Anyone here still have an LCDTV and doesnt care for LED yet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my next TV will be LED but not today, picked up a 55" Sony LCD due to saving a good chunk of money. I was tempted to jump to LED finally but i backed out last min. Ive been using bang for my buck, basic entry level Samsung and Sony bravias for the past 8 years and had nothing but success with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Our bedroom TV is a Panasonic LCD (IPS panel, non-LED, CCFL back lighting) and it's great. Awesome viewing angles and excellent uniformity (for an LCD). It replaced a Samsung LED that had horrible light-bleed along the edges and corners, although it was much thinner but I don't care about that.

I've actually had really bad luck with just about every edge-lit LED I've owned. Never been happy with them.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purchased an LG 42LK450 back in January for $500 at Costco. I went with it because we also have an older 47 inch LG from 2008. Both have IPS panels and the picture is very good. However, it wasn't until after that I found out how good a TV the LK450 is.

I wanted to stay away from the LED backlight sets, mainly because of price in comparison to the CCFL sets, but also they are fairly new technology. Stay with the tried and true, as the saying goes.

The next set, however, will more than likely be an LED (unless something else comes along) as the CCFL sets are almost extinct.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone here still have an LCDTV and doesnt care for LED yet? .

As anyone who frequent this forum already know.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I still have not made the change to LED-LCD yet. 2011 was probably the last good year for CCFL-LCDs, though. Next TV will probably be a full-array LED-LCD (priced like the Samsung EH series) unless something better comes out.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12
Some of us have it allll figured out.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LED is overrated its for posers whos top priority is the thinness of their tv.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Why do you keep posting the same thing in different threads ,the truth is there are no LED displays on the market ,the LCD display with local dimming LED backlighting is the best LCD display and is THICKER NOT THINNER rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I still have not made the change to LED-LCD yet. 2011 was probably the last good year for CCFL-LCDs, though. Next TV will probably be a full-array LED-LCD (priced like the Samsung EH series) unless something better comes out.

Yes indeed the new lower cost fewer LED rear backlit Samsung EH series models appear to be a good low cost and lower power CCFL LCD replacement. In the same size the EH5000 models are already a bit cheaper than the corresponding D550 models from last year at this time.

The EH have a similar thicker panel like the older CCFL LCD models did, that might allow for better sound quality with thicker speakers too.
I also notice in the stores that the newer EH models have a smaller border panel around the display screen than the CCFL LCD models (like D550) from last year.
However the new lower cost EH models have barebones inputs like only 2HDMI ports, compared to 4HDMI ports on last year's D550 CCFL LCD models.
Buts thats OK for use as a secondary room TV in a smaller size where maybe only one or two external devices are connected.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post

Why do you keep posting the same thing in different threads ,the truth is there are no LED displays on the market ,the LCD display with local dimming LED backlighting is the best LCD display and is THICKER NOT THINNER rolleyes.gif

I mean edge lit, cause very verry few people buy top of the line tvs, most want best price. Edge lits are very thin.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Most people don't watch their Tvs from the side so I never understood why thinness is such a big deal.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Most people don't watch their Tvs from the side so I never understood why thinness is such a big deal.

LOL. Good one. biggrin.gif
post #13 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Aside from the Samsung D630 (still available, 2011 model), there really aren't any worthwhile ccfl sets still being made, and none with higher-end feature sets. I miss higher-end CCFL sets, because they often had better picture than their LED counterparts. I think 2010 was the last year of great LCD sets..like the Sony EX500 and HX701, and the Samsung C650/670 and C750.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Silver RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #14 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Aside from the Samsung D630 (still available, 2011 model), there really aren't any worthwhile ccfl sets still being made, and none with higher-end feature sets. I miss higher-end CCFL sets, because they often had better picture than their LED counterparts. I think 2010 was the last year of great LCD sets..like the Sony EX500 and HX701, and the Samsung C650/670 and C750.

aren't you forgetting the LG LK series (2011) and LD series (2010)?
post #15 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Actually, I'm gonna bite your (troll) hook and say, my TV is LED full array local dimming and as thin a pencil (no lies). And I'll put it up against any top TV out there (even yours).

And I didn't by cheap. I bought very expensive. Why? Because I'm of the opinion that if you buy the best you will have the best for several years. Thus saving money in the end AND having the best there is. When I go home at the end of the day, the last thing I think about is: flashlighting, clouding, reflections, or bad PQ. What do you think about when watching your TV? As I peruse these forums, I see many people complaining bout the same thing over and over again trying to fix the issues themselves in unproven ways or constant pq adjustments. "Try this, try that".... "Did you call the company?".... "Did you win the panel lottery?"...."Rub the area lightly for a few seconds"...."loosen the bolts".... No thanks guys.

TV's are an investment. Invest in your set and reap dividends!
post #16 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

Actually, I'm gonna bite your (troll) hook and say, my TV is LED full array local dimming and as thin a pencil (no lies). And I'll put it up against any top TV out there (even yours).
And I didn't by cheap. I bought very expensive. Why? Because I'm of the opinion that if you buy the best you will have the best for several years. Thus saving money in the end AND having the best there is. When I go home at the end of the day, the last thing I think about is: flashlighting, clouding, reflections, or bad PQ. What do you think about when watching your TV? As I peruse these forums, I see many people complaining bout the same thing over and over again trying to fix the issues themselves in unproven ways or constant pq adjustments. "Try this, try that".... "Did you call the company?".... "Did you win the panel lottery?"...."Rub the area lightly for a few seconds"...."loosen the bolts".... No thanks guys.

Very well said. It seems everybody wants something for nothing. They buy cheap and then complain about the set not performing properly.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

it was actually an important factor for me when making my purchase two years ago, but i cant say i'd care about thinness in any other scenario.

due to the limited viewing space in my bedroom, i wanted the tv as far back as possible, essentially right up against the wall. my samsung c8000 was one of, if not the thinnest set at the time, so i chose it over certain plasmas and other led sets which were not only thicker, but didnt offer the slim wall mount which brought the tv even closer to the wall.
Quote:

wrong.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Very well said. It seems everybody wants something for nothing. They buy cheap and then complain about the set not performing properly.
Everybody? I think I will take exception to that.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Everybody? I think I will take exception to that.

Give me a break. It's a figure of speech. Take any kind of exception that you wish.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Give me a break. It's a figure of speech. Take any kind of exception that you wish.
smile.gif
post #21 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree with your post but to be fair, I think the OP, without implicitly mentioning, was comparing LED edge-lit LCDs to CCFL back-lit LCDs. Of course full-array local dimming LED-back-lit LCDs trump both the aforementioned displays but they're limited in size (generally 55"+, at least where I am), models (not every manufacturer makes them), and priced astronomically high, relatively speaking.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page