Looking for a better Surge/Power conditioner for our new LED TV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have our New 60" LED TV, DirecTV receiver, XBOX 360. PS3 plugged into a cheap APC surge protector and would like to get something a little better.

Which one of these would be the one to get:rolleyes.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-HT10DBS-10-Outlet-Suppressor/dp/B0002QPC28

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MKIII-8-Outlet-Power-Center/dp/B000PCVF3E/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343099530&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=monster+markiii

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-HDP-1800-8-Outlet-Center/dp/B001CBPWT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343099894&sr=1-1&keywords=monster+1800

I would like to keep it under $100. but a little extra is not out of the question.

What you guys think? Thanks.smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 AM

Liked: 32
Whole house protector at your main breaker panel, then just use a standard Surge protector as secondary. I get mine at Lowe's and have not had any problems with any that I have gotten from there. I have one of the 4320 Joule protector strips on our plasma, BD and dvr. No need for something that is overkill. BTW, forget monster. Way too overpriced.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

We have something on our meter from the electric company that is suppose to be some kind of protection but I don't think it's the same as "Whole house protection".rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We have been using the APC Line-R 1200 for years on all our HD tvs and computers. Excellent protection for surges as well as keeping power consistent.

We have many bad storms here and power fluctuation due to heat, etc. These protectors have done an excellent job.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343138076&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+line+r
post #5 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Hooterville, if it is between the meter and meter can, it is Whole structure surge protector. You should look at it to be sure, it should state on the device.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

It is between the meter and can. It does not look to be of great quality.
Here is a picture:

I believe that we are paying like $5.00 a month extra for this thing.eek.gif
post #7 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM

That would be a whole structure type surge. Best type to have, since it is installed at point of entrance. Can not get any better than those. The label on the top should give you model & manufacturer #, along with the bill should state "surge" protection or such.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, gregzoll
My wife had that thing put on the meter so long ago that I almost for got we had it.
So, out of these 3 surge protectors I have listed is one better then the other?
post #9 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM

For secondary, just go to Lowe's and get the $40 eight outlet strip with alarm. You can also get them at Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, or on Amazon. It is pretty loud and will tell you if there is a condition, since most of them sit behind units and are not easy to get to.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

For secondary, just go to Lowe's and get the $40 eight outlet strip with alarm. You can also get them at Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, or on Amazon. It is pretty loud and will tell you if there is a condition, since most of them sit behind units and are not easy to get to.

Yea, that is what we already have. I was just going to order one of the $79. Monster's or the $79. Tripp Lites and can't make up my mind. The Monster says 6,125 Joules and the Tripp if like 3840 Joules. Does this really mean anything? rolleyes.gif
post #11 of 24 Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 AM

You do not need the high joules, because you have the main surge protector. You are just paying for the name on either one.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

OK, Thanks.
So, me running around and unplugging all our equipment from the walls during a lighting storm is unnecessary with the whole house protector?smile.gif
post #13 of 24 Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Nothing is going to stop a lightening strike from destroying any electric using appliance, unless it is physically disconnected from the outlet on the wall. Using a Surge power strip on top of a already installed whole structure surge protection, is a secondary layer.

I have a whole house surge protector, and on top of that, I use surge power strips as a secondary layer, where ever we have electronic equipment plugged in. If I need to, I just flip the switch. Some use something like the Leviton Surge protector outlet vs. a surge strip, if all they need to protect, is one or two items, not six or more.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Nothing is going to stop a lightening strike from destroying any electric using appliance, unless it is physically disconnected from the outlet on the wall. Using a Surge power strip on top of a already installed whole structure surge protection, is a secondary layer.
I have a whole house surge protector, and on top of that, I use surge power strips as a secondary layer, where ever we have electronic equipment plugged in. If I need to, I just flip the switch. Some use something like the Leviton Surge protector outlet vs. a surge strip, if all they need to protect, is one or two items, not six or more.

This, I recently had a strike. I had plenty of surge protectors and the data center grade UPS and it got through that and killed everything. I know there are rods and all that stuff but what if the lightning hits the service pole? Your still screwed. The best protection as I learned the hard way is the unplug when there is a storm.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM

jhjerry, if it hits the pole, yes nothing is going to survive downstream, but the ground wire should disperse the majority of the strike, in theory before it even goes out the lines to any structures.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM

What is the best surge protector for new LED tv? Thanks.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
does anyone have an idea if apartment complexes have anything to prevent surges?
post #18 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongagain View Post

What is the best surge protector for new LED tv? Thanks.

The type of tv doesn't make a difference. It depends on your area and frequency of power outages or possibility of lightening strikes. For us, which have neither of those, I use an APC UPS for my HTS. It gives me protection and time to turn off my electronics should there be a prolonged or unexpected power outage. There are some very good surge protector strips out there but you need to educate yourself on what they can do and how. Keep in mind that a surge can also come in thru coax or HDMI depending on your setup, not just your power cord.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post

does anyone have an idea if apartment complexes have anything to prevent surges?

You'd probably have to contact the apartment owners for that. Some do , some don't. My suggestion would be to assume they don't and take precautions for your equipment.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post

Their grounding to the outlets should be up to code, the bonding to the ground rod and cold water pipe should also be up to code. As for the electrical panels, communication lines, that would be up to them if they wish to have, since those are not required. A Whole Panel surge protector is inexpensive, but good insurance for the building owner, same as them taking the time to also make sure that bedrooms have AFCI breakers, and bath, kitchen, garages, basements, outside outlets should have GFCI protection.

As for communication lines, L-Com makes very good Lightning protection for Data & Catv lines. Just having the static discharge for CATV is not enough, even though they may run a bonding wire from it to a strap on the side of the meter pan, who knows if the meter pan is bonded to a ground rod, unless an electrician has verified. Same with telephone bonding to ground. Who knows if the water pipe they attached to, is Copper all the way out to the meter at the street.

First thing I did when we moved into our place, was install a Whole panel protector from Intermatic, and properly bond the telephone line from ATT to the ground rod. Also brought all electrical up to code. The only thing that I refuse to do, is install AFCI breakers. 1) Due to cost, and 2) Still too young of a technology still at this point, and 3) Not required under the grandfathered code for this place. I probably will put them in once I get done with our Kitchen, since I am still in the midst of a Kitchen remodeling. Then I will also have all the rest of some electric runs that are over 70 years old upgraded, so that I can get the AFCI breakers to do what they are supposed to, not trip all the time, because I still have some old wiring runs in a couple of places.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 AM

Monster HDP1800 shutting off and rebooting?

My HDP1800 works fine for over a year.  Suddenly and intermittently, it completely shuts down and reboots.  It, of course, takes down my entire home theater in the process.  The digital voltage display generally sits around 120/121.  When it is rebooting it cycles up to 120 again, sometimes holding it tentatively and then completely dropping and rebooting.  Anyone have any idea what this is?  Thanks

post #22 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Lighting aside, (unplug things you're concerned about when lighting is around) power conditioners outperform surge strips.

Check this out:
http://ecmweb.com/content/surge-strips-vs-plug-power-conditioners

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #23 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM

If you've ever wondered how surge protector strips are different from plug-in power conditioners, you're not alone. The enormous difference in price makes surge strips especially attractive to many people.To make matters more confusing, manufacturers of these different devices often don't point out the performance differences, which are significant. 1ZHqrKIf you buy any power protection device (including power strips) without knowing the facts you may find you've purchased far less protection than you thought. The difference between a plug-in surge protector strip and plug-in power conditioner is more than just price. As you will see, surge strips are capable of providing only rudimentary protection.

post #24 of 24 Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospow View Post

If you've ever wondered how surge protector strips are different from plug-in power conditioners, you're not alone. The enormous difference in price makes surge strips especially attractive to many people.To make matters more confusing, manufacturers of these different devices often don't point out the performance differences, which are significant. 1ZHqrK

Plus folks, if you hang out in the high end forums section, or talk to any qualified AV salesmen, you'll find that the cheap power strips may perform so badly that it will negatively affect the system, with now lower quality sound and picture than if that product was not introduced.

It's like the saying you get what you pay for. Some products add value and some products are like snake oil. Hdmi is a good example. Do a search about hdmi cables and you'll find that the cheap one are just as good as the expensive ones, no difference at all. (Apples to apple as comparing 1.3 to 1.3 versions) Monoprice sells well made hdmi cables for under $10. Big name brands will sell them for hundreds of dollars and professional reviewers who test them say there is no difference at all. Google it.

Anyway back to power strips vs line conditioners vs power conditioners etc. If you have a nice system, invest in the protection devices made for AV gear. Not a cheap $5 power strip you buy at the hardware store. That cheap power strip is robbing your system of the goodness it has, and as the article I posted prior points out, it may not even provide the protection you're system requires.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Microsoft Xbox , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page