New Samsung UN60ES6100 owner - I have some questions about it. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys!

Not new to the forum, but have not been here in years. Last week my old 2006 Samsung HLS6187W had it's better days, and I just had to let her go, so yesterday I bought an Samsung UN60ES6100 from Best Buy.

Well, when I was there I noticed the Samsung UN60ES6100 that was on displayed that the picture was contrasting every other second where it looked like like a standard def picture tuning into a hi def picture. The salesman at Best Buy told me that that was happening because of antenna problems in the store, which I later found out was BS when I got home. Well guys after watching it last night and this morning it is driving me crazy to the point of returning the TV within the 30 days I have to do it in. I can see it happening even from 11 feet away from the screen where I sit. What is this called? and can anything be done about this?

Also, last night when the sun started to set and the room became darker, the TV picture became so dark I could hardly see the picture. Can that feature be shut off or can I switch to another TV mode to view at night in the dark like I like my room to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The darkening of the screen when the room is darker sounds like the ECO sensor feature is enabled.
You should be able to disable that somewhere in the menus.
Also turn off dynamic contrast - try using movie mode.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

The darkening of the screen when the room is darker sounds like the ECO sensor feature is enabled.
You should be able to disable that somewhere in the menus.
Also turn off dynamic contrast - try using movie mode.

Thanks for your reply, Joxer.

Sorry but I do not see anything that says ECO in the menu. If you have a HDTV like this one, and can find where it is located in the menu, I would appreciate you directing me to where I need to go. Thanks
post #4 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satman858 View Post

Thanks for your reply, Joxer.
Sorry but I do not see anything that says ECO in the menu. If you have a HDTV like this one, and can find where it is located in the menu, I would appreciate you directing me to where I need to go. Thanks

I see it in the e-help manual for that model, its downloadable at the Samsung website for support for that model and should be the same as the e-help viewable on the tv itself.
It shows settings under the Menu -> System -> ECO Solution section including a setting for the Eco Sensor.
Also some modes may enable the ECO sensor and dynamic contrast automatically.
Try movie mode and check its settings to make sure such things are off - go thru all the picture menu settings and check them.
Try adjusting the backlight setting value, that may also turn off the ECO sensor.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I see it in the e-help manual for that model, its downloadable at the Samsung website for support for that model and should be the same as the e-help viewable on the tv itself.
It shows settings under the Menu -> System -> ECO Solution section including a setting for the Eco Sensor.
Also some modes may enable the ECO sensor and dynamic contrast automatically.
Try movie mode and check its settings to make sure such things are off - go thru all the picture menu settings and check them.
Try adjusting the backlight setting value, that may also turn off the ECO sensor.

I went to the system menu and found ECO Solutions. in the ECO Solution tab these are want the setting were:

Energy Saving - OFF
ECO Sensor - OFF
No Signal Power Off - 15 minutes
Auto Power Off - OFF
post #6 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Joxer for you help. I got dimming problem solved.

Now if I could just stop the faces of the people in picture mode "standard" on the screen to stop constanly blurring then focusing ever second or two, I think I will keep this TV and not return it.

If anyone can help with this feel free to chime in. confused.gif
post #7 of 21 Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Joxer for you help. I got dimming problem solved.
Now if I could just stop the faces of the people in picture mode "standard" on the screen to stop constanly blurring then focusing ever second or two, I think I will keep this TV and not return it.
If anyone can help with this feel free to chime in. confused.gif
What is your video source with that effect? Might be the external box like for cable/satellite using over compression and those might be artifacts from that.
Try a good blu-ray movie as a source and compare and see if you get that effect there. If not, its not the TV that is the problem, it would be the source device or provider.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What is your video source with that effect? Might be the external box like for cable/satellite using over compression and those might be artifacts from that.
Try a good blu-ray movie as a source and compare and see if you get that effect there. If not, its not the TV that is the problem, it would be the source device or provider.

The source is for the TV from my Dish Network VIP 722K Hd Dvr by way of HDMI cables connected the the HDMI 1 port of the Samsung TV. I do not watch movies or play games, so I do not even own a Blu-Ray player. Best buy uses Direct-TV in their stores, (which also had this problem happening on their floor display) so this might be happening because of all Satellite HD receivers. I spoke to a Best Buy tech geek on the phone today, and he has no clue about this picture blurring type problem and want to send a tech out to see it. I was hoping to be able to be able to get answers here first, so I told him not to send anyone out yet. I am hoping there is a setting in the TV that can stop this, and it is not a problem from my Satellite receiver because of a HD conversion problem into all of Samsung's LED HDTV's.

Do you that a conversion problem from the satellite receiver to the Samsung HD LED TV, or maybe needing better quality HDMI cables, could be why this picture problem is happening?

P.S. You would think that if it was cable/satellite receivers causing this, it would be all over this forum.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight I tried looking at the picture after switching the source I have for my outside antenna, and the picture is doing the same thing with that source too. That tells me it has nothing to do with the dish Network satellite receiver. This has to be a problem with these Samsung LED HDTV sets.

I was hoping that there was someone in this forum that could tell me what this issue is called, if there is any adjustment can be made to the TV set to eliminate this from happening, or if it is a flaw with all Samsung LED TVs. I really don't want to have to send the Geek squad from Best Buy out, because I think it will be a waste of time, and he won't have any answers much like the readers of my thread in this forum.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 AM

Liked: 13
Perhaps you can get some answers if you repost in the [URL=http://official-samsung-unxxes6100-thread]http://official-samsung-unxxes6100-thread[/URL]
post #11 of 21 Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri in Mtl View Post

Perhaps you can get some answers if you repost in the [URL=http://official-samsung-unxxes6100-thread]http://official-samsung-unxxes6100-thread[/URL]

Thanks for your suggestion. However I had it posted there with still no answers, so I deleted it, and that is why I started up a thread of it's own.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am not familiar with that particular tv but, you say you saw the focus issue in the store, and you saw it with both your sat box and antenna, therefore it's obviously a flaw in the tv. Go back to BB and look for a tv that is not showing that issue. Then return yours and get that tv. If you've looked thru the owner's thread and online elsewhere and don't see the issue, then maybe this particular run of that model is defective. Not worth your time dealing with. New tv's should look good (with reasonable adjustment) or go back.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

I am not familiar with that particular tv but, you say you saw the focus issue in the store, and you saw it with both your sat box and antenna, therefore it's obviously a flaw in the tv. Go back to BB and look for a tv that is not showing that issue. Then return yours and get that tv. If you've looked thru the owner's thread and online elsewhere and don't see the issue, then maybe this particular run of that model is defective. Not worth your time dealing with. New tv's should look good (with reasonable adjustment) or go back.

Thanks for your reply mes444.

I love the picture colors in Samsung TV's, so I hate to give up on them. My Samsung 61" DLP of 6 years had seen it's better days with multiple problems occurring now, so that is why I bought this new TV. I just figured before I have the Best Buy geek squad member come out and fool with it, I would try to confirm if it is Samsung defect that others see with theirs sets too. I put my model in the title of my thread listings, so I could see if it was a flaw in this Samsung model. Samsung makes several different sizes too in this ES model, so it could be the 60" has this problem, but they not have this problem in the smaller sizes of the ES model.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Satman858,
Can you tell me if your UN60ES6100 has an analog VGA input? Samsung.com only posts the the less useful e-manual rather than the other manual that actually shows the rear connectors.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwong View Post

Satman858,
Can you tell me if your UN60ES6100 has an analog VGA input? Samsung.com only posts the the less useful e-manual rather than the other manual that actually shows the rear connectors.

Unfortunately no it does not. I thought it did when I bought it, but it does not have one.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Are you sure you're not just seeing the "Soap Opera Effect" and not describing it properly? Try adjusting AMP (automated motion processing) or turning it off completely. My son has the exact same size/model which he also bought at Best Buy and is very happy with it.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately no it does not. I thought it did when I bought it, but it does not have one.

I did a webchat with Samsung and they said that none of their 2012 or 2011 TVs have a VGA input. I find this hard to believe. I wish they'd post the real manuals online so I can check for myself.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 AM

Go to Picture Settings->Advanced-> and make sure Motion Lighting is off, then go to picture options and make sure LED Motion Plus and Auto Motion Plus are also off.

Be the Ball, Danny.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM

I have the same TV..Picked it up last Wed...I was ready to take it back until someone gave me custom settings...Now it is great.....Custom setting are the way to go....
post #20 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 12:46 PM

UPDATE:

I've owned this set for over a month now, and I must say out of the box the picture is horrid... With the custom settings found here it is one of the best pictures I've seen...If you own this set look for custom setting as they make all the difference in the world...And make sure you turn off ECO.

I stream allot from Amazon and Netflix as well as play xbox360 online....Make my old TV look like junk...
post #21 of 21 Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post

UPDATE:

I've owned this set for over a month now, and I must say out of the box the picture is horrid... With the custom settings found here it is one of the best pictures I've seen...If you own this set look for custom setting as they make all the difference in the world...And make sure you turn off ECO.

I stream allot from Amazon and Netflix as well as play xbox360 online....Make my old TV look like junk...

Anybody got any links to some custom settings ....I just picked up this tv last weekend.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es6100 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page