Is this a good LED TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came here while searching for LED TVs so I hope it's right place.

I found this 40'' LED TV at Best Buy (Canada) and was wondering if it's a good buy or not?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-40-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-40pfl7505d-f7e-refurbished-40pfl7505d-f7e/10203316.aspx?path=b26a65582a134f469828246793565974en02
Canuck31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

I came here while searching for LED TVs so I hope it's right place.
I found this 40'' LED TV at Best Buy (Canada) and was wondering if it's a good buy or not?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-40-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-40pfl7505d-f7e-refurbished-40pfl7505d-f7e/10203316.aspx?path=b26a65582a134f469828246793565974en02

I wouldn't buy anything that is refurbished, your just asking for problems as it already had a problem and got fixed. Plus philips isn't such a good brand for HDTV.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I bought my 2011 Macbook Pro refurbished from Apple and it's working perfectly. I guess it depends who refurbishes it.

What about this one? My grandpa bought one from the same brand and it works great.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/insignia-insignia-42-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-ns-42e470a13-ns-42e470a13a/10190003.aspx?path=49fc3c4edde0ef6ca97c7af6ffbedd1een02
Canuck31 is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
If i had to choose between the two, I would choose the Philips. Philips is better than Insignia. And yeah some refurbished items are fine but in hdtv's I wouldn't invest in one since they are so affordable these days.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree. Either way I want something with at least 120Hz and LED. I also want to try and keep it in the 40"-50" range.
Canuck31 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I'd get neither if it was my money. Try getting a Samsung or Sony or perhaps LG. If you're looking to save money, go for a regular CCFL-LCD.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I'd get neither if it was my money. Try getting a Samsung or Sony or perhaps LG. If you're looking to save money, go for a regular CCFL-LCD.

What is a CCFL - LCD?
Canuck31 is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

What is a CCFL - LCD?

LCD that uses traditional CCFL backlighting instead of the edge-lit LED backlighting on the models you are looking at. Given the price point you're looking at, you'll get better PQ and overall build quality/reliability from a brand like Samsung or Sony. Also, it's generally not worth getting a refurbished model, since you don't know if it has been repaired before or messed with (such as in the service menu).
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

LCD that uses traditional CCFL backlighting instead of the edge-lit LED backlighting on the models you are looking at. Given the price point you're looking at, you'll get better PQ and overall build quality/reliability from a brand like Samsung or Sony.

But I thought LEDs were better and had a sharper clearer image.
Canuck31 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

What is a CCFL - LCD?

He just means get a regular LCD, not a LCD-LED. Something like this would be better and cost just a little more.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-bravia-46-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-kdl46ex500-kdl46ex500/10139083.aspx?path=47cf0422a88535136b10666f5901e341en02

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

But I thought LEDs were better and had a sharper clearer image.

the LCD panel determines the PQ, not the backlighting source (edge-lit LED vs. CCFL); also, edge-lit LEDs tend to cause more backlighting uniformity issues in dark scenes like flashlighting and clouding
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

He just means get a regular LCD, not a LCD-LED. Something like this would be better and cost just a little more.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-bravia-46-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-kdl46ex500-kdl46ex500/10139083.aspx?path=47cf0422a88535136b10666f5901e341en02

+1, that's a great choice for the money; Samsung LN40D630 or LN46D630 is another.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

+1, that's a great choice for the money; Samsung LN40D630 or LN46D630 is another.

Was just looking at the Sony model. I do like it. Do you have links to those other two??
Canuck31 is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Member
 
skiman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kapolei, HI stationed at Schofield Barracks
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is your price range btw?
skiman24 is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman24 View Post

What is your price range btw?

Well if I can keep it within $700 that would be good. Even cheaper would be better but I do want something of quality too.
Canuck31 is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

Well if I can keep it within $700 that would be good. Even cheaper would be better but I do want something of quality too.

the Samsung and Sony models mentioned above are good choices... the LG 42LK520 or 47LK520 can be considered as well, just be warned that the IPS panel versions of these LGs have poor black levels (but wide viewing angles and accurate color to make up for it)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the Samsung and Sony models mentioned above are good choices... the LG 42LK520 or 47LK520 can be considered as well, just be warned that the IPS panel versions of these LGs have poor black levels (but wide viewing angles and accurate color to make up for it)

Neither the LG models you mentioned nor the Samsung models mentioned above are not available here. Plus Amazon.com won't ship them here to Canada. I kinda have to stick to Future Shop and Best Buy Canada websites. Those models do look good though.
Canuck31 is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

Neither the LG models you mentioned nor the Samsung models mentioned above are not available here. Plus Amazon.com won't ship them here to Canada. I kinda have to stick to Future Shop and Best Buy Canada websites. Those models do look good though.

how about the Sony?
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

how about the Sony?

Yeah the Sony is there. How about this?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-42-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-42cs570-42cs570/10198601.aspx?path=c65ac71713357a4490673f74d698158een02
Canuck31 is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197

the last link is a good TV model (LG 42LD450), but I'm not sure if buying a used TV is the safest option... fyi, I bought my LG 42LK450 (2011 version of that set) brand new for about $450. I'd probably go with the Sony, as it's brand new.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197

I've seen mixed reviews for the 2012 LG LCDs. The Sony is the better choice between the two.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the last link is a good TV model (LG 42LD450), but I'm not sure if buying a used TV is the safest option... fyi, I bought my LG 42LK450 (2011 version of that set) brand new for about $450. I'd probably go with the Sony, as it's brand new.

Yeah buying used doesn't always work out but I'm just trying to save any money I can. Hence why I suggested the Insignia and Philips first. Also would it make a big difference whether I get one with 60Hz or one with 120Hz? There seems to be mixed views on that. I'm mainly going to be watching movies (DVD/Blu-ray) and occasionally playing video games as I'm using a PS3 for this.
Canuck31 is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

Yeah buying used doesn't always work out but I'm just trying to save any money I can. Hence why I suggested the Insignia and Philips first. Also would it make a big difference whether I get one with 60Hz or one with 120Hz? There seems to be mixed views on that. I'm mainly going to be watching movies (DVD/Blu-ray) and occasionally playing video games as I'm using a PS3 for this.

I think 60Hz is good enough for most content and possibly a plus for gaming since it should help cut down on input lag. If you're going to save money, a used LG 42LD450 is superior to a new Insignia or Philips (assuming it's in good shape like the listing states). I find that frame interpolation features found on 120Hz and higher sets often don't work properly and many end up turning such features off anyways. Also, the LG 42LD450 handles 24p sources properly via a 48Hz or 96Hz refresh rate (Real Cinema Feature), so BD movies should have smoother motion than most 60Hz sets that only do 2:3 pulldown to play 24fps sources like movies.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I think 60Hz is good enough for most content and possibly a plus for gaming since it should help cut down on input lag. If you're going to save money, a used LG 42LD450 is superior to a new Insignia or Philips (assuming it's in good shape like the listing states). I find that frame interpolation features found on 120Hz and higher sets often don't work properly and many end up turning such features off anyways. Also, the LG 42LD450 handles 24p sources properly via a 48Hz or 96Hz refresh rate (Real Cinema Feature), so BD movies should have smoother motion than most 60Hz sets that only do 2:3 pulldown to play 24fps sources like movies.

Well I made a pitch for this. Is this a good deal?

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-40-lcd-sony-bravia-2years-old-W0QQAdIdZ386635989
Canuck31 is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post

Well I made a pitch for this. Is this a good deal?
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-40-lcd-sony-bravia-2years-old-W0QQAdIdZ386635989

I'm not familiar with that model. Perhaps someone else can chime in?
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Canuck31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I'm not familiar with that model. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Oh okay. That's cool. He hasn't replied back yet so we'll see.
Canuck31 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off