Moving From Pioneer Kuro to LCD/LED - What models have comparable black levels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the Pioneer Kuro 5080 for a few years now and it's a phenomenal TV, even if it's "only" 720p. I'm getting the itch to "upgrade" to a 60" or larger LCD/LED, but am very concerned that I won't be able to find something with as good or better black levels. To anyone who may have moved from the Kuro, what LCD/LED HDTVs have the best true contrast ratios that I'd be happy with?

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 10
I think Sharp is the only thing that gets close. Maybe the es8000 from Samsung might be the next choice from there.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Why not the 2012 Panasonic plasma models? They are reportedly the closest to a Kuro in black levels now and in the same size range are far cheaper than the very expensive high-end LED models with non-edgelit backlighting.
The edge-lit models have flashlighting and clouding in dark scenes viewing in a dark environment in contrast.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

I've had the Pioneer Kuro 5080 for a few years now and it's a phenomenal TV, even if it's "only" 720p. I'm getting the itch to "upgrade" to a 60" or larger LCD/LED, but am very concerned that I won't be able to find something with as good or better black levels. To anyone who may have moved from the Kuro, what LCD/LED HDTVs have the best true contrast ratios that I'd be happy with?
Only the Sharp Elite equals the Kuro in black levels and for an LCD is similar in other areas. The only other panel with comparable blacks/ansi would be the VT50 from Panasonic.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

you'd likely be happiest with the panasonic VT50 plasma
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Find a place where you can check out the Elite Pro X5 LED/LCD and Panasonic VT50 Plasma side by side. These are your best choices from each panel technology.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page