Is the Sony XBRHX929 worth the money? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been doing more research and am coming to the conclusion that if I want a quality LED that is backlit and has local dimming (which I've read is far superior to edge-lit TV's), I'm going to need to pull the plug and get the Sony XBRHX929. The problem is that the 65" I want is $5,000 and I cannot justify spending this amount of money on a TV. The 55" version is $3,000, which is a bit more managable. My question is whether it's smarter to sacrifice quantity (55" versus my desired 60"/65") for quality? I'm sure I could find a 65" edge-let or plasma tv for well under $3,000, but would it be worth it? I'm just not sure at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would never sacrifice quality for size. Especially at 65" . A lower quality set at that size will provide a disappointing viewing experience compared to a 55" top of the line HX929.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
No.
It never even made to the HDTV shootout.

I would recommend the Samsung PN64E8000 64 Inch Plasma .
This year it has the 'Real Black Panel Pro' and it's very
resistant to IR unlike the current Panasonic line.
Also the 'Micro Dimming' anti-reflective filter is even better
than the the 'Clear Image' filter's great ability to ward off reflections in the day time.
Also the image/signal processing is vastly better than the Panasonic's
and that's a deal breaker if you watch a lot of cable-satellite and it
works wonders on standard definition.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan 
No.
It never even made to the HDTV shootout.
The XBR HX929 was part of last years Shootout, only last years winner participated in this years Shootout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan 
I would recommend the Samsung PN64E8000 64 Inch Plasma .
This year it has the 'Real Black Panel Pro' and it's very
resistant to IR unlike the current Panasonic line.
Also the 'Micro Dimming' anti-reflective filter is even better
than the the 'Clear Image' filter's great ability to ward off reflections in the day time.
Also the image/signal processing is vastly better than the Panasonic's
and that's a deal breaker if you watch a lot of cable-satellite and it
works wonders on standard definition.
btw the Panasonic Plasma WON this years Shootout so its performance is probably better than ANY Samsung Plasma wink.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The XBR HX929 was part of last years Shootout, only last years winner participated in this years Shootout.
btw the Panasonic Plasma WON this years Shootout so its performance is probably better than ANY Samsung Plasma wink.gif

Not when it comes to preventing IR
and the image-signal processing during a cable-satalite feed.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Not when it comes to preventing IR
and the image-signal processing during a cable-satalite feed.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/
As the article says the vt the image went away as the st would over time. Who is going to keep a static image on a tv for 8 hours??
So no samsung is not the best tv. Seriously even cnet has the samsung at#5 with 1 being panasonic vt50, 2 sharp elite, 3. panasonic st50, 4. panaosnic gt50, with sammy 5. So if you're going to tell a tale tell the whole tale.

So back the ts if you want best pic either go panasonic plasma or if you want led sharp elite. My preference is plasma as most videophiles. I just got the Panasonic vt50 and it is amazing. I can see why it is rated the best tv for 2012.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

I read about the Samsung VT50. Looks like a gorgeous set, however, there is too much ambient light in my living room to warrant purchasing a plasma, and with the problems I've heard that plasmas can have (fan noise, IR, heat, burn-in, reflection, pixelation), doesn't it just make sense to buy LED. I understand Plasmas give a better picture, with richer blacks, and better side-angle viewing, but sell me on why I should choose plasma over LED. It just seems like there are too many drawbacks to a Plasma.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

seinfeld1104 I'm under the impression you have fairly deep pockets
and anyone even thinking to buy the Sony XBRHX929 should buy the Sharp Elite 60" Pro-60x5fd and be done with it.
give up 5" for a vastly better set for around the same price.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinfeld1104 View Post

I read about the Samsung VT50. Looks like a gorgeous set, however, there is too much ambient light in my living room to warrant purchasing a plasma, and with the problems I've heard that plasmas can have (fan noise, IR, heat, burn-in, reflection, pixelation), doesn't it just make sense to buy LED. I understand Plasmas give a better picture, with richer blacks, and better side-angle viewing, but sell me on why I should choose plasma over LED. It just seems like there are too many drawbacks to a Plasma.
Funny you say that i think there are way to many problems with lcd/led's I have mine in a room with south and west windows in southern california where 90% of our days are sunny. Albeit most of my movie watching is at night as i do work during the day. Led has the same problem with reflections. Granted the picture is brighter which if you don't change it is brutal in normal viewing light conditions. I don't know about you but i have a surround sound so fan noise is no issue. Only time i hear a fan is when i put my ear to the back of the tv with nothing on except tv with no audio. IRis no problem and ir is not a problem burn in is not an issue at all. Pixilation is a led thing not plasma. Led and their 120 and 240 is to compete with plasma superior motion. Which also make the image plasticky or cartoonish, hallowing along with colors being over saturated. To each their own. There is a reason why 4 of the 5 top tv's on cnet are plasma. While the only led being the sharp elite not a sony and with sony's reliability being what it has been lately id wouldn't want to spend that much on one.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Tell that to my wife. I'd love to pull the plug and get whatever tv I want, but that's just not going to happen. $4,000 is probably the top of the line for me, so at the current moment, both the XBR 65" and Elite 65" are both out of my price range. I read the specs and reviews on the Elite and I have to admit I'm impressed. But the price is currently $5,000 on Amazon and I can't spend that much. I'm wondering if I should wait a bit until the holidays and see if either of these sets go on sale? With new models of the Elite slated to come out later this year, I would assume the 2011 model would fall in price.

Or I could just pull the plug and grab the Panasonic VT50, which is CNET's #1 HDTV for 2012. It's $2,000 cheaper and is 65".
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM

I have the panasonic vt50 and love it. The panasonic st50 is very close to pq as well and being a lot cheaper. Don't judge a plasma by looking at it in a store. All plasmas look bad in a store setting. led's pop in a store environment but your home is not close to being as bright as a store. Even with a led you will have to adjust the setting or you may get a lot of eye fatigue. Whatever you decide hope you love.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

What type of room do you have the vt50 in? Is there a lot of light? Do you have much glare? And how about sound that eminates from the unit or IR? Pretty much, have you experienced any negative aspects of your tv? I've never had a plasma and am worried about making the switch. However, if cnet voted the unit it's top HDTV of 2012, there must be something great about it?
post #13 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM

I get a ton of ambient light in my room with south and west facing windows here in socal it is very bright. That being said I have zero to slight noise coming from the fan if have to have the sound off and my ear at the back of the panel. With normal viewing with sound (I don't use the tv speakers) i have never heard anything coming from my tv. Zero IR I have only had the tv a few weeks so not much time on it. The glare is a problem with real dark scenes ie Dark Knight. Thats if i were to view during the day. Not to mention i had the same problem with my matte finish LCD. ONly the glare was more muted but i wouldn't be able to view dark scenes with it either. The more ambient light does wash out the picture some but the thx bright room does very well to combat that issue. I dont know about you but i watch all my movies in a darkened room so to me the glare is a nonissue. With overhead ceiling lights and such the tv does very well with. What i have done is painted my walls a flat dark gray and put a bias light (ideal lume) up for movie watching which I used with my lcd and plasma. This is my first plasma and i love it. Best picture i have seen on a tv except from a friends pioneer kuro elite. Even with the glare i wouldn't trade it in for a led they have a lot of glare problems as well but they are brighter to help fight the glare. I just don't like the plastically look a lcd/led image gives. Regarding your choice with sony if you go lcd think hard about it there are a lot of stories i keep hearing about their horrible customer service. Not saying any other brand will be better but they seem to be the whipping boy right now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page