AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung UN75ES9000 Thread

52K views 309 replies 74 participants last post by  RigorousXChris 
#1 ·
O.K. guys...... who knows where and when this will be available in August?

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23007926

Here is an excellent review.

http://www.hometheater.com/

Wow! That's a rather impressive review, and Tom Norton is hardly a newbie when it comes to this stuff. He actually went so far as to say:

" ... the UN75ES9000 produced the best 3D I’ve yet seen anywhere, either from a home display or (apart from sheer screen size) in a commercial theater—challenged (but not bettered) only by a good, two-projector IMAX presentation."

That's quite a statement! Interestingly, he didn't notice any of the flashlighting or clouding that has been such a prevalent complaint in these forums. This leads me to believe that either Samsung made sure to give him a problem free example, or the later runs have less issues. Hopefully, the latter is true. Given the fact that the new F8000 is supposed to improve the backlighting even further, we may be in for a real treat with the 2013 models.

#230 ·
I've tried to explain to members that visit this forum that the 9000 does not exhibit flashlighting like the 8000 series and other previous Samsung models.

I have not had a problem with flashlighting in my set. Ever.

Best television I've ever owned. By far. Not cheap, but when posters try and lump the 9000 in with previous edge lit sets and talk about flashlighting, they either don't own the set. Or, they haven't spent enough time viewing one in a store to realize that this particular edge lit actually works.

It would be a real homerun for buyers if the new 8000 series coming out this year perform as well as the 9000 did from last year. Particularly if they sell at a lower price point.

#231 ·
I have been looking for a thorough review ever since Samsung announced it, and I started this thread. Its good to have validation in my choice. Perhaps the reason that this thread is not all that busy is because most if not all actual owners are HAPPY with the purchase.

That old bromide "you get what you pay for" certainly rings true here.

#232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23014913

Perhaps the reason that this thread is not all that busy is because most if not all actual owners are HAPPY with the purchase.

Hopefully, this is true. I also think the fact that it's so expensive is another key reason why the thread isn't very active. There just aren't a lot of these sets out there.

#233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23014188

Wow! That's a rather impressive review, and Tom Norton is hardly a newbie when it comes to this stuff. He actually went so far as to say:

" ... the UN75ES9000 produced the best 3D I’ve yet seen anywhere, either from a home display or (apart from sheer screen size) in a commercial theater—challenged (but not bettered) only by a good, two-projector IMAX presentation."

That's quite a statement! Interestingly, he didn't notice any of the flashlighting or clouding that has been such a prevalent complaint in these forums. This leads me to believe that either Samsung made sure to give him a problem free example, or the later runs have less issues. Hopefully, the latter is true. Given the fact that the new F8000 is supposed to improve the backlighting even further, we may be in for a real treat with the 2013 models.

Even though I returned my ES9000, I experienced no flashlighting or clouding. As far as black levels are concerned, top notch. It's only outdone by the Elite. I had some issues with crosstalk in 3D mode at first, but after messing with a couple settings, best 3D experience I've ever had at home. Damn! Why did I return this again???? Lol

#236 ·
I'm kind of on the fence at the moment. I have had some flashlighting in the corners. Nothing horrible, but just enough to irritate me that the tv is as expensive as it is. I am currently looking at whether or not I can take the plunge on a LG84LM9600 from Cleveland Plasma. Looks like an amazing deal, just have to see if I can swing it as it is above what I had budgeted. I also have an opportunity to get a 65ZT60 when they are released. I am partial to the plasma picture, just really not wanting to give up so many inches. Of course I can also see if the 75F8000 has any improvement on the issues I see on mine. Few flaws aside, the size is very nice and the PQ is not embarrassed by being compared to the Elite.

#237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23016178

Yes. I'd like to know the answer to this as well, and what TV did you end up going with instead?

I think he went with a DLP....Mitsubishi WD-82840 - 82" 120Hz 1080p DLP 3D HDTV

Under $2,000 also.

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23016211

I'm kind of on the fence at the moment. I have had some flashlighting in the corners. Nothing horrible, but just enough to irritate me that the tv is as expensive as it is. I am currently looking at whether or not I can take the plunge on a LG84LM9600 from Cleveland Plasma. Looks like an amazing deal, just have to see if I can swing it as it is above what I had budgeted. I also have an opportunity to get a 65ZT60 when they are released. I am partial to the plasma picture, just really not wanting to give up so many inches. Of course I can also see if the 75F8000 has any improvement on the issues I see on mine. Few flaws aside, the size is very nice and the PQ is not embarrassed by being compared to the Elite.

What flaws do you notice or bother you?

Flashlighting in the corners you mention. Some others say they don't see it. Wonder if it's luck of the draw.

#239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23016178

Yes. I'd like to know the answer to this as well, and what TV did you end up going with instead?

The main reason I sent the tv back was due to picture quality not matching the price tag. I owned the 2011 Samsung 65" D8000. After three replacements due to extreme flashlighting and clouding, I stepped up to the 65" Samsung ES8000. The picture quality was good but there was some flashlighting and clouding, just not as bad as the D8000. Sent it back and went with the Panasonic 65VT50. I loved the viewing angles and rich colors but the dithering bothered the crap out of me. I couldn't look past it as hard as I tried.

I then went with the 70" Sharp Elite. After almost 30 days, I sent it back to Best Buy also. That by far is the biggest regret I have with all my tv purchases. I ended up getting one from Best buy for $6,000 and when the 75es9000 was announced, I bought into the hype. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Elite. It was damn near perfect other than the occasional pulsing.

I honestly thought the ES9000 would be the closest thing to OLED picture quality without getting and OLED. I bought the ES9000 and was surprised by how similar the picture quality was to the ES8000. The main difference were slightly improved black levels and no issues with clouding and flashlighting. Everything else was identical. I just expected more out of the tv for the extra $5,000 to jump from the 65" to the 75". To me personally, it wasn't justified.

Be kind rewind is right. I ended up with the 82" Mits 840 series DLP. It's been a great tv and because of the amazing deal I got for it, it was a little easier to overcome the picture quality shortcomings. I tend to be alot more critical on my electronics as the price tag goes up.

I just sold my 82" last week on Craigslist and am currently enjoying my Sony 55HX850 in my bedroom. It has a fantastic picture quality and for the price, nothing else comes close. I'm going to wait and see what gets released this year before I get another tv for my mancave. It's been a bumpy ride so far and I'm hoping that there's a tv around the corner that will finally make me happy
And it doesn't help that my wife is ready to kill me. Lol

Look, if someone has the money to spend on a big screen tv and they want great quality, the es9000 is a good choice. Just not for me.

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/240#post_23016366

I then went with the 70" Sharp Elite. After almost 30 days, I sent it back to Best Buy also. That by far is the biggest regret I have with all my tv purchases. I ended up getting one from Best buy for $6,000 and when the 75es9000 was announced, I bought into the hype. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Elite. It was damn near perfect other than the occasional pulsing.

I've loved the Sharp Elites ever since I first saw one on the Magnolia showroom floor. If they had made an 80" version, I would own it. Coming from a 60", I just wasn't thrilled with the idea of only gaining 10 more inches. That's why I've been sitting back and waiting to see what else would come out. I was hoping for a bunch of new large full array local dimming sets to be announced at CES. Unfortunately, this was not the case, so now all my hopes are riding on the F8000. If it is as good or better than the ES9000 and is less money, I may take the plunge.

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/240#post_23017965

I've loved the Sharp Elites ever since I first saw one on the Magnolia showroom floor. If they had made an 80" version, I would own it. Coming from a 60", I just wasn't thrilled with the idea of only gaining 10 more inches. That's why I've been sitting back and waiting to see what else would come out. I was hoping for a bunch of new large full array local dimming sets to be announced at CES. Unfortunately, this was not the case, so now all my hopes are riding on the F8000. If it is as good or better than the ES9000 and is less money, I may take the plunge.

+1

#242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/210#post_23016240

What flaws do you notice or bother you?

Flashlighting in the corners you mention. Some others say they don't see it. Wonder if it's luck of the draw.

Flashlighting in the corners, but not all the time, the dimming for black bars eliminates most of it on most movies. I do notice lighter left and right edges and I know that is the edge lighting, but it still bugs me at the price point this tv is at. There is some occasional material that has bright center on dark background that also shows the limits of the edge lighting. I have stated it before, but will say again that the only things I find objectionable on this tv are all a result of two things, 1) the price, this is definitely an upper echelon tv when it comes to price, when you slap a $10,000 price-tag on a tv in this day and age, it had better be damn near perfect, 2) I am a plasma guy, I like the picture I have gotten from my plasma tv's. Problem is they max out at 65" . I do want the extra screen size so I have been looking at LCD's. I have had the 80LE844U, and contrary to the love-fest over in the owners thread the PQ is on par with the 50G10 I bought 4 years ago that had horrible blacks. The crosstalk and ghosting on 3D movies made it unwatchable for 3D. I would have gotten the 70" Elite, but it seems like the Nov. 2012 final production run is like entering a lottery that you have little chance of winning. So I went with the 75ES9000. I may exchange for the demo model at the shop I got mine from as the edges and corners look better than mine. If it weren't for those issues it is a very good tv, although I don't think I will ever say it is a good value. I didn't buy it for value, I bought it for the PQ, so thats what I expect and so far it comes pretty close, but is not living up to the PQ I expect for the price.

#245 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/240#post_23018437

Flashlighting in the corners, but not all the time, the dimming for black bars eliminates most of it on most movies. I do notice lighter left and right edges and I know that is the edge lighting, but it still bugs me at the price point this tv is at. There is some occasional material that has bright center on dark background that also shows the limits of the edge lighting. I have stated it before, but will say again that the only things I find objectionable on this tv are all a result of two things, 1) the price, this is definitely an upper echelon tv when it comes to price, when you slap a $10,000 price-tag on a tv in this day and age, it had better be damn near perfect, 2) I am a plasma guy, I like the picture I have gotten from my plasma tv's. Problem is they max out at 65" . I do want the extra screen size so I have been looking at LCD's. I have had the 80LE844U, and contrary to the love-fest over in the owners thread the PQ is on par with the 50G10 I bought 4 years ago that had horrible blacks. The crosstalk and ghosting on 3D movies made it unwatchable for 3D. I would have gotten the 70" Elite, but it seems like the Nov. 2012 final production run is like entering a lottery that you have little chance of winning. So I went with the 75ES9000. I may exchange for the demo model at the shop I got mine from as the edges and corners look better than mine. If it weren't for those issues it is a very good tv, although I don't think I will ever say it is a good value. I didn't buy it for value, I bought it for the PQ, so thats what I expect and so far it comes pretty close, but is not living up to the PQ I expect for the price.

I'm really sorry to hear about the lighter edges and occasional flashlighting on your set. That's a real shame. If you are certain that the demo model at the shop you purchased from does not have the same problems, I would highly recommend you switch out.

I previously owned a 55inch Samsung B8000 which suffered from some flashlighting and clouding. Once you know it's there, it's hard to accept the flaw. The picture was otherwise great, but I just couldn't be completely satisfied.

My ES9000 has been a game changer for me. I can honestly say that I'm completely satisfied with this television. I really have no flashlighting, clouding or even slightly lighter left and right edges on the set. Even in dark scenes with a bright center. The color uniformity is solid and I have been unable to detect any banding on the set at all.

So, is the set perfect? Well, not completely. I have noticed that when I have "Cinema Black" turned on and have a dark background with rolling credits, I sometimes get a pulsing between slightly lighter and darker where the black bars are underneath. It's kinda weird looking, but I have never noticed it during anything other than the rolling credits. If I notice it happening during regular scenes, I'd probably have to either turn off Cinema Black or re-evaluate my opinion of the set.

I sit about 9 feet from the screen. What I've also come to realize, is that from this distance, a 75 inch screen has the ability to much more completely immerse you in the movie. I have found myself going back and rewatching all of my bluray movies and it's almost like watching them for the first time again. You wouldn't think that the extra screen size could make that much of a difference, but it does!

I have a question for others on here who own the set. I read the "Home Theater" review that was linked earlier in this thread. It appears that I'm not the only one impressed with this television. However, I also dialed in the settings given at the end of the review. I've been spending a lot of time viewing the set with the new settings and for the most part, I'm pleased with the results. I've noticed that the colors look more natural versus the settings I was using before. Previously I had only made use of a DVD calibration disk I've had for some time.

What I'm having trouble with, is that the picture looks considerably darker to me. Almost like there's a grayish cast over the picture versus what it looked like before. Don't get me wrong, I now realize that the changes made by using the recommended settings in the article have made the colors look more lifelike and natural. It's just that there's more of a dull feel to it now. On balance I like the improvements more than what I think I've lost in "punch". So, I'll keep the new settings.

Have any other owners on here dialed in the recommended settings from the HT article? If so, I'd love to hear what your experience has been. I have never watched my televisions in "torch" mode. But, maybe I've just never really watched a picture that was truly calibrated close to what was intended.

If others have thoughts, please share.

#246 ·
Stocks4you, I've also tried them. Have not done extensive watching so far. But my first impressions are not too good. You are right. They seem to produce an image that is too dull. Have to see more material, but for now, I like it better per instance if I copy the settings of cnet for the ES8000.

Also some of the options they turn off, I think that having them on produce a better image.

I

#247 ·
Sorry pressed submit before intended.

I was saying that I actually find that Standard mode produces a better image in some movies. Blacks are better. But in some movies with grain, this setting produces too much of it. So what i do for now, is start in standard. If the movie is filmed with grain and the effect is too much, I normally change to movie mode.

#248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoks4you  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/240#post_23023824

I'm really sorry to hear about the lighter edges and occasional flashlighting on your set. That's a real shame. If you are certain that the demo model at the shop you purchased from does not have the same problems, I would highly recommend you switch out.

I previously owned a 55inch Samsung B8000 which suffered from some flashlighting and clouding. Once you know it's there, it's hard to accept the flaw. The picture was otherwise great, but I just couldn't be completely satisfied.

My ES9000 has been a game changer for me. I can honestly say that I'm completely satisfied with this television. I really have no flashlighting, clouding or even slightly lighter left and right edges on the set. Even in dark scenes with a bright center. The color uniformity is solid and I have been unable to detect any banding on the set at all.

So, is the set perfect? Well, not completely. I have noticed that when I have "Cinema Black" turned on and have a dark background with rolling credits, I sometimes get a pulsing between slightly lighter and darker where the black bars are underneath. It's kinda weird looking, but I have never noticed it during anything other than the rolling credits. If I notice it happening during regular scenes, I'd probably have to either turn off Cinema Black or re-evaluate my opinion of the set.

I sit about 9 feet from the screen. What I've also come to realize, is that from this distance, a 75 inch screen has the ability to much more completely immerse you in the movie. I have found myself going back and rewatching all of my bluray movies and it's almost like watching them for the first time again. You wouldn't think that the extra screen size could make that much of a difference, but it does!

I have a question for others on here who own the set. I read the "Home Theater" review that was linked earlier in this thread. It appears that I'm not the only one impressed with this television. However, I also dialed in the settings given at the end of the review. I've been spending a lot of time viewing the set with the new settings and for the most part, I'm pleased with the results. I've noticed that the colors look more natural versus the settings I was using before. Previously I had only made use of a DVD calibration disk I've had for some time.

What I'm having trouble with, is that the picture looks considerably darker to me. Almost like there's a grayish cast over the picture versus what it looked like before. Don't get me wrong, I now realize that the changes made by using the recommended settings in the article have made the colors look more lifelike and natural. It's just that there's more of a dull feel to it now. On balance I like the improvements more than what I think I've lost in "punch". So, I'll keep the new settings.

Have any other owners on here dialed in the recommended settings from the HT article? If so, I'd love to hear what your experience has been. I have never watched my televisions in "torch" mode. But, maybe I've just never really watched a picture that was truly calibrated close to what was intended.

If others have thoughts, please share.

As a previous owner of many Samsung TV's, (including this one) I would find the problem anytime I used the "Cinema" or "Movie" mode. No matter how I tweaked the settings, it always had the grayish cast as you described. From then on, I calibrated mine using the "Standard" mode. Yes, you might lose a little bit of shadow detail, but the tradeoff to me was worth it. I'll lose a little shadow detail if it means keeping the punch and wow factor in my picture.

#250 ·
My TV showed up today. I didn't get too much time to mess with it, but it looks good to me. I haven't seen any clouding, banding or light bleed like I saw on my UN65C8000. I am happy so far.

#251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman013  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/240#post_23044655

My TV showed up today. I didn't get too much time to mess with it, but it looks good to me. I haven't seen any clouding, banding or light bleed like I saw on my UN65C8000. I am happy so far.

Congrats!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.