*Official* Toshiba XXL5200U Thread (50L5200U, 46L5200U, 40L5200U) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up a 50L5200U, but it seems that Toshiba has a some other sizes of this same model so this thread is for any size of that model. Really liking the TV so far.

- Impressive picture and viewing angles for an Edge-lit LED LCD.
- The actual TV and bezel are razor thin for a TV at this price point.
- The remote is lacking, but I use a Google TV remote to control everything
- No smart apps or 3D - however again, I use a Google TV box to do all of that and more
- The DynaLight system produces impressive black levels for an Edge Lit LED

Two issues so far --

1. I can't tell if there is anyway to tell if the signal being sent to the TV is at 60hz vs 24hz (24p mode that some Blu-Rays offer to make the movie look more like film in a theater) from my PS3. My old TV always showed "1080p 60hz" or "1080p 24hz" when I pushed the info button. Its listed as supported in the manual but I can't seem to tell if/when its being used.

2. Seems that the "Game Mode" option doesn't stay after you switch to another input or turn the TV off. Very annoying because I find I need to go back into anytime I want to play PS3 or Wii. Although with "Game Mode" on I didn't notice any lag. Without it there was noticeable lag.

Maybe these two items can be addressed in a future Firmware update?

I would be interested in hearing what settings other people are using on their TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 PM

I read about this tv on the net yesterday. I saw it at bb. I was impressed looked at the 40" model. What do you think of the sound?
post #3 of 41 Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have not tested the sound as I use a sound bar. I would advise to purchase a sound bar (at any quality) as they are almost always better. This TV is so thin that there isn't much room for decent speakers.
post #4 of 41 Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Liked: 27
Is there an issue with ghosting? A guy on the best buy website said;

"What's not so great: Ghosting, motion blur watching sports events
Tv has a crystal clear screen and is very bright, but if your a sports watcher like myself look elsewhere. Kept this tv one day before returning,
Could not deal with the motion blur and ghosting while watching the NBA.
Tv is good on energy and is thin, but I would highly recommend a tv with a higher refresh rate such as a plasma."
post #5 of 41 Old 07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Ghosting???????
post #6 of 41 Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Ghosting???????

I don't understand your post. Are you asking what ghosting is?
post #7 of 41 Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Anyway I got to check the the TV out at best buy but best buy absolutely sucks and is essentially worthless when it comes to trying to make a judgement of the TV unless its in the Magnolia section. I mean the TV looked decent I guess for it being 15ft high and playing some awful store feed.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

I have not noticed any ghosting watching sports (baseketball, baseball, and football highlights). However, I keep the 120 hz"off. I hate the super smooth look.. its possible that the smooth motion looked strange to the Best Buy reviewer. Even though the 120 hz is supposed to help with fast motion - I believe it makes it look much worse.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 11
Any owners care to comment on the sd quality (cable) of these models ?

arthur
post #10 of 41 Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

I don't understand your post. Are you asking what ghosting is?

I am. What do you mean by ghosting? Do you mean motion blur or double image?
post #11 of 41 Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherds View Post

Any owners care to comment on the sd quality (cable) of these models ?
arthur

I thought the SD looked horrible out of the box, but after adjusting the settings it doesn't look too bad. Watching 480p DVD looks good as well. I have the 50 inch so SD is stretched quite a bit, but I am satisfied with it.
post #12 of 41 Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

I am. What do you mean by ghosting? Do you mean motion blur or double image?

Yeah basically motion blur or double image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosting_%28television%29
post #13 of 41 Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancegrant View Post

I thought the SD looked horrible out of the box, but after adjusting the settings it doesn't look too bad. Watching 480p DVD looks good as well. I have the 50 inch so SD is stretched quite a bit, but I am satisfied with it.

Thanks for the reply .Care to share the settings you used ? Do you have to alternate different settings between hd and sd or does one grouping rule them all (ala one ring )

arthur
post #14 of 41 Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Hi

I hope this is the right forum

Did anyone face problem connecting through HDMI.. The TV is not recognizing anything - cable box, Xbox, laptop (Sony/Dell).. I updated the TV firmware as well..

Any suggestions are welcome..

Thanks
post #15 of 41 Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM

just received a 46L5200U yesterday and have enjoyed the initial experience so far. picture is outstanding and extremely clear. default calibration out of the box and everything has a very soap opera effect to it. obviously i have read that turning off clearframe will reduce this. only 24 hours into it but no discernible flashlighting or clouding in dark scenes. again this is all at default settings.

and yes there is noticeable ghosting during fast paced sports sequences. but it is seems to be localized to just the football during a long pass or the puck when being shot. nba basketball didn't exhibit any ghosting of the ball during passing or shooting. strangely enough baseball didn't seem to have any ghosting during pitching sequences either---probably due to the viewing angle over the pitcher's shoulder, a longer camera angle might produce more ghosting on the ball. none of the players in any of the sports i watched seemed to be ghosting when running or moving quickly.

i am going to play around with the clearframe settings tonight to see if i can eliminate the ball or puck ghosting. hopefully this is possible otherwise i will have to make a return since i will be watching plenty of sports on it.

any recommended settings for the basics like brightness, contrast, etc..??? saw some numbers from an amazon review, guess that is a good place to start as any. will post back in a few days with my results. really want to like this tv...
post #16 of 41 Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM

I picked up a 50L5200U yesterday from hh gregg. It was an open box display and got it for 699. Tv is in great condition for a demo, and has a beautiful picture. Must not be a very popular model here, I see there are no user settings posted by anyone, and not too many post either. So have been tweaking it and looking pretty good. Does anyone know how to access the service menu so I can check the panel hours? I have searched google and have found nothing on this. Thanks!
post #17 of 41 Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM

Service menu access Toshiba, anyone?
post #18 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just bought this set at a Best Buy event, and it has some ghosting for sure (while watching ER on DVD).

I will turn clearframe off and see if that helps...there is plenty of flashlighting from the corners in dark scenes, is this typical of LED TVs?

I am replacing a 32 Regza LCD and the picture isn't that much better and has ghosting on the Regza, nor flashlighting...

This is a 50" version.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #19 of 41 Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Does anyone know how the 46L5200U compares to the Samsung UN46EH6000? They seem pretty similar as far as I can tell, and similar in price. I'm having a hard time deciding on one over the other. Thanks.
post #20 of 41 Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Bump to see if anyone has any thoughts on the above. Going to buy one or the other in the next few days.
post #21 of 41 Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Picked up the 40" edition of this model at HH Gregg the day after Christmas for only $500. Very pleased overall.

The remote is a piece of crap, but whatever.

As for settings, all I've found were at Digital Trends:
Quote:
Picture Settings
Contrast: 58
Backlight: 65 (will vary depending on user’s ambient light)
Dynalight: On
Brightness: 57
Color: 53
Tin: -2
Sharpness: 0

Advanced Picture Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Middle
Static Gamma: 3
Color Temp: Medium
Clear Frame: Off (for testing. We also liked On and Standard)

Noise Reduction
DNR: High
MPEG: High

Theater Settings
Picture Size: Native
Auto Aspect Ratio: On

Watched "Dark Knight Rises" on Blu-Ray under the "Movie" preset and it was still way too soap-opera as a test. Switched back to this preference and it was perfect to my unprofessional eye.

Personally, these settings need a big contrast and sharpness boost for the NFL and NBA viewing I've done in HD. The "Standard" preset has the contrast up to 95 and sharpness up to 10 and this is preferable. I'd like to better optimize this. Is there a way to save multiple customizations?

Also, I personally prefer the 120Hz refresh rate over the 240Hz for sports, looking at 1080p LED models. The latter rate kinda' makes my brain hurt because football and basketball are so fast as it was almost distracting; can't imagine watching hockey at 240Hz, sitting only about six feet from the TV.
post #22 of 41 Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_L View Post

Does anyone know how the 46L5200U compares to the Samsung UN46EH6000? They seem pretty similar as far as I can tell, and similar in price. I'm having a hard time deciding on one over the other. Thanks.

CNET gave the L5200 series a pretty reasonable review given their price:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-50l5200u/4505-6482_7-35244016.html

They liked the overall picture quality better than some more expensive Samsung and Sony sets. Said it has better black levels than the much more expensive Sony HX750 series.

I've looked at them in a couple of stores and thought they were good values. Especially the 46" model, which wasn't much more expensive than the 40" and was about $300 less than the 50".
post #23 of 41 Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM

Dont buy this tv. I purchased and thw edge light bleed was terrible when watching movies at night..
post #24 of 41 Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 AM

I have had the 40 inch for about a month. I think it is excellent for the price! I chose it over a Samsung at the same price level because first it seemed to run cooler just by feeling the screen and around the edges. Less important is that my previous one was a Samsung I want to try something different. I remember it was hard to get the green right and on the new Samsungs I felt that ghost of the past. At the Fry's I was doing the comparison at, I found the Samsungs' color to be more cartoonish and less natural.

Here are my settings for the component input (ColorStream). The source is Comcast cable HD in 1080i. Watching is done in a completely dark living room in the middle of the night.

Model 40L5200U2
Firmware: Jul 3 2012 - 11:47FW1.14

Mode Preference

Contrast: 58
Backlight: 35
DynaLight: Off
Brightness: 55
Color: 30
Tint: 2
Sharpness: 1

Advanced Picture Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Static Gamma: 1
Color Temperature: Cool
B Drive: -3
G Drive: -4
Cinema Mode: Video
ClearFrame: Off
post #25 of 41 Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

When people here comment about seeing edge flashlighting when watching at night, are you watching in a dark room? Just wondering because I never watch TV in a dark room, can't stand it. I always have a little light, like say a 60-watt equivalent warm white CFL shining off in the corner.
post #26 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Yes in a dark room. But I was able to see the edge light even with lights on. Not very noticeable during the day. But at night. It was terrible. I had that problem with 2 of these tvs. I was bummed because I love my other Toshiba. So I might have been unlucky and got 2 defective ones. But the edge light bleed was in different spots on both tvs.
post #27 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked at 3 of them in stores, a 40L5200 and two 50L5200, showing letterbox material and could see only the slightest edge bleeding if I really looked for it, on two of them. I know this is a big issue here in this forum, and do not debate that it is a viable one. But can understand why a regular, average John or Jane Doe wouldn't care much when watching in a room with lights on. Thus I'm not surprised when many of the TVs criticized here still get very positive reviews in customer on-line surveys.
post #28 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 PM

True and average joe may not notice it as much as i did. I love Toshiba. Which is why i purchased this tv. During the day it is very hard to even notice the edge light bleed. But this 46" tv was in my bedroom. And when watching tv at night with lights off the edge bleed drove me crazy. Especially during dark scenes. I tried everything i could do to tone down the amount of light bleed. All of my efforts were for not. Nothing helped. It was also very bad in the middle of the screen too. It almost looked like a cloud. It was very weird. The last movie i watched on the tv was Lawless, and that movie has quite a few dark scenes and the tv made it hard to watch that movie. But after much consideration i decided to just take the tv back. And it was my second set. The first one was also terrible. I ended up going with a plasma. Which was my first ever plasma. I have to say i love it. The Panasonic UT50 is the tv I have now. And it is amazing. I am so happy i made the decision to switch to a plasma. I have only owned LCD/LED tv's. so i was hesitant to make the switch to plasma. But i must say i am happy i did. The CNET review for the Toshiba 5200U series even references the Panasonic UT50.
post #29 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Do you own this tv? Or just thinking about purchasing it? Just curious. If you don't mind my curiosity.
post #30 of 41 Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 AM

I just purchased a 46L5200u a couple of weeks ago from Costco and am quite happy with it. We have set up in our bedroom and generally watch with a light. I'm satisfied with the picture quality so far. I'm using a ZVOX sound bar (fed via a toslink audio out connection from the TV) and am having difficulty in shutting of the TV's internal speakers. There doesn't appear to be a menu function to do so. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 46l5200u 46 Inches 1080p 120hz Led Tv , Toshiba 40l5200u 40 Inches 1080p 1080p 120hz Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page