AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung UN75ES9000 Thread

52K views 309 replies 74 participants last post by  RigorousXChris 
#1 ·
O.K. guys...... who knows where and when this will be available in August?

#27 ·
Hey everyone. I was a recent owner of the Samsung UN65ES800. I had it for a few weeks and then took it back, mainly due to the limited viewing angles. Everything else, was great. I had almost no banding or flashlighting and 0 clouding. The blacks looked black until you moved over a couple seats and the overall clarity and sharpness was mind blowing. I have to admit though that I purchased a 70" Sharp Elite to see what all the hype was about and all I can say is........ I've already returned it. I'm not dogging the TV whatsoever. I think it has an amazing picture and the black levels are insanely black. I can't tell you how much better than the Samsung just because the blacks on the samsung were truly black until I sat off angle. The Sharp Elite definitely had problems of it's own that I saw as well. Mainly pulsing in the picture and limited viewing angle like the Samsung.

So here I sit, once again, with my Samsung 61" DLP in my mancave. I called and spoke with a gentleman at the Audio Video Store in Los Angeles, CA because they're currently the only retail store to have a Samsung UN75es9000 on display. I've called and talked with the same person three different times to get his opinion on the TV. Keep in mind, I told him from the get go that I would not be purchasing a TV from their store and he had no reason to sell me on it. I would ask him certain questions and he would test for me and call me back later. He was very nice and helpful and went the extra mile for me. They held an event at his store's location a few weeks back and he was the one who hosted it and I trust his opinion.

He said the blacks are as deep if not better than the elite. The viewing angle is much improved over the ES8000 and Elite. He never noticed before how the black levels and colors would wash out like they do as he goes to the side of the TV. Once I asked him to check for it, he said he could see the Elite wash out and the Samsung stay the same. The only time he saw a difference was when he went to an extreme viewing angle on either side of the TV. I was sooooo glad to hear that. He said the picture on this TV has to be seen in person to be believed. He checked the TV after the store closed and he could turn all the lights out. Played a blu-ray movie with letterbox bars and saw absolutely no light bleed from the corners. I was stoked to hear that.

After saying all this, I purchased this TV online today and should have it late next week. Can't wait to see it in person, but I'm still nervous about trusting someone's opinion other than my own. Luckily, the website I purchased from offers a 60 day money back guarantee. I would only be out $100 for return shipping. I'll keep you guys posted.

PS - It's a shame they didn't use this same technology in the ES8000 Series. I guess it's another way for them to justify the steep price tag on the 9000.

Edit - Just found this review a couple minutes ago. Sounds promising but not sure how valid this source really is. You can read it here: http://www.blitzreview.com/tv/samsung-un75es9000.html

#28 ·
That's quite a big purchase to make based off of a salesman's opinion on the phone....I hope it works out for you. I can't imagine what would make the viewing angle that much better on the ES9K, unless Samsung makes 75" PLS panels now. The main problem I have is, it isn't exactly easy to see flashlighting/banding imperfections on a showroom floor as these anomalies rarely show up under bright lighting or under casual viewing. I look forward to your report though!

#29 ·
I was able to "attend" the Samsung presentation event via skype at Video and Audio Center in Santa Monica, CA.

Being in Los Angeles on 8/17, I went to the store to look at their display model. The off angle viewing seemed fine. Unfortunately my salesperson did not know as much as I did about this model.

2D movie "Hugo" was the blu ray showing. The PQ was the best I have ever seen.. It was hard to discern black levels, because the set was not in a low light level environment. SD channels on Direct t.v. looked perfectly acceptable.

I purchased it from Amazon.com a few days ago.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread#post_22354284

That's quite a big purchase to make based off of a salesman's opinion on the phone....I hope it works out for you. I can't imagine what would make the viewing angle that much better on the ES9K, unless Samsung makes 75" PLS panels now. The main problem I have is, it isn't exactly easy to see flashlighting/banding imperfections on a showroom floor as these anomalies rarely show up under bright lighting or under casual viewing. I look forward to your report though!

You're telling me. LOL. I put all my faith into what this guy was telling me as well as what I've been reading on the internet. I hope I don't regret this purchase.

I'm not expecting plasma like viewing angles, I just don't want to see such an enourmous drop in picture quality by moving over two spaces on my couch. Luckily, the gentleman I spoke with said he tested the flashlighting after store hours when he could turn the lights out in the showroom. I'll know in a couple weeks and keep you guys posted on my findings. BTW, the website I purchased from offers a 60 day return policy so worst case scenario, I'm out $100 to ship it back. I'm hoping my long tv search will be done once I get this TV.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread#post_22354296

I was able to "attend" the Samsung presentation event via skype at Video and Audio Center in Santa Monica, CA.

Being in Los Angeles on 8/17, I went to the store to look at their display model. The off angle viewing seemed fine. Unfortunately my salesperson did not know as much as I did about this model.

2D movie "Hugo" was the blu ray showing. The PQ was the best I have ever seen.. It was hard to discern black levels, because the set was not in a low light level environment. SD channels on Direct t.v. looked perfectly acceptable.

I purchased it from Amazon.com a few days ago.

Nice to hear Remlee. Sounds like you'll get your ES9000 before I do. Please let us know how it looks in your house and post any pictures of that sexy beast
Congrats!

#32 ·
Hey Guys. I called the freight company handling the shipping of my Samsung UN75ES9000 this morning. They told me I would get a call later today to setup delivery for Wdnesday or Thursday. I told the lady I was speaking with that I will be out of town starting tomorrow morning until late Friday night and I would hate to have to wait until next Monday. She called one of the drivers and they are going to deliver today between 8 am and 12 pm!!!!!

I'm so excited. But nervous at the same time. So many things can go wrong with delivery, and not to mention what problems I might see with this $9,000 tv. I will post some pictures and early impressions to let everyone know how this compares with the ES8000. I owned both the 60" and 65" of the ES8000 before taking them back for this lovely beast. I will not throw out accusations such as best tv I've ever seen or amazing black levels better than the elite or vt50. At least not until I've had a week or two to mess with it

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22369487

I eagerly await your review!

Thanks. You and me both
I'll make sure to post plenty of pics and be happy to test or answer any questions people have for this tv. I hate that I'll only have this afternoon and evening to mess with it before I go out of town for a couple nights.

#38 ·
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22388764

Hey JewDaddy: How is the ES9000 treating you?

I get mine tomorrow.

Hey Remlee. So I've had all weekend to really mess with the ES9000 and after debating with my wife and with myself, I'm having the tv picked up tomorrow and returned for a refund. I'm not doing this because I think the picture is by any means bad, I just can't sleep at night knowing I paid $9,000 for a tv that I can basically get the same in 65" for $3,499.. I don't want to rain on your parade and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts but for me personally, this tv is nowhere near worth the asking price.

Im not going to start a Samsung bashing or go on a angry tirade. My main issue with this tv is that it's basically the ES8000 with two features from the D8000 added back in. Doesn't make sense at all and I believe that calling this tv a 9000 series as opposed to an 8000 is a marketing scam. This tv had no superior processing other than bringing Cinema Black and Smart LED back into the menu. Again, two features that were found in last years D8000. I see no difference in picture quality from either tv other than increased brightness and slightly increased black levels due to Cinema Black turning off the LEDs behind the letterbox bars.

I guess it's my fault for buying into all the hype and not viewing it in person first. I just can't justify this price. However, the black levels are very good, and I've yet to see any flashlighting, clouding or banding that I saw on both the D8000 and ES8000. At least I can say the quality control on this tv seems much better than the other Models. I just think its crazy that there's no superior picture options or improvements. Motion handling is the same and just as bad as the other samsungs, same with lag input. I don't understand how they can call this a superior tv than the ES8000 by bringing back two features from last years model that they intentionally left out of the ES8000. Also, I'm not sure if its due to increased brightness or size but the 3D has much more crosstalk than the ES8000. Just very disappointed.

Anyways, I'm not trying to cause trouble, just wanted to give my honest opinion. Good luck!

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22390436

Code:
Hey Remlee. So I've had all weekend to really mess with the ES9000 and after debating with my wife and with myself, I'm having the tv picked up tomorrow and returned for a refund. I'm not doing this because I think the picture is by any means bad, I just can't sleep at night knowing I paid $9,000 for a tv that I can basically get the same in 65" for $3,499.. I don't want to rain on your parade and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts but for me personally, this tv is nowhere near worth the asking price.

Im not going to start a Samsung bashing or go on a angry tirade. My main issue with this tv is that it's basically the ES8000 with two features from the D8000 added back in. Doesn't make sense at all and I believe that calling this tv a 9000 series as opposed to an 8000 is a marketing scam. This tv had no superior processing other than bringing Cinema Black and Smart LED back into the menu. Again, two features that were found in last years D8000. I see no difference in picture quality from either tv other than increased brightness and slightly increased black levels due to Cinema Black turning off the LEDs behind the letterbox bars.

I guess it's my fault for buying into all the hype and not viewing it in person first. I just can't justify this price. However, the black levels are very good, and I've yet to see any flashlighting, clouding or banding that I saw on both the D8000 and ES8000. At least I can say the quality control on this tv seems much better than the other Models. I just think its crazy that there's no superior picture options or improvements. Motion handling is the same and just as bad as the other samsungs, same with lag input. I don't understand how they can call this a superior tv than the ES8000 by bringing back two features from last years model that they intentionally left out of the ES8000. Also, I'm not sure if its due to increased brightness or size but the 3D has much more crosstalk than the ES8000. Just very disappointed.

Anyways, I'm not trying to cause trouble, just wanted to give my honest opinion. Good luck!

So what's next? Back to the 8000?

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22390436

Code:

yup, typical Samsung switch and bait if you will. just like when they stole some proprietary stuff back when they produced the 8500 and now with Apple.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22390549

So what's next? Back to the 8000?

Not sure Op's. I'm thinking about the 70" Sharp Elite. But, I'm hearing alot of talk about the new Sony 65HX950 and on top of that, people are saying that a new Elite might be announced shortly. So for now, looks like my trusty Samsung 61" DLP is coming back up to the mancave. My wife is not looking forward to moving it back upstairs again. Lol.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22390806

Not sure Op's. I'm thinking about the 70" Sharp Elite. But, I'm hearing alot of talk about the new Sony 65HX950 and on top of that, people are saying that a new Elite might be announced shortly. So for now, looks like my trusty Samsung 61" DLP is coming back up to the mancave. My wife is not looking forward to moving it back upstairs again. Lol.

Well best of luck with the next adventure.

Going to watch the new panel for the next couple weeks. So far it looks really good. Samsung is giving the option of either a replacement set or a refund due a flaw in the new panel under the top layer. Can only be seen seen while the set is off. Tech still said Samsung will want to do one or the other. Stay tuned.

#44 ·
I can only imagine they wont be selling a lot of these unless that price is HIGHLY discount from MSRP...like 50% off

First off

why is this TV not a full array?

Next...you have Tv's like the new Panny VT 50 that would probably embarrass this TV...granted on 65"....but its 1/3 of the price

I would rather save 4-5K and upgrade my sound system

Warren

#45 ·
My ES9000 was delivered yesterday. My Home Theater guru set it up and told me that it had the best black levels he had ever seen in a LED tv.

So far the pq is extraordinary. The off angle viewing was fine, much better than my 70 inch LCOS JVC with 2006 technology. I put the OPPO 93 on the set and tried the movie Hugo in 3D and 5.1. It was breathtaking.

Hand gestures work fine. Still learning about this baby.

#46 ·
Saw this set at Magnolia today. I have no idea what the hell they were playing. Looked like some sort of animated promo in TORCH mode and looked awful.I didn't bother to ask for remote and to see something else. Will pop in again.

I will say the bezel looks nice in a subtle color of gold but I do prefer the gun metal of my Elite. It's a metal matte bezel and looks great to me.

I will also say that 75 inches is just great. You would not think a jump from 65 to 70 or 70 to 75 is significant but it is. Putting the crappy demo aside the set is very very nice looking.

I think they should have put all the feature crap aside and not introduced a set of this calibar as edge lit. There is no way it can compete with local dimming sets.

Maybe Samsung is winning the race with useless apps and this hand motion crap but what a shame. Most people spending this kind of money will use a universal remote with their audio system. There is no need to touch the screen, flap your arms like a bird or talk to it.

Great looking set from a design standpoint. Great at 75 inches. That demo material in torch ugh. Need to go back again.

Rick

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22397108

Almaden Road off 85 in San Jose, CA.

The Magnolia is in Best Buy.

Best Buy

5065 Almaden Expressway

San Jose, CA 95118

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/30#post_22397079

What Magnolia store? Please.

Not sure where you live but there's also a Magnolia Store here in Atlanta that has it on display.

It's funny because when I talked with the sales people in the Magnolia room, even though the Samsung is more expensive, they still said the Elite blows the picture out of the water. Maybe there's a bigger profit margin involved with the Elite but either way, they're definitely pushing the Elite over the Sammy. Like I said in my previous posts, I didn't send back the tv because I thought the picture quality was bad by any means, it was just the price. Samsung should not be able to charge that much money for an Edge lit set. They can call it Micro Dimming or whatever the crap they want to but it's not full array and they just added two features back from last year's D8000. If the tv was $5,500 - $6,000, I might consider it again, but no way at $9,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.