Bright, sun-drenched room requiring a big screen TV - request for guidance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello,

Would appreciate if you can provide your thoughts on the flat panel TVs that you think would be a best fit for my bright living room.

Currently have a four-year old 46 inch Samsung LCD that I am quite happy with, touchwood. smile.gif Planning to upsize.

TV purpose: No gaming; primarily watch regular cable (Verizon FIOs), movies and sports. Watch Netflix regularly; currently streamed wireless thru blue-ray dvd player. Internet surfing - not much right now, but will increase if TV provides for easy access.

Budget - $2.500 to $3,500.

Basically boils down to:

1. LED or plasma?

2. 60 or 65 or 70 inch? - Plan to wall-mount it; Distance from couch to TV is ~ 11 feet.

Some pictures of my living room to illustrate how bright it can be :

- first two show the floor-to-ceiling glass walls on the west (left side) and north; though windows are tinted and I have shades, there are no tall buildings in the west. As a result, LR is exceedingly bright in the summer evenings thanks to the glorious sun.

- second two show the white wall (facing the west windows) where I plan to mount the TV.

Depth from white wall to couch on the west wall is about 11 ft:

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I normally advocate plasma but with that many windows with little or nothing in the way of curtains/drapes/blinds it's gonna take an led/lcd to overcome that ambient light during the day. I'd go with something with a matte or semi-matte screen, which in larger screen sizes is going to pretty
much restrict you to a Sharp as other makes all seem to have shiny mirror-like screens.

Sharps also seem to have among the least problems with flashlighting among edge-lit sets.

Steve S.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I do have blinds that block the sunlight but still leave the room bright. Toying with the idea of getting thick curtains/drapes at least for one of the windows directly opposite to the TV.

I am now contemplating borrowing my friend's plasma (46 inch though) to see how bad it can be.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Liked: 11
Have a similar setup and going through the same dilemma's. I'd really like to get the Pioneer 65" VT50 but I think the rooms ambient light is going to kill it as we have no blinds or curtains on our windows. Leaning towards a Samsung LED 60ES8000 at the moment.

While my personal preference is for plasma I think the 60ES8000 is probably 'good enough' to tide me over for a couple of years and it should have the brightness I need to get over the lighting of the room. At some point in the future when OLED is at sensible pricing I can then re-purpose the LED into a 'gaming tv' for the kids.

Good luck - be interested in what you decide.

Tolax
post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolax View Post

Have a similar setup and going through the same dilemma's. I'd really like to get the Pioneer 65" VT50 but I think the rooms ambient light is going to kill it as we have no blinds or curtains on our windows. Leaning towards a Samsung LED 60ES8000 at the moment.
While my personal preference is for plasma I think the 60ES8000 is probably 'good enough' to tide me over for a couple of years and it should have the brightness I need to get over the lighting of the room. At some point in the future when OLED is at sensible pricing I can then re-purpose the LED into a 'gaming tv' for the kids.
Tolax

Thanks Tolax! A bit glad that you also have a similar set up and dilemma. smile.gif

Let me check the Samsung model you mentioned (and also the Pioneer).

I have never owned a plasma before and am seriously thinking of going for one damn the light and the negative reviews.

Three models that keep topping my list are the Panny ST and GT series (65 inches), and the Samsung E6500 (60 inch though).

However, I am in no rush and let me research your two TVs and give my 2 cents.

Thanks again and do keep me posted on what you decide. smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolax View Post

Tolax

Tolax,

I checked the 60ES8000 and it certainly appears to be a good one even though it is a 2011 model.

Read that they might be have peeling issues though. Did you come across that?

Funny that we are chatting about a plasma in the LCD thread. smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
60es8000 is a 2012 model
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page