AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung UN75ES9000 Thread

52K views 309 replies 74 participants last post by  RigorousXChris 
#1 ·
O.K. guys...... who knows where and when this will be available in August?

#278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23229411

The dimming can be defeated though. CE dimming is not even present in Movie mode, and adjusting brightness up and white point balance down also eliminates it !

yes but without dimming the black level is terrible compared to the plasma I came from. Especially with the backlight turned up. I had it at backlight of 7 to try and minimize flashlighting. Its really just too many compromises for a $10k tv. I tried so hard to get past the things I didn't like, but in the end the fact of the matter is that spending $10K on a tv that I stopped watching for weeks because of how much I kept comparing it unfavorably to the 55GT50 is was supposed to be an upgrade from just doesn't make sense. If every time I sat down to watch it I missed the tv it replaced, then it is obviously not the right tv for me. I wish others happy viewing, but for me, in the end I cannot justify spending that kind of money for a tv that I enjoy the most when it is turned off.

#279 ·
So does anyone still own this TV?

I purchased a Sharp Elite a few months ago from BB. They were showing Avengers and another demo disc which show off how well this set does with blacks. Got a great deal on an "OPEN BOX". The PQ is outstanding and I love the black level, so I picked it up with full warranty and calibration.

Unfortunately when I got home, I noticed that what I should have demo'd was a snowy mountain scene or something with a white background as there is a thumbprint sized dim area in the middle of the set that you only see on white or really bright scenes, but now that I have, I can't NOT see it.

After fighting with BB warranty for two months (they would not just swap out the unit since it was "open box"), they have finally determined that it really is bad and they will replace it. Yay right? Not quite. Now comes the reason for me being on this thread. Even though they had 2 on display two months ago, it turns out that now there is not another Sharp Elite 70" within 100 miles of me, so the replacement will be one of similar features. Closest thing I can find that is not half the TV is this Samsung ES9000, especially with the recent price drop down to $7K.

So, to make a long story short, what my real question is, if money wasn't a factor or you could have picked up this set for $7K, would you still have it?

Also, is there a break in period on this set and if so, how long? The guy that came to calibrate my Elite said it should have a couple hundred hours on it before they want to calibrate it.

#280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbo1  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23235200

So does anyone still own this TV?

I purchased a Sharp Elite a few months ago from BB. They were showing Avengers and another demo disc which show off how well this set does with blacks. Got a great deal on an "OPEN BOX". The PQ is outstanding and I love the black level, so I picked it up with full warranty and calibration.

Unfortunately when I got home, I noticed that what I should have demo'd was a snowy mountain scene or something with a white background as there is a thumbprint sized dim area in the middle of the set that you only see on white or really bright scenes, but now that I have, I can't NOT see it.

After fighting with BB warranty for two months (they would not just swap out the unit since it was "open box"), they have finally determined that it really is bad and they will replace it. Yay right? Not quite. Now comes the reason for me being on this thread. Even though they had 2 on display two months ago, it turns out that now there is not another Sharp Elite 70" within 100 miles of me, so the replacement will be one of similar features. Closest thing I can find that is not half the TV is this Samsung ES9000, especially with the recent price drop down to $7K.

So, to make a long story short, what my real question is, if money wasn't a factor or you could have picked up this set for $7K, would you still have it?

Also, is there a break in period on this set and if so, how long? The guy that came to calibrate my Elite said it should have a couple hundred hours on it before they want to calibrate it.

It largely depends on your viewing environment. I have mine in a light controlled room, walls painted a deep red, ceiling painted bronze-gold to cut down on reflected light. Not quite a bat cave but much darker than the average tv room. I have flashlighting in the corners that is pretty obvious when the tv is showing a mostly black image. The sharpness and color are very good. You will NOT get the same black level you enjoyed on the Elite, and to get "good" blacks on this tv you will need to engage at least one or more of the dimming features. These actually work surprisingly well considering the fact the it is edge lit, but they do occasionally have undesired effects on the picture.

I think I have been one of the most vocal people on this thread as far as the tv's shortcomings, and honestly, for me it is the cost vs performance ratio. This tv is not really "bad", but it is not worth more than half the original $10K pricetag either. For those of us coming from a tv with a better picture, like your Elite, it can be disappointing to see how bad the image is at this price range. Honestly, a closer tv in terms of performance would be the Sony HX950, I know you give up 5" on the Sony vs the Elite and gain 5" with the ES9000 but it is at least a full array local dimming set, vs the edge lighting on the ES9000.

IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

as for break-in, it doesn't use much electricity, so just leave it on for a few days,use slides or full screen material , on LCD's I don't think it makes much difference, but if that is what your calibrator is asking you to do, then you should follow their instructions.

#281 ·
I'm in the market for a 75" to 80" panel. The Sharp doesn't look as good to me as the ES9000. Do the ES9000 panels suffer form that horrible vertical banding that plagued the 65" ES8000 series ? I had the 65" and returned it because the banding was horrific and went for a 60" ES8000 which is far better. Do the ES9000 panels have the same issue ? I really don't mind spending the $$$$ but I can't tolerate vertical banding, period.

Or should I wait it out for this years F series 75" ? Is there any indication yet that it will be significantly better than the ES9000 ? I'm already reading reports of banding on the 55" F series, so it bothers me that the F series may not be any form of signifcpicant improvement.

#282 ·
Ok, I caved. Rather than waiting for the F series I got a good deal on an ES9000 today and jumped at it. The main reason for doing it was the fact that the ES9000 tech seems to be a test-bed for this year's panels., not really much of a difference on paper are when you compare the ES9000 vs the F series and I didn't have the worry of getting a 75" panel with vertical banding. The reports of 55" F series panels with vertical banding really bothered me, and I was not happy to gamble this time around because this purchase is seeing me through until 4K is established and affordable.

First impressions coming from a 60" ES8000 and formerly a faulty 65" ES8000. Holy flapping ****.... The size jump is immense. I read a few posts RE the difference in size between panels and had little idea that the 15" diagonal jump would have such a big impact on the viewable screen area but everything they say is true... 60" to 75" really is a 50% approx jump in screen real estate. It's like the first time you walk into a cinema, it's like the feeling of going from a 30" CRT to a big 55" flat panel.

Secondary impressions are very favourable. I've spun up a bluray on it and the picture quality is fantastic. I have a tiny bit of light bleed from edges, which I expected as it comes with the edge-lit territory ... Bear in mind that this is on standard mode and out of the box settings with no adjustment at all. I can see that the backlight needs to come down, along with brightness and contrast and the colours are too "poppy" out of the box.

So far, I have zero regrets and can't wait to wall mount this big beautiful panel on my new dark chocolate wall.

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp34  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23490577

also looking into a new TV these are my choices ?

Samsung UN75ES9000

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD

Any thoughts...

I was faced with the exact same decision. I ultimately chose to go with a floor model Sharp. It cost me thousands less, and has a better picture. If you're willing to to spend the money on the 75" Samsung, I'd recommend ponying up a little more and getting the 84" UHD LG.

#287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp34  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23494336

LG 84LM9600 $10,900

didn't get quite the good reviews as the others...

Elite PRO70X5FD $7,990.00

refub $5500

Samsung UN75ES9000 $5,797.99

refub $5500

Just curious, where did you read all the poor reviews?

#289 ·
The main complaint people have about the LG is that it has some vertical banding. Other than that, it seems like people are mostly blown away by the picture it produces. I would have strongly considered it instead of the 70" Elite, as I was in the market for a larger set. Unfortunately, they were still selling for $16,000 at the time, at that was just too steep. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Elite over the 75" Sammy because I thought it had a better overall picture. I figured I'd save money, enjoy the Elite for now, and then upgrade to an 80-90 inch UHD TV 4-5 years from now.

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23495339

The main complaint people have about the LG is that it has some vertical banding. Other than that, it seems like people are mostly blown away by the picture it produces. I would have strongly considered it instead of the 70" Elite, as I was in the market for a larger set. Unfortunately, they were still selling for $16,000 at the time, at that was just too steep. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Elite over the 75" Sammy because I thought it had a better overall picture. I figured I'd save money, enjoy the Elite for now, and then upgrade to an 80-90 inch UHD TV 4-5 years from now.

Yep, I can't argue about that. All of them to some degree or another have banding. On some sets It's very faint, while on others It's very prominent. Other that that, the PQ is phenomenal! And on a large variety of content this TV's PQ is jaw dropping! 3D is especially impressive! Nearly all LG 84" owners have zero complaints on black levels, colors, clouding, flashlighting, light bleed, motion blur, etc. If the banding is ever resolved, this TV's image quality is the best I have personally seen.

#291 ·
Chad B has left the building...

and left amazing results for both of the screens in the house.

The Samsung UN75ES9000 is looking great even though it is tuned to the Disney Channel most of the day. (The eight year old rules the roost smile.gif ) The results are as they say - from night to day. 2d and 3d are looking awesome.

The Panny 60/VT60 is drop dead gorgeous. I have been playing with a DIY calibration but the right tools and professional eye really make the difference. I have a great set of golf clubs but still aint no Tiger Woods or even a rank amateur but I do enjoy it. The same with having the "tools" of a calibrator. I bow to the experts as Chad is. The set is looking better than I could have hoped.

As for Chad's professional and dedication to perfection, I was very impressed. I am a consultant myself and understand the mindset needed for this type of business. Chad was on the mark with knowledge and explaining all the nuances that it entails. Of course I probably didn't help asking all my geek questions as my niece calls them.

Chad was prompt and professional to the core. I highly recommend him.

And he is just on of those "good guys" you are always happy to met.

Thanks Chad for the great work.

#292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23505291

Chad B has left the building...

and left amazing results for both of the screens in the house.

The Samsung UN75ES9000 is looking great even though it is tuned to the Disney Channel most of the day. (The eight year old rules the roost smile.gif ) The results are as they say - from night to day. 2d and 3d are looking awesome.

The Panny 60/VT60 is drop dead gorgeous. I have been playing with a DIY calibration but the right tools and professional eye really make the difference. I have a great set of golf clubs but still aint no Tiger Woods or even a rank amateur but I do enjoy it. The same with having the "tools" of a calibrator. I bow to the experts as Chad is. The set is looking better than I could have hoped.

As for Chad's professional and dedication to perfection, I was very impressed. I am a consultant myself and understand the mindset needed for this type of business. Chad was on the mark with knowledge and explaining all the nuances that it entails. Of course I probably didn't help asking all my geek questions as my niece calls them.

Chad was prompt and professional to the core. I highly recommend him.

And he is just on of those "good guys" you are always happy to met.

Thanks Chad for the great work.
Wow, a 75ES9000 and a 60VT60. Your house is obviously not lacking in the TV category.

#294 ·
Good question. I have not participated in this forum in quite a while ,but i am about to pull the trigger on the es9000. Am I nuts, or should I just purchase the 75 inch f 7100. I know it's my decision ,but i would be interested in hearing any thoughts on this. Thanks ,,,,,,,Joe

#295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgroveman  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23509459

Now that this is being discounted are there any thoughts about picking up the 75ES9000 vs 75F7100 since they are currently the same price. Could always add the EK to the es9000 for the newer smart hub. Or wait until the F8000 falls in price early next year?

Thanks

Lloyd

Samsung's site lists the UN75ES9000 as $7000

The UN75F7100 as $5000

The UN75ES9000 is the same price as the UN75F8000

Wonder why the UN75ES9000 is not discounted.

The ES9000 and F8000 will have better PQ over the F7100

Any confirmation about if there's any difference in PQ between the ES9000 and F8000?

If they're the same price, one would go for the F8000 for it has the quad core and other bells and whistles the ES9000 does not.

#297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOR  /t/1421113/official-samsung-un75es9000-thread/270#post_23523606

Thanks for your response . Just to confirm,I am nuts. I purchased the es9000 last night for $6000 at amazon. I didn't need the bells & whistles of the f8000 plus I could always upgrade with the evo kit . thanks again ...... Joe

I think Samsung made more changes than what the software evo kit will provide.

I heard Samsung moved the heat creating items in the F8000 to different locations than where they were in the ES line.

It seems the heat from those items were causing the flash lighting and clouding in the ES line.

Look at the back panel of the ES8000 line vs the back panel of the F line.

Maybe that does not apply to the ES9000?

Just throwing out that the F line seems to have made a big improvement in lack of halos, flashlighting and clouding.

#298 ·
I bought a ES9000 at BB on clearance for Half what it retailed for. It is being shipped from TX because they were out here in northern cali. I know they still have floor model here at 10% with 1 year manufacturer warranty. I would go into BB to look at TV's for the last month or two. They had the 7100 on display. These were retailing for $5500 (am I going to be shunned for prices?) In the back ground they had the TV I really wanted the ES9000. The PQ was so much better it deterred me from buying the 7100. On the 3rd or 4th go around of these a sales guy at another BB said the es9000 was being put on clearance for $5k and I immediately called the sales guy at Magnolia and said I am heading over order me up and get paperwork ready. This was a no brainer since they are still selling for over $6K used online. PM me and I will give you number of BB where floor model is. I know that they are pretty much out because he said NJ had a few and when I arrived he was shipping it from a TX BB. I can't wait since I have been looking at the Dark Grey "night scenes" of my first Gen Sharp 70" and hating it for the last year. Hope this helps some people.

Derreck

#299 ·
I also got a UN75ES9000 from BB...my first expensive all-video purchase and my first major purchase from BB. I'm more than happy so far but wonder if anyone would share their calibration settings? I'd like to try calibrating it myself with the Joe Kane disk but would love to compare with other enthusiasts. Also, can anyone comment on how uniform the optimal settings are between Samsung models? Many thanks.

#301 ·
Hey guys, new to the form but was wondering if you could help me out. I just bout the Samsun UN75ES9000, my old tv was the the 65 inch model. I want to use one of those picture style wire mounts again (so easy to install) for this one but can't seem to find one specifically for this tv. I found one on ebay at the link below , I know without the stand this tv weighs about 100 lbs, what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110966361767&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.