more like a painting hanging on the wall.

A thicker panel however can offer more room for better internal speakers - an advantage.
Along with older CCFL backlit LCD sets, Samsung has some new cheaper LED models (the EH series) that has fewer rear backlit LEDs instead of the more expensive edge-lite LED models (ES series). The EH LED models are thicker panels like the older CCFL LCD models too.

Having backlights in the rear (CCFL LCDs and some of the cheaper LEDs from Samsung - the EH series) offers less of the flashlighting and clouding effects visible on some very dark/black scenes - another advantage.

Unfortunately the cheaper CCFL LCDs and EH LED models don't offer the high end features the thin edge-lit LED models do, such as Smart TV with 3D and extra HDMI ports.
For example the highest end EH model Samsung has out is the EH6070 that offers 3D but no Smart TV (internet apps) and only 2 HDMI ports.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I've got a full array backlit LED that's 4½" thick. I've got it corner mounted from a wall bracket and being in a corner and that thick the built in sound is pretty good. Thicker is good for sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 12
Just got rid of our old Sony XBR 40" CRT set and it was 24" thick and it was about 350-400 pounds. We do miss the wonderful picture that "Thick" old set produced rolleyes.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page