Would any of you buy a $10,000 Samsung 75"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 465
So Samsung says some dealers will actually have the 75" ES9000 sometime this year for $10,000 MSRP. Will any of you buy this set?

I'm not trolling, I'm really curious.

If not, would a discount to $8000 change your mind?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Member
 
Refired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Caddo Mills Tx
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im sure someone would jump on that. Not me though. anything over 65, I'd get a projector. If you had a really bright room you might want one.
Refired is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hell no! This TV is basically just a larger 1080p LED TV. So it has gesture control, big deal. If LG manages to release the 84" 84LM9600 this year at a $10k price point, it'll stomp all over this 75" Samsung offering. I think it's way overpriced for what it is. If it was $7k then I'd say that was a fair price, but not $10K!
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #4 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
David_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: delete me
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
They are saying micro-dimming.

Is it edge lit? Or could this be competition for the Elite?

buytme
David_B is offline  
post #5 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
dont care what it is when you are buying a used car to put on your wall thats when things get dumb. straight up might as well consider the sharp 90" at this point since its beyond bigger more screen and all oh and 3d at least. seriously 5k is my limit on any tv i dont really care the features oh local dimming lets add another 5k to the price point. the thing about these tvs are they will never sell in this rough economy folks struggle with a 2k price point so do you really think the average american wants to spend over 2k. we are to the point now and days where you can get sharp 70" models for 2k something to consider
RockmanX is offline  
post #6 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vladi123456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No! Sharp seems like a much better tv
vladi123456 is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Micro dimming is still edge lite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

They are saying micro-dimming.
Is it edge lit? Or could this be competition for the Elite?
Adamd is offline  
post #8 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Why would you when you can get the Sharp 80" full array for less than half. They will be lucky to sell more than 1000 units, just like Sharp's 90". The price/performance ratio is just not there. Also, you have 4K coming on the larger sizes next year, which makes it an even worse buy.
sytech is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
So, do we know for sure whether this is edge-lit or full-array with local dimming? If it's full-array with LD, it may be worth about 7.5K~8.5K., considering MSRP of the 70" Elite. Those five extra inches have gotta be worth something, right?

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Irwinroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 7/19/2012
New York - Samsung used its new sponsorship of SpaceFest at the Intrepid Air & Space Museum here Thursday to unveil the newest flagship model in its LED-edge-lit LCD TV series - the 75-inch ES9000.

Samsung"Samsung's Joseph Stinziano unveils the 75-inch ES9000 LED edge-lit LCD TV with a host of interactive smart features, including a gesture-controlled version of the Angry Birds video game."
The 3D-capable FullHD 1080p TV features an ultra-thin (0.31-inches curved bezel) cosmetic design with a rose-gold-colored finish, voice and gesture control menu operation along with other Smart Interaction features, including a new app for Rovio's popular Angry Birds video game property, developed for the first time to work with Samsung's gesture-controlled TVs instead of traditional controllers.

Angry Birds will be available via free download later this month on Samsung 2012 LED 7500 series and up models and 8000 series plasma models. In addition, a dedicated app for Angry Birds animated content will be available later this year, the company said.

The Samsung ES9000 will be available in August at specialty retailers and will carry a $10,000 suggested retail price.

Other features in the ES9000 include the complete suite of Samsung Smart TV features-Smart Interaction, Smart Content and Smart Evolution-as well as a hidden camera that pops up from the top of the TV's bezel to make video calls on applications such as Skype.

The set also introduces a new Sound Share feature that provides wireless connectivity via Bluetooth to Samsung's Series 6 and Series 7 Wireless Audio with Dock Systems.
Samsung provided a tour of the Space Shuttle Enterprise during its media event at the Intrepid Thursday."Samsung provided a tour of the Space Shuttle Enterprise during its media event at the Intrepid Thursday."
Joseph Stinziano, Samsung Home Entertainment senior VP, said the introduction of the 75-inch ES9000 meets the rising market demand for extra-large screen TVs.

"This year in the U.S., 32-inch is still the most popular screen size and accounts for nearly a third of total unit volume," Stinziano said. "In 2013, industry research firm NPD expects the average screen size to exceed 40 inches."

He added that consumers have told Samsung that "they want more content and they want to find it more easily. They want smart interfaces and more intuitive controls."

The ES9000 is powered by a dual-core processor to run a arrange of advanced next-generation Smart TV apps and browse the Web more quickly.

The ES9000's picture quality is enhanced using Samsung's Micro Dimming Ultimate and Precision Black Local Dimming technology to deliver "the highest contrast ratio on a Samsung Smart TV to date; and the best picture quality available on a Samsung LED TV," the company said.

Samsung also used the press conference to announce its corporate sponsorship of SpaceFest, a five-day celebration (July 19-22) of the arrival of the Space Shuttle Enterprise at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, located in the de-commissioned aircraft carrier.

The Samsung Smart TV Space Station is an immersive, interactive experience that also provides demonstrations of Samsung Smart TV technology. Consumers will have an opportunity to experience the connected viewing, connected content and connected gaming experiences of the company's flagship 2012 TV models.

"We couldn't imagine a better way to unveil our new flagship TV and a literally game-changing new app, then here at the Intrepid alongside the Space Shuttle Enterprise," said Stinziano. "The Intrepid and Space Shuttle are each iconic symbols of innovation and discovery and Samsung also is driven to push boundaries and deliver a sense of wonder and delight."
Irwinroad is offline  
post #11 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
sadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would never pay $10k for a 75" when I can get a 60-65" for $1000-1500. Terrible value.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
sadmaker is offline  
post #12 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
80" sharp at Walmart for 4k, why can't Samsung get this to a reasonable price?
gagit811 is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

I would never pay $10k for a 75" when I can get a 60-65" for $1000-1500. Terrible value.

which make/models offer 60-65 inches for $1000 to $1500?
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #14 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 7/19/2012
New York - Samsung used its new sponsorship of SpaceFest at the Intrepid Air & Space Museum here Thursday to unveil the newest flagship model in its LED-edge-lit LCD TV series - the 75-inch ES9000.
Samsung"Samsung's Joseph Stinziano unveils the 75-inch ES9000 LED edge-lit LCD TV with a host of interactive smart features, including a gesture-controlled version of the Angry Birds video game."
The 3D-capable FullHD 1080p TV features an ultra-thin (0.31-inches curved bezel) cosmetic design with a rose-gold-colored finish, voice and gesture control menu operation along with other Smart Interaction features, including a new app for Rovio's popular Angry Birds video game property, developed for the first time to work with Samsung's gesture-controlled TVs instead of traditional controllers.
Angry Birds will be available via free download later this month on Samsung 2012 LED 7500 series and up models and 8000 series plasma models. In addition, a dedicated app for Angry Birds animated content will be available later this year, the company said.
The Samsung ES9000 will be available in August at specialty retailers and will carry a $10,000 suggested retail price.
Other features in the ES9000 include the complete suite of Samsung Smart TV features-Smart Interaction, Smart Content and Smart Evolution-as well as a hidden camera that pops up from the top of the TV's bezel to make video calls on applications such as Skype.
The set also introduces a new Sound Share feature that provides wireless connectivity via Bluetooth to Samsung's Series 6 and Series 7 Wireless Audio with Dock Systems.
Samsung provided a tour of the Space Shuttle Enterprise during its media event at the Intrepid Thursday."Samsung provided a tour of the Space Shuttle Enterprise during its media event at the Intrepid Thursday."
Joseph Stinziano, Samsung Home Entertainment senior VP, said the introduction of the 75-inch ES9000 meets the rising market demand for extra-large screen TVs.
"This year in the U.S., 32-inch is still the most popular screen size and accounts for nearly a third of total unit volume," Stinziano said. "In 2013, industry research firm NPD expects the average screen size to exceed 40 inches."
He added that consumers have told Samsung that "they want more content and they want to find it more easily. They want smart interfaces and more intuitive controls."
The ES9000 is powered by a dual-core processor to run a arrange of advanced next-generation Smart TV apps and browse the Web more quickly.
The ES9000's picture quality is enhanced using Samsung's Micro Dimming Ultimate and Precision Black Local Dimming technology to deliver "the highest contrast ratio on a Samsung Smart TV to date; and the best picture quality available on a Samsung LED TV," the company said.
Samsung also used the press conference to announce its corporate sponsorship of SpaceFest, a five-day celebration (July 19-22) of the arrival of the Space Shuttle Enterprise at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, located in the de-commissioned aircraft carrier.
The Samsung Smart TV Space Station is an immersive, interactive experience that also provides demonstrations of Samsung Smart TV technology. Consumers will have an opportunity to experience the connected viewing, connected content and connected gaming experiences of the company's flagship 2012 TV models.
"We couldn't imagine a better way to unveil our new flagship TV and a literally game-changing new app, then here at the Intrepid alongside the Space Shuttle Enterprise," said Stinziano. "The Intrepid and Space Shuttle are each iconic symbols of innovation and discovery and Samsung also is driven to push boundaries and deliver a sense of wonder and delight."

sounds like a load of marketing BS, just like those sky-high dynamic contrast ratio figures (like 30 million to one for the ES8000, which actually has a native on/off CR of about 3700:1 according to CNET)

also, who gives a damn about things like Angry Birds and gesture control?
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #15 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

which make/models offer 60-65 inches for $1000 to $1500?
In today's Fry's Electronics ad they have a 60 LED, 3D for $1399. No brand name in the ad.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #16 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

So, do we know for sure whether this is edge-lit or full-array with local dimming? If it's full-array with LD, it may be worth about 7.5K~8.5K., considering MSRP of the 70" Elite. Those five extra inches have gotta be worth something, right?

when the Sharp Elite starts to sound like a value, you know the Samsung is ridiculously overpriced smile.gif

and for the record, it's edge-lit (the Samsung)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #17 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
And:

http://bountii.com/search.php?item=Samsung+UN60EH6000


I haven't searched in depth, but there are many places selling the Samusng 60EH6000 for under $1,500 and other brands/models also.
Phase700B is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I like the idea of being able to buy a 60"+ TV for $1500 or less. I imagine plasmas offer the best value in this respect.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
RockmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
you can buy plenty of 2010 2011 model tvs for under 1500 in the 60" class i dont know about 65" i usually see a 2k price on those still but on the same like you can get plenty of different model sharp 70" for under 2k as well
RockmanX is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

In today's Fry's Electronics ad they have a 60 LED, 3D for $1399. No brand name in the ad.


I believe Electronic Expo is selling the Samsung UN60EH6000 for about $1,463 as of this post. However, you have to check daily or even hourly because prices are changing that often this time of year as football season and baseball playoffs approach.
Phase700B is offline  
post #21 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
$10,000 for a television eek.gif no friggin' way! There are much more important and better ways for me to spend that kind of money, and television is not one of them. I agree that it sounds like a bunch of bs as someone above stated. It just doesn't sound like a good investment to me. However, if it was a holographic projector (I am working on plans for my holodeck) I might seriously consider it wink.gif
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #22 of 44 Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
mrnyknicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Short answer no
mrnyknicks is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's see...a 75" 10k edge lit display that will most likely have uniformity issues or a 70" Sharp with enough left over for a nice 5.1 audio system, a couple of rooms of distributed audio with 2 way keypad control and a touchscreen remote. Uhh, no.
topr is offline  
post #24 of 44 Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kesando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

So, do we know for sure whether this is edge-lit or full-array with local dimming? If it's full-array with LD, it may be worth about 7.5K~8.5K., considering MSRP of the 70" Elite. Those five extra inches have gotta be worth something, right?

Being edge lit, the Elite will have much better PQ than this. Samsung can keep the extra 5 inches in my book.
kesando is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
kdog750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
lol the bigger the screen, the more it shows the defects in PQ. Can you imagine a 75" screen full of flashlighting, cloudiness, streaking and uniformity issues. I don't think I would take one for free. Most of the $10K cost on this thing is paying for gimmicks and nothing into PQ.
kdog750 is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

lol the bigger the screen, the more it shows the defects in PQ. Can you imagine a 75" screen full of flashlighting, cloudiness, streaking and uniformity issues. I don't think I would take one for free. Most of the $10K cost on this thing is paying for gimmicks and nothing into PQ.

at that price point, you'd want OLED or at least full array LED with many, many LD zones (and excellent black levels even with LD disabled)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #27 of 44 Old 07-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
6athome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I paid 1000.00 for a 40 inch samsung 81f . This was samsung's first local dimming led.My 55 inch lg lv 9500 cost 1500.00 and it is led nano local dimming 3d active.
The samsung 75 inch would cost 425.00 an inch for 20 inches of TV. When I have to much money and don't know what to do whit it ,I will buy this TV,in the mean time I will let those of you who are millionaires buy this TV.
6athome is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You get the Angry Birds app as a free download... Awesome!!

Rick

Mr.SoftDome is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

lol the bigger the screen, the more it shows the defects in PQ. Can you imagine a 75" screen full of flashlighting, cloudiness, streaking and uniformity issues. I don't think I would take one for free. Most of the $10K cost on this thing is paying for gimmicks and nothing into PQ.

I bet the viewing angles are so narrow you'd get washout on the borders of the screen from a dead center viewing position far back (just look at the reviews of other ES series models). At 75", any PQ deficiencies will become very apparent.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #30 of 44 Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM
 
pds3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I bet the viewing angles are so narrow you'd get washout on the borders of the screen from a dead center viewing position far back (just look at the reviews of other ES series models). At 75", any PQ deficiencies will become very apparent.

The people who own the Sharp 80" sets are very happy with their picture quality and viewing angles.
pds3 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off